++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

Augustus, how are you finding that tentacle maker? I just purchased one online for a much smaller but similar conversion with dreadlocks I'm working on. The myriad different cables there look much better than before, nice job!

The tentacle makers are indeed a bliss. I bought them back in 2012 when Richard from GSI was still in the beginning of the process. I made a guest article about my Khorne Dark Apostle 'Bucephalus' for his site and even has some of my WIP pics of the Word Bearers dread I used it on ion his FB site. I was lucky to get my hands on his stuff before the craze so shipping was real fast :biggrin.:

It truly is a great tool: brings about some awesome results.

As, is self-evident, in this thread of win.

I always figured that they called the Lord of Skulls a walker that can thunderblitz because ruleswise that was the simplest way of doing it. It moves basically the same as a tank. It is just allowed to fight in cc. Just my .02. (I've actually done a lot of thinking before the LoS came out about how to do homebrew rules for a tracked cc vehicle due to a conversion I have been working on off and on for the last few years.)

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone! It's been a while - I've been settling in my new house and I haven't been able to find some of my tools after moving, especially airbrush cleaner and all my magnets! :ohmy.: Also Space Hulk happened. :biggrin.:

There's also good news: I managed to lay hands on no less than two kits of the OOP metal Legion of the Damned, plus the LotD Sergeant and a LotD Lasgunner. That's 22 awesome metal marines, littered with skulls, bones and trim - perfect for my Night Lords! I plan on using them as Noise Marines - one six man sonic blaster squad plus two blastmasters and two squads of six close combat noise marines + sergeants with doom sirens. 

My plan is to paint them so they integrate visually with my Night Lords. For that, I'm going to use two methods for different and varying parts of the armour: Start with my usual dark blue and then highlight up to pink, and start with a deep purple and highlight up to my usual lighting blue. I'm looking forward to painting them!

So here are pictures of the first two sonic blaster wielders I made:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/temporary_zpsa5a44b85.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/temporary_zps9c93d6bc.jpg

Hope you enjoy - and that these babies make my hobby vibe come back! There's a Call to Chaos starting again soon, and I'd like to participate :-)

Epic work man.

I had the same idea for my Night Lords "Noise Marines count as" the other day. I was searching for sprues of the kakophoni kit online but couldn't find any available.
I guess I know who bought them now ;)

Keep up the good work ! Cant wait to see them painted.

Eight Legged Lord of Skulls update: I found my magnets (yay!), so I spend last night magnetizing the weapons - which led me to start and finish the base for it.

Weapon magnet work:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/temporary_zps5149a478.jpg

Base sans 8-legged LoS

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/temporary_zps492b75fa.jpg

Base with 8-legged LoS

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/temporary_zps3549b9c9.jpg

Thanks for looking and as always: feedback most welcome!

Replies:

@MrBear: thanks mate for always looking and spurring me on: you rock :tu:

@Flint13: haha me too! Unfortunately I'm still looking for my airbrush cleaner (lost it in my moving boxes somewhere) and even when I find it, it remains to be seen if I repaired my compressor sufficiently - and I'm quite low on funds atm so I can't buy anything new. 

@John Bastard: thanks mate - and you might find some kakophoni on alibaba or other ebay alternatives.

@Forte: Cheers! Always happy with Slaaneshi approval of Noise Marines.

With CoC around the corner and me still trying to find a moment to buy me some new airbrush components and cleaner, I can't help but be a bit of a hobby butterfly. The 8-L LoS is as built as can be and the noise marines have been proven to be a viable built, so I'm moving forwards! Or backwards: remember WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY back in May I vowed a (DG) Contemptor that ended up getting lost in the mail? I finally sorted it out with the seller PLUS I got the new Night Lords Contemptor. So no less than two of those bad boys are in the pipeline. 

My plan is to do the Night Lords' one with the originally planned dual butcher cannons, which I was able to finally assemble. They're magnetized at the same point as my Contemptor Captain's weapons, so I am able to switch them around. I'm planning to do that as standard (I really like the SoH one too, so that one will probably be added sometime)

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/temporary_zps37bf98a5.jpg

I switched the exhausts of the dual butcher cannon contemptor with that of a FW 'normal' chaos dread, after an awesome example by Brother Heinrich.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/temporary_zps8bf5039a.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/temporary_zps6b548f85.jpg

Finally, I converted a contemptor's plasma cannon with a larger plasma cannon's muzzle - again of a FW 'normal' chaos dread bit - built after another awesome example by brother Heinrich, who was kind enough to show us how he built it after I asked. Thanks Heinrich!!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/temporary_zps82710545.jpg

That's it for today, I hope you like. Thanks for looking and don't hold back your comments. They keep me going and you all have given me some awesome feedback in the past, which greatly improved my modelling. Keep it coming please! 

