++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

AVE DOMINUS NOX brother !  Nothing else to say here , that's glorious !

This would make the Caradaras Proud (Jealous ? :p )

Maybe just the red wings that could be better, we see to mutch of that shade I think,  do you use Agrax  on them ? 

You should maybe tone it down with medium in order to avoid those halo effect that we see on the side doors in particular. (purpul shade are also nice for the red parts ;) )  

Malchy

Dam that spartan looks great along side the 2 LRs. Spectacular work as always Aug, look forward to you finishing the next one, really looking forward to you starting on your DG. Especially looking forward to seeing more of your DP ;)

Thanks a lot, team! 

The GF is out of the country to go to a wedding this weekend, so it's painting time for me! :D I started with the Storm Eagle:

DGEUAkD.jpg

I would like to hear your opion on the following. The Fire Raptor has those ball turrets at about the same location as the Storm Eagle has those doors. I painted those Fire Raptor ball turrets black. As such, I was thinking to keep the Painting scheme similar across the two flyers, I would paint the Storm Eagle's side doors black as well. However, on the three tanks, I painted all side doors Midnight Black. What do you think I should do?

uqQU44V.jpg

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts on this!

Replies!

@ DuskRaider: Ha! Yeah I love to add colour to what potentially can be a very monochromatic miniature. 

@ Malcherion: I do use agrax indeed, but I like the shade. I'll try purple washes the next time I'm doing something red - for this commission, I'd like to keep the colour consistent though. :)

@ Sagentus: That's a lot of looking forward to's! Thanks, buddy! :tu: :D

@ hushrong: Storm Eagle is getting there.... And thanks about noticing the darkness within with the ramp doors open picture. That was exactly what I was going for ;)

Man that spartan came out great! :wub:  As for the doors do you still plan on doing the lightning on them whether they are black or midnight? If so I think they would look good in black. If you only plan on doing lightning if the doors are midnight then I say go with midnight. I guess I just really like the lightning :happy.: I will say that the idea of tying it to the Fire Raptor with black doors is a nice thought, and if you add the lightning it then ties to the tanks. Sorry for the short ramble.

BOOM!

Storm Eagle finished. Pics:

f943nwR.jpg

z3sfP2q.jpg

dCQm7fO.jpg

YhsZbtr.jpg

gLo0uRs.jpg

GSyrDHL.jpg

QYc7fOT.jpg

Ld8XR01.jpg

SfgpAze.jpg

ucijmQP.jpg

jWG37Nj.jpg

EmA11r7.jpg

muek7it.jpg

This was a blast to build and paint! Even more so than the fire raptor - although my having already build one of those in the past might have smething to do with that too. Also, the fire raptor has too many parts. Brother Chaplain Cage's infuriating pepsi challenge also helped in motivation and enjoyment. That last part is because as a NIght Lord, vindication gives me orgasms. 

Sorry for the blurriness of some of the pictures. I only now figured out how to photograph big models in my small photo booth; from far away. Unfortunately I'm too lazy to get a tripod, so my moving around didn't help. SOrry!

@ Guardian31: Thanks buddy! Glad you like it! I also hope the storm eagle strikes your fancy

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Haha I love how the average response is basically "Yeah, yeah, Augs, we like this one too, another one in a seemingly endless series of Night Lords vehicles. We're just glad you're nearing its end so you can get on with your Death Guard project!" :biggrin.:

Just one more thing to show why I am actually very pleased with this Storm Eagle. I want to give special attention to the three things that make this one of my favourite vehicle projects of all time. 

First up is the cockpit. There's a couple firsts here. Of course the giant skull ornamentation, which to me shows the versatility of the Citadel Skulls kit (which is the best GW release of 2017 IMO) but also stands for the endless ways in which you can create Night Lords symbols - another reason why the Night Lords are the best Legion to collect. :D I'm also really digging the canopy - I used a lot less Tamiya Clear Red on the inside this time, and it made it so clear that I felt comfortable putting in some extra details in the cockpit - like giving the pilot a bare head, and putting him in MkIII shoulder pads. It's stuff like that which really make me enjoy this hobby. It also made the canopy much easier to handle (because the thinner, harder paint layer is less prone to copy my finger prints) and so the protective bars were so much easier to glue on than before. It made me feel comfortable weathering them, which in turn drew the whole thing together. 

uAo680b.jpg

Second, the trophies. The MkVIII breastplate idea just came to me when I was looking over a sprue to se what else besides helmets I could mount on a vehicle as a trophy. I really like it and will continue doing it in the future. I also love how it's a halved colour scheme, I believe of the Angles of Absolution successor chapter of the Dark Angles. The black door idea also is a keeper - I love how it breaks up the blue, and black is pretty easy to weather too.

zDy2WRQ.jpg

And lastly, the Rocket Launchers details/Night Lords symbol. I loved doing the launchers themselves, but when I saw it on the bird thought that their surface was a bit boring. I also had one FW Night Lords Rhino front plate left to use as decoration. Initially I was only going to use the two corpses, but hen I realized I could also make two 'sideways looking' variations of the symbol. Enter two vertically sawed-through skulls and my dremel tool -with which I dremelled a gap in the wings that fit the skull crania - and hey presto! Love it.

lrmF0h1.jpg

Thanks for looking. Just the final Spartan to do and it's on to my Death Guard! Hurray!

Replies!

@ KrautScientist: Thanks buddy! Your Masters of the Universe comment still makes me giggle. I'm looking forward to working on the DP too!

@ Sagentus: He is! Let's hope he'll leave a comment soon. Thanks, buddy!

@ Atia: Cheers, girl!

@ Exellon167: Thank you very much for the comment! They keep me going :0

@ DuskRaider: haha thank you! Now you know how I feel when I visit your thread :biggrin.: Also, glad you like the skull up front :smile.:

@ BubblesMcGub: hahahaha indeed!

The Storm Eagle looks stunning, I've come to like this model a lot more thanks to you! I have mixed feelings about you starting a DG army though, on the one side I'm not a huge fan of Nurgle and everyone is making DG nowadays, but on the other the DP you started looked amazing, so if the rest of the army is like that it will be cool ;)!

Oh that’s a treat for the eyes! Paint job is out of the park and I love that canopy. I had left my cockpit/canopy unglued wondering about doing this and sadly I glued it to keep from losing that bit. But man does that red look awesome and even more so when you look through it to see the pilot.

That has to be my favorite thing about a vehicle in recent history is seeing the pilot in the storm eagle.

Thanks, guys!

Okay, last one and then I'm done with Night Lords vehicles for a while. Although someone did ask me to do a Storm Eagle, a Thunderhawk, and a Stormbird come summertime...

5MjDs5l.jpg

Replies! 

@ Bjorn Firewalker: Thanks, buddy!

@ The Traitor: Cheers! Yeah, it's weird huh? I had the same thing, where I liked it more and more the more I worked on it. Yeah everyone is doing Nurgle so why should I? Well for starters I LOVE Nurgle. Also, I started a Night Lords army before it was cool, so I have something in the bank when it comes to being judged for following trends ;) :D

@ guardian31: Nope - one more Spartan!

@ hushrong: cheers! A pity to hear about your glued canopy - Tamiya Clear Red is super easy to apply and all it really takes is patience. :tu:

\

Yeah, I have a bottle of the stuff on my desk. It looked really good for fresh blood stains. I could always pry the canopy off and resculpt the damages. We will see.

Looking forward to this final tank. I'll miss seeing your take on the VIII but I am looking forward to seeing your Death Guard. As for the summer...that just sounds NUTS! Another eagle...then a Thunderhawk followed by a stormbird!?! WOW!

Thanks, guys! Unlike the previous SPartan, I plan to build and finish this thing within a week - I'm leaving for a vacation to Malawi and South Africa on the 21st, and I'd like to send the commission out before I go. :smile.:

As you could see from the picture of yesterday, all parts have been given a lukewarm soapy bath and scrub, and I've started test-fitting everything. The back is now glued together, and I've also started with the sponson configuration. :smile.:

4m40nl0.jpg

Wish me luck :smile.:

Replies:

@ hushrong: Just be careful when doing it - but yeah, I'd love to see that! And yeah that possible commission sounds insane, doesn't it?!=

@ guardian31: I gotta say, working on them again did spark a fire in me - I love the colour scheme I've developed for them and starting a new army that everyone is doing is less.... exciting. But I love those Nurgle Daemon engines. Maybe I'll just paint it and sell it again. :smile.:

@ BubblesMcGub: I already send out the first Spartan, but I do have all the others.  

Heres a preliminary group shot of the two Land Raiders and the flyers:
gQEf1Jg.jpg

@ Ranker: Your wish is my command! Above is the groups shot of four vehicles. When I'm done with the last Spartan, I'll make one of all five. :smile.: BTW, question for you: I'm inclined to make the side doors of the Spartan black, like I did with the Storm Eagle. I really like that design. Do you agree or do you want them blue?

@ DuskRaider: That'll have to wait until I actually finish one of those :biggrin.: