++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

I still love your Night Lords scheme so much... that's why I'm really saddened to hear they're gone along with your Fists. That blue is just perfect, it's almost like looking up into the sky on a moonlit night and you've got the lightning down pat.

If you put as much thought into your Death Guard as you put into your other projects, you're going to have an amazing army!

@ Quixus: Oooh that's a great pointer. No idea what happened there, but I'll have to fix that. Thanks!

@ GrandAlf: CHeers. The Spartan doesn't use the new NL doors. This Land Raider does, though. :tu:

@ Hungry Nostraman Lizard:  like your nametag! Have fun with the corpses. (That sounds so wrong)

@ DuskRaider: Cheers, buddy, that is nice of you to say for sure. I myself don't miss the Night Lords, just the Fists. I love that you have the same feeling coming from my NL scheme, about the Night Sky, with dawn approaching on the horizon. I'm very much looking forward to painting the Nurgle stuff, I just hope I get as much fun out f it as I did my Fists. :)

FIVE HOURS?!?! That's insane!!! It isn't just that you get such amazingly good results, but that you do it in a fraction of the time it gets the rest of us to make something mediocre at best... Wouldn't be surprised if someone ragequitted the hobby after reading through this thread :P... Which is of course a joke as your work always inspires me to push myself to the limit when doing my models (and this is a fact, when I painted 1500 points of my tournament army in two weeks this summer one of the things that kept me going was "damn it, Augustus b'Raas would have done it in two days, you can do it in two weeks!" ;))

@ hushrong: haha yeah I realized the same thing. I hope it becomes a pattern. They're all commissions, which I hope to continue doing this year. Not necessarily for the money, but I've come to realize that I enjoy painting vehicles for other people - I enjoy the communications and the happy messages from clients. It's a win-win - I get to paint stuff and it doesn't cost me any money to do so. Plus I retain shelf space :wink:

@ Hungry Nostraman Lizard: I'm going to call you HNL from now on :wink: I have sold my Night Lords army - about two months back, actually. It was such a relieve. I got seven shelves back, paid off and for a lot of things, went on vacation, and got my hobby jive back. Plus it made me realize I like doing commissions - second best choice of 2017 (the best was asking my now girlfriend for a date) 

@ The Traitor: Just to build it, mind you! :)  Also, this is the fifth time I've constructed the Spartan frame (three spartans and two typhons) so I know exactly what to do. But I am really happy to read what you've wrote - in fact it didn't only make my day, it made my week! Hearing about how one's work inspires others is the best kind of reward, really!

@ Ranker: As it should! :wink: Although mind you - this build has the Sack 'o Corpses on it, while yours probably won't - unless you want me to order some for it! The flyer is by FAR harder to piece together than the Spartan - the Fire Raptor took me about two days and the Storm Eagle is expected to be even harder, while the Spartan is super easy and takes about four hours to build, plus the time it takes to do trophies. :tu:

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

I had been warned. Did I listen? Nope. Did I approach the issue with caution? Nooooooo. And was I humble in doing so? Hellz no. Instead, I was cocky as crap. I even dared someone to commission me to do it. And then he took the challenge. So now, I'm stuck. 

I assumed it'd be similar. They look almost the same from the outside. I looked at pictures of the one and compared it to the other and thought - how difficult can it be? 

You play with matches, you get burned. Oh, how I regret things....

I am talking about, of course, the Storm Eagle. I started on the kit today, as I was waiting for wash to dry on the assembled, primed and basecoated Spartan. 

Look at this mess:

CAd7G5C.jpg

And the warpage isn't even the biggest problem. A hairdryer and a big pan of biling water will fix that, easy. The problem is this:

Hidden Content
1UHdlTw.jpg

The base plate is the best place to start - it's a relatively big and solid piece of resin with two completely horizontal surfaces. From there, you need to build up the model with the sides. On the Fire Raptor, those sides are thick and interlock well, allowing for very effective pinning. On the Storm Eagle, the connecting points are super flimsy - with no room to pin things - at first glance. I'm going to have to hobby the crap out of this thiing.

On better news, I started painting the Spartan. :smile.:

U8YTpd2.jpg

aRXgHwo.jpg?1

Cheers.

Thanks for looking and for commenting. :smile.:

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

If there is anyone that can do it mate - it's you Sir!

Going back to your earlier point - I always find it easier to do things for other people rather than for myself ie- i love makingh gifts for other people and very raley make anything for myself!!

Relieving my Space Wolves army was similar reilef, I'm glad you have found your groove again!

I hope you enjoy this Challenge!

I had been warned. Did I listen? Nope. Did I approach the issue with caution? Nooooooo. And was I humble in doing so? Hellz no. Instead, I was cocky as crap. I even dared someone to commission me to do it. And then he took the challenge. So now, I'm stuck.

