++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

How many hours? Hmmm. Excluding thinking about how to best go about building it while driving to and from work, I think about six or seven hours? Casting material removal and casting residue cleanup took about one hour of that time. The rest is actual building, but I just work on it each time I get home for about thirty minutes. First I align the part I want to glue in (using a hairdryer when some bending of the resin is required), then I mix up the glue, apply the glue, stick the two parts together, and make sure they don't move - using either clamps, gravity, tape, or rubber bands. I then leave it to dry for about two hours while I go do something else, then return for another session! :smile.:

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Looking at my Raptor, you totally hit the nail on the head, I think for both kits - attach the sides to the top, ensuring the alignment, and then build it out from there. I'm happy with my build but the poor alignment where the sides meet the top is my one gripe. Excellent work getting it together without losing your mind and doing something you'd regret. ;)

Cheers, gang! The Strom Eagle is almost finished

I completely build the structure, and with some dunking in boiling water finally got all the crooked edges out:

4ggtQzz.jpg

Here's a closeup of the start of the nose iconography. It's made up of the largest skull in the citadel skull kit, obvisouly, which I sawed and sanded down to fit the canopy. I'll be sculpting wings on it soon enough.

DaP9cuH.jpg

The side doors also are made to fit snugly. This is actually the only time I went ''Jesus christ, ForgeWorld, why do you create door openings designed for rhino doors which don't fit rhino doors???'' 

tPAH6U4.jpg

Because look how much I needed to trim those doors (Made-to-fit door on the left, standard door size on the right:

ohvWtrd.jpg

And finally the by-now mandatory adjustments to the landing 'feet' - replacing the Imperial Eagle with the Night Lords symbol. :)

ROy3VOB.jpg

Thanks for looking! Onwards to scupting wings, flesh trophies, and to skull-and-helmet trophy rack insertions!

Also, thanks for commenting - I like likes, but comments keep me going!

Cheers!

@ Ranman8: Funny you should ask! I recently dedicated an entire tutorial to how I do my skulls/helmet trophies. - you must've missed it :) I hope this is of use to you!

@ Subtle Discord:Cheers, buddy! Yeah it's funny how FW messes up their own build order - the structural strong points in a vehicle kit is where you start, but they, in their instructions, start at the flimsiest point! I bet you with your insight have an even keener eye on this. :tu:

Dude, you are machine! I think I spent seven hours researching how to build the thing and crying.

@ranman8, he used 1mm thick nails. In the US I think that's like a #20 nail. I bought some #18 nails at the home depot and they are close but a hair thicker than 1mm. On post #3913 he posted that with a tutorial on how he makes his trophies.

Dude, you are machine! I think I spent seven hours researching how to build the thing and crying.

@ranman8, he used 1mm thick nails. In the US I think that's like a #20 nail. I bought some #18 nails at the home depot and they are close but a hair thicker than 1mm. On post #3913 he posted that with a tutorial on how he makes his trophies.

lol thanks buddy! I told that to ranman8 in my replies, but better too much than too little :wink:

No need to cry! I seriously think that if you could pick one thing that makes a world of difference in building the Storm Eagle (or any complex resin kit), it would be to not/never  use super glue, but a slow drying, thick two epoxy glue like UHU Schnellfest instead.

Superglue:

• is difficult to apply as it's runny (even the thicker variants);
  • dries super fast, so there's less handling time; and
  • dries rock solid - allowing no more movement of the join.

On the other hand, two-component epoxy glues

• have a goopy consistency, so you can apply it very precisely with a tooth pick or the like;
  • dry very slowly, allowing for a long handling time; and 
  • dry into a semi-flexible state, allowing for post-glue warmth adjustments.

Seriously, I almost never use superglue. I can dunk the entire thing in boiling water right now, and still make adjustments. If I'd have used super glue, those joins would have cracked for sure).  It's either two-component epoxy or plastic glue for me! :thumbsup:

Now, with the benefit of hindsight, I find the Storm Eagle to definitively be a challenging kit. But it's absolutely not the nightmare people make it out to be. To be a bit facetious:

Hidden Content

@ Honda: Bless you! Wait, what's wrong with the storm eagle?

O5vj6wE.gif

Who has the last laugh now, huh? :tongue.:

http://imagesvh1-a.akamaihd.net/uri/mgid:file:http:shared:vh1.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/giphy-1-1499362155.gif

@ Subtle Discord:Cheers, buddy! Yeah it's funny how FW messes up their own build order - the structural strong points in a vehicle kit is where you start, but they, in their instructions, start at the flimsiest point! I bet you with your insight have an even keener eye on this. :thumbsup:

Oh please, I'll never say I'm not (usually) confident in how I execute things, but I'm not some highly enlightened guru, I just have a few more mistakes learning experiences under my belt than many builders. I gave you feedback because I didn't think of it until you mentioned it.

Your opinion about two-part epoxy is also spot on for all the reasons you're putting forward. I came to the same conclusions a while back but it's the insight that others have also reached the same conclusion that really reinforces that it does make as much sense as I think it does. For me, I was considering the kits I want to produce and how many times they mate to styrene models in a very precise way; work time, where adjustments can be made, is essential to attaching the parts to the model accurately and quick setting epoxy provides that while still curing in a reasonable amount of time. I'll be advising my customers to use epoxy with several of my kits and this has transitioned to my personal projects as a result. Super glue still has its place, but the properties of epoxy are very useful and practical when used where it makes sense.

Thanks Augustus you're absolutely right. I may have a few ideas left about how to work the chaos kit, I still favour it as the best plastic infantry kit in the history of plastic kits. I also have a full on 95' era vanilla army which i'll probably start posting soon. 

Congrats on the storm eagle it looks fantastic.

My own personal revelation with epoxy glue came when I had to convert tiny little minis like dark eldar arms etc. If a joint is too small to pin I will always use epoxy glue, because it allows you to twist and turn and rework the joint unlike super glue whichs sticks fast. For all the reasons you mentioned i basically use it for everything except space marines, which I always pin anyway.

Thanks again, great reading!

Cheers, guys :)

@ guardian31: Thanks, buddy! First, I still gotta finish painting the Spartan, though!

@ Subtle Discord: Fair nough, but I still think you have an edge when it comes to having what I can only imagine is an innate sense of structural strength, stemming from your design work. :tu: About the glue: I'm glad you'll start giving your customers that advice! FW should do the same, actually.

@ Hungry Nostraman Lizard: It's part of the same commission as the Fire Raptor and Land Raiders. :)

@ BrotherJim: You're kidding right? The CSM kit the best kit out there? It was lower quality than the second Space Marine Tactical Squad when it came out, and that was what? - 12 years ago? It hasn't been updated since! Glad you liked the glue post though :)

Long time lurker and follower of this thread but since I've made an account I have to say that I don't think you've made a model that I haven't liked the look of. The storm eagle looks great and I'm still amazed that you are capable of churning out models at this astounding pace whilst still retaining such a great level of quality.

Done with the Storm Eagle build, including Night Lords symbols, skulls and trophies:

VEYg78e.jpg

7XvUlvz.jpg

OUsqvxN.jpg

Nuoqpxd.jpg

AhhiXui.jpg

Done! Hurray!

Replies:

@ BubblesMcGub: Yeah I figured them being Chaos Night Lords, their iconography would have suffered some mutations from all that warp-infested raiding. :wink:

@ Hydra Dominatus: Thank you so much! THat's a very cool thing to read. I'm glad you liked so much of my work!

@ Inquisitor Engel:

I may have to give that two part epoxy a shot in the future. There are a few big tanks from FW I want to buy and super glue loves to run wild on those resin kits.

The storm eagle also looks rad, so my hats off to you for the speedy and awesome build. My favorite detail is the mk8 torso. Definitely a nice addition among the skulls and helms.

I lied! I didn't completely finish the build as I had an idea today when I got home and immediately set to work making it happen. 

you see, I had the Night Lords symbol of the original Legion Night Lords Rhino front door to spare, and didn't have any plans for it on the Spartan. So I set to work on cutting off the wings and sawing two plastic human skulls from the citadel skulls set in twine, and glue them on the Storm Launchers of the Eagle. Hey presto:

vuDL4xe.jpg

And now it is done. Here's some shots of the entire finished vehicle with landing gear withdrawn, but not on its flight stem:

ryZGoGS.jpg

qNKqPjV.jpg

rCPNFcN.jpg

Funny thing is, now that I finished its build, I realize I really like this plane. Even more so than I like the Fire Raptor, even. I'm sooo looking forward to painting it.

But I have to earn that treat. First, I gotta finish the Spartan's paint job. Been procrastinating on that one.

Thanks for looking and commenting, team!

Cheers! 

Replies:

@ hushrong: You should totally try it. It's as much a game changer in the world of resin kit building as an airbrush is in the world of miniature painting. Also, glad you spotted the torso! I figured some Night Lord sew an officer, couldn't salvage the breast plate due to damage but still wanted to show off his prize ;)

@ Ranker: Glad you like it so much!

@ guardian31: Cheers, buddy! The Spartan isn't coming along. I painted the tracks and gave it its first coat of WMA Insigna Blue, and then got side tracked by the Storm Eagle. Now that that thing is build, I really will commit to painting the Spartan :tu:

Really nice looking beauty right there !

When we arrived to the full beast with all the trophy stuff so masterly added and all go along so nicely..

Perapse my favorite part.. but enaugh said budy.. Now paint this ! :p

Cheers, guys :smile.:

I finally started actually painting the Spartan. Base colours laid down for now.

TgHTl5T.jpg

3r4YSZ5.jpg

IQhCZLz.jpg

Hopefully I'll be able to finish it by the end of Friday.

Thanks for looking and commenting!

Replies:

@ The Traitor: Thank you! The Fire Raptor might be sleeker, but the Storm Eagle is more brutal, methinks! :D

@ BubblesMcGub: Augustus b'Raass: making custom Night Lords symbols since 2013 ;) Thanks buddy!

@ malcharion: Cheers, Malchy! And congrats on your feature in the Eternal Hun awards :D