++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

Did some more work on the Jump Pack. Per Maarten's suggestion I lowered the back pack vents and some other sculpting was done.

First off, I made the lower end of the jump pack more backpack-y. 

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Death%20Guard/WP_20170723_002_zpsojobv6pd.jpg

Second, I extended the turbine convers to match up with the front trim:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Death%20Guard/WP_20170723_003_zpsfyuavvlq.jpg

And lastly, I worked the top of the backpack (picture is top down) so that it'd match a backpack. I'm waiting for it to dry so I can drill holes into it like a normal SM backpack.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Death%20Guard/WP_20170723_004_zpswbto1uwh.jpg 

Lemme know what you think!

Replies:

@ BCK: Thanks buddy! Any advice?

@ The Traitor: Well, after having done that, how do yuo think it looks?

@ Maarten: I lowered it on your advie - for which I thank you. Does it meet your standards? ;) :p

@ Wolf_Priest_Dantay: How about this? I was thinking of doing the nurglite smoke stacks of the original nurgle dp between the turbines and the backpack bit. 

@ Teetegnee: Haha I guess that helps :)

@ Sagentus: Haha they weren't meant to be stabalisers, just the exhausts found on back packs. But Whatever, eeryone thinks they look good :D

@ rednekkboss: Cheers, buddy! I need your advice on doing nurglys stuff. Do you have some kind of tutorial or step by step guide?

@ guardian31: Perhaps! Glad you like them better now. :)

@ fire golem: I'm totally sticking with the ogre head!

@ hushrong: Thank you!

Woah, now we're talking! Really digging how it looks right now, the GS job is astoundingly good for a man who says he is no good with greenstuff ;) (seriously, you're getting better and better at it). Will you be adding some cabling when you glue it to the body?

@ The Traitor: Cheers, buddy! Yeah, I agree I'm improving, but also must admit that I was a bit unsure of my abilities, or perhaps even somewhat frightened of sculpting. The recent Bloodthirster project I finished last month gave me the confidence to just go for it - and I'm glad to see it's paying off. I can't get the edges quite as straight as the likes of BCK or BCA yet, but I'm getting there. Also, now that I write this, I'm guessing they probably wait for the putty to cure and then cut it. Doh! :wink:

@ Sagentus: Thanks, mate! The rivets are 1mm glass micro beads - have a looksee on AliExpress or eBay and you'll be sure to find some. :thumbsup:

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

I can't get the edges quite as straight as the likes of BCK or BCA yet, but I'm getting there. Also, now that I write this, I'm guessing they probably wait for the putty to cure and then cut it. Doh! :wink:

... And this right here, is the secret to good greenstuff work - patience, building things in sections, and letting stuff dry. It really is that simple. 

TT: It looks really good, with the greenstuff work - great job! 

PS: The use of Titan leg plates are inspired - I really think you should remove the side arrows of the Fleur de lys, though, so it'll look more chaosy. 

Edited by GuitaRasmus

That jetpack is staring to look like something! I'm really impressed. As GuitaRasmus said, the little side arrows of on the knight plates should be removed for an 100% chaos look. Or you could remove one of those complete spikes, make the area clear and sculpt some nurgly symbols on there, like the orb-triangle or something. 

Where did you buy those little beads? They fit perfectly as rivets.

@ Maarten: I lowered it on your advie - for which I thank you. Does it meet your standards? :wink: :tongue.:

You know you'll never meet my standards. Advice*

Jokes aside, sculpting looks great and I'm glad I was right about lowering that parts.

I agree with biohazard on removing the side spikes on the armor plates for more of a chaos spike.

Augustus: I'll try to get my wife to take some pictures and put together a little "Nurgly stuff: Da Rednekkz way"" tutorial.  I can tell you that (if you have the stomach for it) google images has some really great (as in gross) stuff if you search for things like lessions, pustules and such. 

Wow ! This jump pack is insane man ! Really impressive job on this part alone!

Can't wait to see it fully done.

For the holes you're planning to do like on normal sm jet pack, why don't make just three of thoses event ? nurgle style ;)

@ GuitaRasmus: Yeah, I figured as much. It had to click, really, and then it's become far easier. R: the arrows - I'm making it into a Nurgle symbol. ;)

@ GreyRavenC: Not the first one, but the second one I'm confident. 

@ Wolf_Priest_Dantay: Thanks, buddy! What happened to the _xv?

@ Vairocanum: Thanks, buddy :) Working on it.

@ MikhalLeNoir: Haha that would be painful indeed ;)

@ Biohazard: That will be a while still. I'm getting more and more confident with my conversion and sculpting skills, and I'm actually considering a double handed morning star.

@ Aasfresser: That's a great idea! It shall be done! The beads are 1mm glass micro beads - have a looksee on AliExpress or eBay and you'll be sure to find some. :thumbsup:

@ Maarten: It will be done :)

@ Mechanist: Cheers, buddy!

@ rednekkboss: That would be amazing! I did some google images, but I think I've seen too many B-horror to really have it have any effect on me...

@ malcharion: Not really sure what you mean with:

For the holes you're planning to do like on normal sm jet pack, why don't make just three of thoses event ? nurgle style :wink:

What holes?

@ KBA: YES! I converted KBA! 

I'm waiting for it to dry so I can drill holes into it like a normal SM backpack.

I was talking about thoses, but don't bother, keep up the high level sculpting job I'm stunned by this backpack so far !

CHeers, guys. 

Today saw me do a couple things on the turbines and the backpack. I actually had to redo the entire sculpt for the upper part of the backpack, as I didn't like the angel of the turbines vis-a-vis the body. Unfortunately I had to destroy the entire middle white tube as everything was glued rock solid. 

So I redid that, with more rivets (as I like them) and added a secondary ring - just to make it more visually interesting. 

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Death%20Guard/WP_20170725_001_zpsk6lvz3av.jpg

I also did those added rings on the turbines, and added another edge of trim to connect the knight plates. Note that since I had to remove the original white plastic tube, I figured it'd be easier to sculpt these things separately. Hence, the tubes in these pictures are just placeholders.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Death%20Guard/WP_20170725_002_zpshh49gxts.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Death%20Guard/WP_20170725_004_zpsspfbti9t.jpg

And lastly, I was immensely inspired by GuitaRasmus' recent Nurgle DP's face, and decided that a good stolen idea is better than a bad original one. Enter a reversed Pink Horror face and the Ogre head:
http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Death%20Guard/background_clouds_a4_greyHead_zps4ayjyokg.jpg

I'm not going to lie: I LOVE this development. 

What do you think?

Thanks for your feedback and other comments! :)

Cheers!

Replies:

@ guardian31: thanks buddy! Any ideas on how to improve it even more?

@ malcharion: Oooooh now I see what you mean. Great idea! I shall implement it! Thanks! :tu:

I know your pain with the breaking down and rebuilding of something that isn't working as I've done that several times on my entry. 

And lastly, I was immensely inspired by GuitaRasmus' recent Nurgle DP's face, and decided that a good stolen idea is better than a bad original one. 

You're right, it looks awesome, but not quite Nurgle-y the way it is now. Maybe give it flabby jowls and chins around that great maw?

First of all, that jump pack is a thing of beauty, and something to be very proud of! If I have one suggestion, it would be to make sure that it's not too clean looking: The assembly you have on there now is very impressive, but maybe you should add some damage, boils etc. to actually sell it as Nurglite in addition to being daemonic ;)

As for the head, I agree with BCK that it needs a double-chin or something of the like. Maybe shortening the jaw would be a good idea as well, because you might run out of room otherwise and/or end up with a neck that seems comically distended or covers too much of the chest area. I'd shorten it to maybe this length:

jaw-02.jpg

As for Eldrick Shadowblade's question/suggestion, some kind of disgusting tongue would be very cool! I've done something similar with a different ogre head and a tentacle from the old chaos mutations sprue that might give you an idea:

9004691995_cce90c29a7_m.jpg

Anyway, fantastic work so far! :)