++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

Alright, pictures of the finished Bloothirster conversion. A big thank you to everyone who participated in the development of this conversion, especially to (in no particular order) BCK, KrautScientist, hushrong, Vairocanum, malcharion, mechanist, Atia, Olis, Sagentus, ElDuderino, Ferrus Mannus, Pearson73, Teetengee, Jarka, rednekkboss, Race Bannon, and The Traitor, for their invaluable feedback and advice. I owe you guys - and to commemorate this collaborative action, I've included pieces of the most prolific contributors' names in his name (except for Kraut, who is already immortalized in my other metal Bloodthristers name. I didn't forget him, though, and the astute reader of my latest posts will know how he's in there..).

Well, I guess I'll let these pictures speak for themselves: 

Ha'mund Ka-ge'rong Mec'tus-Raass 
"the Mournbringer"

Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/World%20Eaters/temporary_zpsqh0bheyz.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/World%20Eaters/temporary_zpsipq1hsqb.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/World%20Eaters/temporary_zpsaadrb0t1.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/World%20Eaters/temporary_zpsqwj620ow.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/World%20Eaters/temporary_zpsnt181pbm.jpg

I hope you like him as much as I do. I REALLY enjoyed constructing and painting this guy. The whole process made me far more confident in my sculpting abilities, and also more comfortable with basically destroying OOP metal miniatures. As I write this, I realize that the whole metal-librarian-phase I went through last month, combined with the experience the first metal Bloothrister I did before that, was a precursor to this project. I think I've proved by now that many of the old GW miniatures still have merit, and I am looking forward to including them in actual games.

Thanks again to all involved, and have a great day!

Cheers,

Augs

Replies: 

@ Sagentus: Good question. Milliput by itself is difficult to work with, as it becomes muddy and sticky-wet when you handle it with wet hands/tools. It is very soft and can be sculpted wonderfully, though. Also, when dry, it has a very hard, stone-like consistency. You can then drill and sand it perfectly, but it is harder to cut. Greenstuff is the opposite: it is very clean to work with, but can be difficult to sculpt. It dries like hard rubber, which is difficult to drill into or sand, but is easy to cut. When you mix the two, you retain all the good qualities of both, but loose all the bad qualities. I cannot recommend it enough for a beginning sculptor. The better you get at sculpting, the less milliput is needed, I feel. 

@ GreyRavenC: 1: JUST AS PLANNED. 2: Alright, beer basket it is. 3: You mean you've never had it??? Dude. You should make the appointment. Those friars are awesome. I once planned a whole vacation around visiting all major Trappiste (and other) breweries in Belgium by racebike. I made an appointment about 10 months in advance. Totally worth it. 

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

This BT looks great painted! great job all round! 

Thanks for the tip on milliput, I will get some ready for the Arena II event. I totally agree with what you said about green stuff, it can be difficult to work with (for a noob like me), but hopefully milliput will help me get the effects i desire :) 

First things first, that Bloodthirster has turned out fantastic, buddy -- as expected, really. Seeing him now kinda makes me wish I'd had a chance to look at him firsthand in all his painted glory -- as you well know by now, your other retro Bloodthirster really blew me away and ended up looking even more awesome up close than I had anticipated. Is the skin colour comparable to that one, as that should give me a pretty good idea how the new one actually looks?

But yeah, the paintjob has really brought the various tweaked parts of the model together beautifully now, and the result is a model at equal distances between the modern design and the vintage classics of the yesteryear.

All in all, ja, wie sage ich das jetzt, AMAZING work! :)

@ teku: What beers didn't we drink? lol. Off the top of my head - which now functions again, we started Friday with an IPA from Brand, then had one each of Natte and Flink of the Amsterdam brewery 't IJ, then one each of Affligem Blond, La Chouffe, Westvleteren (I know a guy :yes:), Westmalle, Delirium Tremens, and finally a Rochefort 8. Saturday saw a much more limited palette, with four Steenbrugge Blondes and four (or five?) Zatte beers from Brewery 't IJ. Back home we topped the evening off with a Chimay Blue.  Pretty good score, don't you think?

And it was all delicious! Zatte was the one that actually means "drunkard" or something like that, right? There's definitely something to be said for a country that names its beers after the intended long term result ;)

Kraut didn't take a couple of crates of his country's beers with him? I hope you won that game to teach him some manners! :biggrin.:

A good point, normally, but the local beer from around where I live is actually licensed :cuss and not a traditional product, and to bring Bavarian beer (that's probably just as readily available in the Netherlands, at least the popular brands) did feel pretty idiotic, what with Bavaria being almost more of a foreign country to a Northern German than the Netherlands. I did bring some local chocolates, though.

Oh guys - we didn't actually play a game! The pics are just setups we made for the photo shoot! :smile.:

So all that teasing with awesome battle pics and there was no game? That's some serious Chaos-trickery!

Um, yeah, it's the kind of trickery where the dude from Germany doesn't know the rules. Like, at all. Sorry! ;) It's not that Auggs didn't try, though...

We all did a thing! YAY!

This right here is why I post a lot of WIP pics (and I work really slow) because a lot of the time getting other eyes on your work will invariably improve the end result. I'm glad you were able to take the criticism of many folks in the constructive way it was offered and I am feel honored to share in its name. :D

@ teku: What beers didn't we drink? lol. Off the top of my head - which now functions again, we started Friday with an IPA from Brand, then had one each of Natte and Flink of the Amsterdam brewery 't IJ, then one each of Affligem Blond, La Chouffe, Westvleteren (I know a guy :yes:), Westmalle, Delirium Tremens, and finally a Rochefort 8. Saturday saw a much more limited palette, with four Steenbrugge Blondes and four (or five?) Zatte beers from Brewery 't IJ. Back home we topped the evening off with a Chimay Blue.  Pretty good score, don't you think?

Don't see Duvel on this list so ;) None the less nice list of beers! No wonder you got a bit of a hangover!

Think its an average Belgian beer drinking. Unless I know to much beer drinkers.

Love the Bloodthirster! Great work!

The thirster looks great. The brass/gold really stands out against the black; making the rune really pop and the blood on the blades has a great sense of realism.

Wow that Bloodthirster looks phenomenal! The brilliance of the sculpted muscles look even better painted up! While your kitbashing is always brilliant, these major conversions really knock it out of the park! Definitely looking forward to your next project!

Wow, everyone! Thanks for the many, many replies! I'm very glad to see the custom Bloodthirster as popular as that! Many of you have requested comparison shots between him and his brothers. And you know, your wish is my command :wink:

Here he is next to his younger brother, showing you how much taller he is compared to the original metal 'Thirster. I believe we can all agree that any doubt of him coming off as a 'Baby Bloodthirster' are dispelled by this picture. :biggrin.:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/World%20Eaters/temporary_zps0u0qvboc.jpg

And of course he has a bigger brother - who is not as much bigger as I bet you thought he would be. Really it's mostly the wings that make up most of the height of the plastic Bloothrister. 
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/World%20Eaters/temporary_zps6ge3z9sy.jpg

Anyway, now that I think of it, I might as well go and make a family picture of all three - provided they fit in my light box!

Cheers!

Replies!

@ Sagentus: I hope it works for you, buddy! Good luck with it, and glad to see you join the Arena!

@ Mechanist: Yeah the helbrute pads were tdefinitely the way to go! 

@ BubblesMcBub: Cheers! THere you go  :)

@ Malcharion: That is very high praise from a hobby talent as you. You have talent similar to mine, and then some - be sure of it. But thanks, anyway!

@ Race Bannon: Really what's your fixation on carry cases? You realize these miniatures have a pretty flat plane, don't you? I can just lie him on his back and he'll stay that way. And because I construct everything with transport in mind, I'm sure he will not break. ;)

@ KrautSCientist: Yeah the skin colour is very comparable to that one. I did a bit more highlighting on him, so he appears slightly lighter. Your Tampert joke made me giggle, btw. LOL!!! Next time, you'l definitely see him in the flesh, though :D

@ rednekkboss: Cheers, buddy. I'm happy you like him. You're an inspiration to me, so thanks for that too. :tu:

@ Brother Pheidias: Which one? SHOW MEEEE!!!

@ sockwithaticket: Aw man! Thanks! High praise from a skilled hobbyist such as yourself!

@ Kierdale: INDEED! I did make some heretic strip joint posters for my terrain featuring a Slaanesh symbol though. Care to see it?

@ Eldrick Shadowblade: Thanks you! He'll see action today!

@ Brother Chaplain Kage: Yeah I can totally see how that adds to the overall end result. I did the same with First Claw, two years ago, and they are still a pride addition to my collection. 

@ Brother Aiwass: Hahahaha Heroquest Gargoyle. I so get what you're saying! lol!

@ helterskelter: Indeed he is! The skin is painted using Duncan's painting tutorial from Warhammer TV. :)

@ The Traitor: Ah but the black is actually stripy - perhaps we cannot see it well enough, but I promise it's rich black.

@ Checkmate: Thanks you, mate. ;)

@ teku: No Duvel. Duvel is a devil's drink. Far too sour for my taste. Incidentally, would you care to get your signature in line with forum rules? I sent you a PM about it, but perhaps you missed it. Thanks for the compliment, though!!

@ Pearson73: Yeah Retributor Gold and Silver make a great combination!

@ Vairocanum: Cheers! I'm afraid the next project will be slightly less adventurous, but after that, I believe I'm converting a Daemon Prince!

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Compared with the others, even though a middle child, I think the newest is the best.  They're all great :tu:

The carry case thing is a slight fascination for me because we always see the model(s) but not choices to move them around. 

In the end, I make such comments here, and other places, in jest.  I'm the only one I see making such "jokes" and in hindsight I may be the only one who finds it humorous.

Not gonna lie, I had my doubts about this fella.... But now that I see him all painted up, I must say I was completely taken by surprise. He looks solid, man. Only problem I have is his clown-shoe sized hooves, but maybe that's just me. He looks ace regardless, bro. :cool.: