++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

as always Aug I am amazed/jealous at how you pump stuff out so quickly with such high quality ;P 

Hold up, I haven't painted anything in a week! The Ork Bommer was painted back in May, I think. Those Bloodletters have only just received a basecoat of Khorne Red. 

Hurray, I finally finished the Bloodletters. Here's some pictures. I decided to use 32mm bases for them, which leads to a hell of a lot more stability for these miniature. They're quite wonky on 25mm bases!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/World%20Eaters/temporary_zpsx9fys805.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/World%20Eaters/temporary_zps0s8gskmx.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/World%20Eaters/temporary_zpsdor9j5vq.jpg

For some reason the eyes show up orange, while in reality they are light blue. Weird. 

Also, I finally started work on my August  Arena Event challenge: creating a Nurgle Daemon Prince.... It sucks that the left metal BT wing is damaged. I aither have to find a workaround, or abolish the idea completely...

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Death%20Guard/temporary_zpsiw7axpv7.jpg

Lemme know what you think!

Reply:

@ Eldrick Shadowblade: Yeah you like everyone else seem to have problems with Photobucket - with the eird warning showing up instead of your pictures. If you pay them their $3/month and apply an add-blocker, it runs quite smoothly...

Those Bloodletters are gorgeous, buddy!

Regarding the Bloodthirster wings, I have some plastic Manticore wings I could send over as a replacement. Or you could go for insectile wings, like the ones on those Nurglite daemon flies. Or maybe an altogether more biomechanical setup, like a corrupted jump pack?! Somehow seems more fitting for a Nurgle DP anyhow.

-snip-

Also, I finally started work on my August  Arena Event challenge: creating a Nurgle Daemon Prince.... It sucks that the left metal BT wing is damaged. I aither have to find a workaround, or abolish the idea completely...

-snip-

I know I mentioned it in the auggie's arena thread, but I wanted to reiterate using oyumaru to clone this piece to replace the missing claws. Ideally, you would use another copy of the bit to clone from, but I think the claws are similar enough you could get away with copying one of the other ones a few times.

Have you used it before? (I recently used it for the first time, and it was a magical experience for working with old models. My metal talos was missing some spines that I was able to quickly copy up.)

Maybe you can work on the damage by adding more. A couple of big holes, a fair amount of small ones; in both wings. You need to file the membrane where the claws are missing so it touches the end of the finger's remains; this area would gladly enjoy some heavy drilling to show where the battle damage/corruption is greater. Alternatively you could add -heavily rusted- swords where the claws used to be, and cover the jointed parts with GS to make fleshy growths over the wings covering the implanted metal parts.

Or just scrap the wings, get some feathered ones and paint them very decayed.

Edited by Brother Aiwass

Thanks, guys, for all the comments, feedback and the ideas!

I'm now actually contemplating whether or not I want to build him a deceased, corrupted Jump Pack. Not using the Blight Drone rotors, mind you - because they don't look too good, but using exhausts from either the storm talon or some such machine. But corrupted. And gross.

@ Chandrian: Sound like a plan and if the jump pack idea falls through because of lack of time, I will go for it!

@ KrautScientist: Thanks! Manticore wings sound fricking AMAZING! Trade ya? Not sure where to get or how to construct insectile wings, but that's not the look I was going for, I think. But the biomechanical jump pack sounds like a fricking aazing idea!

@ Sagentus: Yeah, that's a good fall-back plan when the biomech idea fails. 

@ ElDuderino: That's mighty generous of you buddy! I however already have a set of Dragon Wings to spare (gifted to me from another frater two years ago) and I also already have a DP with those wings, so that'd be a bit superfluous. But a BIG thanks for the offer!

@ Teetengee: I do have it and I will use it as a fallback plan, for sure! Thanks for the suggestion!

@ Brother Aiwass: You'd like some angelic-like wings to make this daemon seem more benevolent, wouldn't you, Aiwass? Behold! it is revealed by Aiwass [...], the secrets of truth that are like unto a star and a snake and a sword! ;) I'll take that in mind when I work on the wings a bit more :)

@ Nemac Vradon: 'heir wars' = 'forward', right? :) Autocorrectfail FTW. :tu: I'll do my best. :D

Awesome work Augustus - very nice to see your Orks as well - the jet is one of my all-time favorite kits and your rendition is great! 

I like the gradient on the Bloodletters' horns and the banner is A+ stuff.

As far as the Prince, as others have said, I'm not sure there's really a wrong answer here. I'm not sure the talons on the ends of the wings really scream Nurgle anyway, so you could take them off on the other wing to balance things without much of an impact.

One other option would be the bombs from the Dakkajet might be a good basis for a extra large, steampunk-esque jump pack, although it looks like they're all used already. 

If you're running this Prince as a Heretic Astartes Prince with psychic powers, you may not need wings anyway, since Warptime lets you cover twice as much ground.

Alright prepwork for the Nurgle Daemon Prince has begun. I did some rummaging around various bits boxes to see what I had to make this DP something very special. I'm up against some stiff competition, that's for sure. What's worse, I seem to be on a losing streak with finding stuff that's supposed to be very obvious. I have somehow misplaced a finished librarian after the photoshoot with Kraut two weeks ago, plus, and more importantly: I cannot for the life of me find the giant skaven Plague Censer that I want to use as a weapon. I'm very inspired by this picture:

Hidden Content
http://i.imgur.com/kVQKUPA.jpg

In any case, Kraut gave me the idea to make a kind of kump pack - so I started on that idea. Here's a very rough mock-up of what I'm aiming at.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Death%20Guard/WP_20170707_002_zpscqa5hxmp.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Death%20Guard/WP_20170707_003_zpshkmxojiq.jpg

He'll have stormtalon engine exhausts, and all gaps will be filled to make it look biomechanical - with tons of tentacles, mushrooms and the like. I don't know, we'll see. This is completely uncharted territory for me, but the aim of this competition is to push my skills. So here we go!

Lemme know what you think - and more importantly if you have any ideas or advice - I'm ging to need it!

Cheers, and have a great weekend, everyone. :thumbsup:

Replies:

@ Brother Aiwass: 93?? Dude, that's just the theory - the practice shows it should be 418. Get with the program! Or not. I say :censored: it, and pray to Nergal!

@ rednekkboss: Cheers, buddy! It's a simple sponging of 1:1 Rinox Hide and BFTBG, and then a pure BFTBG. Simple, easy, fast :smile.:

@ Sgt. Black: That Warptime point is an intersting one.... Damn. However I'm already in this, so there's no going back!

@ Eldrick Shadowblade: Yeah, it's very simple - I realize there's not even a symbol!

@ misterkho: It's a simple sponging of 1:1 Rinox Hide and BFTBG, and then a pure BFTBG. Simple, really, but come over and I'll show you :smile.:

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Hmm, that's actually a very promising mockup, and since it's Nurgle, you can always use lots of lumpy GS to fill any gaps and make it look good ;)

I'd argue you could even get away with smaller turbines - from the drop pod or even the Raptor backpacks, maybe (?!) - which would also allow you to actually properly assemble those Forgefiend guns without having to do any gap filling. And what about actually having three turbines that form the mark of Nurgle? Just a thought...

Alright prepwork for the Nurgle Daemon Prince has begun. I did some rummaging around various bits boxes to see what I had to make this DP something very special. I'm up against some stiff competition, that's for sure. In any case, Kraut gave me the idea to make a kind of jump pack - so I started on that idea. Here's a very rough mock-up of what I'm aiming at.

He'll have stormtalon engine exhausts, and all gaps will be filled to make it look biomechanical - with tons of tentacles, mushrooms and the like. I don't know, we'll see. This is completely uncharted territory for me, but the aim of this competition is to push my skills. So here we go!

Lemme know what you think - and more importantly if you have any ideas or advice - I'm ging to need it!

Looks promising so far but I think the turbines might need to be further back so they don't impede the placement of his arms. I'm glad to see we're both pushing ourselves on this one and I'm sure you'll whip something amazing with this guy.

I'm a bit frustrated - because I'm stuck!

I cannot find the skaven giant censer that I was hoping to use as his CC weapon, and I'm still waiting for the storm talon exhaust bits I ordered from eBay. You see - I am pretty much set on making a custom giant Jump Pack for the Nurgle Daemon Prince, but time is now really starting to be my enemy. Without those two sets of bits, I actually cannot continue working on him!

Considering this dude is going to be way more involved than the custom Bloodthirster I did before, and that thing took me about two weeks, I'm starting to get a little worried! Also, BCK's custom Bloothirster is looking schmexy as all hell, as is starting to shape up - he's making really good progress!

So at this point, I'm starting to panic a bit. Have I made the right choice? Shouldn't he have wings (but that's be too easy, plus I'll have to wait for good wings anyway, as I've pretty much decided against the metal BT wings. Not because they're broken, but because I don't like 'm for the Nurgle DP). Should I perhaps start a different Daemon Prince?

I still have these bits lying around (for ages now, after a spur of the moment midnight eBay bits buy) which I could, together with my plastic Roboute Guilliman, make into a Slaaneshi DP....

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Death%20Guard/temporary_zpsyapcpbp9.jpg 

Thoughts? Should I switch projects, or wait for the bits?

@ KrautScientist: Yeah I'm pretty confident I can make it work. I'll probably learn some new stuff from it and since it's Nurgle it can be pretty forgiving vis-à-vis mistakes. Raptor backpacks are far too small. But perhaps the new Primaris jump packs are a source? Inspiration just struck. Thanks!

@ BCK: Thanks for the vote of confidence, and yeah, they will be put on sprouts, I guess. I still have the metal backpack exhausts from the other (now finecast) DP model, which I will probably use for those. 

@ Vairocanum: Cheers buddy! I'm stuck for now, but this will be done, eventually!

Well... if you have nothing better to do/hit a block, I say go for it. Keep the ball rolling, so to speak. If I may - I'd like to make a suggestion. That body looks great but I think you could lose those body-claw-spikes-legs-Ijustdon'tknow. I think it would look less 'nid-like without those. :)