++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

I can't believe I'm saying this, but "A Daemon possessed the gunship and is mutating its airframe into a flesh-and-blood body for itself," actually makes more sense than "The Night Lords waste time mounting fresh bodies onto their gunships, to replace flesh-and-blood decorations that were lost every time the gunship flew faster than 400 km/h."

http://gifimage.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/fingers-in-ears-gif-9.gif

Alright, final stages of the Fire Raptor build. 

I added skull and helmet trophies:

Odfjzwx.jpg

8i9lWpg.jpg

And a daemon skull up front, ....

mXBjMxr.jpg

...which together with the rectracted landing gear 'feet'....

BHLAI07.jpg

...will receive some bat wings, so as to make them into Night Lords icons. 

Additionally, I will add a few Fleshy trophies. Just for the ROOL OF COOL

Cheers!

@BCK: Really? Damn. I hope someone commissions me to do one (@Ranker: hunch hunch, wink wink) so I can dispell this. :tongue.:

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Fantastic content Augustus! Really enjoying the Fire Raptor build.

So glad i dropped by, this is a great day, the old band is getting back together again! Merry Christmas. 

I have many questions for you but I will ask only two:

Who do you use to host your images?

and secondly, 

are you on instagram?

Good to see you again.

I said chain up a Dark angels on that rooftop so that he can enjoy the vue and all ;)

Nice placement of the spikes and sigils as for the flayed skin I'm for the rule of cool..but for me there is no need ..first you Land, then you flay, you parade with you pimped Fire raptor casting the scream of the desperat citizens, smelling the sweetness of Burning bodys in the morning and Finaly you fly away and do it all over again... Life is so beautiful :D

Edited by malcharion

Haha true dat, malchy!

@ BrotherJim: I nowadays use Imgur to host my pictures. I used to use Photobucket, but they screwed everyone over majestically and their service is abismal. I still need to transfer all my pictures over to Imgur, but seeing as my thread is 150+ pages long, I doubt I will get to that very soon. 

Anyway, flesh trophies and Night lord symbols done!

Here's the flesh trophies:

90ljDpb.jpg

Pu34jOJ.jpg

And the last one, on the right wing tip, and the beginnings of the base:
ws9sUM0.jpg

Here's the frontal NIght Lords symbol:

YhL0gno.jpg

and lastly, the -by now mandatory- retracted landing gear with Nigh Lords 'stamps' :D

zOzyOZD.jpg

Hope you like! Thanks for looking and commenting! 

Looking like the killer it is meant to be! The skull and helmet trophies are a great touch. I added some spiked skull trophies to a deredeo I have and want to keep it up with my chaos vehicles but I need to learn how you got the ends pointed so nicely. I really want to add those trophies to my vehicles, terminators, and some marines but I am struggling with getting a nice point. The fleshy bits are cool too and I one should never argue with the rule of cool...especially in a realm like 40k.

@ Honda: Bless you! Wait, what's wrong with the storm eagle?

O5vj6wE.gif

This gif is perfect.

For any flaws the Fire Raptor has, the Storm Eagle is (or was) noted as being worse.

It is by far, BY FAR, the worst kit I have ever built, the most frustrating kit I ever built, and the ONLY kit in over 20 years of hobby life that I had to walk away from MULTIPLE times, out of fear I would grab a hammer, and destroy it before I finished building.

You may not find it now as its old, but there used to be threads discussing how soul crushing that kit was to build.

For any flaws the Fire Raptor has, the Storm Eagle is (or was) noted as being worse.

It is by far, BY FAR, the worst kit I have ever built, the most frustrating kit I ever built, and the ONLY kit in over 20 years of hobby life that I had to walk away from MULTIPLE times, out of fear I would grab a hammer, and destroy it before I finished building.

You may not find it now as its old, but there used to be threads discussing how soul crushing that kit was to build.

I thought you pulled those words straight from my mind (minus the amount of years). I remember getting the kit and two pieces of paper that served as "instructions" and constantly going online to see how others went about theirs. There were many times where I thought to smash up what I had built and then turn it into a crashed flyer for terrain.

Cheers guys. A little tutorial.

Hushrong asked how I got the spikes I use for my trophies so sharp. The secret is this:

Just 2cm long, 1mm thick steel nails. 

q1ATyyn.jpg

First, you drill a 1mm hole where you want the trphy to be.

ln4guJg.jpg

Then, you drill a 1mm hole in a skull or a helmet or whatever.

