++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

Also, I finished this guy. He took me about as long as those seven Word Bearers took me. I'm trying to up my painting game - bought some magnifying glass thingy and am working with Scale75 metallics and a wet palette lately. I hope it shows. 

gcIMcZq.jpg

CbalLiH.jpg 
Let me know what you think. I'm really trying to improve my game here, so any C&C is welcome. 

Cheers

Replies:

@ Brother Chaplain Kage: Ah well I'm on there for the same reasons as you and don't realy care about the likes I'm getting - but I have found that there's also a community there as well. And you can't argue against the point that uploading stuff there is far easier than it is here. Granted, it's not the B&C in terms of community. Not by a long shot. But for a while, the B&C was not the same for me as it has been. I'm getting the feeling back though, however! It's the reason I am posting more frequently again. But a lot of the old frater seemed to have moved on! I mean - even Krauty hasn't been on here for months now.  

@ BadgersinHills: Herp derp of course you were talking about that helmet. Sorry, my bad. I'm high on morphine almost all day, so please forgive me. And thank you! 

@ jaxom: I will not disagree with you! I just gotta find out if the WB colour scheme will work on the WE bases I'm doing. Because the army needs to look unified...... AAAAAND writing this answer has given me an idea! I'll make a base like my WE and see how one of the WB I did looks on it (they're pinned on the bases sans glue, so it should be easy enough!) I'l do it tomorrow and show pictures here. Thanks for the idea!

Excellent work! That Havoc looks mean. 

I see that you painted the gun connections a sort of flesh color. Do you view them as a type of membrane concocted by the Dark Mechanicum to protect the connectors? Or perhaps keep them lubricated? I’ve been painting mine gray because I’m not really sure what they’re supposed to be. Perhaps some sort of wired targeting/status interface that feeds into the power armor helmet?

Woop! Another Havoc finished.

CBNq7Nq.jpg

HhOsHuR.jpg

For some reason I only took five pictures of him, hence the bit of a divergance from my normal format of three pics in a row. 

In any case, I'm in a bit of an awkward position. I'm pretty committed to this World Eater list I've concocted and right now I am two Venomcrawlers, a ten-man Khorne Berzerker Squad, and half a Havoc squad in. However, after painting those Word Bearers, and realizing that I really need access to Psychic powers to make those venomcrawlers work and to the Mark of Slaanesh to make those Havocs work, I'm seriously thinking of doing a sizable Word Bearers army to the side. Word Bearers are red of colour. And I chose the pre-heresy scheme. It'd be so much easier to do my Khorne Berzerkers in their 40k scheme of Red-and-Brass to make the two armies fit together well on the table. I could do all the daemon engines without any Legion specific iconography and so make them work for both a Word Bearer and World Eater army. But that would require me to repain a sizable model count....

I'd love to hear what you guys think about this....

Cheers

Replies:

@ Bjorn Firewalker: Yhank you!

@ Mechanist: Thanks! Yeah well that chain cannon guy took as long - if not longer - as the entire WB squad to paint! :D

@ BadgersinHills: Thank you! Crisp is what I went for! ;)

@ deathspectersgt7: Who's your chapter scourge?

@ Shovelovin: Ha! Yeah I did them in flesh colour but mainly because the colours looked beter than grey or black on this miniature. I've alwsy seen them as some weird combination tech and bio/daemonic stuff. Kinda like the Daemon Engines that also feature those kinds of cables. And these Havocs surely are further along the scale of corruption then regular space marines, no? So it'd make sense that their weapons would be too. At least in my mind.

Another great addition to the WEs.

With regards to colour schemes blue works with red and it's not like the different factions will clash or anything.

The teeth of khorn looks so cool and to run them in any colour with all that Khornate iconography would just be wrong to put a MoS on them and would probably get your dice cursed.

I guess it depends on how your going to game, is it with friends not worried about meta or pick up games? Are you taking them to tournaments?

I think some photos with both the Berzerkers and the world eaters would be good to see how they look together.

FInished the Havoc Aspiring Champion

LNPogYg.jpg

MypRZxQ.jpg

So now I've got a teeny tiny little illegal squad! Just photographed them together - I'm quite proud of them!

EvMnt7j.jpg

Let me know what you think. 

Cheers

Replies:

@ Mechanist: I know blue works with red, but White doesn't really jive with red, and white is the primary colour. Also, There's no way I would put the red Word Bearers on those rust-coloured dusty bases I've been putting my World Eaters on. That'd clash and would not look good. In stead, I'd put the Word Bearers on something akin to what I put the Word Bearers I did this week. Which would mean I'd have to at least redo all the bases of the World Eaters, as I think the white-and-blue World Eaters would look better on those than the Word Bearers would on those I've been using for my World Eaters now, wouldn't you agree? Also, I don't mean give these Havocs the mark of slaanesh. What kind of person do you take me for?! I meant make an entirely new squad of Havocs in Word Bearer colours and give them the Mark of Slaanesh - maybe paint a shin plate on each model pink?  As to what games I intend to play: I always make armies so that they can compete in the highest level tournaments - so WYSIWIG as the bare minimum and the highest standard of painting to get into the most exlcusive ones. I want to get into No Retreat Gibraltar at least another time! About the photos you suggested: the Berzerkers I posted earlier are the World Eaters I am talking about - they have the WE pre-heresy colour scheme and the WE symbol on their left pauldrons. :smile.:

@ Bjorn Firewalker: About the chain cannons:

There's no way I was going to do that, so I searched eBay and lo and behold there are tons of 3D options to turn the other projectile heavy weapons in the kit into Chain Cannons. I picked the one I liked the most, which are designed to fit Heavy Bolters. 

So yeah, they're 3rd party 3D prints that fit on the plastic Havoc kit's Heavy Bolter and Autocannon builds.

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

That Havoc aspiring champion looks mean! I really like that bolter from CSM box; such a rad set up. I also like the bases for these WE. The color contrast with the white and blue armor works well.

Did you purchase the shell casings or make them?

Looking good, will the orange dust be carried up onto the model? It looks a bit off to see them so clean but I'd be wary of weathering that nice cream myself. I'm a much bigger fan of World Eaters Havocs than 41st millenium pre-heresy schemes so this is exactly the sort of project to confuse my aesthetic taste.

Whether or not its worth making some Slaanesh Havocs to stay competative really depends on the time frame. Endless Crutch Cacophony seems very likely to vanish in any updated rules set. But as someone who's just reading a thread to see pretty models I would recommend that you just go all in, proper Slaanesh badge on one shoulder pad and rather than a pink leg plate a unique extravagent pattern like leopard spots or an high contrast camo scheme for each Havoc that's duplicated somewhere on one arm. Pink isn't a great contrast with Word Bearer red since it might just look like a faded or weathered panel and if you're going to put visual effort into showing dedication to the god of excess then subtlety feels quite misquided.

Aspiring Champion looks good!

I'm still unsure about the wisdom in making the havocs be 5 man strong at the cap, without the sargeant/champion to be able to take the option as the rest of the squad. It would be nice to throw in another heavy weapon into the mix, plus the Legion heavy support squads operated that way. You COULD drop the heavy weapon, but the option is there is where i'm going with that. 

Sorry if I’m late to the party but in my view pre-heresy World Eater scheme and dark red Word Bearer scheme look great together in the same army. This is awesome work and will be more awesome with Word Bearers - although if I may offer a small suggestion I would limit my palette a bit more on the Word Bearers, there are a lot of colours in the ones you’ve done.

Fourth one finished!

++Havoc Squad Chain Cannon guy++
Love this guy. He's bog standard, except for his FW Sastaferrum MkII helmet.
6xGHbub.jpg

qIyz4xe.jpg

++Lightning Claw Aspiring Champion++

In addition, I've been kitbashing the Aspiring CHampion of the second Khorne Berzerker squad together. He's equiped with the veeeeeery old school Chaos Power Fist with the long claws.
Y5aXZlL.jpg

And the fingers on that old school Power Fist are so incredibly long, I could easily use it as a Lightning claw - so I magnetized it so that he can be equiped with dual Lightning Claws as well as with a Power fist+Astartes Chainsword. 

SUJOOmF.jpg

Good times. 

++Thunderwulfen++
In addition, I've been incredibly inspired by a guy who'se been on Instagram a lot longer than I, but has started painting 40K miniatures only in 2012. His name is @thunderwulfen and he creates just... incredible loyalist Space Marines called the Soul Haunters. When someone pointed them out to me, it was only in text, and he described them as the Soul Hunteres - which was the name of my first Chaos Space Marine warband, created when I was 16 in the mid-90's. They where dark grey and had bone and gold details. So it was a very funny surprise when I set my eyes on thunderwulfen's Soul Haunters, which have a very similar recipe. It's just that tunderwulfen paintes like a pro, and his conversions are just beyond cool. I can go on and on about how incredibly detailed and just spot on all his detailing, conversion work, reposing, and his painting is, but you just have to go see it for yourself. This guy is just so talented!!

He's recently reached 40,000 followers and it is well deserved.  
00OtO78.png

Again, go see his stuff and give him a follow, a few likes if you're so inclined, and a comment. 

He's inspired me to just do better on my own marine army/armies. So be prepared to se a lot more parchment, leather, chains, skulls, and trophies on my next CHaos Space Marines, which will feature some older marks in truescale, made by a third party producer. And I'm going to create my own Chaos Space Marine warband with a custom colour scheme, so that I can use them as any Legion I want in the game. 

++Question++

Oh! And in case I forgot, can anyone direct me to that page on this board with a chaos space marine where you can fill in any part (trim, body, helmet, details, anything really) of his body with any colour? It's to try out a colour scheme and I really hate it, because  scheme 
EDIT: Never mind. Found it.

In any case, thanks for looking and happy hobbying!

Cheers

Replies:

@ Shovellovin: Yeah it's a great little bit for sure! The shell casings are from Zinge Industries. :thumbsup:

@ Bjorn Firewalker: Thanks you again!

@ space wolf: Chears buddy! I love your moniker - short and simple, to the point! You must be an ancient member of the bboard to have it!

@ CLoset Skeleton: I guess you're right - I figured because they stood on rocks and their feet aren't touching the dust, they wouldn't be dusty. But of course, they got up those rocks, so OF COURSE they should be dusty. THANK YOU for pointing it out, this will make these better. I don't agree with your suggestion of just adding Slaanesh symbols or dedicating a panel or shoulder pad to these havocs. That would be such a sacriledge I shivver at the very notion. These guys are Khornate World Eaters, afer all! No way will they accept anything to do with that feebleminded 'God'. No, if I ever will have Slaaneshi Havocs, I'll get a new kit and do them all over. :wink:

@ Hungry Nostraman Lion: Well the unit is five man strong and you cannot add any more, so there really is no choice! I cannot give him another heavy weapon, just special weapon. But those are all either short ranged or energy based, neither of which can or will spill blood in the name of Khorne, so I'm sticking to the bolter!

@ LameBeardThat's nice of you to say, and I believe you.... IF You prove it! Where can I find pictures of your red Word Bearers next to pre-heresy World Eaters? I agree on the limiting of the palette. I overdid the OSL green and it is a bit too yellowish. 

@ deathspectresgt7: Aha! Well int hat case: whoop whoop, buddy! Show me him!

In any case, thanks for looking and happy hobbying!

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

There hasn't been a single 'merely good' model in your recent posts, just a string of non-stop excellence. The pre-heresy colour scheme on your World Eaters works amazingly with the conversion work you've put in and all the bits you've used for them as well.

tenor.gif?itemid=11781718

YE GODS.

The Teeth are looking gorgeous! I love how nasty, wrinkled and discolored you painted the Champion's bare head, gives me big Palpatine vibes and it provides a lovely contrast to the bright and mostly-clean colours of his armour. :devil:  The level of detail with all the little nicks and scratch marks is fantastic btw, it shows that while the Teeth might not usually get close enough to be splattered head-to-toe in gore like their fellows they're by no means afraid to put themselves in harm's way and get their hands dirty. The bases are also excellently done, the half-buried skulls and spent shells in the sand are a lovely extra detail. :happy.:

The new WIP Berzerker Champion is looking sick! I take it the base is the Chaos Lord from the Blackstone Fortress set, right? The cape and back banner add a nice sense of motion to an otherwise fairly static pose, and really you can never go wrong with those sweet helms from the FW Zerker kit. :wink: The old school power fist is a great addition, as I mentioned previously, I really enjoy your mixing of parts both old and new to build unique-looking marines, although I would advocate adding a thumb to the fist just because the lack thereof looks very peculiar, especially when paired with the claw. In regards to the weapon options, I much prefer the visual of the Chainsword & Fist combo, it looks like he's perhaps ordering his squad forward or bellowing a challenge to some hapless git who's caught his attention, but either way he's looking super promising and I can't wait to see more of him! :biggrin.:

Really nice stuff, loving the conversions. 

I'm waiting for the new Chaos Codex and I have the (perhaps naive) hope that the EC and WE codices will be released before then, so seeing your models is really great inspiration in a dry spell of motivation.

I've seen Thunderwulfen's work before and it's really great. I will say that I've equally admired your past minis as I have his. 

Really looking forward to seeing your own warband! 

Hope everything is well otherwise bud. 

Fourth one finished!++Havoc Squad Chain Cannon guy++

Love this guy. He's bog standard, except for his FW Sastaferrum MkII helmet.6xGHbub.jpg

@ LameBeardThat's nice of you to say, and I believe you.... IF You prove it! Where can I find pictures of your red Word Bearers next to pre-heresy World Eaters? I agree on the limiting of the palette. I overdid the OSL green ...thanks for looking and happy hobbying!

Well I wouldn’t be so brazen as to say “proof” but not long ago my son and I wanted to play a game of ‘Betrayal at Calth’ and he didn’t have enough Word Bearers for the mission, so we made up the numbers with my World Eaters. Now they aren’t even consistently based, but I just thought they looked swell together.

med_gallery_93054_12142_121381.jpeg

If the picture doesn’t convince you, search images of Argel Taal and Khârn together!

Edited by LameBeard

. I don't agree with your suggestion of just adding Slaanesh symbols or dedicating a panel or shoulder pad to these havocs. That would be such a sacriledge I shivver at the very notion. These guys are Khornate World Eaters, afer all! No way will they accept anything to do with that feebleminded 'God'. No, if I ever will have Slaaneshi Havocs, I'll get a new kit and do them all over. :wink:

I didn't mean to suggest that at all. That's why I was commenting on whether or not Pink would contrast with Word Bearers red.