++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

xarl is looking promising :thumbsup:

i'd turn the empty hand palm up, that might give him a cool "come at me loyalist bro" feeling in combination with the "pointing sword".

looking forward to more

Edited by Wicced

I like his pose as is.

With his hand like it is, looks like he's just about to plant it on the hilt to make a giant swing happen.

Looking absolutely baller, Auggie!

Keep it up

I don't know about Xarl's new pose, it seems like the legs and the upper body aren't matched in movement. I know Xarl is a superlative swordsman, but remember, he isn't Lucius. He's not a fencer, the skilled fighters among the VIII legion are brutal, cutthroat brawlers. Remember in the 3rd book how Xarl killed that loyalist champion, not bladework, not artful fighting, but by beating him damn near to death with headbuts.

I feel like the one-handed pose is too delicate for a massive heavy chainsword. If you are going to have him with the blade in one hand, I'd have it less dynamic and have him standing there at the ready with a "come and get it" style pose.

Guts from Berzerk might be a good bit of inspiration:

http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/274/7/e/guts___berserk_by_romaniacc-d4bhlvz.jpg

http://images.figure.fm/cgm/images/post/20120829/42533/385075/large/b36ddcadaeaac754b7b454b400a421f0.jpg

963d6e7ab2d4284ece4da494203635b2.jpg

First of all, thanks guys and gals for some great feedback. Xarl is turning out to be the most difficult member of First Claw, and your comments really help.

@Wicced: I appreciate the 'come at me bro' hand idea - unfortunately the open hand I have is a grey knight hand, and they have their fingers in the 'casting' position, while a 'come at me bro' hand would require an almost closing hand. So I can't make the come at me bro hadn work with the bits I have and it's too late to order bits... :sad.:

@Flint13: That was exactly my idea. The way I figured it was, this shows he is wielding the chainsword with two hands (just not at the moment) and we can still see his chest piece. Best of both worlds solution right?

@Atia: Yes, I am doing Octavia. In fact, I won't send pics to ADB before both Septimus and Octavia are finished. If ANYONE has ideas for bits to use, please let me know! :wink:

@Chaeron: Cheers mate. Always glad to have you visiting and commenting :thumbsup:

@Brother Heinrich: That's a great feedback post right there. THANK YOU for those pics and the reminder of Xarl's nature. Having just finished Talos I realize I got into the swordsman thing a bit too much. Xarl is most definitely NOT a swordsman: he's a brutal warrior first and foremost. This mini needs to convey that and I agree Xarl should fight twohandedly. The idea behind the 'free' hand is that he *is* wielding the chainsword with two hands, but is going to grab it. I fiddled around a bit, repositioned some arms, and made it look like his hand is closer to the hilt. I also used a different hand and a different hilt. What do you think of him now?

About the leg positioning: I have come to understand why KrautScientist hates these legs. And I do too, now. They are positioned left leg forward, right leg back. But they don't *feel* that way. What do you think of the positioning now? 

@Biohazard: Cheers for the suggestion, I'll try that too, but first, what do you think of the new pose?

Ok so here's where I am right now. Lemme know.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/Xarl%203_zpsms9gspng.jpg

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Id pose it a little further back or further forward as the blade looks like its in a wierd point of a swing but that may be the angle of the photos. That chainblade is what I pictured when reading the books just a big nasty weapon that's not fancy to look at its just built to do its job.

Great work on it all so far, I look forward to a finished group shot.

Edited by Noctem Cultor

I feel you misunderstand me buddy. I meant having him in a pose similar to this. I know the assault marine legs are a bit more aggressive than the Termi legs but these are the bits I had to hand. Ignore all the blu tac as its still an early WIP berserker.

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n235/Stovie_2006/Biohazards%20Worldeaters/9300E2C7-CBDB-4486-91D2-498A0A52FCE6.jpg

Hopefully you can see more of what I mean with the pose. If the rear (his left) arm is back like he is ready to bring the sword around you can either have his bolter to the front in his right hand or have an open hand with his bolter mag locked to his armour.

Edited by Biohazard

Ahhh! Cheers. Sorry, right before you posted I realized I misunderstood you and changed my response - but now that I read your reply I understand that I still misunderstood. Lol.;)

I like that pose indeed, but i don't have any open handed right hands... Or do you mean he should have a bolter in his right? Also, the posing on your zerker's legs is different than my termie's I'm afraid: while the left is forward and the right on the rear, your front leg is raised, while mine has the right raised... I'd love to have that pose on a chaos terminator's legs! But alas it doesn't exist...

But what do you think of the updated dude? In all honesty I agree with Heinrich in that he should be wielding the sword with both hands...

Yeah like I say those were the parts I had to hand. As for the new pose it's better but it's still not quite there. I think if you want the sword in his right hand you'll need to turn the torso towards his right keeping the left arm across the chest on the hilt of the sword, then turn his head to look over his left knee. It'll help look like he's striding forward purposefully about to launch into an attack. Hopefully.

Again, some awesome suggestions. Thanks everyone for helping me with this. Xarl has been an absolute nightmare to pose right. He was the last of the six -meaning I had the added pressure of building him in a way that made him 'fit in'  with the rest- and I had no time left to buy bits for him, which left me with posing him with what I had.

@Noctem Cultor: I agree and I changed it around completely. 

@Biohazard: dude thank you so much. At first I absolutely disagreed with what you suggested, but then I though - what the hell, I'm going to let go of my pre-conceived notion of what he should look like and just do this. So I turned the chain way to his right and reposed his arms, and I am super happy with how he looks right now. Thank you for pushing me to think outside of the box I built around my own head - your suggestions, along with Brother Heinrich's, have been incredibly valuable and I wouldn't have ended up with how he looks without you guys. Thanks!

@kizzdougs: Cheers mate - what do you think of him now? Also - did you read my reply to you in a previous post? About taking credit? Hope you know it was all tongue in cheeck. ;)

@Teetengee: I changed the arm pose. He's now (in my mind) menacingly approaching the enemy. Do you agree?

@Retributis: Well, that guy is slightly too dynamic, but imagine him slightly more relaxed and you pretty much end up with how I built Xarl now, right? :D

OK, so here goes. Here he is, how I've built him today. Again, tremendous thanks to all who gave feedback, and especially to Biohazard and Brother Heinrich. Biohazard helped me get the pose right and Heinrich  pushed me to change the sword, cut the evisceratyor of a berzerker I was really happy with and use it on Xarl.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/Xarl%204_zpsa6nyudzd.jpg

What do you think? Good? Bad? Is this Xarl to you? Feedback of course welcome.

Also: notice: the GS is still drying in these pics, so there will be WAY more trophies, skulls, chains and other bits and pieces added to him, so no worries about that.

Yes perfect!! Now it works. He looks as if he's about to burst into a sprint at some poor wretch that got in his way. Looking forward to seeing them all completed. You've also inspired me to finally have a go at a true scale marine. I've thought about it for years but seeing your First Claw and Kizzdougs efforts im gonna have a go at a one off model.

Much better man, though the left hand feels a little off, remember in a big two-handed swing like that, the lower hand is the driving force, pulling the blade across the body, while the higher hand serves as the fulcrum upon which the blade swings and gains momentum. Think about the follow through on baseball bat if you see what i'm saying.