++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

Excellent work all around, mate! Although, as I've told you elsewhere, it's hard for me to get excited over boxy Astartes vehicles, so I am really looking forward to seeing some new infantry from you -- World Eaters or Death Guard, anything will do ;)

That being said, I really admire the way you've managed to turn that warped nightmare into a functional vehicle, and the accessorising and detail work on the various tanks and fliers? That I can really get behind. Except maybe for that giant alien skull NL emblem -- it's great fun, but also maybe a little too Masters of the Universe for my taste ;)

Anyway, really looking forward to seeing more excellent work from you this year, buddy! :)

Love the extra additions to the storm eagle. As for the epoxy I will try to see if some local shops have it. I have a leviathan waiting assembly and I know its not as big as a tank but it's still a hunk of resin. As for the armor-plate trophy, it makes me think of a line from Talos in Soul Hunter.

Also, the blue on that Spartan. Seeing paint jobs like that wish I had skill with an air brush (or at least some skill with a regular brush for that matter). Always looking forward to seeing more work on that beast. Especially since I want to see what legions/chapter colors those helms had so I know what poor suckers stood in the VIII's path.

Hey guys, I'd like to share some thoughts I penned down via PM in a convo with KrautScientist here too. they involve a deepening of my thoughts about why I sold my two biggest armies and why I had to step away from the hobby for a while. 

Part of the reason I was away for about four months was of course was to engage in courtship with my GF. But I also thought long and hard about my hobby and its role in my life and the influence it had on myself, as well as about the way the changes to the game and fluff affected that. I came to the conclusion that my hobby had gotten a bit out of hand - it was taking too much of my time, my thoughts, my life - time I could also use learning new skills, meeting new people, developing myself. I knew that I had to do something drastic, and that turned out to be sell a large part of my collection, my Night Lords and my Imperial Fists. I've already told some of this in a previous post in my thread, but now that some time has passed, I've gained a deeper understanding of my reasons, as well as how it affected me. Many people (including myself in my profile text!) say to never sell an army. But in my recent experience, selling the army was quite cathartic. Let me explain those, here.

I long had had ideas about selling a portion of my Night Lords, but the more I thought about it, the more selling all my Night Lords stuff made sense to me. Like my Word Bearers before, they all had different paint styles, that had developed as I was collecting and painting the army. The collection thus looked mashed together visually. In addition, there wasn't any sense to the collection from a crunch point of view - it just reflected my collecting all CSM units and converting and painting them in Night Lords colours. They didn't 'feel' right, didn't feel like the Night Lords. (That last point is actually the same as Brother Heinrich's reason for selling his Night Lords.) So I decided to sell all of them - which felt great, actually. I had lost all connection with that army, was even somewhat annoyed by it at times, and so I have zero regrets. My shelves are empty, which saves me what had become an annoying sight an army without thought. I understand that it was an impressive army, that almost all the miniatures looked good to great individually, but for me, personally, it wasn't working anymore. In that respect, having sold the army to about eight different people was a plus: other people are happy with the different miniatures, and the breaking up of the collection allowed the differences between the different parts I sold to not stand out as much. I'm just glad others are happy with them, now :)  

The selling of my Imperial Fists is a slightly different, and more convoluted story, though. I had build my Imperial Fists purely for gaming purposes - I could use each and every unit, and had built and planned all units so that they fit in the most competitive 7th edition Imperial Fists special rules, formations, and the lists I had build around those - while at the same time this collection fulfilled an almost life-long wish to make a codex compliant space marine army with full regalia and markings. The funny thing is that I had come to feel a sense of completion of the army around the same time that 8th was announced. I was just adding for laughs - beginning a ten-man librarius conclave, for example. Basically I felt that I had done it: create the army of my dreams. And with that sense of completion, I was starting to loose interest in them. For the first time in years, I was starting projects that I couldn't find the will or motivation to complete.  I was just adding miniatures I liked to paint, while some projects I had in minds for competitive play were put on hiatus, as I wasn't sure I could actually  field them - 8th was around the corner - like the Imperial Fists command squad on bikes (which your biker libby was to be a part of), or a terminator squad with shields and hammers in a Caestus ram. That didn't bother me, actually: I felt like I had done it, and proved to myself that I could do it - and do it again, if I wanted to.

And then 8th actually hit the shelves. Suddenly, almost the entire collection didn't make sense to me anymore! The meta had completely shifted - the entire way the game worked had changed! I realized learning the game to the same competitive level I had reached about a year ago would take far too much time  -time I didn't have anymore what with a new job and a woman in my life. Plus, cven as a casual gamer, I want to be good and wield good lists. That meant -for my Imperial Fists army- getting into the Primaris Marines miniature line, which I hate both from a visual standpoint and even more so fluff-wise.

To sum up, I had three reasons to make the decision to sell my Fists:
- I had completed my wish to create a 'perfect' space marine collection

- 8th made the standing collection non-sensical from a crunch POV

- to make them competitive I had to add units that I didn't like the look of

And the funny thing as, moments after I had made the decision to sell them, I mentioned it to the buyer who had bought the largest chunk of Night Lords. He asked me what was in the collection and how much I wanted for it, I made the list and decided on the price, and he quickly agreed. It was literally a matter of one or two days between the decision to sell and the actual sale! 

There was only one issue: I never did do 'perfect' Night Lords. So when two buyers of my Night Lords asked me to do some vehicles, I used those two commissions as a way to prove to myself that I could make the perfect Night Lords as well! And now that I had freed myself of those two armies, I had the physical and mental space again to create something new, and to see the hobby as it should be: as something to enjoy in my spare time. I have really come to appreciate the hobby again - as an outlet of creativity. I'm dying to start working on my Death Guard, which I see as a reward for finishing the commissions. 

Thanks for reading. TLDR: selling your collection can also be cathartic, and opens up funds, space, and energy for new projects!

Replies!

@ Mitsman: Thank you! Blue is beuatiful!

@ Bjorn Firewalker: Cheers, buddy!

@ guardian31: I'l prolly do them tomorrow!

@ Hydra Dominatus: haha thanks for the vote of confidence! The Storm Eagle is a proejct I look forward to as well. Painting that thing will be a lot easier than the Fire Raptor!

@ DuskRaider: Haha really? It's so funny how different folks have different challenges. I still find red to be the most difficult  colour. The dirty white you're using for your brilliant, fantastic, awesome [insert other hyperboles] Death Guard also looks very challenging to me. y contrast, blue is easy to me! :)

@ Mechanist: Isn't it? Lol

@ KrautScientist: Krauty returns! Thanks for commenting again, buddy! Ié missed you here - although I understand and respect your lack of enthusiasm for the Metal Bawkses. About World Eaters: I have a plan to convert Red Butchers into normal terminators with combi weapons. Stay tuned for those! Also, I literally LOL'd about your Masters of the Universe comment! haha :D 

@ hushrong: You can order that epoxy online, at many arts and crafts stores, as well as online DIY stores. Any Chapter suggestions for the helmet trophies?

Great read Aug ... I totally agree that selling an army can be he best thing. I sold my Black templars on ebay and one buyer kept winning close to where i work. So i mailed him privately and gave him a list and pics of what i had left. He offered a fair price and i accepted. It was an army i built way back in 2005 and it wasnt my best work. But the buyer was extactic to recive them and it felt good to let go of something that was just stored away

Congratulations on you, your life and moving on. I cannot speak from experience what it would be like to sell and cleanse what must have been a large part of your life. I wish you all the best for whatever comes.

Cheers, guys! Don't worry, I haven't left the hobby! Far from it :)

But I have to say painting a Spartan is a drag! Base colours done. Now one bit Agraz Earthshade wash, highlights, the trophies, and some weathering, and I'll be done!

