++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

Liking the new objectives, the fallen warrior especially is looking great.

Tournament pictures are always good to see.

Seriously though, I love the idea of meeting up with some of the fraters or other Hobbyists that I've got to know since being a lot more active. Even better if we could get a game in. I was thinking about asking around when the children are a bit older for games at Warhammer world. I think I'd have to pick up the pace of my gameplay if I was to try a tournament. The running joke between Bymis and Krakendoomcool is how long I take to play. Have a great time at the weekend though! Looking forward to another Bat Rep!

Certainly in agreement here, B&C meet ups would be great.

Lovely Objective markers. Its always great to have good objective markers, adds a nice element to games. I have a mysterious underground hatchway that has been everything from a entryway to an underground storage area for acheotech, to a bakery for chocolate chip cookies (Orks LOVE chocolate chip cookies.)  You need a goose though. ;)

They are really nice. Inspiring effort. I haven't made any of my own but I think I will in the new year. It always a bit of a shame to have all these characterful models charging through thematic scenery to fight for control over giant copper coins.

Great effort, do you have custom objectives for all your armies? (I didn't realise how many you had until I started to comb the thread)

Hi gang!

I'm back from the Element Games Grad Slam in Stockport, near Manchester. I went with my three buddies from our local wargaming club, the Amsterdam6shooters, into which our 40k wargaming club Amsterdam Battle Btothers merged in july.  There were five games, with each game ending in a points division of 20 points between the two players, depending on how they did. 

I brought the same list as last tournament:

Detachment 1 battalion (Nurgle Daemons) 598 points

HQ: Spoilpox Scrivener (75) Plaguesword (0) Distended Maw (0) Disgusting Sneezes (0) 75

HQ: Daemonprince of Chaos with Wings (170) Nurgle (0) Malefic Talons (10) 180 WARLORD

TROOPS: 29 Plague Bearers (140) 1 Plagueridden (7) Plagueswords (0) Instrument of Chaos (10) Daemonic Icon (15) 235

TROOPS: 3 Nurglings (54) Teeth and Claws (0) 54

Detachment 2 battalion (Nurgle Daemons) 523 points

HQ: Poxbringer (70) Balesword (0)  70

HQ: Daemonprince of Chaos with Wings (170) Nurgle (0) Malefic Talons (10) 180

TROOPS: 19 Plague Bearers (140) 1 Plagueridden (7) Plagueswords (0) Instrument of Chaos (10) Daemonic Icon (15) 165

Detachment 3 Super Heavy Detachment (Questor Traitoris) 866 points

Renegade Knight (285) 2x Avenger Gatling Cannon (150) 2x Heavy Flamer (34) Heavy Stubber (4) Stormspear Rocket Pod (45) 518

Renegade Armiger Helverin (160) 2x Armiger autocannons (10) Heavy Stubber (4) 174

Renegade Armiger Helverin (160) 2x Armiger autocannons (10) Heavy Stubber (4) 174

I personally didn't do too well this time, with a 2-3 win-loss ratio:

Th first game was against a chaos list with Abaddon and a sorcerer plus 120 cultists, and a Thousand Sons detachment with Ahriman, a couple some Daemon Princes, and 30 Tzaangors. Due to the amount of bodies, we ended up playing a rushed game, which saw me win a narrow 16-4 margin, I believe.

I then played against a soup list of Mechanicum, Guard and Knights - a Castellan and two Questoris - I killed his Castellan in turn two, but due to a mistake in charges I couldn't then swarm into his other Knights, which cost me the game - 6-12 loss.

The third and last game of the day was against a really nice young chap with a beautiful Ork army. He was new to it and I ended up with a 20-0 win. No wipe-out at all, though, we both had very little left! Great game and I ended up giving him my favourite opponent vote. 

Sunday saw me against a Dark Eldar - Harlequin soup list which basically consisted of three squads of Harlequin Haywire bikes and three squads  of 7 Grotesques. He surprisingly didnt manage to kill any of my three Knights in the first turn, but with 4 wounds left on each of them, they weren't set up for much action anyway. I then failed to kill a single jetbike with all of their shooting, and charged one jetbike squad with the Questoris Knight, an Armiger, three Nurgling bases, and two Daemon Princes. Guess how many I killed? All of them you say? Granted his rolling wasn't perfect, but with a 3++ save, 5++ FNP and 3 wounds each, he didn't have to! I killed two bikes with all those charges. Insane. He ended up tabling me in turn three. 0-20 for him!

And just when I thought my fourth opponent had a list with the perfect counter against mine, I came across another Eldaeri soup list that was even better. Again three squads of  Harlequin Haywire jetbikes killing my knights. And all the firepower in the world to deal with my two Plaguebearer squads and the nurgling bases. I managed to hide my Warlord Daemon Prince in a ruin so he couldn't table me. We actually played 7 turns and he didn't table me. My warlord ended up smiting a War walker squad of three for three Psyckic hases, after which he came out of hiding in my last turn, charged them, and killed them off. His 'heroics' didn't matter, and I ended up losig again by 0-20.

I ended up placing number 59 out of 85 players. Not great at all, but not bad either, considering I've played only about 25 games of 8th now. The good part was saved for last though, as again I got a Best Army Nomination! There were seven others nominated, so 8 in total. And two of my club mates (Dean and Ruben) were also nominated! 

I remembered to take pictures of the armies. Not the best quality, unfortunately, as there was a large que and I had to hurry.

A Dark Eldar flyer army wit beautiful cockpits.

ocjqN4s.jpg

A beautiful Slaaneshi Chaos army. All the spikes are sculpted- they're not cocktail sticks!

0nEkmQS.jpg

Some details of the above army

Hidden Content
gXTG66E.jpg

I hope this detail is Forum friendly....

IgNl27a.jpg

A Knight and Imperial Soup army

tFPd0pU.jpg

A fantastical pirate-themed Ork army with tons of conversions
DQrIlqW.jpg

Sme details of above Ork army:

Hidden Content

g49ezRQ.jpg

Orks trying to be sneaky... :'D

Lcuom2O.jpg

My buddy Dean's Nurgle/Death Guard army

l57Re94.jpg

My buddy Ruben's Ultramarine army:

Xjbgs3L.jpg

A beautiful Knight list

GgjIQzw.jpg

And finally, my army (with the new Objective Markers:

g3RrIeg.jpg

Everyone was given a slip on which he could nominate a 1st and 2nd favourite army. All votes were then totalled and lo: I ended up in third place! :thumbsup: Cool detail: I ended up with the most 2nd place army votes :biggrin.: I even got a cool cup and a discount slip for GBP15 - here's a pic of tournament organizer Tim shaking my hand before giving me the prizes! 

uXWQX39.jpg

That wasn't all, as my clubmates Dean and Ruben (who didn't end up with a Best Army placement) ended up as Best of Faction generals for Death Guard and Adeptus Astartes, respectively!

Not a bad yield for the Amsterdam Battle Brothers, if you ask me!

Xr0s08S.jpg

Lastly, I just want to say how well this event was organized. Element Games North West Gaming Centre is just a fricking amazing place - with a bar no less. Very friendly staff and their collection of terrain and tables is simply amazing. If a place existed like that in Amsterdam, I would go there every Friday! Thanks to all the staff and volunteers at the event, and especially to Tim, who organized and ran the whole event on his own. Amazing work!

That's it, that's all I have for now. I hope it wasn't too dissapointing. I will see you on the Battle Brothers' next tour. Untill the, take it ea...

Enough with the TON references. I think my list could improve. Considering how well the Helverins did and how little use I got from the Questoris Knight, I might exchange the big Knight for three more Helverins... Something to think about. I also bought a Castellan Dominus class Knight... :woot:

In any case, thanks for reading and your comments.

Cheers! 

Replies:

@ DuskRaider: The others also had pieces of art! 

@ Pandoras Bitz Box: Warhammer World hosts a tournament as well, and I'm thinking about applying for the heat in July. See you there?

@ Pearson73: Thanks! Te fallen guy is just a slightly altered Space Marine casualty, mind you...

@ Bjorn Firewalker: Thank you!

@ rednekkboss: I'm thinking of addin a Goose to the next Spoilpox Scriviner, so that I have an alternative source for his writing feather...

@ KrautScientist: Hahaha thanks! The jacuzzi is my fave as well!

@ Pandoras Bitz Box: My point exactly! I have indeed made custom objective markers for all my armies - and they're all in this thread!

@ Subtle Discord: Do iiiiit!

@ Sgt. Blank: Pretty fearsome - except against Eldar soup. But that's completely broken. The top five of the tourny was all Eldaeri players. 59 out of 85 players is not something to write home about, but at least I got a cup! :biggrin.:

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Congrats on the awards, frater. Well deserved although as I said previously, it should have been 1st Place. Mainly for the Pestigor skull on the base, that alone should win you not only 1st Place BUT every single game. Really if you think about it, they not giving you the top prize is just as much an insult to me, if not more so. ;)

Really though, great job my friend and I'm glad to hear you had fun. Winning isn't everything but having fun is, so it sounds like if anything you really did win.

Well donenwith you army man, sorry the games didn't go a bit better though. Sometimes it can be a bit paper, scissors stone and you come up against someone who just has the solution to you problem... And sometime dice just hate you. I'm glad you had a good time though and had good opponent, that's the most important thing.

Maybe I will put my mind towards a tournament, maybe try one out. I'll just have to see how my kids are around that time so I can leave my wife with them with it worrying she will lose her mind. I have to say, hearing about your positive experience certainly isn't the nightmare I would imagine having (facing sore losers, gloating winners or cheaters). Also it would be nice to get ANY games in before then... You said you've only played 25? I think I've played maybe 3 - 4 of 8th!

So what's next on your to do list of Projects/competition?

Woop woop! Another Death Guard character finished: the vanilla Chaos Lord of Nurgle - and with him, four of the six units of my Call of Chaos vow done!

a2aBL2c.jpg

LEGubxB.jpg

iyw1DPO.jpg

HDpmdQp.jpg

I hope you like him! Comments and feedback more than welcome. :)

Cheers!

Replies:

@ DuskRaider: You are too kind, my friend. I guess my army suffers from the grand amount of Plague Bearers and Nurglings, who, despite being good tabletop quality, are not converted and have a very simple colour scheme. Other armies have more centre pieces, which I guess gives them a better chance of being noticed.

@ Pandoras Bitz Box: Definitely come to a tournament - not with the intention to win, mind you. If you go for the win, you will be sorely dissapointed as you won't unless you have the WAAC mentality and are a very good player. I go for the upper echelons of the middle, to meet fun people, for the experience and to have a bit of fun. Expectiation management of a tournament is key to enjoy it. :)  I'll be working on a Tallyman and two Rhinos next for my Death Guard, and of course on three more Armigers. I'm trying to decide if I shouldn't paint my Castellan Knight in Imperial colours, so that I can ally them with my upcoming Sisters of Battle army.... 

I can't place the rest of the bits, but that chainsword looks familiar to someone who has built a couple of berserkers:D

I love that you used that chainsword btw, nice throwback. Lovely mini in general.

Seems like a nice tournament too. That slannesh army looks pretty damn cool, plague doctor masks seems a bit nurgly at first but they might protect the vain cultists from the deseases of your DG:)

Edited by ElDuderino

I was at the tournament with my second edition Tyranids and spoke with you for a bit but had to leave before the results. Congratulations on coming third for best army, sadly I had to vote for the guys who came first and second but it was a hard choice, both Death Guard armies were amazing.

I played Ruben's Ultramarines (I lost completely but narrowly avoiding being tabled) and may have played that Harlequin list as well if it was the one with the ravagers, war walkers and gun batteries (there were a lot of Harlequin bike lists). I have no idea where I came but it can't have been that high up since I had 2 wins 3 losses as well. I similarly only one on the first day, the

I also played that Harlequin and Grotesques list on the friday and got pretty flattened as well but somehow managed to beat the Ravagers and War Walker version despite the mission being theoretically the worst one for my list due to kill points thanks having T7 monsters and his bikes bouncing off my Neurothrope's 3+ invulnerable.

I've played a few games at my nearest GW with one of the guys who brought a Cultist, Abaddon and Ahriman list but those are so common I don't know which one you played.

Holy :censored: that lord is amazing. I love the pose! 

I agree. That lord's pose is well done; very evocative. I like seeing a Death Guard model posed as celebrating a victory or issuing a rally call. The Death Guard are often portrayed as dour so it's refreshing to see one full of passion.

Thanks guys, for the awesome response to the Lord!

To add to the string of Death Guard characters, here's my finished Tallyman!

1Ybe4V8.jpg

PVmm7BT.jpg

JL4V52S.jpg

PsOkaZj.jpg

I really like how he's just literally counting kills on his little board there! :D

Let me know what you think!

Cheers

Replies:

@ Atia: Lessee, the head is from the DI bolter Death Guard, from the Plague Marine kit we have the Belly plate, the backpack from the Plague Spewer, the bolt pistol, the left arm and the left pauldron, while the right shoulder and arm are from the Foul Blightspawn. The legs are from the DI Lord of Contagion, and lastly, the chainsword is from the Khorne Berzerker kit. The rest is all sculpted!

@ Reyner: Thanks, buddy! That's a good cry! 

@ ElDuderino: Slaanesh, Not Slannesh. English speakers have too much trouble with the double a in 'Slaan'- it's there that the stress lies, not on the '-esh'. So SLAAnesh. Not slaNESH :P (sorry, pet peeve :wink:) But yeah, that Slaanesh army looked fantastic - I spoke to the guy and he had some wonderful thoughts on sculpting, too!

@ KrautScientist: That's high praise - and no critique or hairs even! :D I must've missed your message, apologies. Will read and reply tomorrow. Sleep now....

@ Closet Skeleton: Hey buddy! Nice to speak to you - that 2nd edition army of yours was brilliant and a true blast from the past. I commend you for sticking to it and going for all those old metal miniatures. Congrats too on the win against the Eldaeri list with the war walkers and ravagers - vehicles suffer against haywire, from which Tyrannids naturally have no fear. So good on you! The cultist+Abaddon+Ahriman list was played by the American guy (David? - I can't remember). I'd love to play you in the future. 

@ Shovellovin: Cheers! It's exactly what I was going for so I am glad it came across as intended. :)

Excellent idea for the goose! :biggrin.:

Outstanding looking army. Always nice to see everything on a table together!  Its just a great thing when an event is fun. Granted, I've been out of the tourney game for some time, but it seems like here in the states certain organizers are trying to stress the fun over the WAAC competition. Which is refreshing. If I can ever get a whole army painted, I might even go to one.

The screaming Lord is just ridiculously cool! Bravo.

Wa-what?!?!? Sisters?!?!  You have my attention!

Edited by rednekkboss