++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

The drones look fantastic and now we need a group shot.

@ Mechanist: Not sure what you mean there Re: the Mohawk, buddy! Care to explain? I'd love to have your input! :thumbsup::smile.:

I was referring to this comment you made a few posts back.

Then I had an idea that was pretty much born out of desperation, but which turned out pretty ok: just a banged up, rusted old mohawk-blade-like thing. I quite like it!

I really like it as well and was wondering about giving them each a different one so you would end up with 1 stock and 2 conversions.

I would actually contemplate doing the skulls in a metal color, like bronze or something. Daemon skulls are pretty rare considering they're basically just psychic energy manifestations, so having a physical piece would be pretty valuable. I can see even the Death Guard having them plated, unless they're sculpted in which a stone coloration would work as well.

My problem with tanks for Death Guard is converting them to match the army. The troops and existing tanks / vehicles are pretty mutated.

Edited by DuskRaider

I always thought you could drill poxmark style holes. I'm sure augustus will have fun with his buboes too. You can also basically do a rough coat of typhus corrosion all over the treads and then drybrush leadbelcher (to start with) for a really worn and corroded look.

Basically, lots of physical weathering

Great to see the bloat drones all painted up! The one with the legion symbol is definitely my favorite! Is your daemon prince from last year going to be continued soon or will he be a later project. Looking forward to seeing what you'll do next!

Thank you for the excellent feedback, gang! This is what I love about this forum: no retreat, no surrender and no quarter given to any but the best of a frater's ability. I really appreciate you pushing me to get the best out of my own creations. 

You were all totally right - the bone coloured skulls didn't contrast enough with the brass rings around them, nor with the overall armour colour of the drone's carapace. So I went the same route as with the legion symbol: brass skulls with a band of green around them. 

Here's the final result:

WmlZrE5.jpg

And here's the promised group shots!
u9dLWw9.jpg

KQQh3kT.jpg

76WzWUH.jpg

I hope you like them!

Meanwhile, I've started painting the stock Noxious Blight Bringer and the Lord of Contagion from the Dark Imperium sets. I'm pretty far into the proess, and will probably post them finished tomorrow. Sadly, I didn't make WiP pics of the painting process, so you'll have to do with the primed pictures in my ETL vow and the end result!

Cheers!

Replies:

@ malcharion: You were absolutely right - not in the colour of the skulls, which was bone, not green ;) but with them not contrasting enough. Thanks for telling me. What do you think of the new approach?

@ SkimaskMohawk: It wasn't your phone, you were right!

@ Gederas: Yup, totally right, thanks! :)

@ KrautScientist: Ha! Malchy, SM and Gederas ninja'd your critique! ;) How do you find the drone now, though? Also, thanks for the kind works re: my conversion skills. I am looking forward to adding GW non-DI Bloat Drone carapaces to the EZ Blight Hauler kits :D

@ Mechanist: Ah! Oh well, too late now! Maybe I'll do that for the other two drones I have planned, or with the EZ Hauler kits!

@ DuskRaider: You're right - Metal coloured was the way forward. Re: your tanks: how about sculpting corrupted armour, with tentacles potruding, adding bullet and cororsion holes with your dremel tool, scratches with your knife, etc? Or what SkimaskMohawk suggested below your comment?

@ SkimaskMohawk: Excellent suggestions for sure!

@ Hungry Nostraman Lion: Haha, thanks, buddy!

@ Vairocanum: That Daemon Prince is absolutely going to be finished! IN fact, I vowed it as part of my first ETL vow, so expect it before the sixth week!

Loving the Blight Drone Swarm/flock (I have no idea what a group of Blight drones should be called :D). The one with a little bit of brain matter oozing out looks particularly gross in a great way. Excited to see what you are painting up next!

The Blight drones are looking sickly and grand!!

Its amazing how fast you paint.

Only niggle is the right most drone.

The other 2 have green/bronze detailing on the carapace and the right-most does not.

With having the red fly and no green on the carapace armour, it does not tie in so well with the other 2. I like the red fly and it helps the drone to stand out. Is it a drone leader?

Is it possible to incorporate some red into the carapace of the other 2 or green on to the "fly" to help link them together? Or will they be run as separate units, so matching them up is a moot point?

Either way very nicely done.

The Drones are looking fantastic as a team! The tweakes carapace designs you've come up with are arguably cooler than some of the official ones that come in the multipart kit. My favourite one has to be the Heresy-era emblem one, simply because it's such a slick idea, and wonderfully executed!

Touching upon the same thing as Dantay above, the red emblem on the first drone stands out even more now -- any plans to repaint it, after all?

Keep up the amazing work, buddy! :)

Thanks, team!

Regarding the red fly emblem of the drone - I agree it stands out, but I'm keeping it that way. All fly emblems in the army so far have been painted in red, and uniformity isn't necessary - bloat drones do not come in units, so they don't need to 'fit' together, as long as they all fit in the scheme of the eventual army (which I'm sure they'll do)! So the 'group' picture is more to show you I've finished the three drones in my ETL vow. I plan on doing two more - one of which will get a Brass emblem and the other another red emblem of some sort. This way, they'll al be kinda sorta  different! :tu: 

I haven't been sitting idle last night - I had a 13 hour work day and as the SO had an evening shift, I had an hour to paint, so I finished the Noxious Blightbringer!

I gotta hand it to GW - what a fantastic miniature this is. The complexity belies the fact that this guy is incorporated in the standard game set. They've come such a long way from those awful monopose marines from 2nd edition!

Anyway, without further ado  -or adieu, as a fellow Death Guard player would say ;) :p (Massive apology for the tease, I couldn't help myself once I had written 'ado') 

OltSQAC.jpg

OaQVGIA.jpg

lXOWl8p.jpg

Hope you like! I'm as we speak putting the finishing touches on the Lord of Contagion...

Cheerio!

Replies:

@ DuskRaider: Cheers, buddy! I'm plannig to go to Manchester for a tourny in November with my Amsterdam mates, so the miniatures need to be finished!

@ Sagentus: Cheers! The Blightbringer and LoC are next, and then I plan to finsally finish the massive axe squad...

@ Mechanist: Well, then I can say MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! :tu: Thanks, buddy!

@ malcharion: Thanks a lot, malchy!

@ Dantay_VI: I hear you on the red fly icon, and hope I've answered the issue in the above text. I hope to make the 'unit' look more diverse with the addition of two more drones, one of which has another red icon. :)

@ KrautScientist: Well thanks! No plans to repaint, more plans to paint more drones in red! :D :tu:

The Noxious Blightbringer is looking awesome, buddy! Of course I have a minor suggestion, though: I think it would look cool to mix some brown or grey into the colour for his tabard, then carefully use that colour to add a fine higlight to the most prominent folds in the cloth, making it look a bit more threadbare and moth-eaten without losing any of the bold red on the rest of the area. A similar effect could also be achieved by carefully drybrushing a similar colour onto those prominent edges:

To see what I mean, compare Angron's loincloth here:

827572_sm-30k%20Horus%20Heresy%2C%20Angr

As always, keep up the amazing work! :)

The drones look great and I like the red emblem on the white and green. It stands out nicely. Maybe a metallic color would be cool but the red is a definite nice touch. Plus, the dirty-white/cream is the dominant color as there isn't a ton of green going on in the scheme to make it look like a noxious Christmas so we're clear.

Speaking of noxious, the blightbringer looks great. It is fantastic that the modeling has come so far these days. Top it off with your amazing painting skills and he's 'money'! Everything about him is topnotch but for some reason I love the metallic colors you've got like on the chains and braziers on his back. Something about that really catches my eye.

Loving the paintjob on it! Crisp, clean (if such a word isn't horribly inappropriate for Nurgle-worshippers), but still horrible and grimy at the same time.

Great job on this one man Especialy love the tabard wile I agree with Kraut on the fact that it is maybe too clean, I love it this way because it creat a lovely contrast witch give the "cream" part an even more disgusting looks. Either way you work fast and with quality results :thumbsup:  It's impressive.. Lux tenebrae easy peasy ^^

Edited by malcharion

Boom! Finished the Lord of Corruption!

rGro3C3.jpg

Here's some more pics, of all angles.

R3MrOC4.jpg

FXfVBFF.jpg

Also, I followed Krauty's advice and weathered the Noxious Blightbringer's tabard.

fDAkJJT.jpg

Hope you like!

Cheers!

Replies:

@ hushrong: Haha, I like how your formulated that. Nice bridging! The chains are easy: Typhus Corrosion over white, then some Ryza Rust here and there, and then a light Leadbelcher dryrbush. :)

@ Viridia: Cheers! Crisp yet Grimy is what I aim for ;)

@ malcharion: I agree - the rich red contrasts nicely with the cream. :) Where did you vow for the ETL?

@ sfPanzer: Hurray!

@ Marius Perdo: Welcome to the thread! Thanks for commenting! :tu:

Absolutely stunning Aug! The extra wethering on the tabard really adds character to the blight bringer, great siggestion Kraut! As for the LOC he also looks great! I would maybe suggest a bit more rust on the axe, but thats just me. One thing i did notice is on the skull on the creat you have a beige dot, is that on purpose?