3FBuRMt.jpg

Where the spike will exit the trophy, scar the exit hole with your hobby knife, so it looks like cracks.

dRIZzfW.jpg

Next, put the nail through the trophy.

eg0M2YR.jpg

Then, you cut of the head of the nail, about 5mm from the trophy:

NXPZgaJ.jpg

Put some superglue in the nail end.

zrAenZY.jpg

And lastly, push the nail into the hole you drilled.

nZXg2Xy.jpg

Done! You can do this for any kind of trophy. Make sure to mix up how they are spiked on the nails. Some through the eyes, others through the side, and a couple through the top of the heads. Variety is key. Also, be carefull not to make things symmetrical across the kit.

oUxyQfd.jpg

Hope this helps!

Replies!

@ Atia: OF COURSE! WHy didn't I think of know that

@hushrong: Hpe this tutorial helps, buddy!

@ guardian31: Thanks! They were a lot of fun to sculpt, too!

@ Ranker: So glad you're enjoying yourself here and that you like what I'm doing for you. :) Hope you get well soon! Also, if you're serious about the Spartan and the Storm Eagle, we should have a FB chat :)

@ Scribe: Wait, the Storm Eagle is still available, right? What do you mean "you may not find it now"?

@ hushrong: CHALLENGE ACCEPTED

The threads which decried the Storm Eagle Augustus, are very old. From multiple other forums and blogs around the web, thats all I'm saying. :]

At the time of its release people literally thought it was the worst kit ever delivered by FW. The warps, the gaps, the broken parts, it was a DISASTER.

I quite seriously took days, holding the parts under hot water, filling gaps, and just losing my mind, over how bad that kit was.

That said, I am a mere shadow of the hobbyist you and others on this esteemed board are, so perhaps my struggles will not mirror your experience. :] 

Ahh yes the great photobucket debacle, spoilt my threads aswell, though admittedly mine aren't as long as yours! Still such a major hassle for everyone to try to salvage our images. I use imgur aswell but was hoping for something simpler. I've been thinking abut making you-tube videos.

But obviously I just want to keep a nice thread here at the B&C.

Anyway nice work again on the raptor, great to see you just use legitimate nails, I came to the same conclusion myself so I'm happy that's the accepted technique.

Thanks again!

Nails.

You. Used. Nails.

That's genius. I am over here like some apprentice black smith trying to cut paper clip ends into points after hammering them did nothing. I feel like Wimp Lo from Kung Pow, who was trained incorrectly in Kung Fu on purpose, as a joke. Seriously though, thank you for sharing that! Like I said, I have some CSM that need trophies and that tutorial will help immensely.

Also, the Storm Eagle. It is a cursed STC. Many have tried it and failed. Fewer have built it but are now as hollow as its emptied fuselage. I don't know if they ever improved the mold like I heard they did from some tanks and the fire raptor but you have been warned my friend.

The best build log of it was by a french fellow on Dakkadakka. He fixed, built, and improved on it seamlessly. I do believe he has gone insane by now..

Good job on the trophies. I suspect the pilot had the following conversation before they were mounted, though.

Possessed Fire Raptor: "Hit me!"

The Night Lords pilot punches the instrument panel.

Possessed Fire Raptor: "Ow! You pansy, I mean mount another trophy on my hull!"

Night Lords pilot: "After you burned away the last eight skulls we mounted on you? Hell no! Our time- and our slaves- are too precious to waste on making you look pretty."

Possessed Fire Raptor: "I didn't burn off those skulls, the atmosphere did when I entered it! Now obey me, or I will digest you within my cockpit!"

Night Lords pilot: "Then the Magos will declare you a 'defective machine,' and dismantle you for the parts to fix the warband's other gunships, before melting down your hull for scrap metal!"

Possessed Fire Raptor (cockpit lights glaring at the pilot): "..."

Night Lords pilot (glaring at the instrument panel): "..."

Dark Mechanicus Magos: "For the Machine God's sake, will you two compromise in a logical manner? Daemon, can you expend Warp Charges to project a psychic shield that will protect your trophies from the heat and shock of atmospheric reentry? Pilot, if the Daemon extends the psychic shield to protect you and your flight crew, will you consent to replace the lost skulls?"

Possessed Fire Raptor: "But I need those Warp Charges to make myself shine bright, and shame those newfangled Stormravens with my brilliance!"

Night Lords pilot (facepalms): "I wonder if the XIII Legion's gunships ever give their pilots the headaches this Fire Raptor is giving me."

Anyway. I didn't have time to paint these last couple f days, so I started building the second Land Raider of the commission. And lo and  behold I couldn't stop myself and finished the build! Woopsie!

I tried to make it a bit dissimilar from the MkIIb kit, besides the standard kit. This one doesn't use any spikes racks from the chaos spiky bits sprue, has more helmets, and a lot more flesh trophies. I like that. It also uses the new FW Night Lords doors, which are far cooler, imo. It's manetized in the same way as the MkIIb Raider, with the havoc launcher, search light, and smoke launchers being interchangeable, and storeable in the ramp (which also works).

Have a looksee:

2u6hyp8.jpg

bbDiVsR.jpg

XTeMVfq.jpg

sqbXa92.jpg

fm1vuA0.jpg

Thanks for looking and your comments, guys! It's what keeps me rolling!

Replies!

@ Scribe: Ah right, fair enough. I like the challenge. BTW you can achieve the same level. My stuff is just experience from doing (ad watching a lot of YouTube videos). :wink:

@ BrotherJim: Cheers! Yeah nails is definitely the way to go. :smile.: Just be careful when handling the miniature. It wouldn't be the first time that I went BFTBG during a game.

@ hushrong: haha sometimes the hardest things to come up with are the most obvious. You probably had that ''duh!" moment when you read the post. Hey, we all had those, and it won't be the last time we experience it. :smile.: Thanks for the tip on the Storm Eagle post on DakkaDakka. I went ahead and looked it up, but unfrotunately it suffered from photobucket shenanigans.... :sad.:

@ BubbleMcGub: go right ahead, my friend!

@ Bjorn Firewalker: Hahaha  you can't let it go, can you? Alright, I'll bite. Let's talk realism. Do you honestly think that this type of vehicle, with the aerodynamics of a brick, would actually fly? Let alone at supersonic speeds? You are sorely mistaken. Suppose by some miracle it could, because of some incredible material tensile strength combined with extremely efficient engine output, then it would still burn up during atmospheric re-entry. It's just impossible from a physics standpoint to keep something with those angles from breaking up, because the structural and molecular integrity of the materials cannot possible remain because of superheating and sheer pressure. So the miniature itself is a concession to the rool of cool. And as such, drawing the line at the realism of flesh trophies is completely arbitrary. So please, go ahead and draw that line there, and I'll go ahead and do the same - just somewhere a little cooler! :tongue.: ;)

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

It's night lords. Skinning and flaying is the legion official pastime. I don't think they would ever consider playing with trophies a waste of time. Also nothing saying they don't also have some good old tanning agents that don't harden the skins to something more resilient as once a campaign has undertaken orbital decent then should be mostly working in the atmosphere unless a serious relocation is needed.

Lastly these 'aircraft' clearly don't fly by conventional lift from wings so whatever field allows for flight to be possible could well offer some form of protection close to the hull even in orbital decent. The same protection that likely removes the need for fragile re-entry ablative heat shielding.

The new land raider is looking great. The additions of all the trophies are going to make this a real treat when painted. The new legion doors also look good on there too. When some of those new door sculpts came out I was worried they'd stick too far out. Glad to see them used and disproving that. And can you imagine how bad-:censored: that will look painted with blood coming out of those eye sockets?

*Did I really just write blood coming out of those eye sockets like its a good thing?

@ hushrong: haha sometimes the hardest things to come up with are the most obvious. You probably had that ''duh!" moment when you read the post. Hey, we all had those, and it won't be the last time we experience it. :smile.: Thanks for the tip on the Storm Eagle post on DakkaDakka. I went ahead and looked it up, but unfrotunately it suffered from photobucket shenanigans.... :sad.:

Well, I am thankful you posted that. I am going to go to a hardware store and stock up on those nails. I'm sure they come in a bulk box so I'll have enough for all the armies of chaos.:happy.:

And sadly a lot of great images are lost to Photobucket. I would honestly check my old laptop for a saved link but I am sure once I built the Storm Eagle I purged anything web related to it.