Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Augustus' thread// Started THIRD World Eater Army p235

Night Lords Airbrush Plasticard Chain Greenstuff Augustus bRaass Augustus bRaass Raass

• Please log in to reply
5876 replies to this topic

GuitaRasmus

GuitaRasmus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 394 posts

Great idea, but a +1 from here on a leg position change - his left leg should be further out than his right, and bent on the knee. :)

All my earlier projects (Dark Mechanicus, Death Guard, World Eaters, and much more) can be found HERE

Sagentus

Sagentus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,643 posts
Man this dp is shaping up to be one he'll of a monstrosity! Great work Aug!!

Augustus b'Raass

Augustus b'Raass

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,032 posts
  • Faction: VII, VIII, XII, XIV

That was a great response, indeed!

@BCK andfpanzer: you guys are both right and make the same point, only from different angles. The censer probably isn't as heavy as that volume would if it'd be solid stone or metal, as coals generally are quite light, but still it'd weigh a lot and to swing something like that a very dynamic swinging - and thus pose - is required. Luckily, I indulged you both (and others, among whom myself)!! :D

Here's the reposed DP:

WP_20170730_001%202_zpsnjgpne87.jpg 

WP_20170730_002%202_zpssutm9qxb.jpg

More pics in hidden brackets

Hidden Content

Looks good, eh? Almost perfectly captures BCK's suggested pose:

Hidden Content

Let me know what you think! Thanks for looking and your comments and critique. :)

Replies:

@ Kordhal: RIght now the aim is to just get his pose right, which would require rescultping the arms and a part of the pelvis, but that shouldn't pose a problem. The rest of the body is pretty nurgly - but if you have any suggesting, I'll be most interested!

@ KrautScientist: I know what you mean and thought about it, but it is as you say: a lot of extra work without a guaranteed payoff. I'm not too keen on pointing dudes, preferring to let the miniature be strong on its own. 

@ Aasfresser: Still not convinced why his neck would be too long - he's a daemon, plus the undivided GW finecast DP has an even longer neck!

@ The Traitor: of course you need to sculpt your own DP  -you can never have too many DPs

@ Mechanist: Cheers for the vote of confidence! 

@ Wolf_Priest_Dantay: That's a cool idea, but I'm not too keen on the whole fly iconography. I'm actually considering removing the fly on his left arm altogether! biggrin.png

@ Maarten: Thanks, mate! How do you like the chain vs tentacle now?

@ Eldrick Shadowblade: That's a good point, actually - the tentacle should have some cuts and some pustules as well!

@ Vairocanum: You I thought the same thing about the relatively thin thighs. On the other hand - I like the belly on the thin legs. Seems somehow creepy. ;)

@ BubblesMcGub: That's the whole point! :D :tu: 

@ GuiteRasmus: How do you like the repose?

@ Sagentus: Cheers, buddy!

@ BCK: Thanks for the picture!

• Brother Chaplain Ryld, Marius Perdo, Brother Aiwass and 3 others like this

ElDuderino

ElDuderino

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,023 posts
Wow, that repose really brought the awesome up to eleven, and serves as a good lesson on the importance of how to convey motion. The model was cool already but now it's so much better. I don't know what else to say, this is top notch work, even with your standards. I'm definitely burrowing some ideas for my own DP

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts
  • Faction: Order of Baal, Dal'yth Sept

Yeah that pose works very well!

Still thin the neck the way you posed it atm might be a bit too long tho. :D

• Teetengee likes this

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

KrautScientist

KrautScientist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,879 posts
  • Faction: World Eaters

@ KrautScientist: I know what you mean and thought about it, but it is as you say: a lot of extra work without a guaranteed payoff. I'm not too keen on pointing dudes, preferring to let the miniature be strong on its own.

To be fair, it was less about a cheap special effect and more about adding some agency to the model -- or at least its left arm. That being said, the repose has taken car of that rather neatly, because now the left arms looks as if it were part of the entire motion, so consider the case closed ;)

As for the reposed legs, I like it for about 90%, but I cannot shake the feeling that the stance seems comically wide in the very first photo, plus the left leg doesn't look like it could attach to the body in any anatomically plausible way -- the effect is only really pronounced in the first picture, mind you. Both because the area is more obscured in the other pictures, or because it's merely a problem of perspective? Anyway, might be worth double-checking.

• Augustus b'Raass likes this

Maarten

Maarten

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 100 posts

@ Maarten: Thanks, mate! How do you like the chain vs tentacle now?

Yep great. This model has such a great feeling of motion, love it.

DuskRaider

DuskRaider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,667 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard, 3rd Grand Company
I love the repose, looks much more fluid and dynamic. The only thing that throws me off is the fingers on the left hand... I always hated those damn things. Might I suggest replacing them and having them curl a bit? It wouldn't take much to do and would probably feel more natural.

Check out my Photobucket Here
 DuskRaider's 40K Nurgle: An Experiment in Flesh and Machine (House Makabius & Dark Mechanicum WIP currently)

In Service of the Death Lord: DuskRaider's Adeptus Titanicus Project

DuskRaider's 30K Word Bearers Force

DuskRaider's 3rd Grand Company Death Guard Legion Force

To view my older threads, please go to the link HERE and download the add-on to view Photobucket linked images.

Biohazard

Biohazard

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,244 posts
  • Faction: Worldeaters
Loving the update, I was going to chime in about the pose but then I move to the next page and see the leg repose. He's looking mean now, looking forward to the neck being fleshed out etc.

The head really reminds me of the Violator or Malebolgia from the Spawn univers. :tu: That's ALWAYS a good thing! :tu:
  • Augustus b'Raass and ElDuderino like this
gallery_22910_7234_61462.png

Dragonlover

Dragonlover

++ PATRIS ANGUIGENA ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 3,142 posts
  • Faction: Stygian Lords

Hmm, weird grasping  tongue hand... maybe a zombie hand?

Dragonlover

Teetengee

Teetengee

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,454 posts

Right shoulder doesn't seem bulky enough to me, and the neck still feels to long, but the repose is really good.

My Chaos WIP Thread (Bigger Pics and Foul Xenos offsite) Hall of Honour, My Storm Reavers (DIY SM Chapter) Story, My Chaos 7.5 Homebrew Codex Thread
In us burns a fire for vengeance that will only be quenched when we stand triumphant over the smoldering ruins of Terra. Our laughter on that day will haunt their survivors till the end of time. We will stride forth victorious through the shattered gates of their fortress, holding high aloft the defiled corpse of their rotting god as our prize.
Wulfkry, on 02 Jul 2013 - 3:38 PM, said: So an inquisitor is receiving SM implants using GK geneseed stolen off the fields of armageddon interesting..
Captain Semper, on 29 May 2015 - 4:10 AM, said: There is crazy and there is Teetengee crazy... ph34r.pngnuke.gif

Warsmith Aznable, on 30 Jan 2016 - 01:16 AM, said: 13. Teetengee wrote "Warp Born" and I won't even go into how disturbing the subject matter was.
The Psycho, on 26 Apr 2016 - 10:50 PM, said: That's either really disturbing or really cute, I haven't quite made up my mind yet.

gallery_48988_15465_38466.pngR9n4SPM.pngCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_02.gifsml_gallery_29004_12090_4775.pngETL_Medal_04.giffriday-award.pngx9we_badge_teetengee.pnggallery_29004_10514_2007.jpggallery_29004_10514_234.jpggallery_48988_6285_1348.png

I'm not dead, and I like 8th better than 7th.

KrautScientist

KrautScientist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,879 posts

I love the repose, looks much more fluid and dynamic. The only thing that throws me off is the fingers on the left hand... I always hated those damn things. Might I suggest replacing them and having them curl a bit? It wouldn't take much to do and would probably feel more natural.

I would like to present a counterpoint to this, because I've always felt that it was a great touch how the left hand actually looked like that of a disease victim: There is something malformed and arthritic about them that I think is really rather realistic, and it's an interesting little way of showing the "blessings" of Nurgle.

Aasfresser

Aasfresser

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 810 posts
  • Faction: Thousand Sons

I'm so glad you reposed Fatty McPoop, he looks very dynamic and way more threatening. This is why I love the B&C's WIP forum, so much useful input and constructive comments. 

And touche: you're absolutely right about the neck. It will look good once sculpted.

~Drakzilla~

~Drakzilla~

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 903 posts
The reposed legs are definitely better than before, but still don't look quite right. Since his torso is very straight, it looks more like he's dragging the back leg rather than leaning into the swing. If the whole body was angled forward more it would definitely convey more motion. A quick Photoshop mockup to illustrate:

22miUxC.jpg
  • Aasfresser likes this

GuitaRasmus

GuitaRasmus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 394 posts

The reposed legs are definitely better than before, but still don't look quite right. Since his torso is very straight, it looks more like he's dragging the back leg rather than leaning into the swing. If the whole body was angled forward more it would definitely convey more motion. A quick Photoshop mockup to illustrate:

22miUxC.jpg

I agree with this, but more importantly, I think the torso needs to be turned a bit - like an 8th og a 16th of a turn - in the direction of the censer. This will convey a lot more momentum and dynamics, I think. However, I'm very aware the he will be an absolute b****** to to this with. I think it can be done though, by cutting off his entire torso and repositioning it, with some sculpting touchups afterwards. 

All my earlier projects (Dark Mechanicus, Death Guard, World Eaters, and much more) can be found HERE

Augustus b'Raass

Augustus b'Raass

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,032 posts

Thanks for all the comments, team! Just a quick update to show that I am not, in fact, dead. Just very busy with work and dating (which is totally awkward, after having been out of the game for years! - I do have a date with a doctor, though. :D) Anyway.  Here's some updates on the Nurgle Daemon Prince. 

I started working on sculpting the muscles of his right upper arm...

WP_20170802_002%202_zpsrfzkekss.jpg

... and connected his left leg to his pelvis.

WP_20170802_001%203_zps7arf0yts.jpg

I'll just keep on trucking. 

Thanks for looking and for all your comments and feedback. Most of what you're saying is very helpful, and although some aren't in line with my vision, all of it is appreciated - even the ones I don't agree with force me to think why I don't agree, which is helpful in itself, as I make better judgements that way. :tu:

Replies!

@ ElDuderino: Yeah pose is 2/3rds of the whole ensemble when it comes to conversion, as far as I am concerned. 

@ sfPanzer: Wait for the neck to be actually sculpted before you judge it! :)

@ KrautScientist: See? That comment about his leg - even though at first I was like 'but it looks fine' made me return to it, and see that it's off by a few mediocre degrees. So I tweaked it, and now it's perfect. Thanks, Kraut!

@ Maarten: Thank, buddy! I cannot wait for those Land Raider conversion tracks you're sending me!

@ DuskRaider: Yeah I thought about them too and I am still not sure about them I agree with KrautSCientist about them looking decrepit, but the finecast is so bad...

@ Biohazard: Yeah dude! You're right! He totally looks like the violator! Lolz - trip back to memory lane. :)

@ Dragonlover: Nah, that's a bit too tongue-in-cheek (see what I did there?teehee.gif). This dude need to look feral and scary, not funny. 

@ Teetengee: The shoulder on his or our right - pretty important to not leave out the possessive from that particular sentence, buddy! :D In any case - neither have had any but the most basic sculpting work done, so I'll ignore that critique until I've worked on it for a bit. :) 

@ KrautScientist: I agree, the problem is the cast of the finecast is so bad!

@ Aasfresser: Isn't it!? Thanks! 

@ ~Drakzilla~: Thank you so much for going to the trouble of doing the photoshop! I see that somehow his censer is raised, but I'm not sure how you have done it - and thus what you want me to alter. Just be sure that his torso will be turned about 5 degrees to his right :tu:

@ GuitaRasmus: I completely agree with that  -and I had already planned it. It's just that his torso was blutacked to his legs in the pictures, and the weight of the censer kept pushing his body back to his left. Anyway. I really appreciate your C&C, especially since you're such an accomplished converter yourself. However, I really would appreciate your not quoting pictures to make your point. A simple 'I agree with the above picture', 'Re:fraterX's comment:', or simply putting the pics in the quote between hidden brackets, would alleviate that problem. It's kind of a pet peeve of mine, I know, but for these reasons, it's really worth dispensing of the quoted pics...

• Brother Chaplain Ryld, Kizzdougs, Thrillhouse and 2 others like this

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts

@ sfPanzer: Wait for the neck to be actually sculpted before you judge it! smile.png

Okay, you said it! Don't you dare disappoint me! :D

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.pnggallery_62972_14467_3819.jpggallery_62972_10568_4118.jpg

Aasfresser

Aasfresser

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 810 posts
  • Faction: Thousand Sons

Raising the base under the right foot is a great idea to tweak the angle of the legs. Now I want to see him as a whole again to judge if he got more dynamic. The sculpted muscles look good, the tentacles as well. You use a tube tool, right? 

KrautScientist

KrautScientist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,879 posts

Just very busy with work and dating (...)

Well, there goes the mancave. Just you wait ;)

Seriously, though: Best of luck on the dating front! :)

Still, it's good to see an update, and the Daemon Prince is getting better and better. I was just about prepared to say the leg issue hasn't really been resolved (because that gap, where you've now sculpted additional tissue) is so wide as to throw off the overall anatomy a bit, but then I realised that the lines of his left leg now make it look almost insectile, as though it were on the verge of another flesh change, so that actually works, after all.

I've been meaning to ask this for a while: Will he be getting another shoulder pad on his left shoulder? Because I've always found that bare shoulder to be one of the stock models shortcomings.

Augustus b'Raass

Augustus b'Raass

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,032 posts

@ sfPanzer: I won't I won't!  

@ Aasfresser: I do use a tube roll, but the tentacle is completely sculpted one the down where the vambrace starts - you can see it's a bit less smooth, there.

@ KrautScientist: Thanks, - that's a nice thought about the insectile leg. I will include another shoulder pad on the left armour, for sure, as I agree it's a bit weird that the stock model doesn't have one.  

misterkho

misterkho

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 161 posts

Thanks for all the comments, team! Just a quick update to show that I am not, in fact, dead. Just very busy with work and dating (which is totally awkward, after having been out of the game for years! - I do have a date with a doctor, though. biggrin.png)

LIES! ALL LIES!!!

Teetengee

Teetengee

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,454 posts

-snip-

@ Teetengee: The shoulder on his or our right - pretty important to not leave out the possessive from that particular sentence, buddy! biggrin.png In any case - neither have had any but the most basic sculpting work done, so I'll ignore that critique until I've worked on it for a bit. smile.png

-snip-

His shoulder, thus the right shoulder, not the shoulder on the right :P. In any case, please do ignore, as the sculpting is already improving it.

Different critique about that shoulder: The shoulder pad is now going to be slid down over his "deltoid" which doesn't quite match up with the point of the armor, but is well within the possibilities of a daemon prince. Also, adjusting it would require slicing apart even more bits. It still looks a bit weird though.

My Chaos WIP Thread (Bigger Pics and Foul Xenos offsite) Hall of Honour, My Storm Reavers (DIY SM Chapter) Story, My Chaos 7.5 Homebrew Codex Thread
In us burns a fire for vengeance that will only be quenched when we stand triumphant over the smoldering ruins of Terra. Our laughter on that day will haunt their survivors till the end of time. We will stride forth victorious through the shattered gates of their fortress, holding high aloft the defiled corpse of their rotting god as our prize.
Wulfkry, on 02 Jul 2013 - 3:38 PM, said: So an inquisitor is receiving SM implants using GK geneseed stolen off the fields of armageddon interesting..
Captain Semper, on 29 May 2015 - 4:10 AM, said: There is crazy and there is Teetengee crazy... ph34r.pngnuke.gif

Warsmith Aznable, on 30 Jan 2016 - 01:16 AM, said: 13. Teetengee wrote "Warp Born" and I won't even go into how disturbing the subject matter was.
The Psycho, on 26 Apr 2016 - 10:50 PM, said: That's either really disturbing or really cute, I haven't quite made up my mind yet.

gallery_48988_15465_38466.pngR9n4SPM.pngCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_02.gifsml_gallery_29004_12090_4775.pngETL_Medal_04.giffriday-award.pngx9we_badge_teetengee.pnggallery_29004_10514_2007.jpggallery_29004_10514_234.jpggallery_48988_6285_1348.png

I'm not dead, and I like 8th better than 7th.

~Drakzilla~

~Drakzilla~

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 903 posts

*snip*

@ ~Drakzilla~: Thank you so much for going to the trouble of doing the photoshop! I see that somehow his censer is raised, but I'm not sure how you have done it - and thus what you want me to alter. Just be sure that his torso will be turned about 5 degrees to his right thumbsup.gif

So the only thing I did was tilt the whole upper body, arms and everything, by about 20 degrees clockwise.

hCMbWWr.jpg 

• Brother Chaplain Ryld, Augustus b'Raass, Doctor Perils and 2 others like this

Panzer

Panzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 21,076 posts

*snip*

@ ~Drakzilla~: Thank you so much for going to the trouble of doing the photoshop! I see that somehow his censer is raised, but I'm not sure how you have done it - and thus what you want me to alter. Just be sure that his torso will be turned about 5 degrees to his right thumbsup.gif

So the only thing I did was tilt the whole upper body, arms and everything, by about 20 degrees clockwise.

<image snip>

I think that's too much to be honest. Also hurling such kind of weapon from below is nothing unusual so I'm not sure if it actually needs that change at all. 

DuskRaider

DuskRaider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,667 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard, 3rd Grand Company
I like it, it gives the illusion of weight to the weapon.

Check out my Photobucket Here
 DuskRaider's 40K Nurgle: An Experiment in Flesh and Machine (House Makabius & Dark Mechanicum WIP currently)

In Service of the Death Lord: DuskRaider's Adeptus Titanicus Project

DuskRaider's 30K Word Bearers Force

DuskRaider's 3rd Grand Company Death Guard Legion Force

To view my older threads, please go to the link HERE and download the add-on to view Photobucket linked images.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Night Lords, Airbrush, Plasticard, Chain, Greenstuff, Augustus bRaass, Augustus, bRaass, Raass

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)