Thanks for looking and for commenting. :smile.:

Muwahahahaha

I'm kind of glad and somewhat vindicated that you've come to grief!

Haha 'thanks', guys, for the 'support' :p ;) lol

Really, I realized today that Forge World has it all wrong in the instructions. The real place to start is not at teh bottom fron plate, but at the rear top plate - that's the area with the most structural mass and the most room for pinning - and so the place that allows for the best allignment!

Tight here is where I put some pins:

STPcKKX.jpg

Now that those are pinned (but not glued) I can start dunking the hull segments in hot water to allign them and then glue them, and so move on to next sessions.
Dunk,
Aallign,

Dry,

Glue.

That's what it's all about!

Perhpas my initial reaction was coloured by your warnings - and so I may have over reacted a bit. I agree that the kit offers more of a modelling challenge than the Fire Raptor - but it won't be the hell the I've come to imagine it to be, from what I've read here and on other places on the interwebs. Or is there more to it than the hull? :blink.: 

Replies!

@ Dantay VI: Thanks for the welcome! It feels so warm!

@ BubblesMcGub: Do you own one as well? I never knew!

@ BrotherJim: I am the same way for sure. Wait... did you sell your Space Wolves?

@ HNL: This is by far the most challenging for sure - I've built the Warhound, Spartan, Typhon, Fire Raptor and Greater Brass Scorpion from FW and they're all doable for sure. Not for the novice, but all techniques used on them were first timers for me too and I found them all on guides on YouTube or forums like this one. I think when it comes to building the real restriction comes from not having the right tools and glues available. That's a matter of preparation, not of skill. :tu:

@ L.C. Eidolon: Well, being a Night lords player in my core, I guess vindication comes naturally to me??? :P But seriously, it is a good looking kit, and I'm looking forward to finishing it. :)

@ hushrong: hahaha I will plough through i like a knife through butter! A blunt knife. Through frozen butter. But still. :tu:

Yes I cleared out the Space Wolves, and my Black Legion, and the Plague Marines also.

The last few years have been a slow agonizing death for my hobby. I'm not really happy with the new direction GW is taking space marines and power armor. Its quite heart breaking actually. I was actually depressed about it for awhile. I might have to finally start collecting resin: I seem to be having trouble moving on to a new hobby that is equally entertaining, engaging and fulfilling.

Quiet around these parts! t least I got the body of the Storm Eagle finished.

It was actually quite easy once I realized you have to start with the rear top plate. Then pin and glue the plastic front top plate onto that - and you have a solid base from which to work - and a nice guide to angle the rear plates on (which, coupled with their pins to the rear top plate, also provide a nice guide). It's a slow process, and I definitely do not advice super glue but to use 2-component epoxy resin instead (which dries in about 20 minutes). Just glue one area at a time and it's just a slow process - but it isn't hard!

n0GrCtK.jpg

Done!

I'm still working on the Spartan - I sprayed it dark blue but for some reason every time I start painting a Spartan (or Typhon) I get a little discouraged after I lay down the base coat! It'll fade for sure.

At least now I have the Storm Eagle project to have something to do when I feel a bit meh about painting.

Replies!

@ The Traitor: Don't be afraid of the stories - it may look daunting (I was a bit rattled when I saw the bent sides!) but it's not by any means as bad as people make it out to be. You can do it!

@ BrotherJim: Dude, I had the same thing. I was so miffed when I first saw those stupid truescale marines. Ridiculous move on GWs part, for sure. Why would they start a second scale of marines - it's just ridiculous. And the fluff about them is soo bad and setting-shattering. Of well, at least they still sell original scale marines.  Sad to hear about your sellout - but at least now you can start a new army with a new slate - and with the B&C allowing Xenos now, there's no reason not to! :tu: :D

First of all, stellar army. Your NL's and IF's were one of the bigger inspirations that made me take my space marine army and think of every little plastic man as a character. Sad to see the NL's go but it's nice to see you still get to do some NL stuff here and there as well (and making me increasingly lean towards the temptation of chaos....shame on you :wink: ).

The land raiders and the fire raptor are very nice indeed. I may have to shamelessly steal the flayed skin over the headlamp idea if I ever get around to getting some vehicles or gaming properly :happy.: .

Keep up the top notch work!

Cheers, team!

@ BubblesMcGub: Thanks! It took a while, but now the hard part is over I am realy inspired!

@ Mechanist: HAHA cheers! My hobby jive is tickling for sure!

@ Excellon67: Aw, thanks, buddy! That's nice of you to say. It was hard to part with the Nls and IFs, but it was well worth it to me. I'm super glad they inspired you in the way that you wrote. Thanks for sharing that with me :)

@ DuskRaider: It just takes patience, a hairdryer, and the right glue. Anyone can build it!