Replies:

@Kierdale: Thanks mate! I'll be sure to vow the 8-L LoS with the CoC, so keep a keen eye on these pages :thumbsup:

@KrautScientist: You can bet your butcher cannons on it! But the World Eaters reinforcements will have to wait until after the Dark Prince's corruption has taken enough hold of my NIght Lords. I have bought the four classic Chaos Marines, so you can bet that one WE will get some frenemies :biggrin.:

@Miteyheroes: Thanks mate! He needs some more muscles on his hind legs, but he's pretty much ready for paint. 

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Looking good so far!

I've got my own lil NL contemptor incoming, so I'm totally looking to you for inspiration.

Mostly on how to make those little skin patches look not goofy. ^_^

http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/Call_of_Chaos_7_Poster.jpg

I, Augustus b'Raass, will be the first to answer the 7th  Call of Chaos and vow to complete six units, namely an Eight Legged Lord of Skulls, one Contemptor with dual Butcher Cannons, one Contemptor with Heavy Plasma Cannon, Power Claw and Havoc Launcher, one unit of five Chosen with Plasma Guns, One Chaos Rhino, and one Lord with twin Lightning Claws (guess who I hope comes out before Christmas) before January 15th 2015. If I do this successfully I will receive the Mark of Postulant Glory and continue on the path to ruin. If I fail I’ll wear the Mark of the Lost and I expect no mercy on my soul!

I will update this post with links to Start, WIP and Finished shots of all units.

1. Eight Legged Lord of Skulls
  2. Contemptor with dual Butcher Cannons
  3. Contemptor with Heavy Plasma Cannon, Power Claw and Havoc Launcher
  4. Five Chosen with Plasma Guns
  5. Chaos Rhino
  6. Lord with dual Lightning Claws

Really loving your work man! How was your trip to the Himalayas??

Thanks lionofjudah! The trip was awesome. Check out a picture of me and the rest of the group on the 6.1Km summit here.  

Looking good so far!

I've got my own lil NL contemptor incoming, so I'm totally looking to you for inspiration.

Mostly on how to make those little skin patches look not goofy. :happy.:

I'm looking forward to yours (you show me yours I'll show you mine :tongue.:). Do you want me to do a tutorial on the skin patches?

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

On the one hand, I wish you saved the Lord of Skulls for the ETL. On the other, I really want to see it with paint on it, so it's a win either way!

Also, as much as I dislike the Kakophoni weapons, they work well on LotD bodies. You gonna go for some kind of effect on the casing?

Dragonlover

Update time! Despite a super busy week at work - needing to drive 2 hours to and from a new project and working 60 hr weeks, thus leaving me even less hobby time - I managed to finally get some decent work done on both the first contemptor's pose and the finishing touches on the Lord of SKulls.

First up is the dual butcher cannon wielding contemptor. I wanted to have the butcher cannons 'feel' like the enormous weapons they are - thus I opted for the body with the enlarged engine block I created last weekend. Also, as I want as much variety in poses, this one needed to have the right foot in front and lower than the left foot. This fitted well with the pose I imagined the dread to have, having to brace for against the massive recoil the two enormous guns would produce while firing.

The mock up for the pose here is held together mostly with poster buddy, although the knee joint and the lower back and pelvis are glued together. What do you think?

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/temporary_zpsf8389471.jpg

Second is the final final touches of the Lord of Skulls. I sculpted the last muscles surrounding the joints attaching the legs to the 'pelvis' of the beast. These muscles both serve to enhance the whole daemon engine jive, as well as to strengthen the joints structurally. I've been warned both off- and online that these are very weak. I've already driven nails through them for added strength, but I figured some extra surface area would hurt either. 

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/temporary_zps8c0fded8.jpg

I also finally got my hands on a new bottle of airbrush cleaner, so there's now nothing stopping me from starting painting. Except for real life responsibilities, that is.... ;)

That's it for today! Hope you like. Feedback as always welcome - and thanks for looking. :D

Replies!

@Flint13: Will do Flint! Coming Thursday I took an extra day off and I'll make some pics as I do some extra skinwork on the contemptor. :tu:

@KrautScientist: haha me neither mate! Luckily I can finally start painting now that I have all the grear I need. Hopefully my compressor holds up. 

@Barrabas Sogalon: Thanks mate, so glad you like it. I'll take walkers over tracked vehicles any day ;)

@Dragonlover: The only reason I'd wait with the LoS for next ETL is the points value, but that to me is less important than just getting him done when I want. And I want it now, and lucky for me there's the call of chaos right now! ;) About the kakaphoni weapons and the 'effect on the casing' you're refering to, I'm not sure what you mean... could you explain - and maybe have suggestions regarding it? Love to have your feedback :tu: