++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

Haha, I remember seeing that Khârn firsthand when I visited you -- I love how you've replaced the chain on the arm with actual chain that looks quite a bit less tacky! It'll be good to see this guy painted -- and what a worthy last vow, indeed! :)

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!!

Khârn is finished.

b9PWNi5.jpg

G6uDzIs.jpg

Hidden Content

Ti6Vt12.jpg

PaJ1p69.jpg

ru7LXHX.jpg

UxsfFVS.jpg

qXQlA8O.jpg

It's actually super scary for me to blow this guy up like this - that's about what - five times life size? Every teeny tiny mistake is visible - and there's a TON! But I swear to you when I look at it, it looks fine. 

And with that, my contributions to the Chaos ETL is finished! I cannot believe I don't have anything to do with three days to go, but that's what the new job and relationship has brought. I have already build and converted two Foul Blightspawn, and I have an insane Daemon Prince idea rumaging around in my head. 

Anyway, thanks a lot for looking here and the comments. you guys and gals really add to my inspiration and motivation to just build and paint, and you guys have made this thread possible, all 191 pages of it. Thanks!

Cheers.

Replies!

@ hushrong: That's a very smart policy. I have the same now, and started it with my Imperial Fists. All of those miniatures where build in Formations. When 8th hit, the army didn't fit anymore and I sold it. With the Death Guard, I have kinda gone back to collecting everything, but not by much. My buddy Dean is also a Death Guard player, and I just buy what he puts in his lists. :D Glad you liked the modified Khârn - I hope he lives up to your expectiations. :)

@ guardian31: I hope yuo like him!

@ KrautScientist: Far better, no? It took me long enough to paint him - he sat on my shelf unpainted for more than a year!!

Been on your thread a little while now, I don't know why I can't just get used to the speed you do things. I should just stick 'Augustus is a machine' into my banner and be done with it.

Amazing effort for the ETL. An army shot of all the stuff you've done for this is going to be spectacular.

Cheers, you two!

Now that I'm finished, I can tae it a bit easier without the pressure of the ETL. So I'm celebrating and converted up two Foul Blightspawn. 

So for clarification, here's a hidden picture of the stock miniature. 

Hidden Content
99070102002_DeathGuardFoulBlightSpawn01.

And here's the two guys I converted.

The first one is relatively simple. I altered the direction of his gaze so that he looks slightly ore upwards. I also exchanged the muzzle of his Blight Sprayer with the muzzle of a Plague Belcher, and closed up the cracks in his belly - all to make him slightly different from the stock miniature.

PDortmJ.jpg

Wh5qcJR.jpg

The second one has a bit more conversion work in him. I changed his legs for those of a Plague Marine, giving him a completely different stance - I also added a trophy skull and a bell to his loin cloth. Like the previous one, his helmet's gaze is different, now looking way to his lower right. I completely removed the right arm, and exchanged it for a differently posed arm with a different pauldron. 

GvcuaO2.jpg

YhaNKZD.jpg

I love the idea of the Foul Blightspawn's miniature. In addition, it's by far the best Elite choice in the Death Guard codex - I had one in a game last Friday and he single handedly shot two Culexus Assassins and a squad of five Sicarian Infiltrators. I also had a Biologis Putrifier and I have no idea why one would ever want one of those instead of a Foul Blightspawn.

Anyway, cheers!

Replies:

@ ElDuderino: Thanks! The Red is FW Word Bearers Red shaded with GW Rhinox Hide. Simple, yet effective :)

@ Krakendoomcool: E, you could do that, or just keep coming back and figure it out I guess? :D I'll do the army shot tomorrow. :tu:

Cool conversions! I've got a hunch that these monopose DG minis aren't the easiest to convert, great job on these. Maybe try changing the head of one of them? That'd really differentiate them. And just out of curiosity, what are those small robot arms supposed to be? (I'm not familiar with these new models nor the newer fluff)

And the red, it's just one color and a shade? No highlight? That seems like a timesaver :)

I love the idea of the Foul Blightspawn's miniature. In addition, it's by far the best Elite choice in the Death Guard codex - I had one in a game last Friday and he single handedly shot two Culexus Assassins and a squad of five Sicarian Infiltrators. I also had a Biologis Putrifier and I have no idea why one would ever want one of those instead of a Foul Blightspawn.

Instead of a Foul Blightspawn? I agree. But the Biologis Putrifier is also really useful because of his grenade buff. If given the chance, I'd usually have at least one of each of the Blightspawn and Putrifier in a match.

Edited by Gederas

Holy crap, I haven't checked bolter for like a week as my brother has been up and the rate of the progress you've made is making me feel ill. I'm getting motion sickness trying to keep up. I love all these models your churning out man, im so jealous of how much your getting done with no apparent loss of quality. fantastic.

Daemon Prince build time, and I need your feedback. 

As I've written before, I am trying to make a Nurgle Daemon Prince using the Mourngul miniature as a base. 

The basic concept will look something like this, but with a ton of cabing running from his arms to his torso, and coming from the torn-off underside. I want this to look as mechanically fleshy as possible, instead of as just torn-off ghoul-y. 

L2jYxsj.jpg

My main thing is, he will be a FLYING Daemon Prince - and even though the Mourngul is supposed to be some ind of spirit/ghost-like thing, this Daemon Prince will be something made of a facsimile of (daemon) flesh. So in order for it to be able to fly, it either needs something mechanical like a Jump Pack (but that has already been done on my first Nurgle Daemon Prince; or it needs wings. Enter some plastic wings from the AoS Crypt Flayers Kit:

0Pf8A0M.jpg

But that also introduces an ancillary problem: it becomes even more top heavy - while the only support strut is in a 5mm thick resin wrist - not sturdy enough for my kind of gaming/transportation needs. It will need more support struts. Enter a pice of GW plastic ruins, which will incorporate a cleverly (if I may say so myself) disguised pin. 

iVM7eSr.jpg

Now, that would give me enough structural strength to make the wings even more heavy - the original idea was to give him wings from the OOP metal Nightmare kit: behold:

JCyPcvc.jpg

Now, my question to you is: plastic Crypt Flayer wings or metal Nightmare wings?

Any other suggestions regarding this conversion - which will be pretty involved anyway, are most, most welcome. I appreciate any feedback on this, actually! :D :tu:

Let me know!

Cheers

Replies!

@ ElDuderino: Actually they are not as hard as you might think. They're still marine kits that follow a certain structure. The only issue is: being afraid to damage parts with your hobby saw. I have no fears when it comes to that, as I know I can just fill up those damaged details with a bit of putty and/or some glass beads to resemble pustules. You have no idea how many crimes I've hidden with some microbeads in my Nurgle Collection!

@ rednekkboss: I''m looking forward to your final entry!

@ Midnight Runner: Hey buddy!  thanks for stopping by again - and the compliment. I'm glad you like him. I swear the worst crimes in the blown up pictures are only just, just visible on the actual miniature. 

@ Soulhunter1995: Cheers, buddy! Thanks for stopping by! I like your forum name!

@ KrautScientist: Thank you! I take that as extremely high praise, coming from you!:laugh.:

@ Gederas: If given the choice I would always go for a FB. The Grenade buff given by the BP is strong, but far more situational than FB's spray, overwatch, and negative charge mods.

@ Pandoras Bitz Box: Haha thanks, buddy. I really appreciate your following this thread so closely, and always giving such elaborate and constructive feedback. It's very useful and highly appreciated! I've seen you do the same for other threads here, and kudo's to you! You're a merit to this forum!

I dunno how you guys follow Nurgle. His blessings knocked me on my rear this weekend. Couldn't get much of anything done but some KT games.

But in that time you worked like a beast! For starters your Khârn is great. That deep red and vibrant flesh looks great on the mini. I also may have to steal your conversion for the arm wrapped in chains if I pick up ol' Khârn for myself. The blightspawn also look great. He is a big guy with that backpack of his! I never realized he was that huge! Now I am trying to figure out if I could use that in a conversion for my army because he looks so dang cool. And that Daemon Prince is AWESOME! I say the plastic wings since they have more defined detail. I wonder if bigger wings like morathi's would look awesome of be over the top on your daemon prince.

Congratulations on the great ETL results a very impressive collection of models.

The Daemon prince is looking promising, I say that actually hovering isn't an issue for Daemons take the disk of Tzeentch for example. The laws of physics don't really apply but myths legends and expectations are far more important.

On the other hand I think the raggedy feather wings would be amazing. I can't remember which model they come from but I know something has a pair.

Loving the new Daemon Prince, its looking awesome. :tu:

That being said, the wings look bit goofy. Actually, they look a lot goofy :lol: They're way too small.

My main thing is, he will be a FLYING Daemon Prince - and even though the Mourngul is supposed to be some ind of spirit/ghost-like thing, this Daemon Prince will be something made of a facsimile of (daemon) flesh. So in order for it to be able to fly, it either needs something mechanical like a Jump Pack (but that has already been done on my first Nurgle Daemon Prince; or it needs wings.

From the Death Guard codex:

"Some Daemon Princes can even fly, enormous insect wings or spiraling vortices of noxious fumes carrying them across the battlefield"

You could use, say, the AoS Spirit Hosts as billowing smoke coming from the torn in half area of the body, which would also add some more structural integrity to the model.

I like the plastic wings for the same reasons as hushrong, also I quite like that they're a bit small. Look atrophied in a sense. And kudos for new DP ideas! Your old Prince was awesome but this wins in originality hands down. Death and starvation seems like it should be more prominent in nurgle, as opposed to rot and fat (and bells and trees haha)

Hmm, interesting concept for a Daemon Prince! I am not a huge fan of the stock model, to be honest, but I am still confident that you'll knock it out of the park! :)

A couple of thoughts:

• from the two sets of wings you posted, I'd go with the plastic wings (as the nightmare wings haven't really aged all that well, if you ask me). However, the other guys are right in that the wings are a bit small -- off the top of my head, how about the Manticore wings from the WGB/AoS Manticore?
  • I do think you should give him some kind of tattered cowl.
  • regarding the question of adding that ruin and/or having all kinds of organic stuff emerging from his lower torso, I just want to point out that the model's lack of a lower body is very much its main gimmick, and it heavily influences its general look and feel as well as its silhouette. I would therefore be wary of doing anything that would change that element too much -- you could do that, of course, but then why go for this base model in the first place? Plus I'd wager it would draw even more attention to the model's already very weird proportions.
  • I think the blob of poster tac you have used for the wing mock-up suggests that some kind of hunchback would work really well on the model -- and make it look suitably different from the stock creature without messing with the overall design.

Anyway, hope this helps! :)

The wings are comically small. I dunno if you could even find some now, but Balrog wings might be sized more appropriately for this thing. Otherwise, what about some kind of technological anti-grav system implanted into its back? Maybe several tech-looking spines running down the middle of its back. 

Thanks, everyone. The overwhelming concensus goes to the plastic wings, so that's what will happen. 

I did some building, glueing and pinning, both to the miniature itself and to its base. Here's what I have so far. 

kL4FQdz.jpg

Dm3rn2Y.jpg

rATIR3Z.jpg

vsVP717.jpg

I hope you like! 

The base needs a lot of work still. The big challenge will be to make a surface that looks like rock. I took some inspiration from the FW team, and made some small rocks on sticks, which I will be able to use to press in milliput - thereby mimicking the surface. :D
ARSvb7T.jpg

Cheers

Replies:

@ hushrong: I hope you feel better, buddy! The Khârn conversion is super easy to do and I recommend it highly - those weird chains are extremely cumbersome and stupid. Plastic Wings +1

@ Mechanist`: No idea which miniature you mean - ragged feathery sounds more Tzeentchian...

@ gianlucafiorentini123: Cheers, that's a good point for the plastic wings +1

@ Gederas: Ah but then I'd have to buy those spirit hosts, and I have a no-buying more plastic policy in place... ;)

@ ElDuderino: Thanks for the feedback, that's a good point too! Pastic Wings +1

So that's Pastic Wings +1, Metal Wings +0. Seems like an easy choice, eh? ;) :D

The scibor angel or death is probably the model I was reminded of.

https://images.beastsofwar.com/2012/03/Scibor-Angel-of-Death.jpg

The wings from a Tomb Kings Carrion would also work kind of the style or a ragged winged reaper much like the epic mortarion.

It would probably be doable with other feather wings with a little Dremel work to remove some feathers and add some ragged flesh and some bones to get a similar but more modern and less clunky version of the carrion wings.

Thanks! Good ol' robitussin, Sunny D, and hours of sleep have been my saving grace!

The updated DP is getting even better! Getting those Christmas Carol spooky vibes with the cables drifting beneath his mass. Like the chains on the ghost that visited Scrooge I wonder if you head those cables whipping or his wings beating as that DP descends on you. If I could have predicted the future that you were doing stuff like this I could have sent you the base stuff from 30k Khârn and Abaddon v. Loken to break up and use for the rubble on the base. I do look forward to seeing how this FW rock trick works out. That looks like a neat hobbying trick!