++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

@ KrautScientist: I didn't do anything about the tips but painted them 'power' blue to suggest that the weapon is actually a shock whip. Satisfied? Stay heathly yourself, mate :wink: Seriously though: I did contract Corona from my good friend and neighbour across the street who'se a GP and contracted it from a patient. The symptoms he and I have are very mild though - a bad cough, a bit of a mild head ache and some muscle aches. It kinda feels like a mild flu but with the cough. 

@ Gederas: What do you think of the blue power tips on the lash? Also, don;t encourage Krauty - GW naming is his pet peeve. :wink:

I think they look great actually.

Also, sucks to hear you got the WuFlu. Hope you get better soon. Regarding the symptoms though.... From what I've seen from the World Health Organization, what you've got is how it is in a majority cases. The more "severe" ones is basically mild/moderate Pneumonia (because severe Pneumonia is death).

@ K0nahrik: Thank you. It was a tad expensive to get that bit (I bought the entire Unmade kit for it) but hey, I get some good spare bits extra :wink:

Nooo! You should have said something -- I would gladly have sent that bit over to you!

Anyway, great job on the slavers: The paintjob really brings them together quite nicely, and going for an industrial yellow on models like these is always the right direction, in my opinion! I also think you've found a good solution for the electro-whip, although I'd probably add one additional, lighter highlight to the tips to make it look even more like an electric glow. In fact, the warband does have just a bit of that "typical Contrast look" about it, if you don't mind me saying it, and I think that just a few very minor touchups here and there would go a really long way towards making it look even more awesome.

I also have on particular suggestion for a last-minute addition: On the guy with the harpoon gun, those augmetic braces on his arms are a wonderful detail, but they just seem to taper away into nothing towards his shoulders. Maybe giving him some small shoulder pads (some of the Goliath plates or some less spiky ork boy plates come to mind) would be a great way of masking that area while also adding to the gladiatorial look even more.

But anyway, excellent work, as always, buddy!

As for your health troubles: Ah, dang it! I should have kept my mouth shut. Wishing you a speedy recovery, though, and make sure the family doesn't fall ill as well! :)

Thanks for the awesome feedback guys! 

Seeing as they are the slaver guild, I thought I'd make them a couple captured slaves - who knows I will ever need them in a game of Necromunda, but I love making these GrimDark guys. What do you think? 

3YUCjDp.jpg

This project that I have dubbed 'The Necromunda Guild Project' has really got my hobby juices flowing. And with the Corona lockdown lasting at least until June 1st here in the Netherlands, I'll have a lot of time on my hands. Now, I did start the Water guild and I in fact already am far alogn with them, but I want to publish these guys a guild at a time. And seeing as I am still waiting for an order of plasticard to arrive that I will need to complete them, they will have to wait.

I also have ideas for the Prometheum/Power Guild, but there too, I cannot publish because I am still waiting for some bits. 

So let's start with the Coin Guild

When I decided to stop building armies and focus on INQ28 style hobbying for the foreseable future, I went and bought a lot of individual cool miniatures from Games Workshop and some third party companies. Two of the guys that I am very happy to have bought are the finecast Empire Priests - as they are now Out Of Production. Very soon after the Book of peril came out, I had decided that I would be using them as two bodyguards for one of the guild. For a long time, I thought to use them as Cinders for the perometheum Guild, but as they have such misery faces, I have now decided they will be Grovelers for the Coin Guild. 

These guys can be armed differently and the options they have are either a Long Rifle+Knife or a Shotgun+Knife. So... let's build both!
Here's what I have so far:

Shotgun and Knife:

DBCTSuC.jpg

Long Rifle and Knife
7NHVdqy.jpg

Now, I'm not saying either is far from finished - they need some more GrimDarking - but this last guy in particular still needs some GreenStuff work done, for he is missing a complete elbow. I removed both of his arms below the shoulder to fit the Skitarii long rifle+arms, and his left arm in particular still needs some work. Check it:

KtZp81Y.jpg

Any ideas on how to GrimDarken them up?

Cheers for looking and your comments, guys, I appreciate it!

Replies:

@ Quixus: Hahaha by all means!

@ DuskRaider: Thank you! Necromunda is perfect for you, btw - the bases are already done ;) :p SCNR

@KrautScientist: Don't worry about the bit - I have decided to never again buy bits. I've spent thousands upon thousands on Bits&Kits (in fact, I've averaged an order amonth for the last eight or nine years, all with free shipping (meaning over 30 and since '17 over 50 GBP) and I've finally realized it's actually cheaper to just buy the entire kit you need a bit from. It'll come in handy one day. :D

I've listened to every thing you said regarding the painting of the Slave Guilders - did some work on the power effect on the Whip, gave some contrast areas an extra highlight to remove that 'wash stain-y look'  here and there!

About the harpoon guy: we have a saying in Dutch 'Mustard After the Meal' - which means somtething to the effect of 'a good thing coming too late to be applicable'. That's your advice on the Suspensor on the Harpoon guy - he's already painted! So your advice is not 'last minute' - it's too late! There's no way I'm adjusting anything build related now. My OCD will not allow it. You've had two entire weeks  to comment on him, so whyyy of why tell this now that I cannot do anything about it anymore? In any case, I saw it even without your comment, and decided that the cables and power strips don;t look too much like they ' taper into nothing' - I figured they just are bolted through his flesh into his skeleton! :D Also, 'wie sage ich das jetzt'.... Du bist zu spät! :p ;)

CMDR_Welles: Haha yeah it looks wicked don't you think? Imagine getting shot at by that thing!

About the harpoon guy: we have a saying in Dutch 'Mustard After the Meal' - which means somtething to the effect of 'a good thing coming too late to be applicable'. That's your advice on the Suspensor on the Harpoon guy - he's already painted! So your advice is not 'last minute' - it's too late! There's no way I'm adjusting anything build related now. My OCD will not allow it. You've had two entire weeks  to comment on him, so whyyy of why tell this now that I cannot do anything about it anymore? In any case, I saw it even without your comment, and decided that the cables and power strips don;t look too much like they ' taper into nothing' - I figured they just are bolted through his flesh into his skeleton! :biggrin.:

It actually did seem like less of an issue before the models were painted and did only become obvious to me after your last post -- also, you may have noticed that we've had, you know, a bit of a situation going on across Europe, so please excuse my tardiness in replying ;)

Also, I am not convinced that it's too late: Those curved Ork shoulder plates, for one, are spacy enough to simply be added on top of the existing model, and painting them would take all of fifteen minutes. I cannot comment on your hobby OCD, and I definitely understand your reluctance to touch a finished model again (it's the same for me), but you wanted feedback, and that's what I offered. Fair enough, right?

Also, 'wie sage ich das jetzt'.... Du bist zu spät! :tongue.::wink:

This, however, has really made me crack up! Good times! ;)

So, anyway, regarding your guild project in general and the coin guild in particular:

I do love your focus on the guilds, because they do so seem like a missing link between Necromunda and INQ28 to me, with such scope for crazy kitbashing and demented characters -- and judging by your models so far, you are right on track ;)

Regarding the coin guild models, those priests have long been a staple for INQ28 conversions, but to use them for guilders is an excellent idea! I just *LOVE* the guy with the AdMech rifle, and I don't really think he needs all that much work. If you want to up the grimdark on these, though, how about giving them huge backpacks made from bigger and smaller chests (for all the money and the invaluable receipts, deeds and promissory notes they are probably lugging around. And maybe a cherub and/or servo-skull here and there, to help them counting and cataloguing? And scribe servitors to serve as ambulatory receipt printers? -- I am merely speaking from a design perspective here, mind you, with zero ideas of the models you actually need for playing.

I also hear what you are saying RE: bitz buying, but I could send you a small care package of Inquisitorial bitz -- just to help you along the way towards the Holy Ordos, y' know? ;)

Keep up the amazing work, buddy! :)

You might be right on that one, Krauty-boy. Also, I hope you didn't take my push-back too harshly - it wasn't intended as such, in any case. I always - always- appreciate your feedback. <3

Anyway, my attention is somewhere else at the moment, namely on slaves! You could say I am a 'slave to my inspiration'. ;) 

Ahem, please excuse the terrible pun there. I'm practicing my dad jokes.
In any case, I'm working on the slaves I showed before. These guys:
3YUCjDp.jpg

I've also I've shown you my Corpse Guilders on page 220, and what I took from that project is that I thoroughly enjoy creating my own servo skulls. I also had the problem that from the two slaves shown above, the guy on the right is completely made up of Flagelant parts. The only thing that makes him appear as a miniature set in the 40K universe is its base, which just wouldn't do as you probably understand. So I gave him a small touchpad hanging from the chains. Maybe it's an identification console that the Slavers had put around his collar?

