++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

Fantastic work, mate! Even better with the sculpting! This will be sooo cool when it's finished!

Teetengee does have a point, though: Maybe you should go for a mix of "plugged" and "unplugged" cables/dreadlocks. I remember a part from Betrayer where Angron's Butcher's Nails are described as looking like a crest of metallic dreadlocks, with some plugged into his armour's power conduit, while others have torn free and are dangling from his head -- maybe it would be cool to emulate that.

Oh, and one more thing: It's kinda hard to make out in the pictures, but...erm...does that thing have an actual rectum between those pincers? o_O

Thakns guys for the feedback and comments. I really like the idea of making the dreadlocks look like mechatendrils - I haven't read up on the butchers nails too much, so Teetengee, Lord Haelim Lev, Xin Ceithan and Kraut Scientist: thanks for the idea! I will make some plugged-in versions. :tu:

Oh, and one more thing: It's kinda hard to make out in the pictures, but...erm...does that thing have an actual rectum between those pincers? o_O

HAHAHA! No mate, he doesn't. But you bring up an interesting idea though.... ;) :blink.: 
(why do people keep commenting on my miniatures' asses? Someone also suggested giving my obliterators butt-plates... That's right ppots - 340 comments later this comes back to cause the trouble you dreaded ;) :D)

As much as I like the conversion as a whole I think you overdid the 'hair' a bit. It looks a bit out of place to me. I hope you don't mind me saying this, but it's honestly the only thing thus far I think could be done better! The suggestion of altering out some cables for tubes would already make a big difference in my opinion.

Haha this is good - Voxxel, I agree with your assessment. I opened BnC to make an update just now - as I redid the hair with different tubes and cables - to find you comment advising me to do exactly that.  Great minds think alike?

So I redid the entire do of the thing and it now has four different kind of cables with varying thicknesses. What do you all think - better?

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/temporary_zps2e5d508f.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/temporary_zps9e303769-1.jpg

Improved! But I would still like to see more cables ending in other mechanisms rather than just hanging loose.

I know what you mean but I am not sure how - any ideas? I don't have any servitors to spare (they all turned into cultists) I do have some plasticard tubing and plates lying around, but have no idea how to turn those into plugs or servitor-endings'... Please spill it when you have ideas! ±tu±

I think the "hair cables" are pretty much perfect now: There's more variation to them than before, some of them look like they may actually have served a technical purpose at some point, and yet the dreadlock resemblance is still there. Very, very cool! :)

Thanks Forte, Haelim, Teets, Ghost and Kraut! Your comments confirmed that I am on the right track with these. I'm still considering scratchbuilding washers or plugs for some of the ends. In any case, the smooth ones will be painted with hazardstripes and the rest in varying metal colours. :tu:

The Eight Legged Lord of Skulls is complete and basically ready for painting! The only thing left to do on this sucker is put on the gun muzzles, but those haven't come in the mail yet... 

Unfortunately painting will have to wait until the end of september - there's a problem with my airbrush compressor's valve right now and I'm off for three weeks to the Himalaya's in a week. 

Thanks everyone for the support and the cheers - you guys keep me going. Also, the critical feedback I've gotten really pushes me to be a better converter/kitbasher - so thanks to you all. 

And now for the pics.

Front

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/temporary_zps3183fd55-1.jpg

Left

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/temporary_zps21621aa6.jpg

Right

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/temporary_zps51a6493b.jpg

Rear

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/temporary_zpsda18b8d4.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/temporary_zps383f9d46.jpg

Augustus, how are you finding that tentacle maker? I just purchased one online for a much smaller but similar conversion with dreadlocks I'm working on. The myriad different cables there look much better than before, nice job!

The tentacle makers are indeed a bliss. I bought them back in 2012 when Richard from GSI was still in the beginning of the process. I made a guest article about my Khorne Dark Apostle 'Bucephalus' for his site and even has some of my WIP pics of the Word Bearers dread I used it on ion his FB site. I was lucky to get my hands on his stuff before the craze so shipping was real fast :biggrin.:

Glad to see this monstrosity complete buddy! It's looking awesome. I love how the mechanical dreads really make him a terrific machine representation of Angron's crazy mane of Butcher's Nails.

Secondly, enjoy your time in the Himalayas! Just keep in mind while you're there, you're totally standing where the Palace of Terra will be erected in 28,000 years or so :thumbsup:

@Flint: Actually it's been awesome to have a side project from my regular Night Lords, and I'm happy and thankful you're  sharing the experience with me. 
The Himalaya's will be a superb challenge. I'm climbing the Stok Kangri, a 6K+ meter high mountain in the Indian himalaya's near Leh. It's an extra challenge because I suffered a spinal disc hernia four years ago and my knees are pretty much pulp after years of rock climbing and race cycling. I've been training for this for almost a year now. I'll be climbing the mountain with a dedciated group of young professionals and we've all tapped into our professional and personal networks to raise money for a really good cause: an NGO that supports sustainable educational initiatives in the Mumbaian slums. We've managed to raise over €50k uptil now so I better climb that mountain :thumbsup::thumbsup::biggrin.::biggrin.:

And you can be sure I'll be shouting Blood for the Blood God when and if I'll reach the top. The place needs to be desicrated looooooooooong before that false god takes his last seat there. :wink:

@MrBear: Thanks! The Himalaya trip will be one of my biggest physical challenges in my life uptil now, so hopefully I'll be in a state of mind/body to finish the model before the end of September - or maybe October.

@Koriel: Cheers mate! I'm still trying to find a balance between updates on a starting project and the finish - I even felt sometimes this project had a little too many (although all had grerat feedback which gave me ideas to improve) so please don; hesitatie to comment on that.

@Skrundle87: Thanks mate, I'm happy you like my work! Please feel free to commetn or give feedback -it makes us all better builders. 

@Muskie: right you are mate. Funnily, the standard *tracked* Lord of Skulls is considered a walker according to the rules. I said bullocks and actually gave him legs. :thumbsup:

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Sweet Lord of Skulls. A true War Machine. :thumbsup:

Good luck on your climb. After you give a shout out to Khorne are you going to at least do a yodel? I'm pretty sure it's mandatory after a mountain climb. :tongue.:

Thanks mate. And no - Yodels are for Swiss toddlers climbing the hills they call Alps. The Himalaya's are for real men - or in words less offensive to our dedicated female worshippers - for those truly worthy of the Blood God's attentions. ;)

Augustus - when are you going to add wings and make it transformable into a Baneblade?

:tongue.:

Good looking btw.

Haha, maybe I'll do something like that in a future kit-bash/conversion. Thanks anyway mate :thumbsup:

EDIT: it there are Swiss climbers here that have climbed the North face of the Eiger - I take everything back. You guys deserve a place at the foot of the Skull Throne.

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Oooo... I'm so jealous! You beat me to building something like this, and it looks stunning. I've dreamed of making an over-sized Defiler for several years, and the Lord of Skulls kit is just begging for it. Someday... someday... *eyes glaze over as he stares at the wonderful creation*