++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

@Fracture: Thanks mate, glad you like him! And also glad you're back - I consider you along with Heinrich to be my VII Legion Contemptor loving brother-in-arms ;)

@Helterskelter: Cheers mate. I *always* mix green or grey stuff with milliput in a 1:1 ratio. Besides making your sculpting material cheaper (milliput costs about a third of the price of green stuff and grey stuff) it has the added advantages of

1: making it last longer in its maleable state;

2. easier to work with because it sticks less in its maleable state; and

3. yield a stronger hardened material, which you can more easily sand and/or drill.

There's really no reason why you wouldn't mix greenstuff or greystuff with milliput. :tu:

@Barabas Sogalon: I know man! Both visually and rules wise there's no better loadout for shooty contemptors :D

By effect on the weapons, I was thinking like marble or something. I know forte did a marble effect on his and it looked awesome, and that flat panel just begs for something funky. Maybe ghostly faces of the damned, adding their wails to the sound of the gun?

Dragonlover

That pose is looking spectacular, mate! However, I think you may need to either tilt the torso a bit forwards or move the right leg a bit back -- otherwise, the slightest bit of recoil from his cannons might knock him on his arse :wink:

Maybe it's just be the angle of the picture, though.

Edited by KrautScientist

Nice looking pose on the contemptor, he looks suitably brutal.

Cheers mate! I glued him and finished the base up yesterday, so pics will follow soon.

By effect on the weapons, I was thinking like marble or something. I know forte did a marble effect on his and it looked awesome, and that flat panel just begs for something funky. Maybe ghostly faces of the damned, adding their wails to the sound of the gun?

Ah I see - that's actually not a bad idea - although I do want them to blend in with my Night lords force as much as possible, without them loosing the Noise Marine look. Thanks though - your comment sparked an idea :D

And he's at it again...which is always a good thing :thumbsup:

Call of Chaos time eh. Expecting big things this year. Especially seeing paint on your spider engine :biggrin.:

Thanks forte! Always a pleasure ;) Don't worry - the LoS will be the first to be painted. 

ALL HAIL TO THE BUTCHER KING, BABY!

HAIL!! :D Cheers KotR - I love the loadout too

*puts on Scarface voice* Say hello to my little friend(s)!

DO YOU FEEL LUCKY??

That pose is looking spectacular, mate! However, I think you may need to either tilt the torso a bit forwards or move the right leg a bit back -- otherwise, the slightest bit of recoil from his cannons might knock him on his arse :wink:

Maybe it's just be the angle of the picture, though.

Thanks a lot for that K-Sci! You are absolutely right and I did fix the balance problem by hunching him just an eetsie peetsie tiny bit forward, makign him aim a little more to his right and by glueing the slab of concrete he's standing on at a sloped angle. Anything to prevent brutal looking engines of war from falling on their arses! ;)

This is making it harder for me to decided if I want the FW Night Lords Venerable or Contemptor Dread...

Great pose work makes him look alot more fluid than modern day dreadnoughts.

I say go for the contemptor - not only is the model infinitely more posable than the normal dread - it's worth twice as much for the points you pay. Normal dreads aren't worth the points anymore IMO.

Oh man that Lord of Skulls looks AWESOME, as does the contemptor! Even though you sort of slipped with those noise marines, with the awesomesauceness of everything else I'll let it slide :P seriously inspiring work, man, keep it up :)

Fixed the pose after good feedback from KrautScientist: he will not fall back from recoil anytime soon. Just needs some flayed skin, maybe some skulls on chains and perhaps something on top. Any ideas? I find with lack of time comes lack of focus and with lack of focus comes procrastination. I hope I haven't overstepped my bounds with the CoC vow :o

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/temporary_zps2fc518c4.jpg

Oh man that Lord of Skulls looks AWESOME, as does the contemptor! Even though you sort of slipped with those noise marines, with the awesomesauceness of everything else I'll let it slide :tongue.: seriously inspiring work, man, keep it up :smile.:

Cheers mate! the LoS needs some flayed skin and some more skulls and he's ready for paint. About the NM: You don't like NL noise marines, you don't like Noise Marines per se or you don't like these noise marines. If the latter, let me know how to improve! :tu:

excellent looking contemptor. much better then the legion dreadnought. looking forward to seeing it painted.

thanks man. Looking forward to painting him myself. Has been almost three months since my last mini. 

Hot damn, that's one scary-looking Contemptor you've built there Augustus, the Butcher Cannons look seriously dangerous too. :)

Though I have to ask, why did you remove the blades mounted underneath the barrels?

Hot damn, that's one scary-looking Contemptor you've built there Augustus, the Butcher Cannons look seriously dangerous too. :smile.:

Though I have to ask, why did you remove the blades mounted underneath the barrels?

Ha thanks SanguiniusReborn! About the blades... well, I could say I removed them because I felt they where too big to be realisitic, or because my decimator also has one with blade and I don't want all my weapons to look alike. But in all honesty I cut them off because I needed them for my sorcerer's jetbike ;-)

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/temporary_zps41a67513.jpg

I just mean ya slipped since your NL warband has Noise Marines :wink: They look EXCELLENT, however! 

Haha thanks mate. You're totally right that cult marines aren't really fluffy for the ADB Night Lords. I'm thinking there definitely are Night Lords who cannot resist the whispers of the Warp. Hell, ADB's NL are almost all in some way corrupted. I see my night lords as a flotilla/armada of night lords, where there's factions who fight for power. On the one hand, there's the true Legio Astartes faction, who see Chaos as a tool and despises worship and/or mutations (like ADB's Talos) and are led by my contemptor captain. One the other are those night lords chaos space marines who are slowly corrupted. Hence there's night lord plague marines, who are only allowed to sail with the armada on a seperate cargo ship. A thousand sons delegation has recently joined for mysterious reasons. The noise marines will be true Night Lords who excell in terror tactics by blasting their enemies with wails of the tortured. (did not think of that myself though) I'm not sure how I'm going to incorporate 'Zerkers fluffwise yet, but I'm thinking of a seperate World Eater contingent who see opportunity for slaughter, and find support within the ranks of the 47th from those in midnight clad that are slowly corrupted into Khorne's favor. :tu: :D

Sorry 'bout the double post. I promised Flint a tutorial on my way of making fleshy trophies. So here goes:

Tools:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/temporary_zps77bfb1d9.jpg

Mix Green Stuff with Milliput in a 4:1 ratio to get a nice pale green ball of putty. This picture DOES NOT contain accurate ratio.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/temporary_zps3355038d.jpg

Wet two plastic sheets on one side with water (and spit). Place the ball of putty in between the sheets and flatten it with a can.
EDIT: Hallowed Frater forte told me that using baking powder also prevents the putty from sticking. I tried it his way and it works just as well - with the benefit that the putty does does stick to the part you're using it on.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/temporary_zps9170239b.jpg

Take a metal sculpting tool and cut off shapes. Cut, pull, or tear it!  - that's what the flayed skin is supposed to look like!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/temporary_zps6ddc0ef6.jpg

Place the flaps on the model using a wettened metal scultping tool. Lick your finger and use it to pick up a tiny glass micro bead. Place this micro bead in the positioned green stuff and press it in. Make several overlaps between different skin flaps. Then use a sharp sculpting tool to pick at the corners to mimic gravity pulling at it. 

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/example_zps48f7131c.png

Then, lay out to dry. When dry, see if it stays in place after light tapping. If yes, basecoating will seal it firmly enough for handling during play. If not, glue it with superglue.

Hope this helps! If there are any things unclear, please let me know. 

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

That Contemptor pretty much screams death on two legs. The shoulder in the bottom right of the tutorial post, are you covering the existing flayed skin with more flayed skin?! You Night Lords...

I think Night Lords 'noise marines' are incredibly fluffy. In one of my bits of fluff I wrote about Word Bearers and their cultists blaring horrible, sanity-eroding warp/daemon sounds at some IG holding the line (like all good Guardsmen do) and I can envision Night Lords doing something similar with recorded sounds of previous victims having unspeakable things done to them being used to both disorient and terrify their prey.

Good luck with the COC (feel like I need to go see the Chaplain after saying that).

Finished the first contemptor's build. What do you think?

"Say hello to my little friends!"

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/temporary_zpsfb273bcc.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/temporary_zpsf55f2de5.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/temporary_zps4861b477.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/temporary_zpsda328ec1.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/temporary_zps43cccad2.jpg

Thanks for looking and as always: feedback welcome!

Replies!

@ Noctem Cultor: Cheers, I'm glad you find it of use!

@ Tanith Ghost: Sure thing mate, we're all here to enjoy and help each other become better modellers :D

@ sockwithaticket: Yup, that's flayed flesh on flayed flesh. What can I say? We like to stay warm? 
About the noise marines, thanks! I totally agree. And your idea sparked that fluffy imagination in me, so I'll be brooding on some fluff for my NL NM! 

@ forte: Baking Powder: Brilliant. I tried it immediately and it works perfectly. Adding it in a side not of the tutorial.

@ Midnight Runner: heavy metal conversions? Dunno which ones you mean buddy! But thanks anyway! The muscle is easy. If anyone's interested, I could do a tutorial on that too. Lemme know!

@ Kreghor: Thanks Kreghor! It was a joy to convert too. And he kicks ass in small games too :tu: