++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

Thanks, guys, for the ton of feedback. The general tone is "don't go overboard with the tentacles, you might clutter the tank up". I agree completely, and decided to do only three tentacles (ok four, but three locations), and only some cabling on the back, where the tank was relatively 'clean'. 

I also added some small patches of crackle paint to give the 'clean' armour a little variety next to the damage.

Here's pictures:

Tentacles

One on top of the right side sponson

VmrMfDu.jpg

A longer on in front of the right side sponson:

IXRk5ZB.jpg

And two coming from the same spot on top of the tank, also to break up the relatively flat plane that is the result from my smoothing over the vented area.

MeAb3jD.jpg

Engine

The engine part or the Sagittarius kit is designed for the Mars pattern Land Raider, so there is some awkward connecting between the MkIIb exhausts and the engine plate of the Saggitarius kit. I fixed this by adding a ton of greenstuff, which I will be painting as a cancerous growth, that holds the middle between fleshy colour and the normal armour colour.

LhbUCQJ.jpg

Back

The back has some major cables added, that spruce forth from the cancerous growth, and which introduce some more on the lower parts. 

V3Q9nyr.jpg

Dozer Blade

The, finally, I added some buboes to the dozer blade.

uQZ4r7H.jpg

Also, because the dozer blade is kind of finicky and has moving parts, I worried that it would break off during transport. So I magnetized the 'holders' to the blade itself. Easy!

bHZV0Iq.jpg

Hope you like! Comments and feedback welcome!

Cheers!

Replies (sooo many replies! Thanks!)

@ DuskRaider: I'll start painting tomorrow morning! And no, I don't know Voltron. Well, I can remember my cousing having a huge transformer that was built from 5 smaller transformers. But they had feline characteristics in my memory. But this memory is from the mid 80's, so it's not the best one. 

@ Maarten: I would never remove those air filters! Also - is that what they are! I am planning to paint them in rusted metal and do the tops in a sickly shiny green, like the plasma glow on my plasma guns. Mold lines will be cleaned up a bit - they will also be hidden by the fact that the tracks will get a sloppy layer of Typhus Corrosion before drybrushing them with metal.

@ Sgt. Blank: Cheers! But I like tentacles! Also: thanks for the compliment on Typhus! :smile.:

@ ElDuderino: What do you think? I heeded your advice and was super hesitant to clutter it up.

@ Pandoras Bitz Box: Thanks for the excellent feedback - I heeded it all! What do you think?

@ Bjorn Firewalker: Haha cheers, buddy! BTW: Do you actually walk on fire?

@ ElDuderino: Right here! :smile.:

@ Maarten: Thanks for the self promotion! I can see that you're keeping your eye on this here thread, you lurker you! :wink:

@ Quixus: Yeah, but those look super cool too. Incidentally, this Land Raider now has the exact same dimensions as a Spartan!

@ Krakendoomcool: Less superhero-y is what I was going for, so I'm glad you spotted that :biggrin.:

@ The Traitor: A few buboes were added - sorry! 

@ rednekkboss: I did just that! Hurray! Hopefully Grandpa Nurgle will bless me again... 

@ hushrong: I hope you're OK with what I've done. What is so special about the havoc launchers?

@ Hungry Nostraman Lion: Is that a question where to get them? Here. The craters and dents were done with a dremel tool .:smile.:

@ Chaplain Dosjetka: Cheers! But... extra armour? There is none! :ohmy.: What did you mean? :smile.:

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

The lander raider is just looking better and better every time I see her. I like the tasteful addition of the tentacles! They look good and well placed. The idea for the growth on the back isinteresting. I am kind of wondering if this land raider runs on promethium or something else entirely now.

I also just think you found the perfect spot to place the havoc launcher on the LR. I have been loving havoc launchers on tanks this edition and I want them on all my vehicles. I had just been wondering where to put it on mine. Now I know who I am going to copycat.

I also just think you found the perfect spot to place the havoc launcher on the LR. I have been loving havoc launchers on tanks this edition and I want them on all my vehicles. I had just been wondering where to put it on mine. Now I know who I am going to copycat.

Cheers, buddy! The normal Land Raider has an excellent spot for the Havoc Launcher, which is, I think, made for that specific use. Here it is on a former Land Raider build of mine:

Hidden Content
fm1vuA0.jpg

I hope this helps :)

Oh yeah. You are right haha. That is what that spot is for!:teehee:

The reason why I like your placement more is because it has a lower profile. I just like how it looks plus, it will be easier to transport without the launcher sticking too far out.

The problem with that placement is that you will need the sagittarius kit for that, as that kit includes a replacement of the engine top plate that includes the designated spot on the standard Mars Pattern kit. 

I think it looks splendid. Not too overboard, but at this point don't add anything other than paint. I find it difficult to stop with Nurgle stuff and it's a thin line between awesomely corrupted and overdone.

Man, I think the tentacles really compliment the rest of the model super well, I love those short fat reaching tantacles dotted around the tank. I also really like the sagging pipes at the back. This tank is freaking amazing. I'm super Jealous... I need to Tzeentch up my landraider to make myself feel better...

Awesome work man, I hope you have disgusting dreams about this rusty pustuless tank.

@ Quixus: Yeah, but those look super cool too. Incidentally, this Land Raider now has the exact same dimensions as a Spartan!

It needs moar dakka then :wink:

The Spartan is sooo much coooler than the Phobos Land Raider.

Edited by Quixus

The engine part or the Sagittarius kit is designed for the Mars pattern Land Raider, so there is some awkward connecting between the MkIIb exhausts and the engine plate of the Saggitarius kit. I fixed this by adding a ton of greenstuff, which I will be painting as a cancerous growth, that holds the middle between fleshy colour and the normal armour colour.

Aww man I was hoping that wouldn't happen.

@ Maarten: I would never remove those air filters! Also - is that what they are! I am planning to paint them in rusted metal and do the tops in a sickly shiny green, like the plasma glow on my plasma guns.

Yup, like those on krieg tanks. Surprised you hadn't caught onto that piece of design language. Tom from B&S Industries wanted something else than the basic LR rear deck, which is also why it has those vent slots instead of the slanted vents on SM tanks. I even still had that model laying around. As you can see it isn't as refined as the version that made it into production. But it was dropped due to a fear of GW actually suing us if we got that close.

Lastly:

Tentacles

YES!

Edited by Maarten

Now that's a tank! I admire your ability to add so much detail to a vehicle without cluttering them, my own ideas often turns to a box with random stuff glued to it.

I'm sure you've answered this already, but what do you use for all those buboes? It seems like they'd make some nice studs for marine shoulders or rivets

Cheers, team!

I had hoped to finish the Land Raider this weekend, but the sun was shining, friends came along for coffee, and I had to work almost the entire Sunday. So I have only been able to do priming and the cream and green colours, and about half of the Typhus Corrosion on the tracks and the tank itself. I had feared the large armour panels would yield a very different vibe than the infantry miniatures I've been doing so far, but all in all I think it's coming along nicely.

I learned something too - namely that SD's kits need a good soapy rinse before priming. I forgot to do that, and used PVA to glue on some glass beads for buboes. I then primed it, based it, washed it, and started drybrushing, after which some buboes just flaked off. So I threw the whole thing in StMarc paint stripper, rinsed it clear after about an hour, dried it with toilet paper and a hair dryer, and glued on glass  micro beads using super glue and an accelerator. Then primed, and did the whole thing quick snap!

Here's some pictures of where I am now.

8jvNB2j.jpg

1e4jbgm.jpg

NkuMUlk.jpg

NivW9zk.jpg

8rjgNbv.jpg

I hope you like what you see and welcome C&C.

I'm particularly interested in what you think of the green detailing - is it too little? If so, where to add more? I don't want to know if it is too much, as that would mean stripping the whole tank again.

Anyway, let me know!

Cheers!

Replies:

@ hushrong: Nope, it's the entire back plate. I looked though and I think you could still pull off the same trick with the normal Land Raider kit. Although I really think you should reconsider just using the standard position of the Havoc Launcher. It looks fine!

@ DuskRaider: Cheers, yeah I agree - there's so much you can do for nurglification, it's easy to do too much. It's a fine line as always. 

@ Pandoras Bitz Box: You're jealous and now want to paint your own (Tzeentchian) Land Raider? JUST AS PLANNED! ;) Dooo itttt!

