++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

That's yours???!?!?!!?!?  Dude that Cyrion shows up at every google or pinterest search for 'Night Lords'. I've been admiring him for years! He's totally the inspiration for the entire squad I'm doing right now. Wow. And your Talos... hotdamn I'm almost sorry for seeing it, because now I either copy your stuff or make something that just won't do, coolness-wise. Urgh 

Yeah, he's mine. I started them back when Soul Hunter was first released, but lost interest/got distracted (because truescale is too much like hard work :P ). That's the thing with modelling characters that have been defined in literature and art, it's almost impossible to avoid some level of replication. I know that if I decide to continue my First Claw project I'll be borrowing your idea of the Chaos Knight piece on the heavy bolter and probably some of Variel's details too.

Looking forward to your next update :)

I'm struck down by a bad case of pneumonia, caught because I was so hot during my flu last week I opened the window. It's fragged up, but has also given me some time to re-read the Night Lords trilogy. And lo and behold, on page 115 of the omnibus, there's a description where Septimus is looking at First claw in the reflection of the Blackened 's canopy. And he describes all four of their helmets in detail: origin and marks. THis gives me a great opportunity to make my rendition of first as close to the description as possible:

Talos MkV, with studs, painted skull and the Nostraman rune for Soul Hunter

Uzas MkIII, with a bloody heand smeared across the face plate by himself.

Xarl MkVII, stolen from a Dark Angel champion - giving me the opportunity to include a Dark Angel helmet wing on his trophy chain

and, a big surprise to me:

Cyrion MkII.

So I'm giving Uzas' a MkIII helmet and his current helmet to Cyrion. The bunny-earless Khorne helemt is as close to a MkII helmet as I can get without actually buying one, plus the WE helmet upgrade pack also features MkII helmets with a vertical slit. It also gives me a nice canvas to draw the 'lightning tears' on somewhere.

What do you think?

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/2015-02-24%2016.46.16_zpsbfdett46.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/2015-02-24%2016.46.29_zpsp2j2oubm.jpg

Replies:

@Midnight Runner: Thanks mate, yeah that idea by krautScientist was the one that completed Mercutian.

@MrBear: Looking forward to your 2nd claw in your beautfiul paint style mate.

@Red Skullz: Haha welcome brother! I'm happy you enjoyed everything. Take a look at my shocase (see my siggy for links) where all the painted stuff is.

@The Hydra: Mercutian :tu: Apologies for the pettiness, but you're dealing with a hard-core fan here. ;) And if you ever call Cyrion, Xarl, Talos and Variel filler characters again I'll come over and flay your cat. Or dog. Or canary. Whatever.

@Kriegsmacht: Cheers mate! Yeah still wainting on the bits to arrive!

@kizzdougs: Replication is irrelevant. I really enjoy scouring the books for details I haven't seen with others. Cyrion's MkII helmet for instance, I haven't seen anywhere.

@Teetengee: Aha! Well, I'll give that a looksee! :D

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Hmm, I don't know. Personally, I would have stayed with the 'zerker helmet on Uzas, but I can buy into your reason for changing that. But that helmet, while definitely cool, just isn't Cyrion for me. Maybe it's due to his somewhat slaaneshi leanings, but it just feels wrong -- I think it would look like you have two versions of Uzas in the squad. The first helmet choice was much better -- I'd just ignore the books in this respect, to be honest.

Sorry, not very constructive of me, is it? ;)

First of all, great rendition of First Claw, great conversions! One doesn't need to look twice to recognize these guys:) As for Cyrion's helmet, the current one just looks to khornish to me, it's hard to avoid when one of every four world eaters seems to sport one:) Maybe you could fill up the slit with GS and try carving new ones like the standard mkII helms?

(Edit since my phone hasn't learned english yet)

Edited by ElDuderino

@The Hydra: Mercutian :tu: Apologies for the pettiness, but you're dealing with a hard-core fan here. ;) And if you ever call Cyrion, Xarl, Talos and Variel filler characters again I'll come over and flay your cat. Or dog. Or canary. Whatever.

Lol first part was autocorrect shenanigans, and I have a Nostramo Lion, you can try flaying him if you like.

Maybe it cos I tend to model lot more in the 30k legion sense but I like Cyrions helm, it doesn't strike me to much as berserker helm.

Edited by The Hydra

Mercutian is finished. I figured I'd better start with him, seeing as he's the least 'controversial' of the claw. ;) I used a technique of weathering the base that was taught to me by forte: stippling powder on with a large drybrush, using different colours on different patches. I like it! What do you think of Mercutian?

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Showcase%20Night%20Lords/2015-02-25%2022.42.29_zpsnih333af.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Showcase%20Night%20Lords/2015-02-25%2022.42.35_zpsywpupjnz.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Showcase%20Night%20Lords/2015-02-25%2022.42.42_zpsq9jqnzna.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Showcase%20Night%20Lords/2015-02-25%2022.42.48_zpsswwpvklv.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Showcase%20Night%20Lords/2015-02-25%2022.42.53_zpsbqt27z5v.jpg

Now, concerning the 'helmet controversy' (please take that title with a huge grain of salt). I understand that the Khorne Berzerker helmet sans bunny ears looks 'Khornate' - but that is I believe because A. as duderino has pointed out, every one in four plastic zerkers has one, and B. the biggest 'opponent' of that helmet is himself huuuugely biased as he's about the biggest Khorne collector on the block here. No wonder mister KrautScientist sees everything through a red, Khornate haze. ;) 

In all serious though, the reason I went with the swap is because as both Atia and The Hydra have pointed out, that helmet is a variant MkII helmet. I'm not sure yet if I'll use that one specifically, or a 'normal' MkII helemt, or even a WE MkII variant helmet, the one with the spikes on top (both of which I've now ordered of off eBay). To be honest, that last one actually looks more Slaaneshi to me than any of the others (remember the lower half has a downward slope, which is not evident from the forge world pics)

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/Capture_zpsg5ltfmag.jpg

plus there have been plenty old Slaaneshi mini's with a helmet with a vertical slit like this, so I don't think I'll have any problems making him look not-Khornate. Also, it'll be blue! :tu:

Replies:

@Atia: Thanks! Those are exactly what I was talking about. :D

@KrautScientist: I just want to be perfectly canon. And yes, you are being constructive, I just don't agree with you on this point. I don't 'feel' the wrongness, as I just don't correlate armour types to specific legions that much, so I'm good with Night Lords in MkIII, DG in MkIV, and WE in MkVI. So to me MkII and MkIII don't look Khornate any more than MkIV or any other type does. To me it's about the rest of the model, and how it fits. Don't forget: and even though the Crusade and Heresy both still ring through your Khornate Army through their rejection of the nails, those times are closer to First Claw by eons: the Heresy was only 300 years ago to 10th company.
Don't you think that the WE MkII with the spikes would be able to pass as a slaaneshi helmet? Plus, not to worry: I figured something else to show Cyrion's allegiance ;) 

@Lord Haelim Lev: I can only engcourage (re)reading the trilogy!

@ElDuderino: Thanks for the reply mate. As stated above, I am looking at other variants of MkII. I like the one with the spikes :D

@The Hydra: I'm on the same page as you on this. All Legions use all armour types. If anything, the traitor legions where better equipped (in resources, supplies and in more modern gear) than the loyalists though Horus' usurping the supply lines of the mechanicum, and thus MkII would actually be more associated with the loyalists than with traitors like the XII legion. :tu: 

Oh, I won't deny my bias -- in fact, I am usually wearing it plainly :wink:

But seriously, let me address a number of points you raised, if I may: I am not trying to talk you into something here, and if you stick with that helmet afterwards, that's fine because it's your model. Even so...

• my problem with the helmet may not even be that it's too Khornate, but rather that it's too blunt, too primitive. It just doesn't fit my vision of Cyrion who, aside from the fact that he may or may not be pledged to Slaanesh to some degree, always seemed like a rather "refined", for lack of a better word, character to me. Now I realise ADB gave him an Mk II helmet, as it seems, and if perfectly canon is what you are going for, then fine. It's just that the terror squad helmet felt immediately "right" for Cyrion, for some ephemeral reason -- you look at him and think: "Yeah, that's Cyrion alright!", and the new version doesn't have that -- but yeah, just my two cents.
  • regarding the Timeline for First Claw, is it really as clear-cut as you describe it? I realise that Talos and friends talk about the Heresy just being 300 years ago for them, but I always took that as ADB's take on time flowing very differently for those who spent any amount of time within the Great Eye. To wit, Abbadon already seems to be in the seat of power he has in 40k, and Huron makes an appearance, and the Badab War only happened in M41, right? So, the whole passage of time thing seems quite ambiguous to me, at the very least.
  • I don't really associate certain armour types with certain legions, and if I came across like that, I would like to clarify. It's rather that I associate certain visual traits with certain characters (see above). All in all, the FW Mk. 2 variant helmet you posted may be better for Cyrion than the plastic zerker helmet -- but not by much.

Anyway, I won't labour the point any longer, because I've really said my piece. On a more productive note, Mercutian is looking  absolutely fantastic! :smile.:

Edited by KrautScientist

this is awesome! Mercutian looks ace!I actually wanted to the same thing ever since I've read the books. I reckon they some of the best 40k books around.

It's been a while since I've actually read them but something you might want to add could be urzas skin cloak?!

Variel is done. This guy was a joy to paint. Really gave me an opportunity to use a thinned Blood for the Blood God on all the awesome bloody parts. I'm particularly pleased with how how apron turned out. All bloody. :tu: ;)

Hope you like!!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Showcase%20Night%20Lords/2015-02-26%2014.16.22_zpsxcvbxogd.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Showcase%20Night%20Lords/2015-02-26%2014.16.31_zps9dvetnak.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Showcase%20Night%20Lords/2015-02-26%2014.16.37_zpsu0bqndrm.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Showcase%20Night%20Lords/2015-02-26%2014.16.43_zpsdpe7jpuv.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Showcase%20Night%20Lords/2015-02-26%2014.16.50_zpsbrlwh1iq.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Showcase%20Night%20Lords/2015-02-26%2014.16.15_zpsdcscvxwi.jpg

Replies:

@KrautSCientist: To answer your first and thrid point: Actually I agree that the lower mark helmets look somewhat brutish, and I am hesitant to use a MkII for Cyrion - for the exact reasons you have so eloquently stated. I just hope I can make the pictured variant look 'knightly', if you catch my drift. I too was very surprised to read that Curion wears a MkII helmet, but what's a guy gonna do: AD-B wrote it as such, and that's how these guys are gonna be. ;) About your second point, the timeline being fuzzy: I always assumed your warband was true 40K as I've seen many corrupted machines and marines, so I figured they'd have been in the warp longer. My take on the timeline is that even in the 40th millenium, the Horus Heresy has only been 300 years ago for 10th company, just because they've been on a couple of warp currents that have left them 'skipping' periods? Hence, Abaddon could have been scheming for the full 10,000 years, while they've only been reaving for about three centuries... does that make sense?

@Midnight Runner: Well, have I continued to be on key with Variel? :tu:

@Kriegsmacht: Tadaaaa. Hope you enjoy Variel too. 

@kizzdougs: The chains is from here. I'm happy you continued working on Talos, and I'd like to think I spurred you on a little? :D

@hushrog: Cheers mate!

@-Brutus-: Another wording of 'ace'... Et tu, Brute? ;) Thanks for the tip, but Uzas (not Urzas) has a skin cloak: it's hanging from his left shoulder pad. :tu: Is it too small?

Did you seriously paint that model in 24h? I'm speechless!

Really sweet gold (I can't tell if its some Vallejo Gold or f its actually NMM!) and the armour is a prime example of layering: congratulations!

Did you seriously paint that model in 24h? I'm speechless!

Really sweet gold (I can't tell if its some Vallejo Gold or f its actually NMM!) and the armour is a prime example of layering: congratulations!

Well, I painted him in the last 24 hours? I am a pretty fast painter, but that's mostly because I cheat with a. the gold (Vallejo Liquid Gold which gives a perfect cover in one stroke) and b. an airbrush (hence the layering). I'm starting Uzas now, I'll post him as soon as he's finished an photographed). 

Edited by Augustus b'Raass