This gave me the idea that although therse guys are both shackled, they aren't bound to any of the other slavers. So maybe there was something attached to them that would make them stand out - and then it hit me: I'll chain them to servo skulls! 

And seeing as they both have very different characters - the guy on the left appears very docile and although the look on his face shows him being annoyed with his captivity, his walking along calmly shows him having reconciled with his immediate fate of being captured. Not so for the guy on the left. He's quite the opposite of docile, resisting heavily even though he is firmly shackled and even given a gag to shut him up. I decided to let the two servo skulls chained to them shown this discrepancy. 

Enter the Docile slave:
5keRs9A.jpg

2LHgmqK.jpg

Gtwt6Pj.jpg

XOjMnvD.jpg

Clearly, this guy is just walking along and the servo skull has given him some free reign in the chain. This was the first of the two servo skulls I added. It was pretty finicky to create the skull and attach him to the miniature in a way that made it look like he was floating. It's pretty nifty, I think, because the connector tube hanging from the skull is glue-welded to the Slave's back with a dot of super glue and accelerator. :)

Not so for the Resisting Slave
jLMXzy9.jpg

0hUKMv3.jpg

keU2LpS.jpg

48Z23lf.jpg

This has a three-point connection - the two chains - which are actually loose chain stiffened with glue, and the same trick of the connector tube accelerator-glued to his back. I love how this has worked out exactly like I wanted it to: the slave seems to be resisting - as one end of the chain is straight and the other has a slight bend in it, it appears that the slave is jerking to and fro, and the servo skull is barely managing to remain afloat in the air above him. Suffice it to say, his alarm lights are flashing!

Thanks for looking. Let  me know what you think, please. :)

Cheers

Forgot Replies:

@ KrautScientist: I will take your feedback re: the shoulders of the Shakleman into account. THe more I think about what you're saying, the more I think the Shakleman needs to stand out more from the Pit Fighters, and giving him some shoulder pads might be the easiest way to achieve that. 

Regarding the link between the Guilders and INQ28  - that's exactly right! And I'm using them to get into 'character building' over 'unit/army building', which is what I've been doing for the last couple of years. 

Your coin guild suggestions are very welcome, and you made me realize I have two of theose WHFB coin chests lying around somewhere. These will be used somehwere in the coterie, for sure! Thanks buddy!

@ Bjorn Firewalker: Ah, they will probably neever se game time... I haven't the time for games these days, so I'm just building what I think is cool to do. I'm busy with my Death Guard project, but mostly because I have plans to sell them army in the near future. 

The additions to the slaves are actually a brilliant idea! I liked the GSC-based slave before, but the flagellant just seemed so very generic (because, while the flagellants a re an invaluable source of bitz, we have all seen them used all over the place and for virtually anything): The servo-skulls neatly solve that issue, bringing the model firmly into 40k in a rather original way. Plus I think you've come up with a really cool and fluffy idea for the tech those slavers are using to keep the slaves in line! Also, isn't it fun to imagine those servo-skulls ordering the slaves around in creepy monotone: "Move, maggot!" or "Warning. Subjects slower than the required working pace will be subjected to electric stimulation. Please resume work. Electric stimulation to be administered in 3,...2,..." or maybe even in High Gothic?! ;)

Regarding the guilders, let me just interject that there's also a lovely, tiny treasure chest that comes with the (OOP, I believe?!) Bretonnian Men-at-arms. Oh, and that one Death Guard character has an abacus, obviously -- just sayin'...

Keep up the excellent work, buddy! :)

Isn't it fun to imagine those servo-skulls ordering the slaves around in creepy monotone: "Move, maggot!" or "Warning. Subjects slower than the required working pace will be subjected to electric stimulation. Please resume work. Electric stimulation to be administered in 3,...2,..." or maybe even in High Gothic?! :wink:

This. So much this. I was imagining these kinds of scenes all the time while building those servo skulls! :D

Regarding the guilders, let me just interject that there's also a lovely, tiny treasure chest that comes with the (OOP, I believe?!) Bretonnian Men-at-arms. Oh, and that one Death Guard character has an abacus, obviously -- just sayin'...

Yeah those are the ones I mean! I have two of those sprues - gifted to me by an old OLD 40k friend from the '90s that I got in touch with again a couple years back (he also gave me enough pewter sonic blasters to make an entire noise marine army)

Also, regarding your offer of sending me some INQ28 bits - I would LOVE that! :D  

Those two slaves are awesome. But with regards to the restless slave, had you considered maybe having the servo skull float ahead of him, rather than behind? That way, it almost rather looks like he’s being dragged along against his will. That’s just some food for thought.

As for the two coin guilders, KSci’s mention of the death guard abacus is a really good shout. Maybe to make them grimdark, some coin purses or satchels chained to their bodies with large padlocks, giving a sort of implication as to how much these guys are attached to their money//the extreme measures they have to go to in order to prevent said money being stolen in the Necromundan hives? Maybe some kind of weighing scales could be incorporated too, perphaps because they measure out the exact weight of coins to ensure they’re not getting scammed out of anything. And also, maybe those buckets you see a lot of street collectors using, but taken to a more grimdark extreme? Those are all my ideas. I think a lot of grimdarkness could be conveyed in the paint job, perhaps with sheafs of paper with demands for donation//tribute.

The painted slaver models are looking really good too. I love the yellow on them. And as for buying the unmade kit just for that one part, the models in that kit are probably perfect for converting at least some of the necromundan guild characters you’ve got planned ;)

The Slave Guild looks very nice, and the two slaves are full of personality! I think k0narik's idea of perhaps having the servoskull floating ahead of the resisting prisoner would look quite nice, but the mini currently looks great.

Edited by BadgersinHills

Cheers, guys. Relies at the end :thumbsup:

My bits order finally came in, which means I can start working on my Promethean Guild Pyromaecer Lord - this guy on the left from the FW previews: 

Hidden Content

qTeX37o.jpg

Now, I'm not waiting for FW to release these guys, and even if they release them, I think it's cooler and far more fun to make them yourself. So here's what I have in mind for the above guy:

0v3qULv.jpg

ulBxIGn.jpg

Obviously, this is very early stages of the floaty thing, but I think I'm doing well so far. The main component is an upside-down 40mm base with a plasticard cover. Below and above it are the Repulsor component and the stairs bit from the Triumph of St Kathrine kit from the Sisters of Battle range - which btw is such a beautiful, inspired kit. In fact, the entire range is awesome. (I also got me the pilots of the Penitent Engine:

Hidden Content

vIhOQ9s.jpg

They'll prbably be the pilots for a Dark mechanicum Knight in the future. 

The firy bits are from the Chaos Warshrine kit. It's funny; as soon as that kit was released (which was what, eight years ago?) I ordered those bits from Bits&Kits. I never used them. And lo and behold I finally do. Yay my foresight! 

Anyway, I hope you like the start.

In other progress news, I've started painting the two slaves, so be sure to keep your eye out of them before the end of this week. 

I also listened to KrautScientist and gave one of the Coin Guild grovelers a chest to heave around:
NyOyJCU.jpg

wde1SnZ.jpg

zeplfkl.jpg

I am really liking this - it;'s a super simple addition and it adds a TON of character.

I also fixed the elbow of the other Groveler, and added tome tubing to go into the back of his head. But I'm not too sure about those last additions, so let me know what you think.QoQPHrD.jpg

Thanks for looking. Stay safe.

Cheers

Replies:

@ k0nahrik: I see your point, but I see the servo skulls purely as guards. They're there to afix the prisoner to something, give him directions, and make a lot of noise and lights when he tries to escape. In my mind, Servo Skulls just don't have the pulling power to actually drag a prisoner. Instead, the servo skull on the resisting slave is bopping around - the sprisoner makes a big swing forward with the left side of his shackle board, and so the left chain of the servo skull is tensed up. See? 
About your ideas about grimdarkening the coin collectors: excellent! I dont have any kinds of bits that could functions as scales. But you have given me an idea - thanks!

@ BadgersinHills: As I replied to Konahrik, I don;t think servo skulls have the power to drag prisoners around, so no can do on the dragging of the slave! Sorry! I appreciate the suggestion though - keep 'm coming!

@ DuskRaider: Just kidding, you know I love you, don't you? In fact, I'm just jealous of that fantastic looking CHaos Knight army you built and painted in practically no-time. About my Necormunda gangs: I only have two: Escher and Goliath. The Guilders aren't gangs, but more a sort of free temporary addition to your gang for certain skirmishes. :smile.::thumbsup:

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Now, I'm not waiting for FW to release these guys, and even if they release them, I think it's cooler and far more fun to make them yourself. So here's what I have in mind for the above guy:

Hah! That's the spirit! :) The early kitbash is already looking quite promising, too!

Regarding the guilders: Don't finish (and paint) these yet -- I have begun to assemble some small INQ28 bitz for you, and I can include quite a few small chests that you might find super helpful for completing these!

Regarding the changes to the second model, I think you have the right idea, but those cables somehow seem lost -- I'd either have them closer to his actual head or maybe try more cables? Also, crazy idea: How about giving him some kind of weird monocle over one eye, the better to examine coins and determine their worth? In all fairness, such an element would probably work on either of the models.

Keep up the excellent work, buddy! :)

Those guilders are great! That one with the chest is brilliant. I think the chest is too large, especially if it's weighted down with coins, but that actually adds to the model rather than being a negative I think. I wouldn't want to mess with a guy who could lug that around anyway!

The slavers have come out really nicely and the slaves as really cool with the servo skulls.

The credit guild has an excellent start and I like the guy with the chest.

The other one I have to agree the cables aren't quite there yet.

I think it's a question of where are they coming from and why do they go in like a top knot. You may want to look at having them closer to the base of the skull but also something more than just vanishing into the fur around his shoulders.

What could be cool is some sort of scriptorium device on his back. Like an auto scroll that writes out receipts and dockets recording payments made and received.

Add plenty of scrolls to him too.

More work on the Pyromancean Lord's dias:

DoCaT2W.jpg

cqri63d.jpg

8esggTW.jpg

O7t0Bls.jpg

I'm really getting into working with plasticard. Hopefully my GreenStuffWorld order will come in soon so I can do some work on other things. I'm so excited about creating stuff really from just concepts, especially after seeing this guy on YouTube who just uses everyday plastics and some toys to kitbash these ork vehicles. Check out this awesome channel  -he creates an entire gargant!

Anyway, now to figure out how I'm going to actually do the Pyromancean Lord on his dias.... I do have some ideas, though :)

Let me know what you think!

Cheers

Replies:

@ KrautScientist: I will wait for your care package then - I've PM'd you my most recent address. <3 Regarding the guy with the two tubes sticking out - I've removed one cable and just replaced it with a stud. Seemed appropriate. I've also given the guy with the chest a bionic eye. More pics to come, I hadn't the time to do more (the nurgling needed a new diaper). Thanks for the encouragement, btw - you're one of my idols when it comes to these kinds of creations, so you've been a massive inspiration for me. I know you're very much more into blogs than I am, so if you could point me to some other cool blogs with linky's. I'd be gratefull. BTW - did you do a summary of 2019 by the end of december? I must've missed it I think!

@ lanby: Haha that drawing isn't mine - it's conceptual artwork published by Forge World - I'm just using it to base the dias on! 

@ BadgersinHills: Haha the exact opposite of Krauty's idea. I'll just make his head look more 40k, let's leave it at than ;)

@ Tristan2583: It's WAY too large! For sure. Maybe he has a strengthened skeleton?

@ Mechanist: Cheers, buddy! That's all good feedback, whcih I will incoprorate into the mini's. I'm thinking about a tech-y backback maybe from the Skitarii miniature range... would that work you think? Also, that scroll thing idea on his back made me wonder if I could incorporate something like that on his back.... Might work! And don't worry, scrolls are incoming. :D :tu:

I'm loving the work that you've done so far, especially the Slaver Guild.....although the Promethium Lord's. dias has me salivating with anticipation.....I do think it's time you put your talents towards some gangs though :wink: .

As great as GW's 'Munda models are, I agree with you that people's homemade conversions add far more character and individualism which is what 'Munda is all about IMO and yours are no exception. 

Great stuff mate and very inspiring :thumbsup: