Double Crassus All The Way Across The Table

Moonstalker

Okaaaay... I might've part of the shipped a little too hard here, but I just had this idea for a list after seeing that I could get Space Marine Crews for all Imperial superheavies.  I don't think I actually intend on making this.  I just had to spec it out because it seemed too silly/cool not to.

Centurion

-Master of Signal, Artificer Armor

Legion Terminator Squad

-5 Members, 4 Powerfists, 1 Chainfist

Legion Terminator Squad

-5 Members, 4 Powerfists, 1 Chainfist

Apothecarion

-2 Apothecaries

Legion Tactical Squad

-19 Members, Sergeant with Artificer Armor, Meltabomb, Powerfist

Legion Tactical Squad

-19 Members, Sergeant with Artificer Armor, Meltabomb, Powerfist

Legion Support Squad

-5 Members, 4 Plasmaguns

Legion Support Squad

-5 Members, 4 Plasmaguns

Legion Heavy Support Squad

-5 Members, 5 Missile Launchers, Flakk Missiles, Augury Scanner

Land Raider Phobos

Crassus Armored Transport

-Space Marine Crew, 2 front sponson lascannons, 2 side sponson autocannons

Crassus Armored Transport

-Space Marine Crew, 2 front sponson lascannons, 2 side sponson autocannons

2500 on the dot.  How does it work?  It's simple.

You put 19 tactical marines, 1 apothecary, 5 terminators, and 5 support marines inside each Crassus transport, and then you murder people with them.  Two superheavy transports rolling up the table, each filled with 3 scoring units, carrying enough anti-tank to support them, enough plasma to brutalize any MCs or terminators you come across, terminators of your own for melee support, and enough bolter fire to massacre any lesser infantry you encounter.  And there's a land raider carrying a missile squad and centurion to back them up, too.  16 HP of AV14, 6 lascannons, 5 missile launchers, 4 autocannons, and 8 plasma guns.

Each Crassus is basically an army in a box.  It just blows my mind what you can do with a transport that big, especially given its weapon loadout and a decent BS.  I'm sure if someone wanted to actually use this list/idea they could tidy it up a bit.  Maybe give each Crassus 4 lascannons instead of a mix of lascannons/autocannons, figure out something tidier than the Master of Signals/Missile Launcher Squad/Land Raider combo, find points to give the tactical squads vexillas, etc.  I just had to let this bit of madness out of my brain.

How about them Stormlords? smile.png

That's the thing, the Stormlord only has 5 more transport capacity and is about 200 points more expensive. On top of which, it has 9 hull points - per the updated LoW rules on page 163 of book two, you can only have one of them.

Also, it only moves 6 inches per turn. The Crassus moves 12.

Filling my mind with crazy ideas. I'd overlooked the 'any superheavy' amendment to the Lord of War rules!

Multiple Praetor Launchers biggrin.png
A Pair of Minotaurs tongue.png !

Very cool, if flawed idea. I feel at least one would get shot to pieces, being obvious high-impact targets. Leaving a full half of your army out of position. I'd love to see this used in a game and written up into a report with pics. Probably never happen, but one can dream!
I wonder if it might work at 2000pts if you had 1 Crassus with a small fleet of Rhino's accompanying it?

edit:
Thinking about it... I'll have 40 tactical Marines, some Apothecaries, Cataphractii and a Master of Signal soon enough. I'm bound to have plasma guns coming out of my ears eventually. I could do this!

One Crassus at 2k is possibly better than one Spartan at the same points level.  While the Crassus' protection is poorer and its rear ramp makes disembarkation a little more troublesome, I think the Crassus is actually slightly more difficult to kill just because of the additional hull point and being a superheavy (cannot be killed with an explodes result, unless that explodes result removes its last remaining hull points).  Assault ramps is a clear advantage for the Spartan that the Crassus does not have an answer for.

Depending on the exact load out of each, the Crassus can also clock in at quite a bit cheaper than the Spartan while having similar firepower (4 lascannons vs 2 quad lascannons and a TL heavy bolter - edge still goes to the Spartan, but it's important to note that the Crassus has the superheavy advantage of always counting as stationary and being able to fire all of its weapons at different targets).  In the right situation, I think it's a very strong LoW choice for a lower point army.

The Praetor also seems like a great choice, since you can choose what missiles you're loaded with before every battle.  In 30k, the most useful options there are the Foehammer (general use and anti-marine blob) and Pilum (anti-storm eagle) missiles.  Firestorm would be great against something like Tau, Eldar, or Nids (silly Venomthrope, no cover saves allowed).  And on top of the missiles you can just bring more guns, since it has the same weapon options for the 4 sponsons as the Crassus.

I think all the Macharius chassis tanks and transports are great choices.  Comparing them to the Malcador, the Malcador shows a clear speed advantage.  If upgraded, I think the Malcador also has a protection advantage - armored ceramite offers a clear benefit, and flare shield will make the Malcador better against blast and lance weapons from the front (otherwise AV13 + flare shield is the same as AV14).  I think the Malcador's firepower is a little underwhelming, though.  All of its gun options are regular, non-superheavy weapons.  Battlecannons, demolishers, lascannons, autocannons, heavy bolters, etc.  The Macharius has some really poor sponson weapon options and the hull heavy stubber is a little insulting, but I think the turret (and it is a full turret, not just a swivel mount) makes up for it.  The Vulcan Megabolter version should do a real number on a Marine blob, probably much more reliably and independent of model spacing than what a battlecannon can do, as well as serving as anti-aircraft if pressed.  The Omega... well, I don't think I really have to tell you what you're supposed to do with 3 5 inch blasts of plasma.  My favorite is the Macharius Vanquisher, it looks great and has some versatility through shell choice.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Kit.

I kept looking through my 2 HH books and couldn't find it anywhere.

So IA stuff is good to go for HH armies then?

Not that I play or anything.

Just in case.

The Armoured Crassus Rules have been updated in the new Apoc Imperial armour book.

Its my understanding that All super heavies can move 12" and still count as stationary now days with the new rules for Apoc? I know the Crassus has overdrive allowing its flat out to be 12" not 6" but thats the only speed boost it has yes?

This idea has and is working perfectly for my salamanders with the invun from meltas i get from the ROW.

I don't have IA Apoc, however if you consult this PDF from the FW website it lists the Crassus as being available in both books.  I would assume from that that the rules in either book are up to date and do not differ from each other.

I had thought that super heavy vehicles had the same restrictions as Heavy vehicles, in that they could not move faster than combat speed and could never elect to move flat out.  However, I'm having trouble finding anything to support that.  So maybe it has changed.

ETA: So, from poking around on Dakka and other forums, reading and re-reading rulebooks... it does seem to have changed.  It seems really stupid.  So, the rule for the Crassus is now useless and the Heresy-era Malcadors, which I thought had an advantage in being superheavy tanks that could go 12 inches, now just get some extra movement if they choose to flat out.  And what kind of idiot gives up all their shooting on a superheavy for a few extra inches of movement?

The Crassus still remains the only way to transport 70 Models due to being able to take two of the things for one of the Lord of war spots. so in that case it is still the best transport maybe not the fastest anymore or the most fire powerful but the largest capacity, and still low points.

Archived