D2rss1t.jpg

Dh3KzjV.jpg

4i0lc1d.jpg

Hey Augustus,

Sorry to hear you had to sell all these models, espacially the IFs which I liked so much. I am of the side that supports keeping the models always and stashing them in a box, but I can fully understand your motives. At least the way you paint allows you to produce full armies quicker than me so Ι suppose selling them works better for you in this case.

Having found you girlfriend and wanting to spend more time with her is HERESY! the most natural thing in the world so happy to hear that. I am a father of a nine year old girl and my free time is always spent towards trying to help her with studying, after school activities and playing with her so painting and warhammer time in general is at a premium. I also have other hobbies that I like so time has to be shared among them too which means taking breaks from warhammer from time to time.

As you see I am a fan of your work and it seems you are doing fine with your new "schedule", BUT paint some loyalists you Heretic scum! :teehee::biggrin.::whistling:

PS. That spartan blue is gorgeous. One small objection on modelling. You can remove those ugly leather thingies and grotesque heads whike changing that bat thing/mark/whatever to something more pleasing to the eye like a capital U but more ornate. All in all your Ultramarines Spartan is fantastic!

Mitsman

Edited by Mitsman

Passion demands focus, or it gets out of hand very easily. You need to be realistic about what you can actually take on. It's a large reason why I force myself to focus and concentrate on a select number of projects. I would love to dabble in so many other places, but that would be... bad... very bad. Balance is a good thing.

Lots of head nods and chin up gestures from reading your earlier post. And agreeing with Subtle Discord on how balance is important I want to make a Star Wars joke. However I don’t have a good one and don’t want to force it. *I’ll get my stuff and excuse myself from this thread in a minute...

As for trophies...oh man, maybe Novamarine or Howling Griffin. Split paint jobs would be cool.

And looking forward to seeing the spartan done. Will that mean the Storm Eagle is next? I also do not think I mentioned it but hats off to you on building that kit flawlessly.

Edited by hushrong

Lovely work on the Spartan! :tu:

I’ve never sold any of my armies (except when I left the hobby as a teen...only to return in my 30s. My parents sold all my armies off then :D) but I understand your reasons.

I actually took about a year break around the birth of my son.

@ DuskRaider: Haha really? It's so funny how different folks have different challenges. I still find red to be the most difficult  colour. The dirty white you're using for your brilliant, fantastic, awesome [insert other hyperboles] Death Guard also looks very challenging to me. y contrast, blue is easy to me! :smile.:

Thank you very much, I really appreciate the compliments. Especially coming from someone of your skill, frater. 

Everyone feels hobby burn out... at least I think they do. I know that I do. I've sold off most of my armies at one point or another as well and I still eventually find myself back into the hobby. You seem to have successfully figured out that this is simply an escape from real life occasionally and not let it consume you, which is more than I can say for many in various gaming hobbies (video games in particular). Take it slow and just enjoy what you're doing.

Even after purchasing both armies, I continue to find joy in having obtained AR's armies just through the stories associated with them.  Can I find better painters than you? Yeah, I've worked with some golden daemon winning artists before.  Can I find someone that does better conversions? I haven't worked with one as good as you yet, but I've seen some impressive stuff on these forums.  Now, can I find someone who can paint, convert, who shares his passion with others, and makes me smile whenever I see any of his work? Now, that's truly rare.   

One of the reasons for having made that impulse buy for the the IF army was having thoroughly enjoyed reading through all the posts about your creation and wanting to preserve it. These humanizing posts give your army a soul; making it that much more enjoyable whenever I walk past it and admire its beauty. 

Hey guys, I'd like to share some thoughts I penned down via PM in a convo with KrautScientist here too. they involve a deepening of my thoughts about why I sold my two biggest armies and why I had to step away from the hobby for a while. 

Part of the reason I was away for about four months was of course was to engage in courtship with my GF. But I also thought long and hard about my hobby and its role in my life and the influence it had on myself, as well as about the way the changes to the game and fluff affected that. I came to the conclusion that my hobby had gotten a bit out of hand - it was taking too much of my time, my thoughts, my life - time I could also use learning new skills, meeting new people, developing myself. I knew that I had to do something drastic, and that turned out to be sell a large part of my collection, my Night Lords and my Imperial Fists. I've already told some of this in a previous post in my thread, but now that some time has passed, I've gained a deeper understanding of my reasons, as well as how it affected me. Many people (including myself in my profile text!) say to never sell an army. But in my recent experience, selling the army was quite cathartic. Let me explain those, here.

I long had had ideas about selling a portion of my Night Lords, but the more I thought about it, the more selling all my Night Lords stuff made sense to me. Like my Word Bearers before, they all had different paint styles, that had developed as I was collecting and painting the army. The collection thus looked mashed together visually. In addition, there wasn't any sense to the collection from a crunch point of view - it just reflected my collecting all CSM units and converting and painting them in Night Lords colours. They didn't 'feel' right, didn't feel like the Night Lords. (That last point is actually the same as Brother Heinrich's reason for selling his Night Lords.) So I decided to sell all of them - which felt great, actually. I had lost all connection with that army, was even somewhat annoyed by it at times, and so I have zero regrets. My shelves are empty, which saves me what had become an annoying sight an army without thought. I understand that it was an impressive army, that almost all the miniatures looked good to great individually, but for me, personally, it wasn't working anymore. In that respect, having sold the army to about eight different people was a plus: other people are happy with the different miniatures, and the breaking up of the collection allowed the differences between the different parts I sold to not stand out as much. I'm just glad others are happy with them, now :smile.:  

The selling of my Imperial Fists is a slightly different, and more convoluted story, though. I had build my Imperial Fists purely for gaming purposes - I could use each and every unit, and had built and planned all units so that they fit in the most competitive 7th edition Imperial Fists special rules, formations, and the lists I had build around those - while at the same time this collection fulfilled an almost life-long wish to make a codex compliant space marine army with full regalia and markings. The funny thing is that I had come to feel a sense of completion of the army around the same time that 8th was announced. I was just adding for laughs - beginning a ten-man librarius conclave, for example. Basically I felt that I had done it: create the army of my dreams. And with that sense of completion, I was starting to loose interest in them. For the first time in years, I was starting projects that I couldn't find the will or motivation to complete.  I was just adding miniatures I liked to paint, while some projects I had in minds for competitive play were put on hiatus, as I wasn't sure I could actually  field them - 8th was around the corner - like the Imperial Fists command squad on bikes (which your biker libby was to be a part of), or a terminator squad with shields and hammers in a Caestus ram. That didn't bother me, actually: I felt like I had done it, and proved to myself that I could do it - and do it again, if I wanted to.

And then 8th actually hit the shelves. Suddenly, almost the entire collection didn't make sense to me anymore! The meta had completely shifted - the entire way the game worked had changed! I realized learning the game to the same competitive level I had reached about a year ago would take far too much time  -time I didn't have anymore what with a new job and a woman in my life. Plus, cven as a casual gamer, I want to be good and wield good lists. That meant -for my Imperial Fists army- getting into the Primaris Marines miniature line, which I hate both from a visual standpoint and even more so fluff-wise.

To sum up, I had three reasons to make the decision to sell my Fists:
- I had completed my wish to create a 'perfect' space marine collection

- 8th made the standing collection non-sensical from a crunch POV

- to make them competitive I had to add units that I didn't like the look of

And the funny thing as, moments after I had made the decision to sell them, I mentioned it to the buyer who had bought the largest chunk of Night Lords. He asked me what was in the collection and how much I wanted for it, I made the list and decided on the price, and he quickly agreed. It was literally a matter of one or two days between the decision to sell and the actual sale! 

There was only one issue: I never did do 'perfect' Night Lords. So when two buyers of my Night Lords asked me to do some vehicles, I used those two commissions as a way to prove to myself that I could make the perfect Night Lords as well! And now that I had freed myself of those two armies, I had the physical and mental space again to create something new, and to see the hobby as it should be: as something to enjoy in my spare time. I have really come to appreciate the hobby again - as an outlet of creativity. I'm dying to start working on my Death Guard, which I see as a reward for finishing the commissions. 

Thanks for reading. TLDR: selling your collection can also be cathartic, and opens up funds, space, and energy for new projects!

It was very interesting to read your thoughts regarding selling your armies. Loving the Spartan so far, definitely can't wait to see it completed. Also looking forward to seeing you work on Death Guard, especially that daemon prince from a few months back.

Thanks for sharing the process for your hobby catarsis with us Aug' that's really interesting and while I've always stated that I would never sell an army I start to give the same look as you did on my own night lords.. Getting old, not liking the way they work in 8th edition plus being my first full peinted army the technique I used backthen look so mutch off in comparaison with my sharks or raven guard.. Your post make me think a lot to sell all of it and start on something new.. I guess I'll have to put more thought on it ^^"

Malchy

Wow, thank you all for the warm response to my post about my hobby developments. I really appreciate all of them. Thank you so much, truly. This hobby forum is such a welcoming place. It warms my cold, dead heart. :) 

I'll reply to each and every one of the comments below. But first, to business. I've finished the Spartan!

I6sOCxL.jpg

hybup7m.jpg

hEIGqU6.jpg

4B0T2C1.jpg

n8jlZgr.jpg

1nMt5zB.jpg

wreO6Px.jpg

HKPaZcl.jpg

RfSyIIM.jpg

ErXgJN5.jpg

I hope you like! Comments and feedback most welcome!

Replies!

@ Bjorn Firewalker: Thank you, buddy! I hope you like the finished product as much!

@ Mitsman: Thank you for your thoughts, buddy! Family always must come first. The hobby is just a way to express excess creativity. I'm glad to hear your nine year old girl has such a loving (and creative) father! I'll surely paint some loyalists again but my current attention must go to the last two commissioned Night Lords vehicles. After that, it's Death Guard for sure. The maybe I'll have some time to do more Imperial Fists. Forget about the smurfs, though. ;)

@ Subtle Discord: Yeah I can totally get behind your thoughts and process. I feel like sometimes you and I are kindred spirits, in that we both like to think stuff through until we're satisfied with a design we have in our heads, then have a spurt of creativity and productivity and create it. The weird thing is in that in all other respects in life, I'm super chaotic. My mind just focuses when I'm hobbying for some reason.

@ hushrong: ABout that Star Wars pun. Get out. Now. :p ;) :D The Storm Eagle will be next - and it will feature a squared breast plate!

@ Kierdale: When I'll have a son (or daughter) I'll probably do the same thing. Thanks for the compliment on the Spartan - how do you like it finished?

@ DuskRaider: Thanks, mate. That was kind of you to say. In the meantime, I'll enjoy your awesome stuff and be inspired. I meant what I wrote and stand by it!

@ Ranker: THANK YOU! Really, you don't even know what those words mean to me. I am SO GLAD my army went to you, to someone who truly appreciates it, and tells me so. i couldn't have been happier than to have my armies be owned by anyone other than someone like you. Thanks! I'm wondering if you already unpacked the Imperial Fists and looked at the miniatures - figuring out which one belongs to which squad, and matching them to the guys described in this thread. :D

@ Vairocanum: You're right! That daemon prince does need work! I'll get to him, I swear!

@ malcharion: Well I'm glad to read your words and learn the effect my thoughts had on yours re: selling your night lords. Only do so if you're sure to want to part with them, though! :tu:

Your wish is my command (this time), The Traitor: 

6KbGEsK.jpg 

Although this is the only time ever that these three will sit beside each other, as that particular Spartan is not made for the same client as the Land Raiders.

And BublesMcGub, yes! The Storm Eagle is next. But after that, I'll do one last Spartan, and then I'll be finished with the commissions. Then it's on to Death Guard!!!! WOoooooo