++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

Cheers, Dusky! :) I'm still thinking about it. I really like your scheme, but also want to use the Knight in conjunction with my 40k World Eaters  -which have red. In that sense, Houses Aethregn and Atrax would be better - with some bone detailing to pull them into the DG scheme. 

Speaking of Knights. The basic build is done! 

xrnIA1M.jpg

dGNeYrB.jpg

O5fpBz8.jpg

4kuBCtz.jpg

SqHR1Jd.jpg

Now it's time to make it look like something that's not the standard FW Chaos Knight - more trophies, skulls and helmets on spikes, chains, fleshy parts, etc.

There's also the technical issue of the maulerfiend exhausts. The thing is - their lower parts don't fit the Knight body, so I'll have to sculpt/model their attachement points. Probably with some fleshy parts or something. But they're also so big that the carapace's holes for them do not fit over them. So OR I have to sculpt them in place meaning I can't keep the carapace seperate, OR I need to sculpt/fix it so that they can be placed through the holes after painting, OR I have to use the original exhausts... nah, that last part is ridiculous. This may need some further thought...

Anyway! 

Hope you like.

Cheers!

Attach the exhaust stacks to the carapace itself and leave them independent of the frame. You can model something on the frame that would meet with the stacks to make it look like it's one piece. You really don't want to have the Carapace attached to the frame for painting purposes... although you are a freakin wizard with the airbrush so maybe it won't cause issues for you.

Man that scrivener is such a beauty,I'm forever in awe of your skills with a brush.

In with duskraider on the issue of the exhausts, just cut them apart and attach the tops to the carapace. The joint will probably be at least covered up by the carapace too, so any small gaps won't be very noticeable.

I love the repose btw. Can't wait to see what you do to further customize it:)

There's a...

And yes, I see that cat hair running along the back of his trunk now. Goddamnit, it's almost imperceptible on the miniature itself. I should really start and ban my cat from my hobby space. And give my WIP miniatures a squirt of pressurized air before basecoating.

Oh, so you noticed ;)

Seriously, though: The Plague Marine squad is looking great, once again. That scrivener steals the show, though -- fantastic paintjob! The mouth area seals the deal for me once more! Regarding the blue feather and Nurgle icon, they look great, but are there any other elements of that colour in your army? Or is the feather supposed to have been plucked from a follower of Tzeentch (which would be a neat little touch)?

By the way, I, for one, really appreciate the 'evolved' red -- adds a nice bit of pop to the models!

As for the Knight, I was going to say that, while it's a competent build, I was feeling slightly disappointed by how vanilla it looks until I read this:

Now it's time to make it look like something that's not the standard FW Chaos Knight - more trophies, skulls and helmets on spikes, chains, fleshy parts, etc.

So now I'm slightly more at ease ;) I will say that I think a custom (or customised) facemask instead of the stock FW part would go a long way towards making him look more original.

As for the exhausts, that problem was the exact reason why I didn't use those on my own Knight, as I wanted to keep the carapace detachable -- I think DuskRaider has it right: Add them to the carapace! Speaking of which, what about a cockpit and pilot? You know you haven't properly gone all out on a Knight until you've included those parts, right?

As always, looking forward to your next update, buddy! :)

I got distracted again.

Some of my recent Death Guard lists include a vanilla Chaos Lord of Nurgle to force those rerolls in my backline. I'm getting a bit tired of using a stand-ing Death Guard infantry guy, so I decided to build a dedicated dude. Also, I've been hugely inspired by Doghouse, who has created a video tutorial on making truescale marines.  It's been a looong while since I did my Truescale Night Lords First Claw incarnation based on AD-B's novels - and even longer since my first attempt, a Word Bearer's Dark Apostle of Khorne. And lo and behold I still have a the third and final Lord of Contagion from the DI kit left over. So I did some work. Here's what I have so far.

bDYuS6l.jpg

8Sph4dR.jpg

The plan is to sculpt his back in Doghouse MkIII style today. I'm also making his belly so that it is held (semi-) in by one or two chains, and some skin stapled to his chest armour. Then he'll be getting a backpack and some decorative bits and bops - blight grenades, a holster, and other things, lastly there's be some pustules, and then he's ready for paint!

Sounds like a plan?

Cheers!

Replies:

@ DuskRaider: Yeah I think you just sold me on the idea. It'll take some figuring out, but option two was indeed the better one. 

@ Dantay VI (or was it XV?): Eh, that shucks. But it being a Chaosified Knight, I wouldn't know where to stick them anyway ;)

@ ElDuderino: Thanks on the Scriviner. About the legs: it's not a repose. They're a third party posable Knight legs kit. :)

@ KrautScientist: Oh you with your efficient trawler commenting. You should visit more often! Warn me of hairs before I start painting and such. ;) So let's dive in: the scriviner's feather and icon are both elements that tie it into my army: the blue is the same colour as the tongues of all my Plague Bearers and Nurglings, while the Icon is the green of my Death Guard. :) Glad you like the red! I am still on the fence about making a cockpit - it's a lot of work, but well worth the effort I think. I was going to glue the top caracpace in place to make it redundant, but now that DuskRaider has convinced me not to do that, I think I'll go for the cockpit. YAY!

@ Subtle Discord: You look here for the same reason we are all on this forum: for inspiration. Thanks for that which your thread gave to me!

@ Hungry Nustraman Lizard: PM sent! ANd yes, the arms are magentized - here's proof: ;)

hrKuqtN.jpg

I like the head, considering the overall pose. It's like he's roaring up to the Dark Gods to send him a better challenger next time. You could possibly put some partial remains of a loyalist or a rival chaos worshipper on the base to cement that kind of idea?

I think that head really works with this pose and I too generally loathe it. Curious to see how to you do his back and I'd like to see his size when compared to other Death Guard.

The Knight is coming along nicely, although I hope you're going to rough that frame up a bit. You're a braver man than I tackling the cockpit of a Nurgle Knight (although thinking more on your comments it sounds he's Undivided). You've convinced me to pick up the Maulerfiend Stacks off of eBay for my next Knight, although I just can't justify the legs as much as I hate all of my Knight being in a similar pose. The price is high enough but the month or so shipping time is the real killer. 

If you're looking to invent a Knight scheme that can be moulded to any God and doesn't look like any Legion scheme you're limited to white, grey, yellow, orange and brown. Some purples are also workable, depends on how you view the Emperor's Children scheme.

Dragonlover

The Lord of Contagion conversion is already looking brilliant That head is the perfect choice for the pose, and I love how those elaborate decorations on the shoulder pad create that extra bit of oomph for the silhouette. And since you complained, there seems to be another hair on the right side of his breastplate, near his gorget -- there, happy now? ;)

I am still on the fence about making a cockpit - it's a lot of work, but well worth the effort I think. I was going to glue the top caracpace in place to make it redundant, but now that DuskRaider has convinced me not to do that, I think I'll go for the cockpit. YAY!

I'll come out and say it in the clearest possible terms: Given the level and ambition of your work, you just have to do a cockpit and pilot, period. Everything else would feel like a copout. Trust me ;)

That being said, on top of craftsmanship angle, I think it's just fun to treat the pilot of a Knight as an actual character in your army, and think about who they are, what they look like and how that would influence their ride -- to the point where my own Traitor Knight was really started by conceptualising the pilot, although I realise that might be a slightly weird approach.

Regarding the colour scheme - and this is obviously not a paramount consideration at the moment: Focus on getting the blasted thing completely built first! - I'd say go for something bold and unique that sells the model as its own thing (and its own character), while also featuring some shout outs to both your World Eaters and Deathguard. Personally speaking, I think I'd go for bone as the predominant carapace colour, with red as secondary colour, and possibly black markings?! Bone and red will go really well with World Eaters, while the skeletal look would also work well for Death Guard. And if he's some kind of renegade Freeblade not permanently allied to either legion, looking different from the armies wouldn't even be a problem, but rather a visual advantage ;)

I came to comment on the coloration and I see the German covered most of what I was to say. I would recommend an ivory or bone as the main color with a secondary of your choice. Red would be the best as it really pops against White. I'd go with an asymmetric scheme as well, something to throw the viewer off.

Perhaps take the inspiration from Atrax and swap the black for white, see how that works.

I do have to disagree with Kraut on a couple things, though. First, I believe that choosing the scheme should be one of the first decisions when doing a project like this. I'm not big on pre-planning for anything (hence 3 kids, lol) but I'll have at least an idea of what I want to accomplish and then make any changes on the fly. Case in point, my Death Guard. I had planned the white with red iconography, but the black came to me off the cuff.

Second, I think making the pilot is a great idea but I don't think you have to do the interior. Some things are best left to the imagination and the cockpit of a Knight who's corrupted by Chaos is one of them unless you planned on doing so ahead of time.

I do have to disagree with Kraut on a couple things, though. First, I believe that choosing the scheme should be one of the first decisions when doing a project like this. I'm not big on pre-planning for anything (hence 3 kids, lol) but I'll have at least an idea of what I want to accomplish and then make any changes on the fly. Case in point, my Death Guard. I had planned the white with red iconography, but the black came to me off the cuff.

Just to be clear, I'd agree it's really important to figure out a scheme beforehand on, say, an army project. For a model like this, where the task is actually to fit it into an existing collection, I think it's equally viable to make stuff up as you go. But there's obviously no right or wrong here, just different strategies.

Second, I think making the pilot is a great idea but I don't think you have to do the interior. Some things are best left to the imagination and the cockpit of a Knight who's corrupted by Chaos is one of them unless you planned on doing so ahead of time.

See, this is very I really, really disagree, but that's mostly because I really cannot understand not wanting to add a pilot and interior. Like, at all. Doesn't your converter sense just tingle looking at that huge torso, because you want to explore what's inside it? I think it might be different with a heavily mutated or warped Knight that is obviously daemonically possessed. But for a slightly cleaner build, like the one Augustus is creating, and for a hobbyist with insane attention to detail and a competitive spirit, like our Auggs, there's really no excuse, is all I'm saying :wink:

@ Auggs: As a short addendum RE: the colour scheme, I keep thinking of something resembling, but not completely like, Morbäck's brilliant Knight here, so I'll just include the link to provide you with some extra inspiration, which is always good for a project like this ;)

Edited by KrautScientist

Wow, I had a great day with my hobby buddy Graham - he's Irish, and one of the most relaxt guys I've ever hobby'd with - this is our fourth Friday hobbying together in about five months, and we both agreed we should do it more often. Fun times.

And productive times! Even though I got distracted from my distraction project (the Chaos Lord) while I'm working on the Chaos Knight, I completed all goals I had set myself for today:

- Finish the basic sculpt for the chaos lord

- Do the first round of chaosification-sculpting on all non-chaos armour plates of the Knight

- Just begin on the basic construction of a conversion of the standard DI Bloat Drone into one with a fleshmower

Alright, first the Chaos Lord. WOW has my sculpting improved after BCK's video tutorial on how to smooth GreenStuff, where he uses canola oil as a lubricant. I used Olive Oil and found that it works just as well. And MAN did it improve my sculpting game! So a BIG, HUGE thank you to BCK for making that tutorial. I now understand his addiction to sculpting. There's a certain zen-like quality to using greenstuff in this fashion. Anyway. here's what I did so far:

His basic belly. I plan on scultping skin pulled over and stapled to the lower rim of his breastplate. And maybe add some chain to hold all his guts in. I might even cut away all plstic guts and do my own, now that I found this new trick.  

6mXO6se.jpg

BMavA7m.jpg

Here's his back. I used the Plague Spewer backpack - which I only now found out is super easy to make into a cool regular backpack: just clip the hose from the bottom. Easy.

iqWyr24.jpg

Here's his back sans backpack. For my doing, this is SUPER neat sculpting. I know there could be a lot improvement, but for a first time, this is great - and Nurgle doesn't really require super straight and smooth surfaces.

857Ri9E.jpg

And per the above request by DuskRaider a comparison picture next to a regular Death Guard Marine. He's bigger, but not by much. Such is the cool thing of the power creep! Truescale is now far easier to incorporate into your army than previously.5Lz2SEF.jpg

Anyway, I also did a lot of scultping arrows and chaos thorns on all non-crrupted armour plates of the Knight build. These will recieve another layer and some of these I will redo. 

DuXYrR1.jpg

And lastly: the start of a fleshmower conversion with a standard DI Bloat Drone as a base. I've long had the idea of using the Talos tentacle-y bits and scultping them on the drone and have a counts-as fleshmower. But then when I got the actual customizable Bloat Dron kit I realized the mower is held aloft by a pair of arms, similar to the ones on the Talos bits. So I started figuring out a way to use those. I just needed to create something to attach the mower to the arms.... and then it hit me! I had a couple half-used Storm Eagle sprues left over from the Fire Raptor and Storm Eagle projects I did earlier this year. And the landing gear proved to be just the bit I needed!!!!

yaK78CM.jpg

4YgSaLp.jpg

Whoop whoop! I'm on a roll!

Have a great weekend!

Cheers!

Replies:

@ BCK: Hmm, I really like that head, and it's perfect for this pose - he's besieging Grandfather Nurgle for his gifts! So unfortunately no can do on the head-swap request!

@ sfPanzer: Well, maybe he is? I'll name him Nostramo - he's the main antagonist in Mozart's first opera, Die Zauberflöte - and he's very much into the dark arts. Silly enlightenment era Europeans.

@ Viridia: Exactly! That's what I was aiming for. I'll consider the loyalist victim idea. I have the Wounded Space Marines somewhere...

@ DuskRaider: Roughing the frame up will be achieved with scratching and gouging it with hobby knives and scultping tools. You can get the reposable Knight legs for $8 - that's gotta be worth it. Shoot me a PM.

@ Dragonlover: Eh, I don't really agree with you there. Forté has showed during ETLIV that any colour can represent any god - he did this orange&pink Nurgle Lord, remember?

@ KrautScientist: Would you believe Peer actually peed in my Lightbox the other day!? Goddamn cat. you have already convinced me to do the interior cockpit, don;t worry. I have been keeping a resin Reaver Knight princep's throne (which I have had spare for years) as well as a Land Raider's engine block aside for just this purpose. Thanks for the colour scheme ideas! Also: WOW on that Knight of Morbäck. I hadn't seen it before and duuuuude there's so much going on there. I gotta incorporate that stuff in the Knight.

@ DuskRaider & KrautScientist: BITCHFIGHT! 

@ Biohazard: I know where you can get them for $8. Shoot me a PM. :thumbsup:

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Alright, first the Chaos Lord. WOW has my sculpting improved after BCK's video tutorial on how to smooth GreenStuff, where he uses canola oil as a lubricant. I used Olive Oil and found that it works just as well. And MAN did it improve my sculpting game! So a BIG, HUGE thank you to BCK for making that tutorial. I now understand his addiction to sculpting. There's a certain zen-like quality to using greenstuff in this fashion. Anyway. here's what I did so far:

Here's his back sans backpack. For my doing, this is SUPER neat sculpting. I know there could be a lot improvement, but for a first time, this is great - and Nurgle doesn't really require super straight and smooth surfaces.

Replies:

@ BCK: Hmm, I really like that head, and it's perfect for this pose - he's besieging Grandfather Nurgle for his gifts! So unfortunately no can do on the head-swap request!

I'm glad the tutorial is helping you improve your sculpting already! This is exactly what I was hoping for with the video and it looks great, especially the back! :D  As for the head, I can't fault the conversion maker for a bit that I don't personally care for and completely understand. 

For that price I may, but the thing is I intend to vow my Knights for Call of Chaos. So I don't know if it's feasible.

And Kraut, fight me IRL bro. But seriously, if I were to do a Knight interior at this point I'd just wait for the official cockpit to be released with the new character coming out uhh... this weekend I think?

I’m all for the cockpit taking shape, I’ve already butchered the legs into the pose I want for my last Questoris but if (who am I kidding ‘when’ ) I pick up Canis Rex, I may just give you a shout. ;)

The Lords look cool so far as well man kudos on the sculpting. It blends really well with the plastic parts :tu:

Yop Augustus !! 

Those full DG army view are truelly majestic ! The amont of work on this short period of time is just Outstanding. My hat's off to you sir ! 

As for the latter models you've made, even If I'm already drooling by thinking to the knight you work on ... I have to say that this death guard chorister is wayyyy too cool ! I'm half amuse and half disgusted at the idea of this things singing (gargling ?) happyly praises to father nurgle :) .

Keep on the good work man ! 

Malchy