++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

Eagerly awaiting updates /popcorn

Does a cast suffer because the mold's repeated usage deteriorates it? Or is it so popular that the person in charge has to produce so many and therefore doesn't have the time to take the necessary care to properly produce it?

Awesome to see some Midnight Clad vehicles again! You are seriously tempting me to make a start on re-kindling my NL army idea! 

The Nostalgia of both you and Heinrich doing NL's again is just too much! haha

I shall be be keeping a close eye on the Fire Raptor build, as the new year will see some Fast Attack/Air Support EC action!! 

Looking forward to the Fire Raptor, it’s feels like a great fit into any Night Lords army.

Putting magnets under the Land Raider for storage is absolutely brilliant. Stealing that for sure. :)

Hey gang,

Here in the comments on this thread and by PM there were questions by frater asking for a step-by-step tutorial on how to assemble the Fire Raptor 'the best way'. I'm not sure mine is the best way, and I do feel like the instructions should be followed, but I do have some tips on how to get the best result following those instructions.

AFter you've cleaned everything, the guide starts with the instruction to glue the bottom and the sides together. This bond is the foundation upon which the entire assmbly is build, so it has to be as sturdy, and as flawless as possible. Therefore, I suggest tons of test fits with a hairdryer and/or a container with boiled water (large enough to fit the assembly) close by. nce you're sure that those two sides each fit the bottom plate perfectly, I suggest pining those spots, like so:

ghFNpSP.jpg

After having pinned, but not glued those parts together, I suggest test-fitting in the two bulk heads, the plastic cockpit part, and the top and bottom resin back plates. Don't use any glue up to this point. The entire assembly can then be held together with some rubber bands. Not too tight. Like so:

pKRsvbs.jpg

mcNK9l9.jpg

Then dunk the entire assembly in boiling water and push all crevice closed and and straighten every bent art. Once you're satisfied, you then hold this entire ensemble under a running cold tap. Then leave to dry. Once it's dry, you can then glue this entire assembly in one go. I never use super glue on resin (as superglue becomes brittle over time) but instead a two component epoxy called UHU Schnellfest.

I'm still waiting for it to have dried. Once I glued this assembly, I'll post the next steps.

Cheers!

Replies:

@ Sgt. Blank: That's great to hear, Sgt. Blank! Thanks! 

@ Bjorn Firewalker: MOST IMPRESSIVE? :wink:

Hidden Content
http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/cf/cf4afac9410f7440943a70a7fdcaf7aac9a6adf2ef5d33e47cc94bafdbad2c88.jpg

@ Ranker: Cheers, buddy! Glad you like it. About your question on the decaying molds: repeated usage decays molds for sure, and your theory of the popularity of the kit leading to less time for the FW staff to demold new casts, I'm not sure. I think FW quality control is pretty strict as it is.  

@ Lord Commander Eidolon: DO IT! And yeah, it's pretty cool that Brother Heinrich and I both sold and restarted with Night lords again. I hope my step-by-step is helpful for you. :smile.:

@ Corswain: Cheers! Steal away! :thumbsup:

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Did a little more work on the Fire Raptor. The second part of the build tips is as follows. after constructing the wings according to the instructions:

jUDax5P.jpg

You pin the wings in place using two small pins, which are enought to keep it straight enough for the epoxy to grab a hold of the surfaces:

P3Jobwz.jpg

Hope this helps. :smile.:

Lolz. Actually, this Fire Raptor, even though it's a far worse cast than my first one, it's not that bad to build. The oly thing required is a big ol' pan of boiling water and everything will line up fine. Some sand paper is pretty nice too. It's just that I never start building a kit with the expectation that everything will fit smoothly (not saying you do, btw, SD :biggrin.:). Part of the fun of building FW kits, for me, is that they're more difficult, and require problem-solving skills. I like the challenge!

I also like to cheat, in that when I can't solve a problem, I make it go away by hiding it. In the Land Raider I finished last week, the power pack for the meltagun part of the combi weapon had a huge gap between it and the original bolter casing it as glued one. INstead of fixing it, I just stuck a piece of flesh on it, so no-one would see. Done! :biggrin.:

With that in mind, I went and magnetized the ball turret hatches, using 1mmx2mm cilinder magnets:

98x4b1o.jpg

And of course the landing gear. We want this baby to be able to fly as well as stand in a docking bay (for that game of Zone Mortalis)...

erYDea6.jpg

The back landing gear doesn't require magnets: they will just fit through sheer friction. 

gGolnXC.jpg

Notice how these landing feet have their aquilas scraped off? Guess why that is... ;)

I hope you like - but comments are even more appreciated, guys! They keep this thread, and by extension, me going!

Oh, this is your second time building one. I see, that changes the perspective considerably. Yeah, I'd be far less intimidated by it the second time 'round having figured out the more challenging bits; yup, you gotta' dunk it all as one large part to get it anywhere close to true. You're also completely right in that pinning is essential to preserving your sanity. I agree that it's not as bad as it's made out to be by many people, but it was still the most challenging FW model I've assembled... errr... mostly assembled. FW really could have made it a bit easier with some interlocking bits in key locations.

Oh, this is your second time building one. I see, that changes the perspective considerably. Yeah, I'd be far less intimidated by it the second time 'round having figured out the more challenging bits; yup, you gotta' dunk it all as one large part to get it anywhere close to true. You're also completely right in that pinning is essential to preserving your sanity. I agree that it's not as bad as it's made out to be by many people, but it was still the most challenging FW model I've assembled... errr... mostly assembled. FW really could have made it a bit easier with some interlocking bits in key locations.

True, true. I will say that because the first one was over four years ago, most of that experience is lost. I'm just building on my entire repertoire of tricks here. ;) I don't agree with your last remark though: everyting interlocks fine on the Fire Raptor. I think it's a very smart kit - far better designed than, say, the Spartan.

I think a lot of people mak the mistake of believing that because the Storm Eagle was a complete pig to build, that the Fire Raptor will be the same.

I wish this tutorial had been around a few months ag, such good ideas about the magnets and pinning.

Btw, I already used your tip for the boiling water on my Mastodon, I remembered it from when you dd the Kharybdis/ dreadclaw build a while back :)

Hidden Content

39126586072_bc684549f1_c.jpg20170329_202511 by Danny Taylor, on Flickr

The land raider came out awesome. I love all the extra details like the winged skull on the tread and the covering of the lights. Now I am excited to see it painted up!

And as for the fire raptor...I wish you could have been there when I had to build my storm eagle. I could have used a seasoned guru with that psychological disorder of a kit.

@ Honda: Bless you! Wait, what's wrong with the storm eagle?

@ Wolf_Priest_Dantay: What happened to the _xv ending of your name? ;) Glad to see my earlier tips paid off for someone!

@ hushrong: Dude! You totally missed the finished Land Raider!

Wow, with KrautScientist and Brother Heinrich returning, the forum feels like some kind of reunion! 

tumblr_njahe8yzrP1qe0upgo5_r1_500.gif

However, I also read that BCK is leaving us. #SAD

Anyway, I did some more work on the FIre Raptor: it's ready for chaosification!

dTF1vMQ.jpg

The cockpit window is painted red on the inside with Tamiya Clear Red X-27. Notice that I still have to sculpt a Night Lords symbol on the front, where the Aquila used to be. 

6xd5zpi.jpg

I've also been strenuously sanding the Nigh Lords symbols from two Rhino front doors and three Land Raider and Rhino side hatches:

1msZHQM.jpg

Which I prceeded to use on the sides of the Raptor:

kuxGQ2R.jpg

...on its wings...

EsjM4xY.jpg

...and on its rear ramp!

4dRCl4o.jpg

All that needs to be done now is add spikes, sculpt a Night Lords symbol up front, and perhaps some flesh... which would look very coo, but I'm not sure how it would hold up in higher altitudes or in space.... I guess rool of cool? Ranker, I could use your input: it's going to be your Fire Raptor: do you want flesh or not?

Cheers!

@ guardian31: thanks, buddy! Hobby juices are flowing again!

@ hushrong: Lolz! Wait for the fire raptor. I don't want you to need a two-fer on the laer surgery. :wink:

@ malcharion: Thanks! It came from a hate for painting lights :smile.:

Flesh will freeze, become brittle, and break off when the Fire Raptor ascends to high altitudes and/or enters space; what remains will burn up during atmospheric reentry. Unless the Fire Raptor is Possessed, i.e., it's TRANSFORMING into a flesh-and-blood creature, it's best to put such decorations in the vehicle interior.

Flesh will freeze, become brittle, and break off when the Fire Raptor ascends to high altitudes and/or enters space; what remains will burn up during atmospheric reentry. Unless the Fire Raptor is Possessed, i.e., it's TRANSFORMING into a flesh-and-blood creature, it's best to put such decorations in the vehicle interior.

I wanted to agree and say that not even Space Wolves put fur on their Stormwolfs...then I re-checked and saw they have a bunch of bones and chains and stuff on them which would get destroyed during atmospheric reentry as well. I guess rule of cool trumps all. :P

The Fire Raptor is coming along nicely, though I would have used press molding instead of sacrificing full FW doors :P... Spikes would be great, but I don't know how well flayed flesh would maintain in space? Or even at high speeds on the surface?

OHHHH I love that red stained cockpit! That looks great and it's going to look glorious when the rest of that beast gets some Midnight Blue put on her. Thanks for that heads up about seeing this thing completed before trying to restore my eyesight haha.

The re-purposed legion symbols also up the ante in the coolness factor.

@ Bjorn FIrewalker: Those are exactly the reasons why I didn't put on any fleshy trophies on the first fire raptor (also because I hadn't learned how to do them back then). 

@ sfPanzer: They do look cool, for sure. That's the whole reason I'm even considering it. 

@ The Traitor: Press Molding - oh right.... Space and Speed are all not particularly good for trophies...

@ hushrong: Cheers, buddy. Rememember, after this raptor, I will paint a Mars pattern Land Raider and a Spartan, all in Night Lords colours. so you might wanna hold off laser surgery for those too :wink:

@ Ranker: I was hoping you'd say that. But you've also given the best, most fluffy reason why those skin trophies would be there despite burning off each time the ship enters space or accelerates to high speeds: they just slap on new stuff after each raid!!! 

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/388236/knife-man-o.gif

I can't believe I'm saying this, but "A Daemon possessed the gunship and is mutating its airframe into a flesh-and-blood body for itself," actually makes more sense than "The Night Lords waste time mounting fresh bodies onto their gunships, to replace flesh-and-blood decorations that were lost every time the gunship flew faster than 400 km/h."