The Nemesis Crusade +++ Oath Complete +++

HLVW

Those pictures are a lot better! Maybe reduce the JPG compression a little, and make sure you use the macro focus option on your camera so you can get right up close to the models.

Oh, and wow. Those are just awesome minis. I really dig the OSL you have going on Grimaldus! I think I prefer the silver sword to the purple one but both look very good. Your magic sculpt cloak looks impressive too, for the moment I am going to have to stick with my pack of five-year-old greenstuff but if I get a chance I will try some magic sculpt when I run out.

@ Golf, thanks, silver it is.

@ greggles, so far I havemt had to much trouble with the smaller kits, some slight mis casts but nothing to bad. The larger kits are more of a pain just due to the placement of the sprue attachments, a real pain trying to remove them so that parts are easy to attach such as the tracks, however I think my spartan was at least a newer mold because there really isn't all that many problems with it.

HLVW

I will be 100% honest with you. I pretty much learned how to paint by being a YouTube tutorial junkie, and my absolute inspiration comes from both madmatt and Dante, only difference from there painting tutorials for me is that I dry brush my two coats of grey on before as madmatt would say work in the light reflexes with a black, brown controlled wash, I havemt quite mastered how they do it yet. I really should have thanked them earlier but it slipped my mind.

Thanks for the comments.

HLVW

Hmm thanks for the feedback.  Been considering buying the scarian, but every part of this megadread is snapping off....its now being held together by no less then 16 magnets, as i hate pinning things.  At least the whole model will be posable now...haha (ug).

• 3 weeks later...

Greetings Brothers, Finally back from a field ex at work and able to work on my hobby once more. At this time I am finishing up a crusader squad, (sorry no pics yet), and just acquired a few kits for restoration, the best part is, they were free.
So here are my up and coming projects, and as I am slowly learning about the ETL, I think I may try and vow all these works for it, so long as I can get the sculpting and resto work done in time.

http://i.imgur.com/zTbVppv.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/gnTE5a7.jpg

Going to attempt to finish the robe sculpts for 2 crusader squads, 10 Van Vets, and a devaster squad.
The restos are 2 land speeders and a autocannon pred and still waiting on my forge word order to arrive with a few more goodies. This should be fun and I hope to get them finished and ready in time for the ETL.

Yes finally figured out how to get larger pictures. Thanks Metic for recommending Imigur.

HLVW

Nice stuff, I follow the same painting fashion as well. Taking me a while to get it right again. Been painting  a Chaplin on a bike and a TDA one for days now. Took me 4 attempts to get the black near to the level I was approaching before I took a break.

Love the crusader squad group, tried the glowing eyes tech myself. Didn't overly like it myself on troops but on tanks its pretty awesome.

Keep it up brother, looking forward to seeing more. 

So all in all, I have really been trying hard not to paint anything and just to prepare for the ETL, I have seen quite a few of the threads from last years contest and it looked like a lot of fun. However I rather failed in that endeavor and ended up painting another Crusader squad, 2 marines left and the Sword brother (sorry Honda), However, I promise to lock up my paint brushes after these three are done and just put stuff together. Besides I finally got my box of goodies today from forge world and am looking forward to building again.

Here is the almost finished Crusader squad.

http://i.imgur.com/7M8UMwE.jpg

I've always wanted ones of these guys, only minimal problems, the pole that connects the skeleton to the body was broken when I opened the box, but if that's the worst of it, I cant complain.

http://i.imgur.com/P1ur1lc.jpg

So with the dread, I now have 1 Crusader squad, 10 Vanguard Vets, my three restos, a heavey weapons team and possibly 5 assault terminators to finish up and prime so I can start to think of some vows.

Any points or hints on how to prep for this would be great.

HLVW

• 4 weeks later...

So I have finally finished off my ETL prep and am now just sitting and staring at stark primed models, doing my best not to paint anything. However a problem just came to me, I have every intention of painting my Dread for ETL, but do I in fact want to add the skeletal banner on his back or leave it plain? I have seen other peoples versions of this model with either variant and like them both, what would your opinion be on this matter?

http://i.imgur.com/zRDb6CP.jpg

So all in all the end count for Templars ready for the ETL sits at,
1x Pred
1x Rhino
1x Castellan
2x Crusader squads
2x Land speeders
1x Assault terminator squad, 3x TH/SS
1x Dread

This should be it, unless of course I start to fiddle with anything else I have sitting around that is grey.

HLVW

Enviously admiring your painting. That's a substantial chunk of stuff ready for ETL, well done. I love the back banner, but you're right that it doesn't have to be on the dread. I think it'd look pretty sweet on the back of a land raider (redeemer? With a chaplain riding inside?)

Honestly? I'd keep the back banner in your bits box for now.  In the future, if you ever make a land raider with a minimal transport capacity or completely non existent one; you could make altars out of the side "exit" doors and slap the banner in there, a couple of candles, etc.  and have the start of a mobile altar of war. 

Ohhh I kind of like that idea, a mobile alter, I will now have to look into that. Thanks for the advice everyone, I had originally considered magnitizing it mainly for ease of transport, but I rather enjoy these ideas much more than that, thanks again.

HLVW

Magnetize the bottom of banner and mounting point on dread. If magnetized, can put on any model you see fit at a whim. Would even make a good relic for relic missions. Looking forward to the dread paint!

I should also mention that drilling resin is extremely easy.  I just magnetized the whole tech marine model (14 magnets), took no time at all. The resin is very soft, so you can basically just turn the drill bill with your hand (don't even really need a hand drill).

I did all the robes for the entire crusade using Magic sculpt, kind of like green stuff but so much nicer to work with.

I remember reading this when you first started posting and I never got back to ask the question, what is it that you like about Magic sculpt vs. green stuff? Is it a two part putty like GS?

Your stuff is still amazing and very inspirational. I really liked your EC with the twin swords.

One comment on your "eye glow". When you look at your eye lenses and the OSL glow, it's important to take into account that light (and we're not going to get into a wave vs. particle photon discussion here ;) ) travels in a straight line. So when you look at your lenses, it's not likely that the eye glow would wrap around and show up on the top of the helmet as the brow extends out and screens off the helmet forehead. Now sometimes eye lenses protrude enough that you will get an equal glow all around the lens, but on tactical helmets, you have to look carefully to see if that is possible or whether the top should be the same color as the rest of your armor.

All I can say is that on my first army, I did a bunch of termies, which would have the glow all around, then had to redo about 20 tacticals/scouts because, even though it looks cool, that's not how light works.

Anyway, please do continue, you are doing marvelous work.

Cheers,

I did all the robes for the entire crusade using Magic sculpt, kind of like green stuff but so much nicer to work with.

I remember reading this when you first started posting and I never got back to ask the question, what is it that you like about Magic sculpt vs. green stuff? Is it a two part putty like GS?

Your stuff is still amazing and very inspirational. I really liked your EC with the twin swords.

One comment on your "eye glow". When you look at your eye lenses and the OSL glow, it's important to take into account that light (and we're not going to get into a wave vs. particle photon discussion here ;) ) travels in a straight line. So when you look at your lenses, it's not likely that the eye glow would wrap around and show up on the top of the helmet as the brow extends out and screens off the helmet forehead. Now sometimes eye lenses protrude enough that you will get an equal glow all around the lens, but on tactical helmets, you have to look carefully to see if that is possible or whether the top should be the same color as the rest of your armor.

All I can say is that on my first army, I did a bunch of termies, which would have the glow all around, then had to redo about 20 tacticals/scouts because, even though it looks cool, that's not how light works.

Anyway, please do continue, you are doing marvelous work.

Cheers,

Yes it is a two part mix like green stuff, but unlike green stuff you are able to sand this down as it is a resin mixture. Also I find it is easier to work with as you can roll it out much thiner and use wax paper so that it doesn't stick to everything.

As for the osl I defenatly see your point. I think in long run I was going with the angrier they were the brighter the eye lenses would be. I do see where your coming from and see about toning down the glow a bit.

Thanks for the advice.

HLVW

• 2 weeks later...

As I was sitting on the range today at work, I was delightedly surprised when I started to read that people were submitting there first vows, then came the frustration that I was sitting on a range not submitting my own vow and picking up my paint brushes, well the time finally came and vow one submitted, started work on the dreadnaught first, not all that much, but enough to make me happy.

http://i.imgur.com/9EUHgLI.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/FHeZIKK.jpg?1

http://i.imgur.com/gzbWPsy.jpg?1

On a side note, I noticed the large amount of crusader seals on this guy and wanted to ask my Brothers of the Eternal Crusade if they wouldn't mind me using some of there crusade badges?

Let me know what you think.

HLVW

Excellent, It is in fact I that am honured that you would claim this ancient brother to have served as a part of your crusades. Hopefully I will have time to work on him tonight, and then post some new pictures of the progress.

Thanks again

HLVW

Archived