++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

That was a great response, indeed!

@BCK andfpanzer: you guys are both right and make the same point, only from different angles. The censer probably isn't as heavy as that volume would if it'd be solid stone or metal, as coals generally are quite light, but still it'd weigh a lot and to swing something like that a very dynamic swinging - and thus pose - is required. Luckily, I indulged you both (and others, among whom myself)!! :D

Here's the reposed DP:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Death%20Guard/WP_20170730_001%202_zpsnjgpne87.jpg 

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Death%20Guard/WP_20170730_002%202_zpssutm9qxb.jpg

More pics in hidden brackets

Hidden Content

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Death%20Guard/WP_20170730_003%202_zpsuakg3yy7.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Death%20Guard/WP_20170730_005%202_zpsggzvm0so.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Death%20Guard/WP_20170730_006%202_zpsqfoh0u5d.jpg

Looks good, eh? Almost perfectly captures BCK's suggested pose:

Hidden Content

Coming along nicely, but I think he might need even more adjusting to the pose to get that feeling of momentum that the giant censer needs. Something like this. 

http://i.imgur.com/FlcVirc.jpg?1

Let me know what you think! Thanks for looking and your comments and critique. :)

Replies:

@ Kordhal: RIght now the aim is to just get his pose right, which would require rescultping the arms and a part of the pelvis, but that shouldn't pose a problem. The rest of the body is pretty nurgly - but if you have any suggesting, I'll be most interested!

@ KrautScientist: I know what you mean and thought about it, but it is as you say: a lot of extra work without a guaranteed payoff. I'm not too keen on pointing dudes, preferring to let the miniature be strong on its own. 

@ Aasfresser: Still not convinced why his neck would be too long - he's a daemon, plus the undivided GW finecast DP has an even longer neck!

@ The Traitor: of course you need to sculpt your own DP  -you can never have too many DPs

@ Mechanist: Cheers for the vote of confidence! 

@ Wolf_Priest_Dantay: That's a cool idea, but I'm not too keen on the whole fly iconography. I'm actually considering removing the fly on his left arm altogether! :biggrin.:

@ Maarten: Thanks, mate! How do you like the chain vs tentacle now?

@ Eldrick Shadowblade: That's a good point, actually - the tentacle should have some cuts and some pustules as well!

@ Vairocanum: You I thought the same thing about the relatively thin thighs. On the other hand - I like the belly on the thin legs. Seems somehow creepy. ;)

@ BubblesMcGub: That's the whole point! :D :tu: 

@ GuiteRasmus: How do you like the repose?

@ Sagentus: Cheers, buddy!

@ BCK: Thanks for the picture!

Wow, that repose really brought the awesome up to eleven, and serves as a good lesson on the importance of how to convey motion. The model was cool already but now it's so much better. I don't know what else to say, this is top notch work, even with your standards. I'm definitely burrowing some ideas for my own DP

@ KrautScientist: I know what you mean and thought about it, but it is as you say: a lot of extra work without a guaranteed payoff. I'm not too keen on pointing dudes, preferring to let the miniature be strong on its own.

To be fair, it was less about a cheap special effect and more about adding some agency to the model -- or at least its left arm. That being said, the repose has taken car of that rather neatly, because now the left arms looks as if it were part of the entire motion, so consider the case closed ;)

As for the reposed legs, I like it for about 90%, but I cannot shake the feeling that the stance seems comically wide in the very first photo, plus the left leg doesn't look like it could attach to the body in any anatomically plausible way -- the effect is only really pronounced in the first picture, mind you. Both because the area is more obscured in the other pictures, or because it's merely a problem of perspective? Anyway, might be worth double-checking.

I love the repose, looks much more fluid and dynamic. The only thing that throws me off is the fingers on the left hand... I always hated those damn things. Might I suggest replacing them and having them curl a bit? It wouldn't take much to do and would probably feel more natural.

Loving the update, I was going to chime in about the pose but then I move to the next page and see the leg repose. He's looking mean now, looking forward to the neck being fleshed out etc.

The head really reminds me of the Violator or Malebolgia from the Spawn univers. :tu: That's ALWAYS a good thing! :tu:

I love the repose, looks much more fluid and dynamic. The only thing that throws me off is the fingers on the left hand... I always hated those damn things. Might I suggest replacing them and having them curl a bit? It wouldn't take much to do and would probably feel more natural.

I would like to present a counterpoint to this, because I've always felt that it was a great touch how the left hand actually looked like that of a disease victim: There is something malformed and arthritic about them that I think is really rather realistic, and it's an interesting little way of showing the "blessings" of Nurgle.

I'm so glad you reposed Fatty McPoop, he looks very dynamic and way more threatening. This is why I love the B&C's WIP forum, so much useful input and constructive comments. 

And touche: you're absolutely right about the neck. It will look good once sculpted.

The reposed legs are definitely better than before, but still don't look quite right. Since his torso is very straight, it looks more like he's dragging the back leg rather than leaning into the swing. If the whole body was angled forward more it would definitely convey more motion. A quick Photoshop mockup to illustrate:

http://i.imgur.com/22miUxC.jpg

The reposed legs are definitely better than before, but still don't look quite right. Since his torso is very straight, it looks more like he's dragging the back leg rather than leaning into the swing. If the whole body was angled forward more it would definitely convey more motion. A quick Photoshop mockup to illustrate:

http://i.imgur.com/22miUxC.jpg

I agree with this, but more importantly, I think the torso needs to be turned a bit - like an 8th og a 16th of a turn - in the direction of the censer. This will convey a lot more momentum and dynamics, I think. However, I'm very aware the he will be an absolute b****** to to this with. I think it can be done though, by cutting off his entire torso and repositioning it, with some sculpting touchups afterwards. 

Thanks for all the comments, team! Just a quick update to show that I am not, in fact, dead. Just very busy with work and dating (which is totally awkward, after having been out of the game for years! - I do have a date with a doctor, though. :D) Anyway.  Here's some updates on the Nurgle Daemon Prince. 

I started working on sculpting the muscles of his right upper arm...

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Death%20Guard/WP_20170802_002%202_zpsrfzkekss.jpg

... and connected his left leg to his pelvis.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Death%20Guard/WP_20170802_001%203_zps7arf0yts.jpg

I'll just keep on trucking. 

Thanks for looking and for all your comments and feedback. Most of what you're saying is very helpful, and although some aren't in line with my vision, all of it is appreciated - even the ones I don't agree with force me to think why I don't agree, which is helpful in itself, as I make better judgements that way. :tu:

Replies!

@ ElDuderino: Yeah pose is 2/3rds of the whole ensemble when it comes to conversion, as far as I am concerned. 

@ sfPanzer: Wait for the neck to be actually sculpted before you judge it! :)

@ KrautScientist: See? That comment about his leg - even though at first I was like 'but it looks fine' made me return to it, and see that it's off by a few mediocre degrees. So I tweaked it, and now it's perfect. Thanks, Kraut!

@ Maarten: Thank, buddy! I cannot wait for those Land Raider conversion tracks you're sending me!

@ DuskRaider: Yeah I thought about them too and I am still not sure about them I agree with KrautSCientist about them looking decrepit, but the finecast is so bad...

@ Biohazard: Yeah dude! You're right! He totally looks like the violator! Lolz - trip back to memory lane. :)

@ Dragonlover: Nah, that's a bit too tongue-in-cheek (see what I did there?:teehee:). This dude need to look feral and scary, not funny. 

@ Teetengee: The shoulder on his or our right - pretty important to not leave out the possessive from that particular sentence, buddy! :D In any case - neither have had any but the most basic sculpting work done, so I'll ignore that critique until I've worked on it for a bit. :) 

@ KrautScientist: I agree, the problem is the cast of the finecast is so bad!

@ Aasfresser: Isn't it!? Thanks! 

@ ~Drakzilla~: Thank you so much for going to the trouble of doing the photoshop! I see that somehow his censer is raised, but I'm not sure how you have done it - and thus what you want me to alter. Just be sure that his torso will be turned about 5 degrees to his right :tu:

@ GuitaRasmus: I completely agree with that  -and I had already planned it. It's just that his torso was blutacked to his legs in the pictures, and the weight of the censer kept pushing his body back to his left. Anyway. I really appreciate your C&C, especially since you're such an accomplished converter yourself. However, I really would appreciate your not quoting pictures to make your point. A simple 'I agree with the above picture', 'Re:fraterX's comment:', or simply putting the pics in the quote between hidden brackets, would alleviate that problem. It's kind of a pet peeve of mine, I know, but for these reasons, it's really worth dispensing of the quoted pics...

Raising the base under the right foot is a great idea to tweak the angle of the legs. Now I want to see him as a whole again to judge if he got more dynamic. The sculpted muscles look good, the tentacles as well. You use a tube tool, right? 

Just very busy with work and dating (...)

Well, there goes the mancave. Just you wait ;)

Seriously, though: Best of luck on the dating front! :)

Still, it's good to see an update, and the Daemon Prince is getting better and better. I was just about prepared to say the leg issue hasn't really been resolved (because that gap, where you've now sculpted additional tissue) is so wide as to throw off the overall anatomy a bit, but then I realised that the lines of his left leg now make it look almost insectile, as though it were on the verge of another flesh change, so that actually works, after all.

I've been meaning to ask this for a while: Will he be getting another shoulder pad on his left shoulder? Because I've always found that bare shoulder to be one of the stock models shortcomings.

@ sfPanzer: I won't I won't!  

@ Aasfresser: I do use a tube roll, but the tentacle is completely sculpted one the down where the vambrace starts - you can see it's a bit less smooth, there.

@ KrautScientist: Thanks, - that's a nice thought about the insectile leg. I will include another shoulder pad on the left armour, for sure, as I agree it's a bit weird that the stock model doesn't have one.  

Thanks for all the comments, team! Just a quick update to show that I am not, in fact, dead. Just very busy with work and dating (which is totally awkward, after having been out of the game for years! - I do have a date with a doctor, though. :biggrin.:)

LIES! ALL LIES!!!

-snip-

@ Teetengee: The shoulder on his or our right - pretty important to not leave out the possessive from that particular sentence, buddy! :biggrin.: In any case - neither have had any but the most basic sculpting work done, so I'll ignore that critique until I've worked on it for a bit. :smile.:

-snip-

His shoulder, thus the right shoulder, not the shoulder on the right :P. In any case, please do ignore, as the sculpting is already improving it.

Different critique about that shoulder: The shoulder pad is now going to be slid down over his "deltoid" which doesn't quite match up with the point of the armor, but is well within the possibilities of a daemon prince. Also, adjusting it would require slicing apart even more bits. It still looks a bit weird though.

*snip*

@ ~Drakzilla~: Thank you so much for going to the trouble of doing the photoshop! I see that somehow his censer is raised, but I'm not sure how you have done it - and thus what you want me to alter. Just be sure that his torso will be turned about 5 degrees to his right :thumbsup:

So the only thing I did was tilt the whole upper body, arms and everything, by about 20 degrees clockwise.

http://i.imgur.com/hCMbWWr.jpg 

*snip*

@ ~Drakzilla~: Thank you so much for going to the trouble of doing the photoshop! I see that somehow his censer is raised, but I'm not sure how you have done it - and thus what you want me to alter. Just be sure that his torso will be turned about 5 degrees to his right :thumbsup:

So the only thing I did was tilt the whole upper body, arms and everything, by about 20 degrees clockwise.

<image snip>

I think that's too much to be honest. Also hurling such kind of weapon from below is nothing unusual so I'm not sure if it actually needs that change at all.