++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

Cheers, guys!

@ Sagentus: Thanks for that, mate! I'm still amazed how well he turned out - and I couldn't have done it without your added support and feedback. Thanks!

@ Race Bannon: Oh there's nothing wrong with laughing about your own jokes! And I know you're jesting! I guess I should have put a :p next to it. Also, today I transported my bloodcrushers, and two swords broke! NOOOOOOO so there ya go... 

@ Noctus Cornix: Well, I'm glad I partially proved you wrong ;) And he does have large hooves, but IMO not so large that they look ridiculous. If anything, I think they would aid him in keeping his footing swinging that enormous axe around!

@ Mechanist: Dude, totally go for it, and let me know when you start: I will absolutely help you with the process like you have with mine. :tu:

@ KrautScientist: I shall, thanks! :D

Thanks, Pearson :) Here's a final picture of all three of my Bloodthristers. Thankfully, they all fitted in my lightbox :tu:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/World%20Eaters/temporary_zpseb61tihv.jpg

In other new, I started with something KrautScientist gave me as a return gift for my buying him the Index Chaos Apocrypha book a couple moths back: a blood Throne of Khorne. Quite appropriate, considering our mutual favourite chaos god, don't you think?

It's pretty insane though how intricate the build of this thing is. The picture shows all the different sub-assemblies, which are necessary as you just cannot reach all areas with a brush if you build it completely. I painted the fleshy parts first, and have covered that with poster buddy as a masking for the inevitable red. :)

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/World%20Eaters/WP_20170629_001_zpsczoxyyzj.jpg

Stay tuned, as tomorrow I'll hopefully be able to finish it. :)

Those three are looking fantastic, buddy! :)

Considering the outrageous price for the only available Bloodthirster, I really thought it would have been bigger in comparison to the old metal ones. 

In all fairness, it is. Augustus has done a fantastic job disguising the difference in height via elevated bases and his other conversions, but at the end of the day, the new plastic Bloodthirster is not only - a bit - taller, but also quite a bit bulkier. Is it a spectacular difference? Maybe not at first glance. But the new 'Thirster looks like it could give an Imperial Knight quite a headache in close combat. The old version? Not so much.

I've just spent the last 3 hours going through this from beginning to end, Augustus. All your models are incredible! I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, it's inspirational on many levels!

As an aside, a couple of months ago you posted an imperial fists terminator chaplain recast. Something I've been dying to get my hands on! Any links to the guy that produced him? Unless of course that's breaking forum rules, in which case feel free to send me on my way!

And after scrolling through 3 years of models from you, I have to say I love your Fists captain, Khornate contempor, night lords Contemptor-captain, and Fists leviathan. They're all my favourite of your bunch!

The August Arena event has started! Please check it out here, and join the fun!

I finished the Blood Throne I was gifted by KrautScientist, last week. What a strange model to paint and to construct. To properly paint it, one needs to completely deconstruct it, it seems! Anyway, It's REALLY good in the game, and as I bought a Khornate Daemons deal box about a year ago, I'm totally building another! I will be magnetizing the sword arms for the second one, because honestly it will be a PITA to transport the thing without breaking anything...

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/World%20Eaters/temporary_zpsbjjt2ixf.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/World%20Eaters/temporary_zpsd5twohot.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/World%20Eaters/temporary_zpshayqvctz.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/World%20Eaters/temporary_zpsxyt1ruge.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/World%20Eaters/temporary_zpsplkh0f8i.jpg

Hope you like!

Replies:

@ BCK: Yeah it's pretty expensive. I think 'our' metal alternative is much better.

@ KrautScientist: Meh, I'm not sure. I think the new BT would be a far easier target for that bulky chainsword of the Knight. The metal one could sneak on top and crack open that thin upper armour! ;)

@ K0nahrik: Cheers, buddy! I'm always very glad to hear people going through the entire thread and being inspired by it. Thanks for letting me know, and please visit again! About the LE Terminator Chaplain: by now, I'm sure every chinese recaster in, well, China, has gotten its hands on the miniature, so I'm sure you'll find a seller. :) Also: you seem to be a fellow contemptor fan! :)

@ hushrong: Thanks, mate. And also: thanks for your part in making this miniature the best it could be, by my hands. Your feedback was very valuable!

Excellent work on the chariot, mate! That was some well-spent money right there ;)

I also have to say I prefer your red Bloodletters to your black Bloodletters by far -- in fact, in a cabinet filled to the brim with utterly amazing models, the black skin on some of the Bloodletters seemed like the only slightly dubious choice ;)

Oh I completely agree. The only reason why I chose black for some of the bloodletters was to differentiate them from their red-armoured juggernauts, and by extension to give those bloodcrusher-letters some foot-slogging kin. With the above chariot, I have proven to myself that it is possible to combine a dark- brownish red for armour, and a vibrant red for skin. So that's how I will do my Bloodcrushers, and I will repaint (and rebase) all thirty bloodletters I have already painted. :D

You are definitely crazy, buddy, but it's the good kind of crazy, so I approve :wink:

Meh, it's not that much work. The only 'real' painting one bloodletters are the hilt of their swords, their nails, teeth, eyes, and tongue. The rest is either done by airbrush, wash, or drybrush. If that makes me the good kind of crazy, then hurray! :D

Oh man, the Blood Throne looks great! Did you do the swords of the Bloodletters with an airbrush? 

Thank you! Yes, the swords are done by airbrush and masking tape. :tu:

The throne looks great, the blue of the swords really pops up. Also, do you have any plans for the cannon? It is a pretty cool bit to have, and with your excellent kitbashes I can only expect something awesome!

Thanks, guys. :)

@ The Traitor: Cheers. The cannon is indeed a col bit and I'll have two after the second throne. I'm thinking about making it into a AA gun for my Khornate Knight...

@ Teetengee: Thanks, buddy! Yeah, the pics came out somewhat washed out. The Blootlettersa re actually very vibrant!

Cheers, Midnight Runner! They indeed look aggressive as all hell - and they should be, as this mofo does Mortal Wounds on impact!

And now for something completely different: as you have all probably read, Xenos are now allowed on the B&C. A big decision, that will ultimately do the community good. Things had become quite superfluous with the introduction of Genestealer Cults (literally half-xenos/half-human) and the reappearance of Squat armies with the introduction of the Kataphron AoS miniature line. All in all, something cool to look forwar to, as no we can all share our other armies set in the 40K (and 30K?) universe. 

I currently do not have any Xenos armies - but that was largely because of the restriction here on B&C, and I love sharing my hobby here. It has become somewhat of a second nature to post my updates here, as the feedback, inspiration, and camaraderie of the B&C community has become part of the hobby experience for me. Thus, in a way, the B&C restricted my 40K hobby, as I was unable to post non-allowed armies here. Now that I can, I have started to think about starting either a Dark Eldar, an Ork, or a Tyrannid army. These are all future plans, though, as I am a long way from finishing my Khornate army, and have just started collecting a Nurgle Death Guard army. More on those soon. 

For now, though, let me share my first steps intp the world of Xenos painting. Almost a year ago, I visited a friend from loooooooong ago. He and I were part of a group of geeky nerds that all shared all games sold by our local independent retailer Fantasy Fanatics in the Dutch city of Haarlem, a store at which I was an employee. He and I reconnected after having not seen each other for over 16 years. Our group fell apart as we all went to university, higher vocational school, or started a career. Plus the Fantasy Fanatics went out of business because GW had screwed them royally. That was also part of the reason I stopped with the hobby - my loyalty to my old friends and boss made my visiting a GW store feel like betraying what we had. Anyway. I and the friend reconnected and hit it off as if those 16 years had not passed by. Turns out, the old friend group still exists, and I quickly found myself laughing about the same jokes as back then, telling the same stories, and generally feeling the glee at having like-minded people. I quickly found myself in an RPG campaign (which sadly was in its final strokes - so I started one myself, mixing old friends and new ones). Also, I saw a sealed GW Ork Bommer box at my friend's place, and asked if he wanted it painted. He told me he bought it as soon as it was released, and had never come around to it. I relished the chance to paint something completely different than what I normally do, so here's the whole point of this banter:

So I painted his Ork Bommer. Of course it's red, because, you know 'RED 'UNS GO FASTA!'. I finished it at the end of last April, but because of the B&C rules, couldn't share it here. Now I can - for which I am thankful, because I loved painting it and was very please with the end result. Take a look yourself:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Xenos/temporary_zpsyjhru9kv.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Xenos/temporary_zpshudujzff.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Xenos/temporary_zpsuxgpdmyy.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Xenos/temporary_zpsblafhdbv.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Xenos/temporary_zpsf6vm6ibr.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Xenos/1485e8b8-f08c-4acc-81d3-9df1941a68f2_zpsbfttdhew.jpg

So, thanks for looking at the pics of this wonderful machine. I certainly had a blast painting it, and learned a lot from it: painting Ork skin with the new citadel paints (the last time I painted an Ork was for my Blood Bowl team back in 1999, when those horrible octagonal painting pots had just been released), making metal look rusty and worn, painting spirals and a checker patterns, and especially applying enormous transfers (the checker patterns on the wings is one big transfer, but the one on the nose was hand painted).

There's lots of details too that I love: the shark faces on the bombs (did you notice the one that's upside down? That was intentional - because Orks are idiots), giving the pilot a Burrberry shawl, the faded glass of the glass (achieved by spraying it with thinned down Tamiya Smoke), the matt black paint streaks to simulate smoke and air stains, and many more. 

I hope you like him and would much appreciate your comments and critiques. :)

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

So xenos huh? ;) I would really like to see you try Dark Eldar or Tyranids, the Ork Bomber looks great, but we already know that you can paint red :P! But nids or DE would be a radically different army to what you have and I'm sure we would see some awesome conversions!

Nah, Ork Bommer was just a one-off. Orks really don't float my boat as much as space marines do. Plus, I'm quite liking my new flesh recipe, and I've always wanted to do a tyranid army using bone and purple colours. But first, I have some Khornate Daemons to finish...

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/World%20Eaters/temporary_zpsarioapwx.jpg

Nice looking Orky plane! Stellar work....as always. I've 3-6 of those on deck to build...someday.  Loving the Khorne deamon thingy... I can see how it'd be "fun" to paint, definitely the kind of thing to do in sub assemblies.  Its pretty cool looking though.... might have to get one.

Thanks, guys!

@ rednekkboss: Yeah, those Ork planes are  dream kit. I love how they look and how they come together. The variety you can get out of them is also extremely big for such a relatively simple kit. Geedubs did a great job with them. Also: go get a Bloodthrone! I'd love to see your take on it!

@ hushrong: You and me both, brother. As I replied to rednekkboss, that kit is fantastic. If the orks weren't so cheap in points (and thus so expensive in currency), I would start an Ork army in a heartbeat.

@ Eldrick Shadowblade: Thanks for that - good to hear that idea would work out. Care to share a pic through PM?