++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

Your work is spectacular Augustus. I can't believe how quickly you put out such amazing models.

With your terminator I feel the problem may be that there isn't enough contrast between the gold and the yellow, they appear to be a very similar shade just with one being metallic. I'm not to sure how to fix it though. You could replace some of the gold parts with silver, or start from a much brighter base for the gold. I think you should at least finish the test before making a decision but your idea of making the trim black may work well too.

Thanks guys. The overall concensus so far seems to be that it is the gold not contrasting enough with the yellow. So what I'l do is just finish one guy - with wahses and highlights on the gold, and then see what I think. I'll post a picture of that one guy, and then go with the overall consensus of what you guys think. :)

@ Sagentus: Cheers, that's great feedback. 

@ Scion of Ferrus: Thanks buddy! Gulden Draak sounds like a very sleazy Dutch 'brown'-bar in the red light district of Amsterdam. :D I'll slightly remane him to Gulden Draek, but he'll stand in XV squad!

@ Checkmate: Cheers buddy - I'll take your advice. :)

@ deathspectresgt7: Aw, sadly he isn't helmetless - but I'll be sure to give him some appropriate battle damage indicating claw markings. ;)

The balance issue I'd say lies in the tone similarity of your yellow and the current gold. Your yellow has a very strong, mustardy quality to it, while the gold is a strong yellow-gold tone. If I were you, I'd try highlighting the gold with a 2:1 mix of the gold and a light silver, glaze with faint purple and violett tones (red could end up a bit garish) and then add a final unifying shade of brown over the gold. Hope that helps, cant wait to see them finished :)

Sharp looking as always. I'm liking the white helmet, look forward to the calws. I really don't need more models, but I think I'll have to pick some of those up.  The end result will be corrupted, of course.

Switch the gold to steel would work well, or maybe add another colour such as red to try and make the gold pop more... Or some weathering in the yellow to add some contrast?

Edited by dantay_xv

You guys were absolutely right in that the gold didn't contrast well enough with the yellow. I heavily washed the gold with GW Agrax Earthshade and blacklined the trim with a 1:1 mix of AP Matt Black and GW Rhinox Hide, and highlighted the trim with a 1:1 mix of GW Liberator Gold and VMA Steel. 

What do you think (btw the claws are not the proper ones for this body - I just took two random claws and pauldrons and stuck them together... which might bite me in the ass later on, I realize when I write this. Crap. :wacko.:  [EDIT: phew, I just checked and I was very lucky to combine the pauldrons with the correct arms]

Tthis guy below is not yet completely finished -  he still needs weathering. I'm just posting him here to ask what you think about the contrast and the colour scheme right now. COntrasting enough? Let me know!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/Naamloos_zpspf6q5cfw.jpg

Thanks for your feedback and the replies - you really helped me focus here.

Replies:

@ The Observer: I did almost exactly what you wrote (I left out the purple shade, but I might still try that, actually). Do you like him like this, or...?

@ Björn Firewalker: Cheers - how a bout the end result?

@ deathspectresgt7: No problem - if you wan tto add some fluff to him, please feel free! I'll be sure to incoprorate it in the usual story :smile.:

@ rednekkboss: Ha! PLEASE buy the cataphractii and give them that beautifully disgusting Nurgle Plague treatment!

@ dantay_xv: I highlighted the gold with a mix of gold and steel. You think it works, or no?

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Looking good mate! Washes are a great way to contrast gold to yellow, especially the darker, rich yellow you are using (Which I MUCH prefer over the bright"hurt my eyes" yellow some folks use on their Imperial fists) As for this.....

"@ rednekkboss: Ha! PLEASE buy the cataphractii and give them that beautifully disgusting Nurgle Plague treatment!"

So let it be written.... so let it be done. I'm working on a plaguey Warsmith at the moment (I'll post him tomorrow), but I'm planning a trip down to the game store tomorrow.  If they are there, they will be coming home with me. My back injury is working out good for my hobby stuff, the chair at my desk is the only one I can sit in for a good amount off time without aggrivating it. :)  .... everybody wins.

Even though it looks great as it is I think that everything you did in gold would looks better in black, changing the trim to silver in the gorget at painting the kneepads in yellow to make it contrast more. However in gold it is also very cool, I guess it is a matter of personal taste.

Looking sweet, that added contrast was a good choice. Black trimmings could have worked as well, but as 1st Company guys tend to like wearing 'bling' I'd say that gold was a fitting choice. 

Cataphractii terminators truly make all other lightning claws bearers look like chumps.

Lovely devastators and assault marines there. Love the black color scheme of the latter. Totis Adors sporting a fleur de lys is hilariously appropriate.

Veteran sergeant Targus Vor is my favorite. Such a killer look, in more than just one meaning of the word.

The artwork that you posted earlier shows a dull, steely gold, and your new approach picks this up excellently to get both the bling and contrast. First Company are coming on very well. 

Looking forward to the Black Hammers too!

Love the termy, claws look amazing, helmet has some really nice contrast, the trim is nice and distinct and the black help break up the model really nicely.

I'm not as keen on the chaplain, maybe its because there's a lot of beige all in one place?

Nice work on the Cataphractii, I really do love that pattern of armour! I really like how you are using the HH artwork from the Black books as a guide, I used the EC ones for my Tartaros and apothecary!

A little late to the party as I've been otherwise engaged, but I am glad you kept the gold trim, I often find base colours don't quite work until the wash/blacklining bits have been added. I do like to hit my golds with a lot of washes, after a brownish one a couple of thin glazes of purple tone really helps bring it out. I've had lots of woes with various gold recipes given I do EC, lately I'm using Warplock Bronze, thin layers of Retributor gold followed by the new glossy Agrax, I then hit it with highlights of VMC Gold, which is pretty damn bright, then the violet tint then maybe a silver final highlight. The gloss wash really helps with the 'black lining' I find.

I am thinking you might get a little more pop from starting off with a dark gold base and highlighting up, because the yellow of the armour is warm perhaps the gold should be a little colder to create contrast. The Scale 75 range Necro gold could be an idea, if you can get it. I almost brought their gold set the other day, but I resisted as I am currently happy with my golds.

Both the Limited Edition Chaplain (I was really glad to read about the name, by the way :) ) are looking fantastic! I will say that I think deep red would work better for the wax on the purity seals, but that's just me. The Cataphractii Terminator works really well with the white helmet, and the parchment replacing the pteryges is a delicious little touch. Personally speaking, I prefer plain silver lightning claws, as they lend the model a more utilitarian, workmanlike feel, but then I have to remind myself that you're actually using these as 40k Terminators, so a little extra bling of war seems in order ;)

On a related note, I really like how one of your twin LC Termies has almost the exact same pose I've chosen for one of my own Cataphractii (talking about with the wide open stance and "Come to daddy" pose).

Keep up the amazing work, buddy! :)

Wow! Thank you guys! For the huge amount of comments (much appreciated) and the support. The overwhelming majority of you seem to like this colour scheme, so I persevered and did another one today. Meet the sergeant (don't worry, when the squad is fully finished, I'll do a full fluffy post of them all. :)

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/WP_20170406_002%202_zpse0g4lwrl.jpg

Of course, seeing as the previous terminator had the wrong left arm, I painted the correct one, and added that. So here's the final pose:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/WP_20170406_001%202_zpsutafx47k.jpg

Now, these are not quite finished yet - I aim to weather them with sponging and chipping - but I'll do that in one go when they're all finished to get the look as unified as possible.

Anyway, I hope you like this guy too and would love to hear any and all feedback you have for him. :) Is there anything missing, perhaps?

Cheers!

Replies:

@ The Observer: Haha, thanks, buddy!

@ rednekkboss: Oh YES! I'm very happy to hear this, and am very much looking forward to what you do on them. Incidentally, do you have a tutorial somewhere wherein you explian how you do the greenstuff Nurglite pustules and gribblies with which you adorn your models?

@ Viarocanum: Thanks! I wasn't sure if I'd do them in metal or colour, but as Krauty pointed out, above, they aren't 30K anymore, so I love them to have a bit more contrast.

@ Sagentus: Cheers for that vote of confidence, mate. That nice of you to say. 

@ The Traitor: Yu know what, that colour scheme is the exact one I was contemplating! I guess I chose gold over silver because I wanted the First Company to have a more regal feel to them. 

@ MrBear: Exactly that, indeed. First Company brothers need a bit of bling, no?

@ Knight of the Raven: Ha! I couldn't agree more with your first statement, there! Also, I'm glad you like 'your' marine's fluff, but am a bit surprised it took you so long to read it!

@ Psykic_scribe: Cheers! Me too - unfrotunately they are a bit expensive and I'm strapped for cash atm...

@ SkimaskMohawk: Tanks for the feedback! Glad you like teh cataphractii, but sad you don't the chaplain. ;) I agree there's a lot fo beige, but that's mostly his cape. ANd for consistency's sake, his outer robes had to be beige...

@ Lord Commander Eidolon: I now you did, and it paid off for you too! It's funny nhow everyone is suggesting  to use a purple wash to add to the gold trim. I'm going to try it now. SClae 75 paints are indeed fantastic - a friend picked up their 'fire' set and those reds are absolutely gorgeous. 

@ KrautScientist: He didn't have a name and your suggestion was perfect - so it's totally yours. If you have any fluffy suggestions (perhaps integrating him into your Eternal Hunt - my army is 32K themed, as you hopefully know, so he might have shad some altercations with Lorimar). Concerning the colour of the was on the purity seals: all my army's prity seal wax is purple, and I'm a bit of a stickler for consistency, so.... yeah. ;) 'Come to daddy' is indeed the sentiment I was shooting for. :D

@ Mechanist: Cheers! His sergeant's finished, now only two more dudes. :)