++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

Daemon Prince DOOOHOOOOOONE! Brother Chaplain Kage, where's your Khornate Prince now, huh? :wink:

Eight hours of painting. Hot damn.

g3F3KDY.jpg

EeSiVNg.jpg

tkqV9Rt.jpg

Jm4YAd7.jpg

kUwdLvA.jpg

tTAZZll.jpg

FcuB3bM.jpg

NnfPLGR.jpg

DwtLDMV.jpg

dfAeLu2.jpg

EQY0Epz.jpg

0mxoZQs.jpg

Incidentally, I've had the idea of doing this guy ever since I saw this picture on Imgur five years or so ago.

Hidden Content
http://i.imgur.com/kVQKUPA.jpg

Hope you like :smile.:

Cheers!

@ Kizzdougs: Tadaaaa! What do you think?

@ guardian31: Cheers, buddy! I hope you like him!

@ DuskRaider: Nono, it was 105 poxwalkers, and it took me eleven days. That's twice as slow as you're suggesting!! A shame you have no use for the beastmen bodies... :smile.:

@ Sagentus: I hope he meets your expectations!

@ Vairocanum: Thank you a lot, mate!  I really appreciate the continued support of the thread :smile.:

@ malcharion: No worries, buddy! I drybrush Leadbelecher over Typhus Corrosion and Riza Rust for the metal. I'll see if I can ut some browns in the holes.

@ SkimaskMohwk: Rust pits it'll be!

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Mate. That is stunning. I love the plague censer smoke.

Also, that cements it. I just don't like the GW Death Guard stuff, cause that model makes me want to build a Death Guard army in a way that none of the official stuff does.

Dragonlover

Stunning work dude! I must say I was a little apprehensive with the bulging neck when it was just bare putty, but the paint job and extra boils really blend it in nicely. It is stunning that you can get this stuff painted so quickly - I really need to just focus more on my stuff to get it done!!

I think my only criticism, is not enough grime, steaks and other nastiness on the armour, but that is with me looking to give you something constructive. Otherwise, I love it, especially the green smoke from the brazier!!

Thanks, guys!

I want to ask you something. It has come to my attention that one frater Bania has started this thread, wherein he posts a video of his painting service and a couple pictures of his incarnatino of ADB's First Claw. They are quite indisputably based on my designs from way back in 2015. 

Now, as Oscar Wilde said, "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery". I am flattered, but I'm a bit miffed that he doesn't give me any credit at all - and am actually a bit pissed off that he's now monetizing my designs without giving me credit. 

What do you guys think I should do? 

Replies:

@ Dragonlover: haha go for it! And thanks!

@ Trixie: I love your frater name! 

@ LCE: Cheers! Glad you've come to appreciate the neck. I do like some steaks with grime, but perhaps I should go for rust streaks for this DP's meal. ;)

@ DuskRaider: hahaha oh you!

@ Bjorn Firewalker: The cencer on a chain is from the old GW Skaven Plague Censer/Furnace kit.

First off that Daemon Prince is balls to the wall! Wrecking balls to the walls! Paint job and the green-yellow smoke just ties into the army well! Love to see a pic of him lording over the troops one day!

As for the copycat 1st claw at first glance it seems kinda F’ed up. Yet I shouldn’t judge not knowing their side of the story. Maybe they had seen a pic on google that had been passed around on Pinterest or something where there was no real source and went from there. Did you contact him about this and see if he will give credit where credit is due?

Meh... I mean, copycats will always exist in this hobby. Look at Wilhelm and how much his designs are swiped. I know I've had some of mine copied and I've also taken inspiration from other hobbyists (PDH was a big inspiration for my Minotaur, for example). That said it's obvious he copied yours almost bit for bit, but in the end it's not like you own a copyright to them. I think if anything you could do a better job now than before with models like the Primaris or Bloodwrath, I also hated the semi-squatted and blocky look (especially in the sides) of the GW Chaos Terminator legs.

First, just flat out awesome demon prince. I've enjoyed watching this project since you started it. As for copycatting, it's a mixed bag. I always try to acknowledge people who i've been inspired by, but sometimes if you just forget that you've seen that thing before, or someone with a little more hobby time beats you to the punch. My boss has a saying i've grown fond of: Give people a charitable interpretation of their actions. Maybe they are :cusss who steal and make money off you, maybe they just forget.  Anyway... as always, I'm looking forward to the next great thing out of your imagination!

Every one else has already said it but wow man the Deamon prince is amazing and I recon it must be about time for some army shots. And I know we've joked about it before and how you feel the death guard takes much longer but 8 hours is an epic session to get such a model painted fully to such a good standard. I realy feel like it shows off how dry brushing and other techniques can be taken and used by a good painter to great effect.

As for the copy Cat I can definitely see just how close those models are the pose and at least half is near identical and the bits are very nearly like for like... 

That said I would call for calm and sensible approach as it could easily blow up into some realy nasty stuff and this board is better than that. So Guys please leave any comments or contact with Den of imagination to Augustus and the Mods it's all to easy to feel like your going in to give support of give that 'Guy a piece of your mind' but it won't help. Advise Augustus here or in pm but please don't overstep the boundaries that all parts of the Gaming industry sees far to often. 

As four advise I find it hard to see that he didn't look at WIPs or parts lists as they are just to close to your models, however there is two other possibilities when he may not have known

1. the client built the models and paid for the painting in which case the painter may not have known the inspiration source. 

2. the WIPs are sitting in a pin interest or google image search close together, it wouldn't be the first time a google search has the same model in many stages of WIP to look at.

If in the case of 1 it's a fair cop and now he knows he can credit, in the case of 2 well it's not hard to follow a link to the source file locations and galleries and pulling him up on it seems fair though I would use PMs first. Any case where he used this thread for the build isn't really on not to give credit and is basically like recasting in that he's taking advantage of your creative efforts for monetary gain. Though I'd have used PMs first for the primary way of communication.

Daemon prince looks great. Tentacle hand for the win. You can see now what a good job you've done with the face, the jaw parts particularly. You've done a great job of Nurgling up the various parts that need it, the jump pack for example. Great model. The pose looks like a better fit now it's painted for some reason. Love it. Really unique Nurgle Daemon Prince.

Random event. On a hot dark and tired night I had my window open. I thought a massive cockroach had come in and died. I even poked it with a stick before realising it was this daemon prince's fly arm that must have fallen off. Goes to show what a good insect sculpt it is. Felt pretty silly. :ermm:

9369f415-d4b8-43cf-a288-fb4bb30ab28d.jpe

Your First Claw are first rate. No wonder ADB loves them. They are the definitive version. I was blown away when I saw them myself on Eternal Hunt. When I opened the thread in hall of fame I saw your name and naturally assumed they were yours at first, until closer inspection. It would be nearly impossible to make the First Claw without being inspired by yours.

Althoguh I'd second Mechanist's call for calm. If he has stolen them (could be commision) he is a clearly a big fan, like the rest of us. Everyone will have their own ideas about how much copying is a faux pas. I myself have copied loads of stuff and think that's what makes these forums great, everyone sharing and helping each other. I too have made plenty of mistakes and faux pas learning the etiquette of the forum.

Edited by Krakendoomcool

The words I spoke when i saw that DP can not be written on this forum ... the wait was well worth while Aug! he looks like an absolutely repugnant beast!

As for the copy catting, it would have been nice of them to acknowledge your inspiration ... but anyone who has seen your work would know they have drawn inspiration from your it :) 

The prince looks disgustingly lovely. I did notice in pic 3 it looks like there is still a bit of extra flash/sprue right behind the metal bit where the green smoke starts and I can't unsee it. 

As for the copy cat, that's a little harder for me to chime in on as I haven't experienced that kind of issue before. I do think keeping calm is a good idea though. Just not really sure what can be done about it.

Thanks for the overwhelming comments on the Prince and the copycat, guys!

Let me be clear: I am absolutely fine with people copying my ideas - I really find it flattering. I take the minutely copying of every single detail - poses, bits, even placement of trophies - of my First Claw as a compliment. I have no problems at all with it. I just think that the fact that he's not referencing me at all is just bad form. Such behaviour isn't good for this forum nor for the entirety of our community. One should give credit where credit is due. 

Credit should always be given. For example, I am eternally greatful to DuskRaider for his fantastic Death Guard colour scheme, to Brother Heinrich for his Contemptor engine swap and plasma cannon enhancement, and to a great number of other people that inspired me. And I always reference them and most of the time link to them. It creates trust and promotes and open atmosphere where we all feel good sharing ideas. Not giving credit in my opinion is bad form, that diminishes all those things. 

I wouldn't have been as miffed as I have when this guy was just a sole hobbyist making a social faux pas. But Den of Imagination is a professional studio, and they're making money off my idea. I'm not after that money at all but I think that if you're monetizing on someones else's ideas, your should at least acknowledge that you are. 

Now, they could, as Mechanist has suggested, been ignorant of my work. But then the guy who sent them the miniatures for them to paint, should have given credit. So I sent them a polite PM here and on their FB page asking to credit me in all their publications. That's it. I'm not going to call the cops or get a lawyer. I don't want money, I just want them to do the decent thing.

Anyway...

Replies!

@ hushrong: Thanks on the DP! About the copycats: I'm not judging, just stating the facts. There's a copy of my work with no credit given. I'm fine with a correction, that's all. :)

@ Kizzdougs: Cheers!

@ Brother Chaplain Kage: ooooh you may have taken my comment completely wrong: I wasn't dissing on you, I was just trying to get you to finish yours  - that beefed-up Bloodthirster was looking so mighty fine and promising, it'd be a shame if it wouldn't be, wouldn't it :) Seriously, BCK, ono offence meant :tu:

@ DuskRaider: I don;t mind the copycatting - hell, I copied your paint scheme. But credit should be given, no? And no, I don't own copyright (although I might if push comes to shove I might actually have (But it never will, as this isn't about rights or money)) but that's not the point. The point is it is an exact copy and credit should be given where credit is due. How would you have felt had I copied your excellent paint scheme and not have mentioned your work or thread at all? That'd have been bad form. 

@ Eldrick Shadownbale: Well, this isn;t a case of forgetting that you've seen something before. This guy has minutely studied my pictures and copied me - all details are exactly the same. Your boss sounds like a smart dude: always give someone the benefit of the doubt. I have, which is why I sent them a polite email. :)

@ mechanist: I know right? Drybrushing has become a lost art (at least for me). So I'm glad I took it up again. You're absolutely right. I'm not worried that this will blow up as I am not after money or anything. It's not on the level of IP. To me, it's about decency and the effect a lack thereof could negatively affect the community.

@ Markus_: Thank you!

@ Krakendoomcool: Hahaha that's an awesome random event and story. I LOL'd! 

@ Dantay_VI: Dude! Would you be willing to make some artwork for me? To use for the SOUL VOW satellite event that I always organize for the Chaos ETL forum?

@ Sagentus: Oh please dooo ;) And thanks for the support. :)

@ Skeggold: Cheers! And welcome to my thread! I hope you like the rest as well. ;)

@ guardian31: Yeah, I saw that too - it's the light that caught it on the picture - it's almost invisible in real life. But it definitely made me go NOOOOOO

Started work on my trio of Myphitic Blight Haulers! 

X93Bp00.jpg

Of course, their frontal canopies will be converted. I'm trying another Death Guard symbol:

3lULJHX.jpg

Plus the broken-out brains idea I had before:

gXGWWg0.jpg

And altering the smoke stacks on his second canopy. These are made from the sprue the Hauler came on!
LOEDyun.jpg

I hope you like them so far :)

Cheers!

Replies:

@BCK: Phew! Now, get to work on that Bloodthirster! Please? :D

@ wilks_: Cheers! How's your ETL vow going?

Bit late to the party but that Prince looks even better than I expected.(and I have some high expectations of you aug)
Absolutely love that green flame effect.

Can't wait to see him in person the tabletop, when are we having that rematch?

EDIT: When I read your comment about Den of Imagination having made a first claw "inspired" by yours without crediting you my first reaction was: "You don't get to complain about someone making something that looks similar to yours while you yourself didn't come up with the characters to begin with." A long thought, I know. 

But then I opened the links and hoooooooooo boy, this is beyond similar. For a second I thought you'd sold off yours and they'd repainted them. So I'm with you on this, "their" version is so close that is no longer really their creation and the way they're presenting it implies that they can come up with characters like these when commissioned.

Tl;dr mentioning you would have been the right thing to do.

Edited by Maarten