++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

If a cat were the inspiration to paint librarians, then the cat's out of the bag. As I stated earlier, I went on a bit of a librarian-buying spree a while back. They've been all neatly stored in a blister pack in the box that says 'Imperial Fists' for months now, waiting for my getting inspired to paint them. That is now happening. So I build two more of them:

First up is the second metal Librarian I bought, the twin of the one with the force staff. I wanted to keep this guy similarly simple like his bro, as I have another unit of Centurions coming up and I'm a stickler for continuity. ;)

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/temporary_zpsoput8tvy.jpg

Second is a conversion of the Deathwatch Librarian from the deathwatch game. Originally that miniature is from a Blood Angels successor, so I used some etched brass to mask the blood drops and the =][= iconography. I gave him a banner, as I see him as young and impetuous - perhaps preferring to lead from the front, joining assault squads etc. Hmmm, as I'm writing this, I got the idea of magnetizing his back pack, so that I could switch it out for a Jump Pack perhaps. Would that be cool?

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/temporary_zpskh1tdgoz.jpg

Let me know what you think, and if I should get the second guy a Jump Pack or not?!

Replies!

@ Mitsman: Great to hear that you're inspired by what I share here! You made my day, buddy - I cant ask for a better compliment. :) About the airbrush - the libby is also airbrushed. The blue has a slight zenithal highlight, and of course his Imperial Fists left shoulder has it. :) In fact, I don't think I paint without the airbrush anymore! I'm looking forward to your speeder. Do you have a plog somehwere?

@ Bjorn Firewalker: Thanks! Glad you like the little pieces of fluff I write for them. 

@ Mechanist: Cheers, mate! I hope so too! :tu:

Great work on the Librarian, the blue is very nice, looks really striking in amongst the yellow! I really like how you are bringing back the classic models!

Really impressed with your airbrush/painting advice post too - could have done with that a few years ago! Pretty much how I do my stuff, having my man cave garage makes all the difference!!

I have 3-4 older metal characters and have noticed the height difference too. With my armies (which are always tongue in cheek anyways) it usually means they have "Napolean's/ Little Man's Syndrome" and are trying to make up for it by being jerks. :)   He looks great though!

Like to see the oop Librarians being used, and I must say I love the shot of the painted dude with the Centurions - makes them look massive!! Great painting on all (as ever!) and my faves of your recent work is the Caterphractii , they look beastmode :tu:

Well done on the tournie win too btw, great to see such awesome looking models seeing proper use :)

When I was writing the post in which I display my most recent librarian, I already made the reference to the epic scene from the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I'm quite in love with the librarian at the moment, and can't stop going back to it. He just invokes a profound sense of 2nd Edition, 90's hobby nostalgia in me. And then I realized I actually had the -almost-  perfect Games Workshop miniature to reenact the scene! And even though I have to work hard on a training/presentation I need to give tomorrow, I had to make these pictures:

YOU... SHALL NOT.... PASS!!!!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Hobby/temporary_zpss1ebjibe.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Hobby/temporary_zpsbe7s1jyc.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Hobby/temporary_zpsqmetuusm.jpg

So yeah, I had fun. :biggrin.: I hope the pictures put a smile on your face, too! :smile.:

Replies!

@ Lord Commander Eidolon: Thanks, buddy! The classics are the greatest - despite the small scale! :wink: I'm glad the tips'n'tricks post was useful to you. 

@ Race Bannon: Cheers! I'm glad you noticed it - it was a bit of a spur of the moment thing, really. I saw it in my bits box, and my mind instantly connected it to the backpack somehow. So my hands did the same, with a bit of help from the plastic cement bottle. :wink:

@ rednekkboss: HAhaha - I'm glad you recognized the reference in his fluff there, too. The guy who he's named after isn't one, though (despite his napoleonesque stature) :tongue.:

@ Midnight Runner: They ARE massive. Especially in comparison with this 25mm scale miniature, but even compared to the 32mm marines, they're huuge. 

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Hey Augustus!

I've been reading the last few pages of the thread and your work is stunning! I really appreciated the pictures you posted of your hobby space, and the guide for painting quickly.

Forgive me if this has been asked or shared before, but how do you store your miniatures? I can only imagine you have a sizeable army if you can paint this quickly. :happy.:

Hey Augustus,

I have been on the same Librarian painting spree for the last year or so. I want to continue with the terminator armour one from Space Hulk (Ultramarinised of course) and I have ordered the same Deathwatch plastic one you are painting at the moment. After they are done I will only miss one on a bike. About my blog, yeah I have a link in my signature, the speeder wip is in the very last page on the end. Be cautious I am a rookie on airbrushing...

Mitsman

Looks really cool, I have to ask, what mat is it that you are using for back ground... I really like that too and I need something for my table which I hope to build

Augustus,

Do you use purity seal after the basic colours and if yes what type/brand? It seems that the coats are very thin as they should be and too much handling of the miniature will bring back the undercoat. I feel I have to spray some purity seal before washes and detail painting but I have read about too many horror stories of sprays gone bad and miniature destroyed that I am too afraid of taking the next step.

Mitsman

Thanks for the many comments, folks. 

@ Lexicanum: Cheers, buddy, good to hear you like the stuff I share. About how I store my miniatures: I have two 'Billy' cabinets from IKEA, which are 60cm and 80cm wide, respectively. IKEA discontinued the BIlly, but there's plenty to find on local trading and selling sites, or even on Facebook. I got these for cheaps from a local Amsterdam Sale group on Facebook. And yeah, I do have a lot. So much so, that those two cabinets are almost full. I'm considering selling some of the Night Lords stuff that I never use, like the Terminators, Land Raiders, and such - there's a big Nurgle release coming and I've always wanted to do a Nurgle Death Guard army....

Here's a picture of the 'stored' collection :facepalm:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Hobby/temporary_zps4hmas51l.jpg

@ Biohazard: Thanks, buddy! It was great fun doing them :smile.:

@ Mitsman: Oh dude, that is awesome. If you're looking for ideas on how to do the Librarian on Bike - I build one from the Ravenwing Biker Sergeant from the DV set, and the rotso of the finecast Librarian available on the GW site. Check out the WIP pic of that conversion here and the finished product here.

@ Midnight Runner: Haha no! Perhaps with a very lucky Psychic Shriek? :wink:

@ Dantay_xv: The game mat is the Fallout Zone mat by Gamemat.eu. They have excellent mats for good prices and the bag comes included. They also have awesome, affordable  terrain. :thumbsup:

@ Mitsman (2): No, I don't use Purity Seal because Purity Seal is the bane of painters. I've seen so many excellent paint jobs ruined because of that piece of crap, overpriced :censored:  GW-produced satin varnish. :down:  It needs to be the perfect temperature and if you deviate even the slightest from that, it'll frack up your mini with a snowy, bland effect. I'm generally not one to tell anyone what to do, but I'll gladly make an exception for this: Never. Use. Purity Seal. Even if you have before with good results, you're taunting fate, as every. single. can. I've ever used or have seen used has produced at least one fluke. Luckily GW has realized this, and has discontinued the product. If you still have a can left: please throw it away. Instead, consider the varnish products from Vallejo: Matt, Satin, and Gloss. It's not only far superior to GW Purity Seal; in a 200ml pot, it's also about 5 times cheaper. :thumbsup: I use their gloss to increase surface tension before using washes and as a surface for transfers. When a miniature is finished, I spray it with a 1:1 mix of their Gloss and Satin varnishes. 

Brother-Librarian "Gandalf" looks great. Also, don't sell your mins! You will miss them when they are gone! I miss all the Necrons and Space Wolves I sold/traded years ago. At least I see the Necrons every now and then as I sold them to a friend, but I sure do miss my old Space Wolves. 

Librarian Gandalf "Run, you fools!!" 

Marines look at the Librarian. "B-but, we shall know no fear....remember?"

Love the staged photos.  This thread is making me want to finish up my Raptors.  But, the Chaos Gods are not through with me for the moment.

Epistolary - Daeno Khomisterkho
The bastard child of no great height from an impoverished Terran noble House, Epistolary Kho grew up in a harsh environment. A creative youngster, he managed to impress a visiting Imperial Fists emissary with a few sleight of hand tricks. The Space Marine stopped him, and asked him questions about his life and his abilities. When next he visited, Daeno Kho was ordered to say goodbye to his life, and taken to the Phalanx. There, he was to be inducted straight into the Librarius of the

Imperial Fists Chapter. He was tested harshly, but after years of training and overcoming his small stature, he emerged a skilled Space Marine and a disciplined Psyker in his own right. Specializing in Divination and Prescience Psykic disciplines to aid countermeasures to surprise orbital attacks, it is with some irony that Epistolary Kho has recently been embedded with an Orbital Destroyer Contingent, including a squad of the new Centurion war suits.

HAHAHHA, I'VE DESERVED THIS SOOO MUCH!! I look great buddy, but i'm no coteaz or culexus :wink: Edited by misterkho

"If we are to die, we will die together, Daeno. I will be reborn in the Warp, but your spirit-flesh will be devoured by daemons for all eternity, and you will know an immortality of agony…"

"So be it!" shouted Daeno, and he fulfilled his duty.

Lovely librarian.

Sorry for the late, late reply, everyone. Work has been off the chart this week, despite having had Monday off for Easter. I came home late and though beat, I tried to start painting the librarian. And of course, that cost me. I dropped him, and his sword broke.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/WP_20170421_001_zpsij4z1cbn.jpg

Now I feel like this:

giphy.gif

As much as Star Wars gifs make me feel better about life, the breaking still sucks. I tried drilling a 1mm (the thinnest drill bit I have) hole in the sword to pin it, but that just ruined the sword blade. I'm now contemplating clipping the entire cross- and rain guards away, and replacing them with another sowrd, but that would force me to sculpt the 'magic swirly runes' on it, to make it a force sword. Crap. And I just wanted a quiet evening of painting... :sad.:

Any advice would be much appreciated... :smile.: EDIT: but please no (however well-meant) advice about super glue. these are flimsy plastic parts and I don't want to ruin it further. Super Glue dries brittle and will not create a bond strong enough for transport or gaming. :tu:

Replies:

@ guardian31 & Mitsman: Meh, I'm pretty confident I'm not attached to a lot of miniatures. I speed painted most of them for the ETL, they've seldom or never been used in a game, and they're just occupying shelve space. I know I myself advice against it on my about page, but seeing as I've improved my painting and none of them are rare miniatures or conversions, I'm quite sure I won't regret it. Also, cash is always welcome. For more miniatures, of course.

@ Viarocanum: Me too! But now one of them broke his sword. :sad.:

@ rednekkboss: But....Raptors are chaos marines, no?

@ Bjorn Firewalker: Thanks! I finished him during ETLV

@ misterkho: Yes you did, and no you aren't. But I still love to hate you a little. :wink:

@ Knight of the Raven: Haha, great addition to Daeno!

Generally if I get breaks on really thin pieces a little ball of green stuff smushed into the join can really strengthen the bond. So super glue on one side, a small green stuff blob in the middle and then super glue on the other side maybe?

(Edited because I apparently can't type)

Edited by gaurdian31