++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

Was going to post something then saw Heinrich basically beat me to it. If you've ever wielded an axe or a sledgehammer (both for totally legitimate purposes, I swear) you'll know that the lowermost hand needs to have a much firmer grip on the instrument's shaft. At the moment he looks great, but his hand looks like he's weirdly caressing the butt of the haft. Caressing its butt. Huehuehuehue

I think someone needs to do a diorama of Xarl at the moment of inflicting death via headbutt on that Genesis Chapter champion...

^^ Yeah, I'll back up both Heinrich and Arkhan here. I swing a sledge at a giant tire pretty regularly. 

On the one hand, technical accuracy. On the other, butt caresses (fnar fnar)

@ Arkhan - To be fair, it was probably the decapitation that killed him, not the copious headbutts. 

I haven't read the NL trilogy in a while, I'm sure you're right. The image of Xarl nutting someone to death is a lot more badass in my mind's eye though.

Not going to lie, I've never actually, literally snorted a beverage before.

Might want to spell check that one real quick :D

@KrautScientist: That's exactly what I'm aiming for. And... wow. No nitpicks from you. I take that as the biggest confirmation that he's now perfect. :wink: BTW I found that the biggest hurdle with those legs is the weird thingies on left leg. I cut those all off, which made the direction of his stride much more obvious. :thumbsup:

@Biohazard: That's cool, man! Totally go for it and take a look at doghouse's tutorial, especially page 10.

@Teetengee: Thanks for the suggestion, though the pose doesn't really say guitar player to me. Are you yourself a guitar player or watch rock videos a lot? - that might explain you stance :biggrin.:

@helterskelter: Cheers! 

@Noctus Cornix: I totally agree. That idea was boxed for a future terminator lord with perhaps the murderer's sword or something.

@kizzdougs: Good! Was I right though about your timing? - honest question. 

@Kurama: Haha. You're doomed if you see this coming for you.

@Black_out: It certainly doens't make perfect cuts, I'll tell you that. :wink:

And then, Brother Heinrich, Flint13, and Brother Chaplain Arkhan (EDIT: it used to read Brother Kage). You bring up an interesting point regarding the apparent loose grip of the left hand, but I do not agree with your pov. Bear in mind two things.

1. He's not swinging. He's just getting into a fighting position. A sword that big is probably held up when not 'in service', for example like this..
    963d6e7ab2d4284ece4da494203635b2.jpg
    To start using it as a sword, you have to bring it lower and to the back - preferably lowered behind either your body or leg, to mask its actual length (five years of Kendo training here) (Yes, there's also the high-held stance that sword masters like Miyamoto Musashi preferred, but that's not the stance I chose). Xarl's pose as it is right now, is exactly the moment after bringing it back and just before the first swing is started. The right hand bears the weight and the general direction, while the left hand is about to guide the swing both in terms of direction and the last 'sweep'.
  2. All three of you have given examples of top heavy weapons: baseball bats, sledgehammers, or axes. If you're swinging those weapons I completely agree that you need a tight grip on both hands (indeed the lower hand still is more important than the upper hand in guiding the weapon's arch, but much less so than when wielding a weapon like a sword ). But all those weapons are top heavy, have a center of gravity that is at the end of the 'stick'. As the 'stick' acts as a lever, making the weight work much harder against the swing. By contrast, Xarl's blade, in my mind, would physically behave very differently from the weapons you mentioned: it would behave like a katana or a bokken sword, in that the handle and the blade are equal in weight per unit of length, and thus have a very balanced distribution of weight to it. In effect, the center of gravity is much closer to the hilt of the sword than say an axe. It's about at the center of the entire weapon, or about a third of the length of the blade from the cross guard (that's 50% of the weapon's weight you now do not have to make swing, when compared to your top-heavy weapon examples). As such, the right (upper) hand can bear most of the weight, while the left (lower) hand is there mostly to guide the weapon, so as to create the most efficient cut. The lower hand as such actually benefits from a loose grip - as a tight grip allows for less nuanced movement of the wrist and hand. Now, while Xarl is not a swordsman like Lucius, he in my mind still has an above average skill with the sword - the entire 10th company fears him because of it, and he was able to face off a SM champion (granted, he won that fight more with fierce combat brutality than with his skill with the sword, but still). Hence, the apparent loosened grip/butt caress. :thumbsup:

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

I am going to steer clear of advising you over Xarl, though he is looking good so far. I am however going to congratulate you on Talos! I can't think of any words so I am just going to swear; :cuss me he's awesome!! Massive kudos on such a great conversion and paint job. They are all great but he is tops (so far!)

Really stellar work :)

While I could see where the others are coming from, you have given a great and very detailed explanation as to why you posed his hands the way that you did.

Massive respect for that. A lot of people would have said, "just because..... it's my model and I wanna" then spat their dummy out the pram.

I think your depiction of each of first claw is stupendously good and dripping with flavour, I absolutely love Talos.... All I can say is Ave Dominus Nox!!

Final WIP pics of Xarl. I've adorned him with plenty of skulls-on-chains. given him a mag-locked bolter, and several oath of moment papers.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/Xarl%2051_zpsua3eivwp.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/Xarl%2052_zpslfncm15u.jpg

Hope you like!! Feedback welcome (although there's little I can do to change anything from this point on... :wink:

Replies!

@Midnight Runner: Don't steer clear of the discussion for fear of offending me, mate! I see it more as a brainstorm session with multiple all-valid ideas than as a discussion, and it has led to many awesome models. :thumbsup: Thanks for the compliment on Talos - I'm not sure he's my favourite, but he's definitely up there with Xarl and Variel.

@kizzdougs: Ah ok! Well, then the boards are truly graced with a convergence in the Talos force :wink:

@dantay_xv: Cheers mate. I like to explain why I've made the decisions I've made. Not to 'win', but to allow others to see my train of though. I'm not saying any one stance is 'better', but a healthy intellectual to-and-fro certainly aids in pinpointing the reason behind certain developments, and allows others to provide better possible counter arguments. As I've said before many times: it's what makes me go! :biggrin.: Ave Dominus Nox, brother!

I wasn't aware me and Kage had coalesced into a single entity, Augustus. ;)

I can't agree with your thing about Astartes chainswords not being top heavy, but the model does look good as-is, so your call. They're literally the definition of a brute force weapon as opposed to a weapon of finesse, lol.

Very keen to see him painted :)

It was more down to the fact I like his pose (and that your explanation was so descriptive) as to why I wouldn't advise on Xarl - he has the makings of being best yet! He, along with Urzas (I really don't know why I am drawn to the Khornate psycho and the one with the massive chainsword...) are my personal fave members of first claw. So, uh, carry on awesoming them! :D

Finished Xarl. A joy to paint. With this, the Astartes of First Claw are finished. Now all it needs is Septimus, Octavia, and maybe even Deltrian... :D

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Showcase%20Night%20Lords/WP_20150313_003_zpskcixcph6.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Showcase%20Night%20Lords/WP_20150313_004_zpsog9trruk.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Showcase%20Night%20Lords/WP_20150313_005_zpszznzcbbz.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Showcase%20Night%20Lords/WP_20150313_006_zpsbpgvpevv.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Showcase%20Night%20Lords/WP_20150313_007_zpsdw24pf17.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Showcase%20Night%20Lords/WP_20150313_002_zpspvddpau3.jpg

Hope you like! As always, feedback and comments much appreciated. :tu:

Replies:

@Black_out: thanks mate! Glad they agree with you.

@Biohazard: Thaks buddy!

@Retribitus: He's finished only now. Hope you still like him :)

@Brother Heinrich: Yeah his head definitely needed to shift somewhat. Is it ok as it is now (can still be altered...)

@Brother-Captain Arkhan: Woops, sorry mate. You know how it is, with all those Brother-Somethings (funny how many Frater deign to give themselves high astartes ranks. But hey, if it works for Kirk, Crunch and Kangaroo, it could work for you? :tongue.:).... aaaaand I'll just continue digging the hole I'm in... ;) About the chainsword: Let me be very clear about something: the eviscerator is about the most brute force weapon in the astartes close combat arsenal. I'm not saying it isn't a crude, brute weapon, or even that it is a weapon of finesse. I'm not saying it isn't heavy, because it most definitely is. What I'm saying is that the eviscerator, like all chainswords, isn't top-heavy. The distribution of weight is such that its center of gravitic pull is only slightly above the cross guard. Consider that the engine section (hardly disputable to be the heaviest section of the weapon) is directly above the cross guard and that the rest of the blade probably only is armour and a simple wheel to guide the chain in the top. By contrast, a hammer or axe has most of the weight at the very end of the weapon - this alone makes the eviscerator more easy to handle as opposed to other CC weapons of similar weight. But the fact remains that the eviserator is a heavy and crude weapon, that oozes brutality. ;)

@Psykis_scribe: Where do you think he got all thsoe chains? Also: 'hedge-trimmer'. :D

@Midnight Runner: If you like them so much, I dare you to write down the sounds of buzzing chain weapons.

@jeremy1391: Cheers mate! Thanks for commenting!

Damn, this is one sexy thread. Drooling a little over the metalwork you have going on Xarl there. Looks fantastic so far!

And even though it'd be cool to see you do a true-scale Dread, have you considered doing Variel instead? Especially with the shattered symbol on his shoulderpad, narthecium dripping blood, as he's holding someone's face in his hand (not their head. Just their face). 

Stop doing everything so awesome dammit!

... I have now decided that I shall be upset if you *dont* do Deltrian :D

Not many folks have the moxy to torture an VIII legion commanding officer for (probably) science...