Raptors Chapter WIP (10-Feb-2014)

AtlasDM

So here is the humble beginnings of my Raptors Chapter army. I have a box full of Space Marines that have been recycled 2-3 in to different chapters. I waited to start this project until I could get an airbrush and try some new techniques that I've read about and over all I'm satisfied with the results. I had a bad experience with my primer this afternoon and I really messed up a couple models but I decided to carry on with them and just replace them down the road with new models instead of try and strip them for the 4th time.

To start things off I built a 500 point list so I can get some game time in while I work on the rest of my army. Here's the list.

Librarian [Temp warlord until I kitbash a Lias Issodon for bigger lists.]

Command Squad (5 veterans, 2 combi-meltas, 1 combi-flamer, Rhino) [These will later become Sternguard models.]

2 x Tactical Squad (5 man, plasma gun, combi-plasma)

Scout Squad (5 man, sniper rifle x 5, camo cloaks)

Here's my work so far:

IMG 0785

This first picture is the rag tag pile of recycled SM bits waiting for new life. I didn't take any pictures of them stripped or primed. Sorry, I know you were all looking forward to it... :P

IMG 0787

This is a picture of one of the marines after I airbrushed a base coat of Castellan Green over the black primer.

IMG 0788

This is my Librarian, which happens to be the worst of the four models I messed up. Tip: when using a new can of primer, make sure you spray it for a few seconds in a safe direction before you hit your models. The other models aren't nearly as "sandy" as this one. Lesson learned.

IMG 0791

Finally, I attempted some zenithal highlights using Loren Forest. I have to say I'm really happy with how it turned out so far.

I've never used an airbrush before so I was nervous and expecting to use some foul language. Over all though I think I did pretty well for a beginner. The highlighting technique really brought the models to life and I can't quite get it on camera. Castellan Green is a very flat, dark green that makes the models lose their detail and the highlight really made them stand out again. Next I'm going to paint the details and weapons, shade them with Nuln Oil, and try some edge highlighting.

Btw, all the headless models are veterans and/or sergeants which will be getting white and red helmets respectively.

Thanks for checking out my work everyone!

Cracking job so far. Ill be an airbrush virgin when I tackle my fists, kinda looking forward to it though. Excited rather than anxious!

These raptors will be sweet. Looking forward to seeing a Lias Issodon in the flesh. There's so many people just bodging up a captain with a clingy bolter and calling it right.

Archived