@ Quixus: Haha I was thinking about that. I think if you use a normal plastic Land Raider with the Sagitarrius kit, and upgrade the Twinlascannons on the side to Quad Lascannons, that one could pass it off as a Spartan. That would cost about the same in cash as a Spartan would, so why one would choose this option makes it kind of a moot option...

@ Maarten: Not to worry! I fixed it easily with some growths. Even a loyalist MkIIb Land Raider with the Saggitarius kit is possible: it just requires some extra plasticard work to work. Anyone attempting the kit should be a sufficiently proficient hobbyist to pull it off.

@ ElDuderino: The Buboes are 1mm Glass Micro Beads that you can get for almost nothing from Ebay. Just glue them on with a bit of watered down PVA or fast drying wood glue, wait to dry, give it another dab of the same glue, and done! They can be and I have also used them as rivets. Make sure to drill a hole with a very tiny depth, dab a 1mm nail in superglue, dab the hole with the glue, then pick up a bead with a wet finger, and place it in the hole. Boom: rivet. Done.

@ Kizzdougs: Cheers, buddy! Glad you like it!

So you got that beast up to a drybrushing stage, stripped it, then did it again? I'm over here shaking my head that you have done a ton more painting than I have in years on a single tank. And you did it quick and so nicely!:wacko.: Kudos dude!

I must also say the paint job is looking fantastic! I think you have the perfect amount of green too. The sides running down the sponson and doors looks perfect. Then the strip of green on the plow and forward ramp look great. The only thing I could think of is adding a square, diamond, or a similar shape and putting a numerical designation on the forward sides of the LR, like where it is recessed. Or maybe the remnants of a designation marking since there are some gouges in the armor. Totally not necessary though.

Really though, you've captured the Legions HH paint scheme very well already. It's also great to see your take on the DG LR after loving the details on your NL ones.

The Landraider is looking great. The crackle paint has worked a treat and those rusty tracks are looking good already. How do you do your rust?

The green is looking good as it is tying this into the legion colours. If your looking to add more green then the front window area has no green at the moment. I would add more here if that's what your looking to do.

Much obliged, I've been looking for a better way to do riveta, now to find some beads. I don't trust eBay for some reason, maybe in just old:)

Land raider looks positively disgusting, as expected, you were always the king of chaos vehicles as far as I'm concerned!

Cheers, gang. 

@ Pearson73: Housings? What do you mean?

@ Brother Lunkhead: haha cheers, buddy! And welcome to the thread - I don't remember ou commenting here before - I appreciate it!

@ hushrong: Nah, just the blade of the dozer was done again - not the entire tank! I like your designation idea - but fear that a transfer is out of the question because of the damage. I'll think about it. :)

@ Krakendoomcool: The rust is just Typhus Corrosion over white, then Ryza Rust here and there over the Corrosion. Then a Leadbelcher drybrush over that. Also: front window? You mean the vision slit next to the twin heavy bolter?

@ ElDuderino: I've PM'd you some info on the beads. ;)

@ Eldrick Shadowblade: Darkening the rust?There'll be a drybrush of Leadbelcher over the brown/orange still!

Maaaaannn... So. Cool. I love how this osncoming along. I havemt been able to look at the pictures in detail yet (on my phone) but rhw over all gmsuggesriin looks nice. If yo were to add more green i woukd suggest that the ram and the sides look fine and mybe you need a bit more on the body? I rhink if anywhere somewhere on the main bodybto complimemt the door? First i wase thinking the ver cool top hald of the door could do with something to draw the eye a bit more to its nice detailing bit i noticed you have done the lower half in green. Hmmm... I find it difficult to suggest anything a a feel like im in the pits giving racing tips to an F1 driver.

"Nice try, have you tried making it better?"

Ahhh, I got mixed up big time regarding SD's kit. I was thinking of the rear section of the tank for some reason and thought you had to redo the whole thing. At least it was the bit you magnetized so that makes it a bit easier.

As for the designation markers you'd have to probably be fancy and freehand them if you went with it. ANother idea maybe would be to paint runes on the tank with green paint? Maybe like Sons of Horus with their rune markings on their armor and vehicles. Just another idea.