++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

Loving this, but I definitely agree with JeffTibbets - the rip looks too uniform. Rather than just combine or split different jaggy bits, I'd suggest extending or carving some away as well. JeffTibbets' drawing is a pretty good guide, methinks. Really great work overall, love how well you've combined the Night Lords and Nurgle aesthetic with this model.

It is especially the left as you look at it (model's right) that is a little too uniform, I would think that side would be less broken apart as it looks less out of shape. Furthermore, I would try to blend in the metal gs bit to the metal plastic bit a little more as there are some gaps.

However, that is beautiful so far, this guy will look fantastic.

This looks Nurglish and so that's enough to make me dislike it harder than a blinkered horse, but it's certainly well made. Love the ...collar? above his head too.

cheers, the collar is now finally transfixed so that the head can be put in later. :tu:

Loving this, but I definitely agree with JeffTibbets - the rip looks too uniform. Rather than just combine or split different jaggy bits, I'd suggest extending or carving some away as well. JeffTibbets' drawing is a pretty good guide, methinks. Really great work overall, love how well you've combined the Night Lords and Nurgle aesthetic with this model.

Will fix it - and thanks mate. I'm actually still amazed how well Plague Marines look in midnight clad. Even Typhus doesn;t look too strange in dark smurf.

It is especially the left as you look at it (model's right) that is a little too uniform, I would think that side would be less broken apart as it looks less out of shape. Furthermore, I would try to blend in the metal gs bit to the metal plastic bit a little more as there are some gaps.

However, that is beautiful so far, this guy will look fantastic.

Thanks, will try hacking away some of the 'metal' folds. What do you mean with the 'metal plastic bit'? If you mean the loincloth: I can't, I want to keep the torso and the legs seperate and magentized, for easy transport. All my contemptors are built that way and I'm a stickler with that rule :D

Like so many others have said it's goo to see you getting back to some of the murderous rank and file. As the contents of my thread attest I love building marine infantry and I love to see stellar examples from others, too. Those Chosen look suitably hard.

Have to laud the ambition of the Contemptor and the guts (pun definitely intended) to try out the idea on such an expensive piece. I'd be terrified of ruining it! Going to be another one echoing Jeff and say that rougher, less uniform armour where the entrails have burst from will set it looking just right. I'm sure you'll pull it off.

OK, new update. I sharpened the edges a little, cut away some of them completely to make it look less uniform and I addressed the issue Teetengee mentioned with three (nurgle symbol anyone?) hanging skulls and some old-fashioned battle damage. What do you think?

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/temporary_zps803c6e0d.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/temporary_zpsbcd09655.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/temporary_zps6dcc4cc2.jpg

Like so many others have said it's goo to see you getting back to some of the murderous rank and file. As the contents of my thread attest I love building marine infantry and I love to see stellar examples from others, too. Those Chosen look suitably hard.

Have to laud the ambition of the Contemptor and the guts (pun definitely intended) to try out the idea on such an expensive piece. I'd be terrified of ruining it! Going to be another one echoing Jeff and say that rougher, less uniform armour where the entrails have burst from will set it looking just right. I'm sure you'll pull it off.

Haha I thought you started with the puns when you wrote "...it's goo to see you..." ;)  Yeah man I really rediscovered my love marines - although I can't let go of vehicles altogether. I'll try to get back to previous hobby rythm of 1 vehicle, 1 squad, 1 vehicle, 1 squad etc. . I'm thinking of my newest project already: making the NL trilogy 1st claw 10th company in truescale :D 

Waiting for some more greenstuff work to dry on the contemptor (I promise, Flint, that he will have ample trophies), I decided to get to work on the Rhino I vowed for the CoCVII.

I used the Chaos Rhino Trim and the Chaos Rhino Tracks produced by fellow Frater Subtle Discord. Not only is SD a very nice guy, who communicates well with his clients, but his work is truly impressive.  I am very much impressed by this kit - soo much crisp detail and the fit is just perfect! :tu: 

Here's the result of a couple of hours work.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/temporary_zpscc8651ef.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/temporary_zps92043cfd.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/temporary_zps7db01a94.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/temporary_zpsbeebb826.jpg

And these aren't even all of the parts of trim in the kit! I decided to leave some off to make room for the Night Lord iconography and trophies. There's still tons of pieces left to decorate a predator I'm working on! :tu: :tu:

Omigosh that trim kit looks awesome. 

It's detailed without looking overly cramped or a pain to paint. 

I'm sure you'll do both it and the rhino (gory) justice!

Is it a Rhino dedicated to one of the Chaos gods, or a garden variety Night Lord whip?

You're a machine, man. Just relentless hobby awesomeness. Wish I had your appetite to tackle vehicles, I've got more than enough sitting around waiting for some attention. and they do provide such a great canvas for putting details onto. That Rhino looks spot on.

Replies:

@Calgar 2.0: Hehehe do it! ;) Thanks mate. 

@Marqol: Yeah man, I totally recommend you get it. They're sold out right now, but be sure to send SD an email and he'll probably contact you for his next batch. About the combi bolters: I try to mix as many bits as possible. Chaos should not look unified.

@forte: They're real, I can assure you. Get one - I'd love to see a true astartes vehicle in your awesome paint style.

@Barabbas Sogalon: Cheers mate. He is a cheerful fragger isn't he :D I'm still brooding on his fluff, any ideas?

@deathspectersgt7: Thanks man. But 'PA'? Personal Assistant? Public Affairs? Pennsylvania? Performance Assessment? Pre Approved? Performing Arts? Power Amplifier? Port Authority? Precision Architecture? Punjabi? Pernicious Anemia? Post Apocalypse? Posterior Anterior? Pathetic Australian? Pay Attention? Positive Attitude? Prince Albert? Please enlighten me :huh.: :wink:

@Flint13: Thanks Flint! Yeah it's a great kit. I shouldn't have cut the ends diagonally though, but oh well. It's going to be a vanilla Night Lords rhino. I only have two of those, and they're from almost two years ago, back when I was still painting the midnight clad WAY too light. 

@Knight of the Raven: Thanks mate. I feel like a derp, but 'rhinocastors'? No idea what you're referring to :D

@sockwithaticket: My thanks! Yeah I love vehicles, but as said before I'm looking much forward to doing some marines again :D I'd love for you to do some vehicles amn, they'd look awesome. That dread of yours for example looks swee-heet. :tu:

Ah, that kind of PA... DOHHHH! *facepalm* :wallbash: lolz ...Well, with the chosen I have in the pipeline (and me having scrolled though Brother Heinrich's thread entirely once again) his will be done soon enough.

In the meantime, a little idea I had to wrap up the build of the Plague Contemptor. As you see the chaos trim is now spiky, only needing the 1mm beads for rivets. I thought about how most plague marine models have cloven hoove-shaped power armour boots, and though ti would be nice to also sculpt this on the dread. Here's an example of the right foot (I haven't done the left foot as I dont have any contemptor straight sole righties to spare). What do you think?

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/temporary_zps49d06c7a.jpg

Adding in the cloven hooves will increase the mutation load, good or bad is up to you. In this particular case, I think it needs a little more cloveness and a little more blending in, but it could definitely look quite nice.

Agreed. Cool idea! I do think as Teetengee mentioned they could do with some blending in if you're shooting for an organic look, as though they burst trough or the metal itself split. Right now they look a bit like the artificers added it on. If that's what you're shooting for it's cool. I do think it's a great subtle nod to Nurgle and will be one of those "ah ha!" details that people don't notice right away. Giant sacks of hanging entrails tend to garner most of the immediate attention (they look great, by the way!). 

Thanks for the feedback guys. What I'm aiming for is not to increase the mutated look, but to add in a detail that reminisces the old plague marine look. Most of these guys have cloven frontal armour on their boots, like these guys:

http://sho3box.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/sqdklaus1f1.jpg

So my take on how that happened is because their feet grew so big theat their MkIII armour (the classic DG armour) burst. Even in their feet. All my own plague marines wear MkIII armour (at least from the waist down), 

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/2013-11-15152713_zpsb0276c63.jpg

and I wanted to see if I could make something similar with the my contemptor: basically a feature of MkIII amour, which burst - or at least being a nod to classic plague marine miniatures and to my own MkIII wearing Plague Marines. :D

I will make it look more 'artificery', if you will, with rivets and such. Thanks again! :tu: