++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

Oh man, Variel is something special! The Blood for the Blood God looks great. You've managed to keep it subtle and not gone overboard with it. I really hope you do some more truescale marines once you're finished with first claw. You seem to be able to produce them at such a quick rate that a small truescale force wouldn't be out of the question...

Thanks for the link to the chains bro! Your amazing work has definitely been an inspiration for me. Hopefully I'll get Talos and Cyrion based tonight. At this stage I don't have plans to push on with the rest of first claw, but I might be convinced by the quality you're producing (I've been distracted by my Emperor's Children). Looking forward to the next update :)

Finished Uzas tonight. I'm done for now: still waiting on parts for Talos and Zarl, and for Cyrion's helmet, now that I found out he needs a MkII helmet... Grmbl grmbl.

He was a lot of fun to paint, although I did have some trouble getting the bloody hand across his face plate right, and I'm still not sure if I nailed it or not... :huh.: I guess bone coloured terror marking just work better!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Showcase%20Night%20Lords/2015-02-26%2021.12.23_zps4pqhitng.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Showcase%20Night%20Lords/2015-02-26%2020.51.47_zpssssjgcfy.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Showcase%20Night%20Lords/2015-02-26%2020.51.53_zpslvknq1wf.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Showcase%20Night%20Lords/2015-02-26%2020.52.00_zpsli3jzezn.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Showcase%20Night%20Lords/2015-02-26%2020.51.27_zpsqpgkps7c.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Showcase%20Night%20Lords/2015-02-26%2020.51.34_zpscca0cbgm.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Showcase%20Night%20Lords/2015-02-26%2020.51.41_zpsva76cw3r.jpg

Hope you like!! And as always, feedback more than welcome.

Replies!!

@Flint13: Thanks! Corpsey clutch bags are the new fashion these days.

@Brother Heinrich: Dude thank you. That's a great compliment and coming from you I'm even more humbled. Thanks. :thumbsup:

@Atia: You'll have to wait for Talos. The package with his sword and stuff is on the way, but the seller is known to be a little slow, so...

@Midnight runner: Manly tears of joy are what I was going for as an effect, so.... nailed it! :wink:

@MagicMan: Amaze-balls! Another epic compliment. Thanks mate! Hope you like Uzas.

@Tanhausen: Huff, huff.... Uzas took me exactly three hours. But as I said already: I cheat by using an airbrush and Vallejo Liquid Golds.

@Pearson73: Cheers! 

@kizzdougs: Yeah I agree. BFTBG has to be used sparingly and thinned in order to work. I hope I haven't overdone it on Uzas' cloak. What do you think? I'm soo looking forward to your Talos. I love that backpack you made for him. I don;t think I'm going for that Chaos Termie spiky thing on the back, but I will probably steal the bat wing webbing under the 'arms', if that's ok with you. And yes, I will be doing more truescalers. In fact, I have plans on making versions of my BnC buddies here, who have featured in my stories. I still owe KrautScientist a medic... And you as the inspiration for this squad will also be featured. But this will take a lot of time, so don;t expect anything soon.

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Variel is looking excellent, but I am really in love with Uzas right now -- I wonder why :wink: The shortened chaos warrior sword works so well, and I think you did an amazing job on the bloody handprint -- it's kinda hard to make out what the deal with the actual eyeslits is, though -- are they covered in gore as well?

As for your ongoing quest to find a helmet for Cyrion that is both cool and true to canon, here are two ideas that may or may not help:

1.) When you said you wanted to make the helmet look "knightly", I couldn't help thinking about the GK helmets with their very knightly look -- maybe you could alter the eyes of a plastic GK helmet to look like an Mk. 2 visor, with the extra detail below adding to the knightly feel? It could be a custom Mk. 2 -- the WE helmets look nothing like actual Mk. 2 helmets either, after all.

2.) Or you could use a Skullcrusher helmet as a base, like I've done on this guy:

It still looks blunt and brutal, but also a little more knightly, don't you think?

In any case, keep up the amazing work, mate!

Edited by KrautScientist

as i said in the other thread, Uzas is bloody awesome and full of little details :P love the khorne rune, the hand, the helmet ... also it's great to see the mix of FW armour and GW chaos stuff :P

Uzas is looking pretty boss.

The handprint came out pretty darn well! It's still very obviously a handprint instead of just a blob of blood. Great job there.

I'm also in love with that shortie chaos sword. Imma borrow that for something... just don't know what yet :D

The only thing I'm not 100% on is the flesh cape on his shoulder. After your flayed flesh tutes and what not, this one looks a little formless and bland. Do you think it would look better a little more ragged? 

all the boys are looking great so far, but since i can't comment without at least one nitpick, here goes :wink.:

i like the bloody handprint on uzas, but i think it's too big. if i remember correctly it was made by a human woman and thus should be smaller in my opinion.  my main problem with it is the width of the palm. maybe try a slimmer palm and more splayed fingers.

anyway, just my two flayed skulls, keep up the amazing work mate :thumbsup:

Edited by Wicced

@kizzdougs: Yeah I agree. BFTBG has to be used sparingly and thinned in order to work. I hope I haven't overdone it on Uzas' cloak. What do you think? I'm soo looking forward to your Talos. I love that backpack you made for him. I don;t think I'm going for that Chaos Termie spiky thing on the back, but I will probably steal the bat wing webbing under the 'arms', if that's ok with you. And yes, I will be doing more truescalers. In fact, I have plans on making versions of my BnC buddies here, who have featured in my stories. I still owe KrautScientist a medic... And you as the inspiration for this squad will also be featured. But this will take a lot of time, so don;t expect anything soon.

I like the way the BFTBG looks on the cloak. It looks like the skins have been ripped from fresh victims. I could easily imagine Uzas skinning a prisoner during a lull in the fighting. I like that you've used a FW WE shoulder pad with the detail removed (a nice and subtle reference to his Khornate nature). I'd be honoured if you used the batwings on the back pack idea (I took it from the art anyway :P ).

Great to hear that you'll be doing more truescale. You've really got the knack of it and it would be a shame not to do any more. I'm looking forward to seeing Kraut's medic, and I'm more than willing to wait if you keep up the quality of your work :)

3h to pump out that quality has to be the best ratio effort/result EBAH!

I also use AB and vallejo gold...and it certainly took me WAY more to do the Hellbrute in my signature...specially the gold part.

Congrats on a really stream lined method ;)

That's a fantastic heavy bolter, and I like that gladius even more now that it's painted. That ubiquitous holstered pistol also looks good with its backing cloth painted as flayed skin, and it seems a lot more at home on a truscale mini. I'd like at least one of these posts, but I burned through my allowance of those looking back over your World Eaters. :p

Speaking of those, what did you use for the red on your 'zerks, and do you have more of them planned when you've completed your first claw?

Ok, I've had time to take a longer look and just wow. I'm not overly familiar with First Claw, but these guys are doing a great job at representing the artwork I've seen. Variel is my favourite so far, that terror mask!

I'm not much of a fan of truescaling as quite often it results in some very odd proportions (yeah I know, we're talking GW here...), but you've avoided that very well. No one looks like a power-armoured marshmallow man :tongue.:.

First Claw update time. New headgear for Cyrion. Bits are in for Talos and Xarl.

First up, Cyrion's new headgear. I couldn't resist and ordered an original MkII helmet and a WE alternative MkII from eBay. Now before I post them and there's screams of 'that helmet makes him look like a second Uzas' (:wink: ), I'd like you all to remember these pictures are without paint. I will give subtle (and not so subtle) hints towards Cyrion's Slaaneshi corruption. The subtle hints will be that I'm going to paint the eyes of his breast plate's daemonic visage a bright pinl, and the eyes of the daemonic visage on his left knee a bright blue. The not-so-subtle hint will be the slaaneshi symbol dangling from his belt chain (oh and I've also outfitted his bolter with a nice curved bayonet): 

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/Cyrion%2032_zpsvjktiqux.jpg

Now, here's the comparative pictures between the different MkII helmets he'll wear. He *will* wear MkII, so the previous MkIV helmet with terror markings is out of the question anyway. Which do you prefer? 

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/Cyrion%203_zpsljsmafiy.jpg

I have to admit the one on the right is mine - by a long shot. 

OK, on to Xarl and Talos. My bits order came in today, so I fiddled around a little. 

First up, Xarl. 

He wields a giant chainsword. Now, I don't have any eviscerators left as I spend all those on my 'zerkers lately. So I thought perhaps it'd be a good idea to deviate slightly onto that most NIght Lordy of Night Lords weapons: the chain glaive. Made from a Grey Knights Nemesis Force Halberd and a raptor chainsword, I have high hopes of this winning.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/2015-03-03%2016.17.32_zps8wu2lgze.jpg

Next, Talos. I got some bits in, most importantly some apothecary equipment and some Blood Angel swords (the tactical squad sword turned out to be about as small as Uzas' gladius, so that was ruled out immediately). I'm thinking of creating a one handed version of the Sanguinary guard's glaive encarmine by cutting away the arm part (cleaning the other side of the guard with some green stuff, and attaching it to a chaos warriors champion's arm-and-axe, like so:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/2015-03-03%2016.17.47_zpsl98bisxe.jpg

Finally, I collected the bits I have for Talos and Xarl up to now, and put them together. Xarl does indeed have a bolter, but that will be mag-clamped to his right leg most likely. By a lucky coincidence, the last Night Lords FW Raptor head I had left turned out to be a MkVII helmet, just like in the fluff. Yay me!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/2015-03-03%2016.26.58_zpsri5t852l.jpg

What do you think? As always, feebback more than welcome!

Replies!

@KrautScientist: First off: thanks for your continuing support and help mate. I truly appreciate it, even though I don't always agree with your heretical Khornate ways... :wink: But seriously, thanks. Even though we sometimes disagree, I really appreciate how we bounce ideas off each other. To reply to your latest ideas: The visor is not covered in BFTBG, but painted like a normal visor - with a blob of orange in the one corner and a spot of white in the other - which made it look like the actual shiny BFTBG in the picture... :ohmy.: Now on to your two helmet suggestions: 1. I kinda see the WE helmets as MkII variants, which they are I believe? I dunno for sure, but I'm counting them as MkII anyway. The Grey Knight helmet look is a bit too much 'medieval tourney knight' and too little 'crusade knight' though, if that makes sense. 2. That Skullcrusher helmet DOES look more crusader, but also a little too much Khorne to me. Sorry I'm such a pain. I'd love to hear your opinion's on the two new variants I've put up ^^

@GrandMagnus: Indeed - that's exactly the look I was going for, so yay!

@Atia: Cheers Atia! Thanks for the continued support as my Arena sponsor! 

@Flint13: That shorty chaos sword is super easy to do (just cut the top off in a wedged angle and sand to a decent sword tip) and I love it too. It looks just brutal. I dig your fleshy cloak critique and will do another once I get around to using putty for Talos' backpack again. Thanks! :thumbsup:

@Wicced: Aha but you are only half right, my friend. It says in the fluff on p155 of the omnibus that Uzas painted the hand with his own hand after dipping it in the blood of a woman. :biggrin.:

@kizzdougs: Well thanks very much buddy! I will indeed steal your backpack idea, and don;t worry: I already have some medical tools for Kraut's apothecary.

@Argent aquila: More finished First Claw members are inbound. :wink:

@Tanhausen: Haha yes. Didn't Steve Jobs say that lazy people always find the most efficient way to do something?

@Tekman: Yup, four down. Two more to go. :wink:

@Tanith Ghost: Thanks to you too, buddy! Me, I'm inclined to vouch for Variel at the moment, but I like that you dig Uzas so much. 

@A Kvlt Ghost: Yes, I love the holstered pistol bit, and I cannot understand why I didn't paint it as flayed flesh before! The red recipe on the zerkers is as follows: GW Khorne Red base all over, then shaded with an upward zenithal spray of GW Rhinox Hide, then highlighted with a downwards zenithal spray of GW Mephiston Red, and then a top highlight with GW Jokaero Orange. Hope that helps.

@MrBear: Wait with picking a favourite untill they're all done, the six of them. 

@sockwithaticket: haha thakns mate, I'm glad you like them. Indeed Variel is my favourite too. I'm curious how a power armoured marchmallow man looks like, now!

@sheep: Best. Compliment. Ever.

@The Hydra: Yup that's me. I stay quiet for a while and the BOOM! Some models. :wink: I'm happy you're going back to your NLs mate, there can never be too many finished Night lords miniatures!

EDIT: changed a picture.

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

I love how you absolutely want to stay 100% true to canon on Cyrion's helmet mark and then go and change around Xarl's weapon :D Just kidding!

But seriously, I agree that the right helmet is a pretty great fit -- and possibly the best of the three options. Although the bog standard Mk. 2 does have a certain promise. One spontaneous idea I got was: What about adding some kind of topknot and/or horsehair crest on top, in order to give it a bit of a classical, hoplite look? I think this could be an option of making it somewhat less blunt and brutal, and of subtly channelling a slaaneshi vibe without stating it outright.

Whatever you do, don't use the earless zerker helmet -- it's cool, but it's definitely not Cyrion.

As for Xarl's weapon, I think you should really roll with the punches here, and when all is said and done, if you want a chain glaive in the squad, then Xarl is probably the best bet for wielding it.

Let me finish by saying that, even if I may seem a bit nitpicky every now and then, I really enjoy the exchange of ideas as well, and it's actually pretty sweet that my remarks directly influence models as awesome as these without any actual work for me whatsoever! :)

Looking forward to the next update!