++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

NYAR!

Today something truly special came in the mail.

You see, half a lifetime ago, in 1998, when I was still an 18-year old youngster, three of my favourite things were: 40k; the comic book Poison Elves by Drew Hayes; and pot. My city is often called the pot capitol of the world, and with the Dutch laissez faires legal attitude towards soft drugs, I admit there was a year in my life when I regularly enjoyed the sensimilla. There was a time when I had quit all three (Pot, because it is so bad for productivity and focus, and Poison Elves because Drew Hayes sadly died), but I've only been able to permanently stave off two: I have since relapsed into my addiction to plastic crack.

Anyway! Back then, I also played chaos, but I had wanted to do a loyal Space Marine army for some time. Third edition had just come out, but I missed the ridiculousness of 2nd edition. So I decided to create a Second Edition Space Marine army and integrate into it the other two things I enjoyed most. And so the PURPLE MARAUDERS chapter was born, with a Marijuana leaf as their chapter symbol. I know... :facepalm: it's right up their with SM Chapters with national flags as their symbol. Completely and utterly dumb. But hey, I made a lot of bad decisions back then. The characters were all named after Poison Elves characters, such as Lusiphur Amerillis Malache and Jace San Lanargaith. And OF COURSE I painted them up as Jamaicans, complete with greenstuffed dreadlocks... 'Cool'. :teehee:

I sold that army in 1999, because even then I realized how completely juvenile it looked. (the guy I sold it to told me later he was banned from bringing them to the local GW store).

Yet, about a month go, I saw this very army being offered on eBay - and I realized the Librarian in it (whom I had named Lusiphur, after the main character of the awesome Posion Elves comic) was the metal librarian I was missing in my librarian collection. So of course I bought it, along with the metal OOP Chaplain!
Because hey, two out-of-production miniatures PLUS a trip down memory lane!

I will most definitely throw these guys in StMarc to strip them of paint, but it's just too much fun to have those miniatures in my possession again - after literally a lifetime - as I'm twice as old now as I was when I painted them.  :biggrin.::biggrin.:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/WP_20170518_003_zpsdolinfmz.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/WP_20170518_006_zpschftmrza.jpg

I'm amazed by how good they look. Both the quality of painting is better than I imagined it had to be back then, and how well the paint job has stood the test of time. Also, I like how I managed to make the black of the chaplain look black, but still give it a purple hue. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to do something similar with yellow. :biggrin.:

Anyway, I hope you liked this weird trip through memory lane. I'm off to dump these guys in StMarc. Or will I? Damn. Should I? Nostalgia is backoning... Nah, I'll just repaint him and write some appropriate fluff. He will be dark skinned, though :biggrin.:

Replies!

@ Vairocanum: I know right. But is he truly who he says he is? I mean, the dude summons Daemons!

@ The Hydra: I shall I shall! Gimme a couple hours to make good pictures of them. :smile.:

@ Lord Commander Eidolon: There's a list of quick painting tips a few pages back - those help. :wink: Why don't ECs have librarians? But regardless of that, and entire apothecarion sounds amazing!

@ Sagentus: Damn Chaplains distorting the librarian conveyor belt. :wink:

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Wow not really sure how to respond to that, just a very cool balance of luck and one of those things that fits with the saying 'It's a small world'. 

So was it an army deal for the whole army or had they split it into lots so you just grabbed the OOP models?

@  Mechanist: A whole chapter? Don't exaggerate! In the end it will only be ten librarians. :wink:

Well how big is a chapters librarius anyway? I can't see them running more than a couple per company so at most each chapter is likely to have only about 20-25 individuals?

So even at 10 you're probably half way there.

The latest additions are great as always and some lovely fluff to go with them, added to that you'll be able to pick power in 8th to go with each back story is a nice change. Keep it up and looking forward to seeing more. 

Thanks for the pleasant comments, guys :)

I started working on the Chief Librarian miniature this morning, but didn't really fee it. Perhaps mass-painting librarians isn't the best thing to keep things rolling, so I decided to work on a built Drop Pod for a while. 

Who'se that guy in the lower left corner, you ask? Well, it's funny you should ask! ;) It's my next Chaplain model - this time with a jump pack.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/WP_20170519_002%202_zpsc5pmaq4j.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/WP_20170519_003%202_zpsgnt5qaiu.jpg

He's made from a mixture of the Deathwatch Cassius model and the head and right arm of the Reclusiam Command Squad Chaplain -which I acquired with a white basecoat, through a trade-  plus a MkII Jump Pack. That helmet is absolutely awesome, so I was excited to use it. Thing kinda fell together when I started work on the Cassius mini.

What do you think? Does he need anything else? Let me know, 'cause I want to do this guy justice.

Cheers!

Replies:

@ Race Bannon: Cheers! The chaplain will have a Templar Power fist, the one with the chains. :D

@ Mechanist: Yeah, it was kinda cool to find the army again. I just grabbed those two characters. There were some OOP metal terminator characters and metal sergeants in there, too, as well as two metal Dreadnoughts, but except fr the sergeant with the pointy power fist, I really didn't think it was worth it. I'll end up throwing them all in StMarc anyway... I'm not sure at all how many librarians a chapter has! I always imagined that about 1% of initiates had psychic potential, so 10 librarians per Chapter sounds about right, if you ask me. But your estimation might also be valid. Who knows!? 

@ Mechanist: I swear to you the Blood Thirster is on my desk, begging for paint. 

@ Biohazard: Thanks! The bone is a bit bland and the Rosarius looks bad, but other than that, I'm pretty cool with him as well. :) :tu:

Oh my, a chaplain with a jump pack?! Be still my beatin' heart! Great work on that guy and a fine example of how you can kit bash an awesome figure by choosing good bits and not needing to do a bunch of extensive conversion work.

Whoa, you're on a roll again, buddy! And those mix 'n' match Librarian conversions are quite excellent!

As for your two "wayward sons" rejoining the fold, that's an awesome story! The Marihuana-themed chapter was a bit of an eye-roller for me (I've never liked humorous Marine armies, with the sole exception of the Angry Marines), but reading about the incredible coincidence of those two models rejoining your collection still made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. You'll have to make up suitably epic stories of those two guys' adventures away from their legion, once you've reconsecrated them in Imperial Fists colours ;)

Plus that skull-faced metal Chaplain is a fantastic vintage model: I have always felt that skull mask to be one of the best designs, only on par with that incredible ancient Terminator Chaplain.

Speaking of skull masks, your latest chaplain conversion is rather lovely as well, but I have to admit that - unlike yourself - I don't really like the mask that much. It's just too Masters of the Universe for me, if that makes any sense -- and I used to love MotU, at that. Let's see if you can sell me on the helmet with your paintjob! :wink:

Never a dull moment in this thread, buddy! :smile.:

Edited by KrautScientist

@ BCK: Cheers, buddy. I'm confused, back when I was in the hobby, I was wondering why 'kitbash' had replaced the word 'conversion'. Now you're using them interchangeably. Isn't a kitbash a conversion without conversion work?

@ Steal away, mate :) Thanks for the support :)

@ Oh trust me, I've been rolling my eyes since before I sold the army :rolleyes:, and don't like funny armies either. IAlthough I'll have to look up Angry Marines. Also: are you kidding me? That skull mask is awesome because it makes him look eviller than skeletor!

Hidden Content

skeletor-57eb36456b537.png

;) Thanks for the last comment, too. I appreciate it a lot :)

@ SanguiniusReborn: Hey buddy! Long time no see around these here parts! I'm glad you like the chaplain!

To me, kitbash and conversion are completely different things. Taking parts from different kits and combining them without physically altering them is kitbashing; physically altering the parts by sculpting, cutting and re-posing, etc, is converting.

Man, it is around 6am Saturday and I just woke up. For some reason I decided to check out B&C and come here to one of my favorite threads. The first thing I see is another librarian that is a painting in progress with funny freehand. Then I read the background...

Nothing like nostalgia and some silliness! Definitely cool you got these guys back. eBay is always a fun place too because you never know what you will find. I have had a similar experience with my Astral Claws that were sold, painted by new owner who sold them, to be sold again years later by the latest owner.

Anyways, the librarian horde is looking ace and now seeing that chaplain I wonder if he will get a bunch of new colleagues...

That is a cool story. I've often wondered if stuff like that has ever happened, now I know it has!

Got a couple of Librarian name suggestions, feel free to use or not at your leisure:

Heinrich Cyprios (Preferably a pyromancer, preferably with a staff)

Erasmus Kossov

It's weird, I could never be bothered to do this with my stuff, but I love helping other people do it with theirs.

Dragonlover

I figured out why the librarian jive was so low, last Friday. It was because of this guy.

For months now, he's been sat on the Khorne Daemonkin shelve in my display cabinet, primed but unpainted.... 

Looking at me working on my Imperial Fists and on their Librarians.... 

Quietly judging me....

So when I sat down today to get some hobby time, I felt his gaze burning in my neck. I turned my head, and looked up from my desk, straight into his eyes. And I felt his judgment - burning into me, making my heart sing and my cheecks blush. It started as a whisper in my ear... skulls...  blood... blood and skulls.. for Khooorne....  But these soft whispers got louder, and louder, eventually turning to screams all around me 

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!
SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE!!
DEATH TO THE MANY ENEMIES OF KHORNE!!

And I knew. I knew it. I have gone too far. I thought I'd pleased the Hound of War enough during my Christmas and early 2017 Daemonkin surge. I had believed thirty marines and three rhinos was enough. But it wasn't enough. KHORNE WANTS MOAR!

So yeah. I started painting the Bloodthirster today, using a slightly altered paint scheme from the one suggested by KrautScientist, a while back.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/World%20Eaters/temporary_zpsk6uwmfpb.jpg

:smile.:

Also, I finished another Drop Pod. Because it is the fourth, I didn't think it was worth it to get out the Photo Booth for it. Suffice to say it looks exactly like the other three, but for a different transfer to signify the chapter allegiance.
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/temporary_zpscxbbnqsy.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/temporary_zpszc8rqyln.jpg

Hope you like! feedback more than welcome!

Replies:

@ hushrong: You honour me, Sir! About the chaplain getting colleagues... shhhh 

@ Midnight Runner: Thanks for that! The force weapons haven't changed that much, have they, though? 

@ Dragnlover: Cool, thank you! I really like those names, and will use them both (albeit slightly 40k-ified). :smile.:

This will be Heinric Kypris

And this Erasmus KossovThanks for the names! You really helped me out with them :smile.: Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Dude, the more you produce these librarians the more envious the Blood Ravens will become. And you know they steal stuff...

As for chaplains, they're my favorite so more would always be welcomed. Nothing keeps people in line like a dark armored giant shouting versus of hatred and wrath through a skull helm.

And you are doing right by Khorne. He's probably tired of seeing blue wizards getting all the love.

Dude. Dude. I've said this a lot in the past, but that Chaplain-  I'm going to have to steal that kitbash. Guess I'll be picking up a Cassius and another Chaplain next chance I have. :D

Bloody amazing - if he doesn't have a name, I'd like to dub him Johan Verletzen, if that's not too much trouble.

Wow it's pretty good luck to find your old army again, definitely looking to your new paint jobs for both models. Also that jump pack chaplain is a thing of beauty, not much extensive work but still very characterful! Excited to see some paint on the old school bloodthirster!