++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

What's a short trap? Google didn't yield anything useful. :huh.:

Basically it's a gap between the turret and hull where the turret ring is exposed. A round aimed in that general region will typically be directed to the ring by the sloped geometry of the bottom of the turret. 

What's a short trap? Google didn't yield anything useful. :huh.:

Basically it's a gap between the turret and hull where the turret ring is exposed. A round aimed in that general region will typically be directed to the ring by the sloped geometry of the bottom of the turret. 

Shot trap, not short trap. And yes, it's exactly this, and it is very bad, and not good, and unfortunately a feature of a lot of GW armour. Of course, it's a problem concerning hard rounds, not really an issue with lascannons, meltas or eldar lances, so maybe they worry about it less in the Grim Darkness. It was a very serious problem circa 940M2 however, when the empires of pre-unification Terra used tanks that fought almost exclusively with solid shot.

Ok, on topic - I haven't caught up with this thread in ages, and I very clearly should have done, because I love those World Eaters. Amazing work.

Really liking that gladius made from the WHFB sword, too; always wanted to try those blades out on CSM models, but I could never quite figure out a way to make them... fit right. I'll give this method a shot, if you don't mind me "borrowing" your innovation.

Mercutian and Cyrion look absolutely top notch, but Variel is just next level!! The pose, chained corpse, and chirurgeon are perfect :thumbsup:

Ps. where was Flint when I built my Cyrion? I totally forgot the bionic arm :dry.:

Thanks guys for the replies. It's funny, my hobby jive has been running on such a fevered pitch lately, that there's still comments coming in about projects that in my mind are ages ago, but when I look back it's only a couple pages back. :unsure.:

I'd love to continue work on the truescale first claw, but I'm still waiting on bits for Talos and Xarl to arrive from my favorite bits site. So, here are some replies.

@Zeller: Ah, gotcha, and yes, I too think the shot trap is a little high due to the extra layer of plasticard. I might consider building a protection of it. Thanks!

@ColdWinter: The same way you do your pinning. It couldn't be simpler: you drill a hole 1mm wide with your hobby drill, cut a piece of 1mm paperclip, glue it in with superglue and stick the other end in some cork.

@Teetengee: Nope, my Variel has a favorite corpse, which he'll drag along for weeks and experiment on. :wink: Good point. I'll sculpt some more flesh on him and paint him 'fresh'-er than the zombie-bit might suggest.

@A Kvlt Ghost: Thanks for the tank info! :thumbsup: Yeah mate you need to keep up, I hobby faster than my shadow. :wink:

@MrBear: Thanks mate! How's the 33rd?

@Midnight Runner: well I can see you really like my stuff, because you just spend your entire days worth of likes on my thread. :thanks:

@Loken86: You're mot welcome Loken86, happy to be of help. :biggrin.:

@kizzdougs: I like Variel the best too, to be honest. He's super creepy. And you also built a Cyrion (or even a whole First Claw)? WHERE?

Also, another question: does anyone know if Variel kept a shoulder plate red and/or kept a chapter symbol of the red corsairs on his armour? I thought it'd be a cool idea if I kept his left pad red, with a RC transfer on it...

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

^^They are from the same set, but the terror marking and armour types are different - Variel has a MkIV and his terror marking is an actual death mask, while Cyrion is MkV sans studs and only has a skull fragment below his eyes. If anything, I might change Cyrion's, as there's precious little room for his lightning tears. And I particularly like the idea of Variel overcompensating on the terror markings due to his being the newbee and considering his profession... ;)

Excellent work on the latest two members of First Claw -- but you can always expect a couple of nitpicks from me, of course:

- On Mercutian, this is just a gut feeling, but not having his heavy bolter's barrel be designed as some kind of daemonic maw seems like a bit of a missed opportunity (the musical instrument from the FWB chaos knights would work splendidly for this, because you would get to keep the regular barrel underneath the decoration).

- regarding Variel, I think it's stated in one of the novels that his entire armour has been repainted in NL colours -- what's more, I think he would need a little something (i.e. a flayed face) stapled to his shoulder pad, which would also solve the question as to which colour the pauldron should have ;)

Keep up the amazing work, mate! :)

first claw is shaping up great mate :tu:

little nitpick on cyrion though, i think the crotch skulls hang a little too low. it looks like he would shatter them with his knees at the first few steps he takes :wink:

EXCELLENT IDEA by KrautScientist. You gotta love the BnC community for this kind of thing: soo many great minds coming together, working together to improve the collective awesome miniature collection. ;) Also, you gotta love the Chaos KNights box, because there's literally nothing besides the horsies that you can't use as a CSM player. Hmmm. The horsies might be used as Nurgle Biker bikes potentially. Hmmmmmm 

@KrautScientist: Except for the part where the muzzle could poke through (which is impossible due to the size of it) is this what you meant? :D

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/2015-02-22%2017.08.03_zps1vxfd8tj.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/2015-02-22%2017.08.09_zpsla2xv5t4.jpg

@helterskelter: it's almost paint o'clock mate. I'll start with Cyrion I think, but maybe Mercutian. Or Variel or Uzas, hmmm?

@Midnight Runner: Much appreciated, good sir!

@The Hydra: CHeers, yeah I totes agree.

@Wicced: I know what you mean, and I tried hanging the skulls higher before I glued them in place as they are now... but it looked like his, well, balls. So lower skulls it became. And Cyrion really doesn't care about broken skulls imo. INdeed, one of the skulls is already broken! :tu:

Hehe, from the front, the horns kinda give your daemon bolter a soccer mom haircut :D

Paint Uzas first! So far he's my favorite. They're all looking pretty darn awesome, buddy. 

Oh good. Because I gave Uzas what he was missing. :biggrin.::thumbsup:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/Uzas%201_zpsypfduuip.jpg

Although I'm not truly satisfied with the NL symbol on his reight pauldron... I might get rid of that or redo it. Whaddayafink of it?

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Now this is getting better and better. That heavy bolter is truly wicked and Uzas is mighty fine aswell.

Regarding the 33rd... Since I did paint quite a lot (by my standards :wink: ) this week I've been doing next to nothing this weekend. Just some painting on the loyalist trophy. Will do some more painting and hopefully start to model 2nd Claw during next week instead.

I'm really late to the party that is your plog. The big daemon engine reeled me in and the contemptors sunk the hook in deep.

I think your truescale claw is another fantastic addition to your collection. I often find truescaled miniatures on the static side but these got some great poses going. Look forward on seeing some paint on these that will tie it all together. Sorry about not having anything more constructive to add but I'm a bit overloaded at the moment.

That's yours???!?!?!!?!?  Dude that Cyrion shows up at every google or pinterest search for 'Night Lords'. I've been admiring him for years! He's totally the inspiration for the entire squad I'm doing right now. Wow. And your Talos... hotdamn I'm almost sorry for seeing it, because now I either copy your stuff or make something that just won't do, coolness-wise. Urgh