++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

Thanks again for the great feedback, guys! A midway solution is perhaps the better option. I agree that the shoulder pads make him look slightly too marine-ish and therefore make it harder for the model to be distinguishable from a Daemon Prince - although some Bloodthirsters have started out as mortals. Ang'Rath for example, was once human, as I recall. 

That being said, I'll have a looksee about some other pads. :)

Replies!

@ Mechanist: Hurray, you're still on board! :D Seriously though, I agree that the centre of focus should be the model's head, and the large hooves draw the eye. The model sans pauldrons needs a bit of extra bulk near the head, and the pauldrons provide that. However, they might be a tad too much...

@ Sagentus: Excellent point, that has been corroborated by Kraut and ElDuderino, and I'm very partial to it. Thanks!

@ KrautScientist: I'll have a looksee in my bitsbox and eBay and bits sites and the like, but I would much appreciate your extensive bits box too :D Tell you what - I'll paint the model and the shoulder pads seperately, and see if we can add something when you're here? :D

@ ElDuderino: Thanks! I agree, although mind you even Bloodthirsters can hail from mortals. The Daemonlord Ang'Rath was once a human warrior, and is described as the most potent of all Bloodthirsters. :tu: :)

@ KrautScientist: I'll have a looksee in my bitsbox and eBay and bits sites and the like, but I would much appreciate your extensive bits box too :biggrin.: Tell you what - I'll paint the model and the shoulder pads seperately, and see if we can add something when you're here? :biggrin.:

Well, I've had a first look through my bitzbox, and while I've come up with a small pile of possible bitz (I'll happily provide pictures if needed), none of them did feel quite satisfactory. You know what would work really well, though? Defiler face masks, especially the ones shaped like a skull. Anyway, just an idea...

Thanks again for the pleasant and helpful feedback, guys. I think I've pretty much settled on my decision that yes, he will have some form of shoulder protection. The reasons for this is that

A. I'm not convinced I can pull off altering his arm sculpts in a way that would be satisfactory to me; B. I don't think it is weird for a Daemon to have armour - he already has body armour, and the plastic BT also has shoulder pads; and C. I love shoulder armour. The question remains which shoulder armour. You guys have given some convincing arguments against the Daemon Prince's pads, as they do give off a very Marine-like vibe. I'm not saying I will not use them 100%, but your arguments are convincing enough to have me searching bits boxes and online bits stores for alternatives. And just now, I had an epiphany: the Helbrute pads!

I bought the Helbrte kit as soon as it came out. Not because I was particularly fond of it, but because I'm a sucker for dreadnoughts and other wakers. I started putting it together because I didn't like the aesthetic, but mostly because the Helbrute was such a horrible, horrible unit in the game in 7th. Mind you, this was before the Helbrute Formations and the +2 attack buff that came along later. So except for the body and legs, I have all stuff on sprue, still. 

So here's what I came up with:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/World%20Eaters/temporary_zpsmi4q88q4.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/World%20Eaters/temporary_zpst5cz74ah.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/World%20Eaters/temporary_zps0hctgjc7.jpg

As you can see, the left pauldron shows the relative thinness of the left arm's biceps and triceps. I'll have to address that with some additional sculpting, if I decide to go with these. And for that decision, I'd love your feedback once again. 

Also, I've been looking at pictures of bodybuilders, and these have shown me that I can indeed bulk up the arm musculature some more. :) 

Thank you so much for your contributions to this miniature this far. Without them, I would have probably already started paitning this guy, and I really feels like this is a community project in some way. Your feedback has pushed me to go the extra mile for this miniature. Thanks!

Anyway, I'd love to hear what you think of these Helbrute pads. :smile.:

Replies!

@ Ferrus Manus: Thanks! The base will be as elaborate as the previous 'thirster I did. Perhaps I'll add a dead marine... 

@ KrautScientist: Aw, thanks, buddy! I'd love to see the pictures of the ones you came up with, but also to read what you think of the helbrute pads :smile.: Sadly, I gave my defiler masks away to a B&C frater who used them for his Dark Mechanicum 1950's Robots. But you have given me an idea: Knight masks.... :ohmy.:

@ Pearson73: How about these, then? :smile.:

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

You know I think it'll be worth going for the extra arm day down the gym and choosing those pads. I find myself drawn to the face and it's less obtrusive than the marine pads and an all round improvement.
I genuinely feel that the triangle of colour provided by the breastplate and two shoulder pads will frame the face nicely on the painted model.

I think the Helbrute shoulder pads already work really well -- they actually seem less clunky than the DP pauldrons. I would maybe add some subtle detailing to them here and there (an impaled skull here, a dangling bit of chain there), but they are definitely an improvement! Personally speaking, I think Knight facemasks are probably too big, and they might look too much like giant robot faces...

I also have an idea that may come a bit out of the left field, but have you considered adding some dreadlocks to better tie the head and torso together? There seems to be a slightly awkward empty space behind the head, and I always loved the idea of Bloodthirsters having dreadlocks. Now I do of course realise that you must have shaved off the original ones for a reason, but still...

I reckon the Thirster looks awesome!! The Helbrute pads work really well, the only thing that might look better would be shoulder pads similar in look to Primarch Angrons maybe?

Also quick question, I haven't airbrushed for a while and wet through your how to from the front page, there is great advice there, but as I go away for long spells, I need a way to store the airbrush, how do you store yours when you are not using it?

I have seen some folks say to use a shoot glass with a leaner and water ix and you can leave it, but was concerned that if the cleaner is solvent based it old evaporate over time.

The brute pads certainly look a lot better, I think adding some chain to the plainer pad could add some nice detail and also help tie it in with the forearm chains.

Alright, this may be the final time I'm asking for feedback. I improved his arm musculature and buffed it up a bit.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/World%20Eaters/temporary_zpshcfecjw8.jpg

Here's his arms with the helbrute pads:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/World%20Eaters/temporary_zpspuy9fqpt.jpg

And here's a line-up of the BT with Helbrute pads, none at all, and DP pads. 

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/World%20Eaters/temporary_zpsa31m1szv.jpg

for your viewing pleasure, here's the individual pics in hidden brackets:

So.... which one is the coolest?

Replies:

@ Brother Chaplain Kage: Cheers, buddy!

@ augustmanifesto: Thanks! Good luck with basing. I find that I cannot pronounce a miniature finished when the base isn't finished, so I include it in the individual painting process - which prevents me from having to do all basing in one go - making it less boring, tedious, and prevents me getting sloppy with it. Perhaps this technique is something for you too? :)

@ KrautScientist: Thanks! GLad you like the helbrute pads. They will be detailed... although now that I've beefed his arms up I'm seriously considering going sans pads.... I haven't shaved the dreadlocks off, I've purposefully sculpted muscles over them, because I thought those were crazy - and I actually want this BT to feel completely different from the original metal thirster. Here's a pic of his neck:

@ dantay_xv: Yeah but I kinda don't have any angron pads... TO store your airbrush, I'd advice cleaning it thoroughly with Vallejo Airbrush cleaner (so taking it aart and cleaning all parts), and storing the seperate parts Jello Jar or some such with a screwed-on lid, filled with water and some cleaning agent. The lid prevents evaporation. When you then get it out, lay all parts out to dry for a couple of hours on paper towels, and then lube everything up with Badger Needle Juice. Then screw everything together and hey presto, your airbrush is good as new. :tu:

@ Pearson73: Some chain will be added for sure, along with some skulls and other trophies!

Weirdly enough I like him without the shoulder pads. He works out and want to flaunt them sweet biceps.

However I reallly like the helbrute pads. Nothing wrong with wearing armor and I've yet to see a greater daemon wear those.

Would you consider sculpting little tufts of fur down the tops of the shoulders? I think the padless is slightly too little, but the pads slightly too much.

If not, I would go with 1 or 3, my opinion leaning slightly towards 3, but that is hard to say without seeing in in scale in person.

The Buffer arms makes the Padless a much more attractive option than it was, however as I type this I got an image of him wearing a tight Vest with the sculpted armour and now can't not see the bodybuilder bloodthirster comparison.

Hellbrute pads look the best though his Right Hand pad with the spike on could do with bedding in a touch more as it's sticking out a bit far.

My humble suggestion is only one hellbrute shoulder pad.

You can choose which shoulder according to which is the bloodthirster favourite arm :) . For example I'm right handed and I would protect my right shoulder since is the one exposed to my enemy during my strikes.

Anyway, sir your works are truly amazing and inspiring

The announcement of the second installment of my Inter-Frater hobby challenge event, August Arena, has kept me busy this past week. So sorry about the radio silence here. I did manage to finally get some new Milliput, plus the 80mm base I ordered. So I base a base for the Bloodthirster!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/World%20Eaters/temporary_zps2uzqzrho.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/World%20Eaters/temporary_zpsvmwzkndc.jpg

Plenty of skulls, as there should be on a Base for the Skull Throne. It also looks strangely delicious... ;)

Replies!

@ hushrong: Yeah but he's not there to parade. He's there to take your skull. So helbrute pads it will be!

@ Bryan Blaire: Cheers, buddy! Will do!

@ Dr_Ruminahui: Haha thanks! I will go for pads, but I'll take your praise! Also, I've never seen you around these here parts, so welcome!

@ Sagentus: Aww darn- I went with pads!

@ Teetengee: Perhaps some tufts of hair like I did above his hooves? Is that what you mean? 

@ Mechanist: I'll try getting some chain link under there.

@ Jarka: One helbrute shoulder pad would be a cool option.... Hmmm.... Anyway, thanks for the comment and welcome to the thread!

As for shoulder pads or not, I like #3. For me one of the things with bringing the old models into the present is bulking them out and I like the pads. #3 over #1 because they have less moulding/detail. Just my preference.

@ Dr_Ruminahui: Haha thanks! I will go for pads, but I'll take your praise! Also, I've never seen you around these here parts, so welcome!

Thanks!  I've mostly been a lurker since January, though I do have two army threads (see my signature), a WIP thread (http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/334305-toy-to-igam-walker/) and have been pretty active in the SW:A thread in the "other games" forum.

Anyway, keep up the excellent work. :)

Inquisitor Psychologis Ruminahui