++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

Cheers guys! The Corpse Harvesting Party is finished!

*K-CLANG* "Bring out your dead!" *K-CLANG* "Bring out your dead!" *K-CLANG

I tried to give them a very muted colour scheme with a lot of earthly colours - I dare say inspired by Blanche. I worked with a lot of washes and Contrast Paints with drybrushing normal paints over them. I've found that I like to use contrast more as a thick wash rather than as an all-encompassing layer. It's fantastic to experiment with it over metals, such as the copper bits - which are GW Warplock Bronze 'washed' with GW Wyldwood Contrast and then highlighted back up with various shades of copper. 

Another small adition to the unpainted WIPs I showed on the previous page is that I added a plague doctor's beak-like structure to the respirator of the Bone Scrivener. I like to think it that it has achieved a sort of 'creepiness' this guy was lacking before. 

Anyway, long story short, here's pictures:

WDAlC9l.jpg

iVIhTjL.jpg

Individual pics:

Corpse Grinder #1
AXMKk53.jpg

Pale Consort

Z2iBvwj.jpg

Bone Scrivener (not that I added a beak to his Respirator just before painting)
kdKAPnB.jpg

Corpse Grinder #2

BYYFw0Z.jpg

I hope you like them. let me know what you think in some comments :smile.:

Replies:

@ Gederas: Defo looking into it, cheers for the link! I've answered your PM!

@ Sagentus: Ha! Yeah dude, I read the Soul Hunter trilogy back in april 2013 and it was a huuuuuge influence! I painted all my Night Lords in the year after it, started posting on here - which turned out to be a huge motivator - and mostly finished the army with ETLIII (which was also the first Chaos Win). Good times! 

@ Kierdale: Thank you!

@ Majkhel: Ha! She's actually exactly to scale with the other Escher ladies. Her legs aren't a seperate part - the whole body (except the sword, the plasma pistol and the head) are all the inquisitor character miniature that came with every backing of the Daughters of the Burning Rose kickstarter by Anvil Industry. 

@ Bjorn Firewalker: Phew, I don't know? I guess she's wearing a skirt made of actual Leopard skin? 

@ Elzender: Cheers! And good spot!

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

They certainly look brutal and you can reuse the fat guys for a slaver guild. The bone scrivener ticks almost all the boxes for a plague doctor, needs his signature googles Edited by noigrim

They are beautiful! And I still hate your speed haha - that said, you did use contrast paints on them, right? 

Edit: Yep that's me, talking before reading! Haha - great use of them :wub:

Edited by Atia

Thanks guys! 

Spent today painting the Leader, Champions, and Juves that I build for my Goliath gang. Not much to say, so here's pictures.

SwC2woc.jpg

Leader with Plasma Gun, Power Axe, and some kind of holstered pistol.
UdWWXZw.jpg

Champion with Heavy Bolter
cprHuGJ.jpg

Champion with Heavy Stubber

cqnAOoT.jpg

Juve with Dual Stub Guns (with Dum Dum ammo, of course)
qTbjAeQ.jpg

Juve with Stub Gun and Dum Dum Ammo and Flail
rU4CDXw.jpg

Aaaaand here's a picture of all my Goliath so far. :) 

DJNFfpR.jpg

I'm also half-way through painting a Sump Croc, but that's for a later date.

I hope you like them, appreciate your C&C.

Cheers!

Replies:

@ Bjorn Firewalker: Thank you!

@ noigrim: I was actually planning on doing smaller guys armed with chain glaives for the Slaver Guild - they have only one wound, while the Corpse Grinders have two, which I thought would be well-represented by them being bigger :)

@ Freakshow668: Cheers, buddy!

@ teku: Not for a long while, I think. I also won't be going to the Alliance GT... Sorry!

@ Atia: I did use contrast paint on them, but only on the brown and black cloth - and even them I later drybrushed. Also, I used some contrast paints as a wash, which really doesn't count imho. Also you should read first. Also also I hate you on Facebook ;)

@ DuskRaider: Thanks you! I really thought things through with the colour choices, so I'm glad it worked out and they're appreciated. :)

@ Castigator: Wow, thanks, mate! High praise indeed! :tu:

Wait, you're NOT happy with the Zerker by Artel "W" Miniatures? You're really the first person I've heard saying that. I've heard several GW store managers say that FW would have a hard time beating that miniature. But scratch building is an option - and I really need to do it, as I cannot play the Artl W guy in store. So I was thinking of using the free Slaughterpriest that came with the WD a couple years back. Problem is, I cut that guy up too much. And he's too expensive on eBay....

Wait, you're NOT happy with the Zerker by Artel "W" Miniatures? You're really the first person I've heard saying that.

Yeah, since I like about 90% of the Artel stuff. I don't dislike it, but I wouldn't buy one. I think the face and the overly large cables covering him are part of why I don't like it that much, but I can't nail down exactly what it is. 

-SNIP- So I was thinking of using the free Slaughterpriest that came with the WD a couple years back. Problem is, I cut that guy up too much. And he's too expensive on eBay....

I think I might have a spare of that guy if you want it. I'll check when I get home.

Edited by GreyRavenC

Cheers guys! Fairly simple update here - I finished painting 'Ol Snapper, my Goliath Gang's Sump Croc. There's also a new conversion for my leader.

Firts up is 'Ol Snapper. Painted with a variety of green and brown contrast paints as a base, then drybrushed and highlighted up using normal paints, I think I did a nice job for the time I spent on him - about two hours. He's also on a custom resin base that I bought from a guy on Facebook. Can't remember what his name was. I'll have a looksee and give him full credits when I do. My Zerker is also on one of his bases.

sHmOh0P.jpg

Then there's this new leader. I decided I didn't really like the combiplasma pistol as it doesn't have a high setting, so I'm going for a proper plasma pistol instead. The pistol itself is from the Dark Imperium Noxious Blightbringer, while the Power Axe is just a space marine power axe - using the Brute Cleaver arm and haft.

X4FB0ue.jpg

I hope you like them. I've also started converting the next GUild Representatives - from the Slave Guild. I'm amazed to find the AoS Khorne units that came with the boxed set actually are full of manacles - and has a guy with a whip! Perfect for these dude. I'm going to remove all Khornate Iconography. Pics very soon.

Cheers!

Replies:

@ BCK: Fair enough - to each their own. :)

@ DuskRaider: Yeah they're also a good pick and I already saw some really good examples of them. Digging through the starter set AoS also revealed some nifty muscled guys. ;)

@ Bjorn Firewalker: Thank you! I love that you keep commenting. Much appreciated, mate.

@ Eldrick Shadowblade: Yeah I couldn't figure out what to do with his arm, which isn't complete as there's supposed to be the Lord of Blight's shield there. Inspiration struck and the meat hook is the result. :D

@ noigrim: Haha cheers

@ GreyRavenC: Ooooh I'd be very interested in that! I've sent you a PM :tu:

Dude, you're on fire again! Excellent! :)

The Corpse Guild ist quite wonderful! Working with hose fat Nurgle guys is almost a rite of passage, so you can scratch that item off your list now. Regarding the Bone Scrivener, I am feeling strangely torn: The addition of the beak makes total sense, of course, and yet I thought this was such a wonderful use of the Goliath mask. The Pale Consort is probably my favourite of the bunch -- there's just such a gaunt, sinister presence to him.

Excellent work on the Goliaths too, especially on that clever recipe for the juves. And the new leader really looks badass -- I am tempted to say he needs something big and ostentatious on his back to frame his head: feathers, spikes, a trophy pole -- stuff like that.

And I simply love the paintjob on that sump croc -- lovely, lovely work! :)

With the Corpse Harvesting Party Guild Representatives finished, I've started work on the second group of Guild Representatives, the Slaver Entourage of the Slave Guild. 

Here's what I have so far. 
Now, the Chain Lord isn't very original - like almost everyone who did a conversion of this character, I'm using the original AoS starter set's Khornate guy with a whip. He'll be given a proper belly, a Chain Axe, some chains, and a bio-booster and stimm slug stash. The Shakleman hasn't been built yet, but I have arranged for a trade with my mate Bas to acquire a Harpoon Launcher. Now, the Pit Slaves, those are 70% done. 

6299KI4.jpg

Even though, like with the Corpse Guild, the group's two 'body guards' are armed with Chain Glaives, I din't want to reuse the guys I built for the Corpse Guild. The reason is twofold: first, I like converting and reusing miniatures robs me of the chance to build something - and second, the Corpse Guild's Corpse Grinders have two wounds, while the Slave Guild's Pit Fighters have only one. So they need to be less massive, in my view. Enter two of the marauders that came with the AoS started box. Interestingly, many of them have shackle details - perfect for a group of guys out to catch and imprison unsuspecting Hive inhabitants!

This guy is relatively relaxed in his stance - the downward pointing finger is supposed to convey a kind of 'come here' threatening stance.

WjU44TU.jpg

The other dude is more active - actually pointing his chain glaive towards his next victim?

NKEloGj.jpg

Let me know what you think!

Cheers

Replies:

@ Marius Perdo: Thanks, buddy  -yeah the two sets of Marauders I bought second hand ages ago once again prove to be a fantastic source of bits. I never regretted buying them!

@ GreyRavenC: Yeah contrasts are fantastic. I wouldn't use them all on their own - but as a base to get started with they're superb. 

@ KrautScientist: Hurray! I love that you mentioned the rite of passage in using the Nurgle Fat guys - when I was converting them, I was thinking something of that effect! I'm sad to hear you don't like the beak, but I don't regret sculpting it over the Goliath respirator - that thing gave the Scriverner too much of a hound-like appearance. But I do appreciate your appreciation of the whole bunch, especially that of the Pale Consort - I'm still amazed how well the Flagellant face matched the Navigator's body. About the Goliath leader needing something on his back to make him appear even larger - I'll definitely consider the trophy for sure! Thanks for the C&C!

@ Bjorn Firewalker: Cheerio once again, my friend. :)