++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

Sweet Jeebus in a chicken basket you are a painting machine!

I am SO stealing "Sweet Jeebus in a chicken basket"  Thank you.

Augustus, I'm sure you answered this somewhere a long the way, but what is your formula for the yellow? Its pretty stunning.

Wow ! I love this heavy Tank and I was wondering if I should take one myself ..You totaly convince me ! This painting job is awesome, the weathering is great too ! And needless to say that your devestator sergent once painting is far beyond expectation :o one of my favorite model on this thread. Keep it comming man ;)

for the time scale that's amazing, I didn;t notice the back until others pointed it out but it's cool you've fixed it. I would say the weapon barrels also seam a bit clean and shiny. But great work and you never compromise on quality despite churning these guys out. 

Wow! Thanks, everyone, for the mutlitude of comments! Many of you noticed the lack of weathering on the rear of the Typhon, and some noticed the lack of smoke-  and heat stains on the barrel of the gun. So I fixed that yesterday after posting the tank, and took pictures of it today. I also did some detail shots of, well, details. :smile.:

Smoke (black) and heat (blue) stains on the barrel end.

Detail shot of the iconography on the shield.
Left, top to bottom: Chapter Badge, Legion Number, Imperial Aquila, Gold Tower symbol to signify participation in the Defence of Terra.
Right, top to bottom: Bas Relief Legion Symbol, Templar Badge to signify veteran status

You'll also notice the concave angle of the port side tracks. This unfortunately, is an issue I could not for the life of me resolve without creating a massive gap between the hull and the tracks. 

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/temporary_zpskgx6vxpr.jpg

Weathering and smoke stains on the rear

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/temporary_zpsvq6pxpr7.jpg

To add to the feel of the tank being on Campaign, I added some gas/water canisters on top of the tank. :smile.:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/temporary_zpsyd0vufvl.jpg

Again, in an attempt to convey a sense of being on campaign, I added some rubberized cloth and some rust-damaged towing cables 

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/temporary_zpswzogzzxa.jpg

As this tank is active after the heresy, I decided I wanted it to have a 40K copula - so I removed the vision slits from the raised area and dremelled out the resin copula, to make room for the plastic 40K design.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/temporary_zpskurwgluj.jpg

Again, thanks for looking! Your comments - more even than your likes - are most welcome and motivational. :smile.:

Replies!

@ rednekkboss: Haha bring them to me and it shall be done. 

@ lionofjudah: BOOM! :wink:

@ Kierdale: Thanks buddy! Yeah, I clanged this one out.

@ SalvationOfReason: Eh, no worries, buddy!  

@ Sgt. Blank: Cheers, mate - that was fast, indeed - even for me?

@ TheOneTrueZon: Like rednekkboss, I'll steal that one. 

@ Race Bannon: That's really nice of you to say, buddy! Thanks! It's only fair to post my efforts, after mooching off all the inspirational blogs on here, wouldn't you say?

@ Biohazard: Thanks, friend. When can we see another character of yours?

@ rednekkboss: The recipe for yellow is fairly simple: GW Averland Sunset as a base. Then I use my airbrush to shade all corners with a 1:1 mix of GW Averland Sunset and VMA Hull Red. For non-vehicle miniatures, I then give it a light, 80o downward zenithal spray of very thinned-down GW Averland Sunset again. 

@ coldfyre: YAS! That's exactly what I was going for (both the weathering and the inspiration), so I'm glad it worked out :smile.:

@ malcharion: Get one! They're awesome to paint and to play with. Building though.... not so much. Although with the recent casts having the tracks sculpted on already, that issue is lessened.

@ Mechanist: Glad you like it. I agree it's not perfect at all, but I just had to finish it, and it was really bothering me that I had procrastinated on it so much. Do you like the barrel like this? ^^

@ Sagentus: I assume you meant the barrel and not the turret, so I hope you like what I did to it. :smile.:

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Yeah, when I gave my March of the Legions Imperial Fist an Anvillus power pack everybody kept asking, "why does he have a Chaos back-pack?"... pretty annoying :rolleyes:

The Typhon looks excellent! The weathering is particularly great :tu:

@ Mechanist: Glad you like it. I agree it's not perfect at all, but I just had to finish it, and it was really bothering me that I had procrastinated on it so much. Do you like the barrel like this? ^^

Before it looked excellent but the very clean assorted gun barrels stood out like it wasn't quite finished, now it looks completed and is a fantastic addition.

Have the lascannon barrels have had some heat staining or something as well it's hard to see from the photo?

As for perfect, only slayer sword winners get close to that but for a gaining piece I would rate it at a very high standard and worth entering into a GD with a good chance of a finalist pin, to think it got from base coat to this in a few days is a great achivement.  

One more thing about teh Typhon. As it has the option of no sponsons, and I foresee games where that might be preferable to sending 40 points on them, I thought I´d make some cool looking covers for them.

Enter a 25mm slottabase and some sand paper to make the top smooth, some greenstuff-milliput mix, and a big old magnet, and of course a Fist icon from the GW site (sadly, they've been discontinued... :sad.:):
EDIT: This slottabase as sponson substitute idea is not mine. I think I got it from either BCK or from kizzdougs, over a year ago.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/temporary_zps3hwb0fli.jpg

And here's how they look on the sides of the tank:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/temporary_zps2pbkh6ju.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/temporary_zpsqp2dgc4h.jpg

Hope you like :smile.: Thanks for looking and as always - comments much appreciated!

Cheers!

Replies:

@ Biohazard: That sounds good to me. Looking forward to your work!

@ kizzdougs: I know right? While it's just an older mark. Oh well. "Don't be annoyed, just surprised."is what my dad used to say. Thanks for the comment :smile.: :thumbsup:

@ Mechanist: The lascannon barrels are matt black, so no heat staining. Plus, lascannons being short for laser cannons, I never thought of lascannons as generating heat in the barrel, only in the power source... But that's just my interpretation.  Thanks for the kind words, dude. You're right, I do paint for gaming, but strive for the highest standard on my miniatures.

@ Brother Chaplain Kage: Oh man, that's a toughie. But who can blame you? Those tanks look awesome. :wink: They're also pretty good in the game, but seeing as you no longer play the game, that's kinda moot. :biggrin.:

@ Brother Chaplain Kage: Oh man, that's a toughie. But who can blame you? Those tanks look awesome. :wink: They're also pretty good in the game, but seeing as you no longer play the game, that's kinda moot. :biggrin.:

But not playing only gives me more freedom to do stuff with them that isn't legal in the game! Like the pintle-mounted choom on my Sicaran Venator or the autocannon hull weapon on my Macharius. :biggrin.:

As for my upcoming Typhon, I only wish I could have ordered the older version with the separate tracks to make it a lot easier to put the viny tracks I prefer on it.

Edited by Brother Chaplain Kage

Holy Stromboli! That looks sweet!

I also would like some tutorials or even pointers for backpacks. I have built a missile launcher marine using the Calth bits but I changed the pose ever so slightly. Long story short backpacks get in the way of the rear of the launcher and I feel like I made a huge mistake. I'll pm you if that would be alright?

Thanks guys! I started painting the last five-man combat squad in the SKyhammer Annihilation Force on which I'm working for the tournament that's going to be on next Saturday. 

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/temporary_zps0gk0cab8.jpg

It´s the following list:
Skyhammer Annihilation Force Formation (1000 points / restrictions: only one CAD, Formation or Formation Detachment allowed)

- Devastator Squad (Sergeant w/Signunm, 8 Marines, Imperial Space Marine, 4 Grav Cannons, Drop Pod)

- Assault Squad (Sergeant w/Meltabombs, 9 marines, 2 flamers, Jump Packs)

- Devastator Squad (Sergeant w/Signunm, 9 Marines, 4 Grav Cannons, Drop Pod)

- Assault Squad (Sergeant w/Meltabombs, 9 marines, 2 flamers, Jump Packs)

All units will be combat Squad-ted before the battle, with the weapons distributed equally. The Imperial Space Marine will most likely go in the combat squad that includes the Sergeant, for the signum, to ensure low toughness character (monstrous creatures?) kills.

This list worked great in combination with my buddy's Harlequin/Ynnari melee/psychic list. Unfortunately, the tournament was cancelled. So now I'm going to my local store, which also hosts a 1000 points army without restrictions (except no LoW or FW). And the above list on it's own is a bit lackluster. So I'll probably take Heavy Bolters in the Dev squads (making great use of Bolter Drill), and Eviscerators on the Assault Marines, in combination with some grav-biker formation combinations.

There's no time to paint those Heavy Bolter Devastator Squads anymore, though, so that will be the next large project. But before I'll go do that, I need a bit of a break from infantry - perhaps a Mortis MkIV Dreadnought? :biggrin.:

Cheers!

Replies: 

@ Race Bannon: Can you please stop humbling me with those heaps of praise? :eek: :blush.: I do appreciate your comments though, seriously! 

@ Noctus Cornix: Do you want her number? 

@ BCK: I know right? It's why I envy you. I'd love to give my sergeants all kinds of cool wargear, but oints-wise that makes no sense at all.

@ helterskelter: That's bloody nice of you to say! :smile.:

@ The Traitor: Cheers, buddy. I'm quite pleased with those sponson options, too. 

@ hushrong:Sure buddy! I'd be happy to help you out :smile.:

@ KrautScientist: Thanks! That's a very nice way to describe the yellow. (I always stutter something about 'warm, yet lively', when I try to describe the yellow of my fists...