++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

@Forté: Thanks mate! But pigments? The base is literally (and yes I do mean literally) drenched in pigments mixed in medical alcohol. That's why the whole base has a brownish, dirty sheen. Or didn't you mena that?

@Flint13: dead bros. :d I too am happy with how his eyes turned out. What I did was paint his eyes grey and then a black pupil, and then gave it three thin washes of black wash.

@Midnight Runner: Cool as night ;)

@Atia: Lolz. Yeah they're pretty fracked up.

@Noctus Cornix: Thanks mate! I did his flesh the way I did it because he's a Nostraman and they have super pale skin. I also wanted him to look unhealthy, sickly almost, without making the skin seem unnaturally white. So I avoided using whites and greys and just went for 1:1 GW Elf Flesh of VMC Off White, a wash of GW Nightshade Purple, then again GW Elf Flesh mixed with VMC Off White, then very thinned down GW Ogryn Flesh, and then 1:2 GW Elf Flesh & VMC Off White highlights. You don't like it? 

it might be the pictures, but i doubt it, cuz your pictures are ususally spot on :tu:

his skin doesn't look pale enough to me, he almost looks like he's got a slight tan.

i think that's what Noctus Cornix means...

Edited by Wicced

it might be the pictures, but i doubt it, cuz your pictures are ususally spot on :tu:

his skin doesn't look pale enough to me, he almost looks like he's got a slight tan.

i think that's what Noctus Cornix means...

That's exactly what I mean, actually. To be frank he looks a bit oily in how the skin tone looks, but he looks rather normal over all, perhaps a little tan like Wicced said. Nostramons are described as being deathly pale to the point they look like their made of marble, disturbingly pure white with the blue veins cobwebbed and completely visible.

It's supposed to look unnatural, or atleast that's how I've always perceived it to be. Much in the same way those of Nocturne and the Salamanders look unnatural.

Edited by Noctus Cornix

Konrad Curze is looking suitably macabre and magnificent :thumbsup:

The skin is okay to me, but maybe a little paler?

Your second World Eater banner that you were mentioning.. A weird thought but have you considered toilrt tissue paper?

Its is incredibly thin, so you could do a design on iy with pen as an outline and then with pva attach it to the banner cloth. It should hopefully be thin enough that yuo do not notice it and you then have your outlined design so you can see where all the components go and where the highlights woud be etc...

I think the model's looking excellent as is, and I am not bothered at all by the skin tone -- it matches that of your other Night Lords, and while it's obvious that you haven't gone for the extremely pale, almost white skin described in some of the books, I think that's a valid aesthetic decision -- your colour palette is simply a bit warmer than what we see on some other NL armies, which is absolutely alright.

Beyond all considerations of hue and saturation, your Night Haunter's face does have a slightly pasty look to it which I think is a great fit for the character!

Oh, and that is a pretty effective colour scheme for Solar Auxilia, by the way: You may want to hang on to that for a future project :wink:

Edited by KrautScientist

@Forté: Thanks mate! But pigments? The base is literally (and yes I do mean literally) drenched in pigments mixed in medical alcohol. That's why the whole base has a brownish, dirty sheen. Or didn't you mena that?

Sorry, I see it now. Do you use a few different colour pigments or just the one brown? I've been messing about with my bases more recently and find myself using about five or six shades in different areas to get some variation. I'll pm you a pic as it's non-PA related.

An update on the second Khorne Berzerker squad and then replies.

I finished the icon bearer and the eviscerator guy... These will probably be the last I'll finish in the coming two weeks, as after ten zerkers and the primarch I need my vehicle fix. Also I have two Predator Annhilators in store, which are both heavily kitbashed. And I'll be doing a muscle scultping turorial tomorrow at the request of Flint.

So! Here are the 'zerkers!

THe icon bearer. Unfortunately the lower end of the banner broke off below the holding hand during painting, so I had to drill a hole and pin it. It's pretty well masked, but there's still visible damage if you look closely. Unbelievable. That bit has rumaged around my bits box for more than a year and during painting it breaks. :furious:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/World%20Eaters/Berzerker%2010_zpsfdmwkt4g.jpg

This guy I love. He has an incredibly dynamic pose, like he's giving it his absolute all in a sideways swoop of the eviscerator! Mayhem!!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/World%20Eaters/Berzerkers%209_zpslo7vzhcb.jpg

Hope you like, and as always: feedback more than welcome.

Replies!

@Wicced: ah, now I see what you mean. But in this case it is the light - mostly. I have no daylight lamps, so the lighter colours on my mini's always come off as a little warmer than reality (which I found out only recently because I have almost no light colours on my mini's). But a friend told me I should do one more skin + white mix for highlights, so I'll probably do that. :thumbsup:

@The Hydra: Thanks mate - will work a little on the face!

@Noctus Cornix: Deathly pale as marble, you say? :wink:

http://www.oocities.org/marble_iran/p_Pink-Marble-SAL.jpg

Even though he's the palest, sickliest looking dude I've ever painted, and he does look like marble, I will abide thy will and highlight him up to even unhealthier standars :wink:

@dantay_xv: That is certainly an interesting technique, although I don't fully see what you mean. You mean to use a wet piece op TP as a template for airbrushing? That would be interesting, and I'll be sure to try that out on a tester. Right now, I just wanted scribbly text on the banner. 

@KrautScientist: Thank you! But pasty? I google pasty face and the results looked nothing like what I imagined you meant... :biggrin.::wink: And thanks on the solar Auxilia scheme comment. I like them too. Perhaps in the future I'll have some live ones...

@psnmario: Dude, thanks! :thumbsup:

@Radiation: Thanks mate! Happy you're on board. 

@The Hydra (2): THat might've been it!

@Forte: Thanks for the PM with an example - I'll give that technique a try on my next big model. :thumbsup:

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Haha, both of those guys rock socks!

I just can't decide which one rocks the most. 

The banner bearer is super stoic and intricate, like he has been carrying that thing for eons. 

The eviscerator guy is hilariously dynamic, like he has hurled every gram of his own body weight into that swing. I pity whatever poor bastard is on the receiving end of it :D

The berserkers look brilliant, and I do not notice the damage at all.

Ah okay I didn't know you planned to do airbrushing. I do not own one of these mythical spraying beasts and only use paintbrushes.

I struggle to do good designs on curved or wavy areas. My thought was basically to adapt BCK's cloak idea.

Using a single layer of tissue, draw out your design to the dimensions of the banner, then using a pva/water mix, stick on to the banner itself.

The tissue should be thin enough to follow every fold and contour of the banner, plus be thin enough not to be totally obvious.

As you now have a visual guide it would make doing a detailed banner a lot simpler...

However with airbrush, you may not need to try this idea.

Anyhoo, your Khorne berserkers look absolutely ace...

Excellent work on those latest berzerkers! That icon bearer is truly something to behold!

My feedback on Kurze's face may have been poorly worded. What I was trying to say was that his face has this pasty, slightly sweaty look you get with people who look unhealthy, like a feverish expression -- and I think that's a great fit for the Night Haunter. Hope that makes it clearer!

First off, I'd like to invite everyone reading this to participate in the Augustus Arena B&C Inter-Frater Hobby Challenge Event that has started yesterday. :thumbsup:

With Curze and ten Berzerkers done, I need my vehicle fix. As such I've been working on a Predator Annihilator over the last couple of days. I showed you an earlier update of this tank earlier here, but I got distracted by the Eight Legged Lord of Skulls. 

Although I absolutely love Subtle Discord's chaos trim kits, it is just an eetsy peetsy to elaborate for my Night Lords. I bought the Proditor Pattern Predator Extra Armour kit from him, and distributed the components evenly among two tanks (the other one is another Annihilator). This tank has the extra armour on the side, the other tank gets all the other parts.

That still left me with the option to do the lascannon sponsons. About three years ago, I purchased an OOP MkI Predator Destructor from Ebay, with the metal turret and sponsons. The turret was used for my Predator with Plasma Destroyer. The sponsons, however, have been rummaging around my vehicle bits box for quite some time now, and I thought I'd use them. I didn't have the lascannons, so I used the lascannons from the Dark Talon kit. These fit quite nicely, and I only needed a little greenstuff to make the transition smooth. 

There's still a lot to be done - I still need to do a lot of trophies, perhaps some pre-painting weathering, and definitely some riveting work, but the major hassle will be trying to fix the sponsons to the tank (they're poster buddy'd on right now)  seeing as I can't seem to find the metal plate with which to affix the sponson to the original predator...

This is what I have so far.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/2015-02-14%2017.07.46_zpskebswsw7.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/2015-02-14%2017.08.04_zps8fkwodwm.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/2015-02-14%2017.08.14_zpspidk8kaw.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/2015-02-15%2014.19.28_zpslpw98fku.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/2015-02-15%2014.20.26_zps62zrdeht.jpg

What do you think?

Replies!

@Teetengee: Thanks mate! I really like the model too. :biggrin.:

@The_Chaplain: Cheers - he's throwing everything into that sweep doesn't he? 

@Noctus Cornix: Hehehe a little bit of trolling never hurt anyone :wink:

@Flint13: Hilariously dynamic? BTW I wonder if Space Marines even wear socks in their armour. Or is it just the black carpace all over?

@Wicced: I shall do, buddy!

@dantay_xv: Ah, gotcha! And I thoroughly encourage you to get one of these 'mythical spraying beasts'. It has to be for you, but I'll never go back. And there's tons and tons of video tutorials on the net. The banners couldn't be simpler to paint exactly because they have contours and curves - they're an airbrusher's friend :thumbsup:

@MrBear: Thanks buddy! I'm happy to see you are on track as well with the 33d!

@KrautScientist: Thanks on the 'zerkers. :thumbsup:  Ahaa the sickly kind of pasty. Well, good! 

@The Hydra: I couldn't agree more with you mate. I've seen some awesome renditions that looked radically different from mine. The IB is indeed from the CoH command kit.

@Grizzly_bear: :thumbsup: Cheers matey!

Edited by Augustus b'Raass