++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

This Daemon thingy is coming along disgustingly. I'm not a fan of Nurgle, but I can recognice a masterpiece at first glance. 

What can I say? You are inspired and that can be seen in your work, blessed by the sacred 7th.

He needs a book tho, namely Liber 777 :P

Oh that is looking really disgusting! Seeing how you pinned the head maybe the neck is going to be too long? It usually wouldn't be an issue for a daemon, but him being nurgly it might look a bit off.

I don't so. The neck is going to end near the jaw muscles. It'll be short, wide and rotty ^_^

Cheers, guys! The giant skaven censer arrived and it's mock-up time! 

I quickly realized that the angle of the right arm was way too impractical for the pose I was aiming for, so I cut away everything above the elbow - I'm now confident that I can resculpt that, plus the upper arm will be mostly covered by the shoulder pad anyway. 

Here's the blutacked together miniature in the pose I am aiming for:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Death%20Guard/WP_20170729_001%202_zpshhtytciv.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Death%20Guard/WP_20170729_002%202_zpsmkzy6ncv.jpg

More pictures in hidden bracktets:

Hidden Content

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Death%20Guard/WP_20170729_003%202_zpszumud4zn.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Death%20Guard/WP_20170729_005%202_zps13ppxf6b.jpg

I also started scultping the way the censer is connected to the right arm - with a double tentacle! :biggrin.: (please note that the upper arm is nowhere near finished, btw)

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Death%20Guard/WP_20170729_007%202_zpsti4bcldo.jpg

That's it for now - I'm excited to see this prince take shape, finally. It's been frustrating to find and wait for all the different parts, but I'm finally getting into it!

Thanks for looking. Comments and feedback appreciated :biggrin.:

Cheers!

Replies:

@ The Traitor: Nah, the neck will be super thick with skin flaps and muscle, so I'm not afraid of the length. Also, who says Nurgle daemons have short necks? :wink:

@ guardian31: Yeah those mushroom stalks are a nice find. It just hit me all of a sudden. :biggrin.:

@ ElDuderino: Cheers, buddy! How do you like the pose?

@ Eldrick Shadowblade: Cheers, buddy! I know you're referring to my previous post, so please safe yourself the trouble of quoting it, buddy! Thanks for the idea of the tongue - it sound very interesting! I'm not precisely sure which bit you mean, though - do you have a picture or something? :smile.:

@ Dragonlover: Questions and doubts about a build can be as helpful as feedback as praise and encouragement, mate! Don't hold them back, please! I appreciate any thoughts - both positive and negative, as long as they are constructive :smile.: Any thoughts on which bits to use for the tongue?

@ Brother Aiwass: Wow! That's high praise - wait for it to be finished

@ brettfp: Cheers, mate! Thanks for commenting!

@ Nemac Vradon: Haha, cheers, buddy!

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Had to come out of the shadows to comment because holy hell that Prince looks amazing so far. Your greenstuffing is top-notch and makes the parts blend seamlessly together.

I do have to say, I feel like the pose should be tweaked to have him leaning forward to swing the censer. Right now he just looks far too static to be hurling such a large object, and if he was just leaning into the swing it would give the model a great sense of weight and movement.

The same - and good points from both of you, Drakzilla and Teetengee. I am indeed thinking of decreasing the angle of his left leg's bend, and turning his left leg's knee slightly outward - this will give the entire ensemble a lean to our right (his left), thereby conveying the sense of movement and balancing the censer. :tu:

Whoa, that is looking sick! Excellent mockup, and I really love that double-tentacle replacing his right arm, running through the warped Astartes armour plates. Excellent stuff!

I'm tempted to say that his left arm would look even cooler if it were to point in the same direction he's looking -- as if to provoke an enemy hiding "off screen", but making that happen might be more trouble than it's worth. Like Teetengee, I do think his neck might be a tad too long, even if you keep in mind that he's still missing his double chin(s): An extraordinarily fat person doesn't magically get a longer neck just because there's more tissue and fat there, after all.

But man, buddy, you are really on fire with this guy! Excellent stuff! :)

I really love where this is going! As Kraut said, that tentacle arm is fantastic. And the neck is indeed a tad to long.

An extraordinarily fat person doesn't magically get a longer neck just because there's more tissue and fat there, after all.

Stop fat-shaming him! It's his live choice!!11!!

Woah, you never stop surprising me! He would defenitely look better leaning forward as you suggested, it is true that hurling such a huge thing would involve a lot of movement. And I'm glad you changed the arm angle, you're more than capable of reesculpting the upper part. Now I have to sculpt another prince dammit!

Looks great. This might be a bit off the wall, but what abut changing the eyes to something multi-faceted, maybe fly or wasp has?

The 3 holes for each eye to peer out is cool, as it is the mark of Nurgle and all, but 

Ah the XV. Had to go, kept making me think of the cursed 15th legion :D

Coming along nicely, but I think he might need even more adjusting to the pose to get that feeling of momentum that the giant censer needs. Something like this. 

Well the question is, is he about to throw it? Because if not, it probably isn't THAT heavy and could be more easily swung around without having to lean in with the whole body. ^^

Edited by sfPanzer

It's bigger than his torso!

So? Look at what he is carrying...also yadda yadda forces of chaos, power armor, mutated beyond recognition and so on. :D

I'll see if i can dig up the bit and post it for you. I love the choice of the tentacle arms! Maybe some of those microbeads need to be embedded to keep continuity between the backpack and tentacle arm? Or turn them into eyeballs? Just somethoughts. Looking good man!

Since "because reasons" is being invoked, let me try a different path to explain what I mean. I bought a book called How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way when I was a kid and one of the lessons in there really stuck with me about posing and conveying a sense of action. John Buscema illustrates the different frames of a punch being thrown and tells us that a good comic book artist should know how to convey the most amount of action and movement in his drawings. 

http://i.imgur.com/xixFLGS.png

The first and last frames, the wind-up and follow-through of this punch, describe the most movement and are the most visually interesting. Right now, the pose of the DP is somewhere in the middle of this and needs some fiddling to slide it toward either end of this spectrum to better convey the power of the blow that's about to land on some unfortunate being. 

Yeah I agree about the dynamic thing, but my point is that if the thing he is swinging around isn't actually THAT heavy, he wouldn't have to lean it as much.

Ever tried to swing the kind of "ball" a hammer thrower is swinging? Ever tried to swing flail? (i know it's rare for people to do something like that, but I dp live in a town where the mediaeval ages are kind of a big thing :tongue.: ).

The former is a LOT heavier and at some point it's actually more like the "ball" and the thrower swing eachother while the flail is just heavy enough to inflict a lot of damage but light enough that you aren't in danger to overswing too much which would usually mean death on the battlefield...and also would be way too exhausting to use properly in combat.

Overswinging looks cool but is not something you want to do in a fight like ever.

Hence my question whether he is actually going to throw it or not. :wink:

Edited by sfPanzer

I thought neither one of were talking about realism because demons, superhuman strength, blabbity-blabbity-blah, so the weight of it is irrelevant; I was talking about trying to impart a dynamic and visually interesting sense of motion. Anyway, I'm done. Agree to disagree. 

Eh that was only joking obviously. Once you start to explain everything with magic no argument is valid anymore. Although the fact that he is carrying a huge jetpack on his back and is wearing power armor that boosts his already unnatural strength is a "fact". :P

I agree that a slight adjustment in his pose would do good but not a whole lot.

Wow that Daemon Prince is shaping up really good. I love these extensive builds you do and is really inspiring for my own work as well! When you go to repose the legs I think they could be bulked out a bit (especially the thighs) because I think they are looking a tad slim in comparison to the rest of the body. Looking forward to the next update!

Amazimg! Imagine if he would use that flail while jumping with his jetpack ohh the gorethat would create....

Anyways good luck on changing the pose!

Edited by BubblesMcBub