++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

Hello! My name is augustusbraas and I am an addict. I became addicted to Oxydon, and Opioid, because I used it for 6 weeks straight after my spinal 'incident'. Currently I feel like :cuss because I quit cold turkey and thus have the shivvers, plus the lingering pain of not taking pain killers beside paracetamol, AND I got my second Pfizer shot yesterday and it's kicking my ass.   

So I got some distractions and kitbashed me some characters. 

First up is the Terminator Champion for the ten-man Red Butcher Terminator Squad in my army. He's not finished yet, but he's a big-un!
9QhpPky.jpg

I'm not a big fan of the Red Butcher sculpts by FW>. Their helmets and their poses aren't really my cup of tea. So I cut off their legs and dremelled out their torsos. Lookee how awesome one of those torso's looks on Lord Zuhfor's legs. I'll be replacing his head with a bare one, plus I'll be doing something about those boring Lightning Claws, but the trophy is a definite match, wouldn't you agree?

He does psoe a problem, though, in that his base (which i raised so that he could looks down upon his enemies) makes him the tallest miniature in the army to date - so I'd have to come up with a pretty significant dude as an Exalted Champion.

Enter a familiar face.

Remember this guy? On an all new, raised, base.

ErchNmX.jpg

And then, last but not least, this guy:
BZwEySd.jpg

He'll be my Dark Apostle. I hate - hate - the GW Dark Apostle miniature. I think it is goofy comic-y, and stupid. It's a bad sculpt, a ridiculous concept better suited for a redemptionist kinda character, and poorly executed to boot. So I made my own!

So, let me know what you think! 

Cheers

@ deathspectersgt7: Sorry mate, but I really didn't get what this was about... 

[...] Sure enough on a pic working on him yet . Ditched his first born version and working on Primaris him with the new blade guard kit. [...] 

@ Viridia: Thank you! Yeah I love just diggin out the bits box of late. I've gathered so much over the years, it's time to not be sparing and NOT save that cool bit for something else. If it fits a miniature, it goes on that miniature!

@ Nomus Sardauk: SanguiniusReborn! I'll always remember you like that buddy. Thanks for the kind words! (but dude - the fist has a thumb!) Also, thank to that GIF I went on to see Jurassic Park for the gazzilionth time. 

@ BagersinHills: Codex CSM will hit early 2022, if the rumour machine is correct... But THANK You for those kid words comparing me to Thunderwulven's. 

@ Lamebeard: Oh lamebeard.... quoting pics isn't cool, bro! (nobody wants to scroll through things twice, needlessly) ;) Thanks though for the comparison picture. And I agree: white-and-blue fits very well with red-and-black. BUT. The former will sit on these grey-stoned, rusty bases, while the latter will, because colour theory, have to stand on something more yellow-greenish. And different bases in the same army are a nono in my book. Your picture shows that very well too! You don't have to agree with me, I know I am super anal like that - it's just that I can't not be anal about it.

@ Closet Skeleton: I know, buddy! I was joking, hence the ;) feigning Khornate singleminded/stupidity. Also I didn't read your comment well enough, for which I apologize :D

Hello! My name is augustusbraas and I am an addict. I became addicted to Oxydon, and Opioid, because I used it for 6 weeks straight after my spinal 'incident'. Currently I feel like :censored: because I quit cold turkey and thus have the shivvers, plus the lingering pain of not taking pain killers beside paracetamol, AND I got my second Pfizer shot yesterday and it's kicking my ass.   

That sucks. Congrats on quitting though, it'll be worth it in the long run.

Terminator champion looks awesome. Will you be completely swapping the lightning claws or just changing them?

Awesome stuff.

@ Lamebeard: Oh lamebeard.... quoting pics isn't cool, bro! (nobody wants to scroll through things twice, needlessly) ;) Thanks though for the comparison picture. And I agree: white-and-blue fits very well with red-and-black. BUT. The former will sit on these grey-stoned, rusty bases, while the latter will, because colour theory, have to stand on something more yellow-greenish. And different bases in the same army are a nono in my book. Your picture shows that very well too! You don't have to agree with me, I know I am super anal like that - it's just that I can't not be anal about

Augustus my friend! I admire you getting back to the hobby through your tough times. I agree completely on the Red butchers, and especially love the dark apostle here. Now let’s clear up a couple of things:

1) quoting pics. Yeah I know but the first time I made a complete mess of your thread by messing up the code. You gotta be so careful with the iPhone cut/paste. So second attempt rescued in a safer way, pic stayed. But it was a cool pic, no-one else will mind seeing him again.

2) I agree completely that one army means consistent bases. What I was trying to say was “these guys look moderately good together with our mediocre paint jobs and different bases - so imagine how amazing yours are going to look with your masterly paint jobs and consistent basing!”

I think the colour theory problem is the orange dust is too close a clash with word bearers’ crimson. But I think dark red will look great on the grey rocks. So how about just extending the grey rocks out to the edge for them? Maybe they have the high ground?

Cheers everyone!

Several people have asked me how I do the bases I've been posting lately. I shared it on other media, but I figured I'd do it here too. 

1. I start with the top piece by pinning the miniature on a piece of tree bark that I pluck from a tree next to my son's daycare now and then.
2. Then I find out at what angle of the piece of cork will the miniature on it look the coolest.
3. I then mix a ball of milliput that is about half the size of the narrowest width of the bark, put the ball in the middle of the black base, and then press the bark into that ball at the aforementioned angle.
4. Wait until the milliput is dry.
5. Superglue pieces of plasticard H- and T-beam, plus some rolls of greenstuff on the black base, at angles that will complement the miniature's pose or direction of movement.
6. Smear Vallejo texture paste (the brown stuff) on the base to mask the milliput and around the glued-on pieces of plasticard.
7. I then press various skulls into the texture paste and smooth the pasty edges around them so that they don't look like they've been pressed in, but rather have been buried by erosion.
8. Sprinkle some sand/slate/little rocks/miniscule pieces of cork that I got from putting whine corks into my kitchen blender on the paste.
9. Wait to dry
10. Done! 1f603.png

I'll post a linky to the tutorial in the index in the first post in this thread, so you can find it back should you ever want to.

:HQ: 

Anyway, I've finished two more terminators for the Red Butchers squad. 

First up, the Icon Bearer. I initially put the Ago of SIgmar 1st edition Khornate icon bearer icon on him, but after some feedback from the community realisezxed that it was too often done and I reverted to sculpting my own. Here he is!

ptlEgm6.jpg

fXjNoKC.jpg

And secondly, a very basic Terminator with a superhero landing pose! :D
 16EyEed.jpg

DmBA0Qb.jpg

I'm having a lot of fun kitbashing these CSM terminators and mixing them with parts from the cataphractii and tartaros terminators kits I have left off my BaC and BoP boxes. Good stuff!

Let me know what you think.. <3

Cheers

Replies:

@ Bjorn Firewalker: Thanks and I hope so too!

@ acrowsperch: Thanks buddy. I appreciate your kind words. Re: your question about lighting clwas - I don't really have a plan yet - I've seen people do it on instagram and will try it for one. And if it looks cool it's another trick I've learned hich I will undoubtedly use more, sooner or later. :D 

@ LameBeard: Haha don't worry about it buddy! I was just teasing a little - and always with a kind heart. iPhone copy/cut-paste function sucks monkey balls, just like the rest of the phones, so I know what you're saying for sure! And thanks for that kind last word :) Regarding your second point/solution to my problem - that's actually really not a bad idea! Thanks for that :D 

@ NomadPainting: Thank you, friend! And welcome to the thread? I can't remember if I ever seen you post in this thread. Apologies if you have, but if you haven't: welcome to the thread!

@ Sagentus: Thank you, Sagentus my buddy bud! So good to see you always. Cheers bud

Boom baby! Exalted Champion finished!

ytaHBhA.jpg

Pretty pleased with this guy - as I wrote before, his right arm is magnetized, so that it can be armed with either a chainsword as above, or with a lightning claw as below. The classic '90s 2nd edition plastic power claw has such large fingers that it can be used as either a power fist as a lighting claw, which gives this miniature a perfect flexibility between the two best melee options in the codex right now. Yay! 

mbBoMpk.jpg

I also wrote earlier that I was a little concerned that I wouldn't be able to build a proper power armoured miniature to act as the Exalted Champion in my force, because of the huge size of the Terminator Champion. I was even considering using either Ferrus Manus or Lorgar as a base for my Warlord (an expensive idea, anyone would agree) - but then I realized that the miniature I had already build to function as an Aspiring Champion for one of my Berzerker Squads has the needed height! As you'l hopefully agree, he's big enough to rival the termiantor in size, and thus rival him in stature. :D

Cheers!

Replies:

@ Doghouse: Thank you! Yes, the mends were.... harsh. I've been rewatching Trainspotting and they do it a fascimile of justice, visually. But I pulled through and I have SO much more energy now. It's quite amazing. 

@ NomadPainting: Wow, you have been around the block! Thanks for dropping by an leaving a comment, buddy. I appreciate it. 

@ BadgersinHills: Thanks!

Finished painting the first terminator in over a decade! (is what I called it on other socials but now that I'm writing this I realized I painted I think 9 Death Guard Terminators in 2018.... oops) 

Anyway - it has begun. Ten Red Butcher Chaos Space Marine Terminators are in the pipeline - I've build a couple, and now I have finished the first of them. Just a regular dude with a Lighting Claw and a Combibolter, but slightly reposed and with an alternate power pack. He must be the most conservative conversion I'll do, becuase I'll be mixing a ton of Tartaros and Cataphractii bits with regular terminators soon. 

In any case, here's the pictures of this first dude.

oO0oaWb.jpg

UuKfoFy.jpg

I *love* Scale 75 paints, btw. The reds and metallics are all of that brand. In addition, I've really fallen in love with weathering powders, painting white with Liquitex Ink, the 'new' GW Morghast Bone base colour for bone, and using watered down GW Sotek Green for verdigris instead of Nihilakh Oxide. All new techniques I've used for this army, and I'm really proud of my leap forward in skills. Gotta try something new with every army!

I hope you like him as much as I've enjoyed painting him. :smile.:

Cheers!

Replies:

@ Bjorn Firewalker: And excellent work on you for continueing to support this thread with a comment on every post. Thanks man! I realy appreciate it. 

@ acrowsperch: Thank you, buddy. Yeah I love asymmetry on miniatures like that - it really gives a vibe of scavenged armour. 

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Really liking the look of this terminator. And I agree about the Scale75 paints. I e also started using their paint, lots of really good ones, especially the metals. Can’t wait to see the rest of the butchers. Big blobs of terminators are always awesome. 

Cheers guys. I've build another terminator. Lots of fun this one - I've extended the leg bits of the Tartaros Terminator Sergeant by adding 1.5 mm washers between the sawed-through parts of its lower and upper legs. The torso is a cut-out CSM terminator torso, and the same kit provided the trophies, pauldrons and left arm and combi-bolter. The right arm is a tartaros Lightning claw arm. The head is Lord Zuhfor's!

RLYAU2g.jpg

IeiEUr2.jpg

I hope you like him. Comments most welcome. 

Cheers

Replies:

@ Shovellovin: Yeah man, I bought all three of their metal'n Alchemy sets for gold, steel, and bronze paints. I'm enjoying it greatly - although the Alchemy paint is not the easiest to work with, tbh

@ Bjorn Firewalker: Indeed he is a member of the World Eater warband. The Red Butchers are a 30K unit for the World Eaters - terminators who fell to the nails and who are chain-locked into their suits of terminator armour. In 40k, they're one terminator squad in your army who can be upgraded by the 2CP srat 'Red Butchers' - the terminaotr unit in question gets +1 strength and Fight Twice - essentially becoming Khorne Berzerkers in Terminator armour. I'm building a squad of 10. :)

I'm really liking your dynamic chaos terminators. I always felt let down by how top heavy the standard kit was/is. You've make them feel less like they are carrying the weight of the world on their shoulders and actually make them into champions worthy of the gods.

Cheers, you two! 

I've finished the guy I made last week, and went all ut on him with weathering. It's pretty staggering how I'm continuing to improve the techniques I'm employing on these guys - an becuase I am doing them one at a time, with my skill improving for every miniature, I have to be careful that they won't seem too far off between them. 

Also, I've started using a collage maker app instead of my regular paint app. 

lorAzqk.jpg

HJ8dL4A.jpg

So I hope you like him. If you ask me, he looks pretty damn brutal. ;) 

Thanks for looking. 

Cheers

Replies: 

@ NomadPainting: Thank you! Well tbf the new kit is far more dynamic than the old one - but there's definitely room for improvement/conversion work. ;)

@ War of the Eagle: Thanks and welcome to this thread! I've never seen you comment here and I always welcome everyone, so that! :D Don't start your world eaters over again, but if you want to add to them, DOOOO ITTTTTTT!

Termies at looking great as is everything else you've shown since I last dropped in.

I have to be careful that they won't seem too far off between them. 

Boy do I know this feeling when looking at my Orks. My Gorkanought is nearly done and is fine next to my Kan, but the Dakka jet looks so dated by them and I'm not sure I want to repaint it though it's the right thing to do. Though lets be honest I'll just butterfly off to something else anyway (say's he who already has).