++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

[über-self-indulgent fanboy rant]

Yeah... so I got featured on ADB's blog today. I sent the First Claw pic with my new watermark to ADB today and not one minute later he replied with a long line of :censored:es, like "oh :censored: me", etc. , followed by an "ahem" ...which made the corners of my mouth go up in humble joy. But then, 45 minutes later, I got an email from his wordpress account, informing me about his feature of them, and that he wrote the most humbling words about my work...

And then it exploded all over Facebook. 

Now, I feel like this:

http://gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Waynes-World-Were-not-Worthy.gif

So awesome.

[/über-self-indulgent fanboy rant]

Huff huff... Ok, back to regular updates. 

I promised I'll do Septimus, Octavia and Deltrian.

I ordered the following miniature from Raging Heroes as a base for Octavia:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/2015-03-20%2012.03.32_zps9yrokuzr.jpg

She's pretty cool, but need some work. For starters, she needs a new head, as Octiavia doesn't have a bionic eye. Also, even though she's only three centimeters and the avarage First Claw member more than four, I think she's a little too tall. So the high heels may go and I might even cut out one or two millimeters below her belt, and then mask that with some 40k paraphernalia. If that doesn't work, I could always go for a Necromunda Escher juve...

For Septimus, I need to buy the Catachan Command Squad, as that kit contains pretty much every bit I imagine I will need for him.

Deltrian will most likely be a combination of this guy, combined with the Cairn Wraith.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Images/Product/AlternativeFW/xlarge/Scylax-2.jpg

That's it. Hope you like. Feedback and ideas on the three additional members of First Claw most welcome.

Replies!

Atia: Thanks girl! What do you think of the ideas I have on the others?

@EldrickShadowblade: Dude if you haven't already, you should do it now! Literally, go online and buy that omnibus. It's one of the best 40K books around. 

@thamier: Why wouldn't you? Not all of them, but just a couple.... :thumbsup:

@brother Heinrich: THANKS mate! Coming from you, again, that is high praise!

@KrautScientist: I am, to be honest... It's super cool to get recognition from the author himself. But you know what that feels like :biggrin.::thumbsup:

@MrBear: Cheers mate! You're just fashionably late!

@biohazard: Oh dude, that would be awesome! DO IT!!

@helterskelter: Cheers to you too mate. Thanks. :smile.:

@sockwithaticket: Ahahaaaa menacing is what I went for, so thanks for that :smile.:

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Yeah... so I got featured on ADB's blog today. I sent the First Claw pic with my new watermark to ADB today and not one minute later he replied with a long line of :censored:es, like "oh :censored: me", etc. , followed by an "ahem" ...which made the corners of my mouth go up in humble joy. But then, 45 minutes later, I got an email from his wordpress account, informing me about his feature of them, and that he wrote the most humbling words about my work...

And then it exploded all over Facebook. 

=) grats Auggi, ADB is a very nice guy :tongue.:

the raging heroes model looks cool so far, can we have a size comparison with "normal Marines" too? 

Edited by Atia

I was kind of wondering when your guys would show up on ADb's FB-feed... :wink:

The praise that you have gotten is well deserved, every one of them looks great on his own but they look simply stunning together.

Thanks everyone. :smile.:

On to other things. I'm starting to prepare for the ETL. One of the many units I'm planning to vow is a unit of five spawn. I absolutely detest the models GW produces for spawn, and I've long wanted something that would suit my Night Lords. So I thought - why not a nostraman lion? Now, I don't think a Nostraman Lion would look exactly like a terran lion, but rather have a similar body build, and would fill a similar biological niche on Nostramo as terran lions on Earth. 

The Polish third party Puppetswar produces really cool models called Barghest fiends that to me fit the bill perfectly.

http://puppetswar.eu/img/p/259-972-large.jpg

I have long wanted to buy them, and as a gift to myself for getting an indefinite contract from my employer, I finally did. Yay! They're perfect counts-as spawn, and look suitably feline yet alien to be representing Nostraman Lions. The models look pretty fricking awesome. They have scars, multiple eyes, a collar with chains hanging from it, very, very cool heads, and they're sculpted -let's say- 'anatomically correct', which is cool. Seriously they have the whole male package. :ohmy.: Also, they're exactly the right scale to fit 40K biker bases, so this is a perfect win for me. 

I got them in just an hour ago and immediately got to work on them. I was a little dissapointed that there are only three different kinds of bodies (as I though from the angle of the pic above there'd be more) but there are five different heads. I'll use some trophies and chains to differentiate them. Any idea on how to paint them? I'm thinking of either pure black, or a darkened flesh tone.... What say you?

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Night%20Lords%20WIP/WP_20150321_002_zpstjbsab3f.jpg

Anyway, work continues. I'm hoping I can get a single Scylax Guardian-Automata from ebay for Deltrian. 

Hope you like! 

Replies

@Forté: No he doesn't :wink: And his FB post has been shared 55 times now...

@KrautScientist: Thank you, man. I sent you a PM with the bits I would need for my idea for Setpimus. Thanks for offering to help - again.

@Atia: He is, truly. About the comparison: to be honest, I don't really care about the size comparison with 'normal' marines, as the idea behind the Truescale astartes of First Claw is that truescale is the 'real' scale. Humans should reach the Astartes' neck colars with the top of their heads. 

@Wicced: Cheers, mate :thumbsup:

@Kriegsmacht: I'm not sure if I ever will do the Exalted, but when I do, it'll be with claws.

@ElDuderino: Thanks, and concerning your auto-vested power - you *are* El Duderino... :wink:

@Flint13: Thank you. :blush.:

@kizzdougs: Promise me you'll send ADB pics of your First Claw when they're finished. 

@Mrbear: Well... tadaaa! Totally didn't expect this reaction from him. But it does feel great, to be perfectly honest. 

If it is furless, then on a nightworld the skin would be fairly pale and pasty, as there would be little light to alter the colour of the skin pigmentation. Maybe with veins showing under the surface of the skin, and using a purply red in the mouth for gums or tongue etc?  Saying that I am thinking in Terran terms hahaha....

However if they are going to have fur, then a dark colour would look cool as a natural camouflage, Black would give it a more panther like colouration than a lion though?

I'll be sending you a more detailed PM later, but let me just interject - rather unhelpfully, I might add - that I don't think that AdMech model you mentioned would be such a great base for Deltrian. At the very least, it doesn't seem to bring much to the table beyond the Cairn Wraith. I've always seen Deltrian as this very delicate, almost elegant bronze skeleton in flowing robes, so I don't think he should be too ghostlike in appearance. And I've always imagined him with actual legs, instead of floating around trailing cables, or stuff like that. In fact, why not try to get hold of some Necron parts first, before going the expensive route with that FW model? Just my two cents, of course...

@Flint13: Cheers. I can't wait to start painting them. Have to wait at least five weeks though. Grrrr

@dantay_xv: Pale and pasty is actually not a bad idea. Although black does share it's first place. Also: who says Nostraman lions should look anything like terran lions? I just think they occupy the same biological niche, and thus naturally would share certain bodily functions. ;)

@KrautSCientist: that's a good point, actually. (WHY DO YOU ALWAYS MAKE SO MUCH SENSE??) I also dislike the tentacle snail look, but the rest does appeal to me. Although now that you mention it (REALLY?), without the tentacle snail stuff it really is the cairn wraith with some tech-y bits... I also think he should have legs, but I fear necron legs would make him look a little too much like General Grievous... 

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11113/111135808/3448649-2382786-general_grievous.jpg

(imagine techy stuff instead of the lightsabers)

Those hounds look perfect for the Night Lords. I'd also suggest the pail skin approach. It would allow you to properly show off all of the muscle definition and detail on the minis. Also they probably wouldn't be 'original' Nostraman Lions, but more likely vat-grown replicas or warped hybrids.

Can't wait to see what you do with them :)

Ps. do spawn use bike bases in 40K? I would have thought that they would be on 40mm bases. Not that it really matters.

Alright, after much deliberation (and spending $$$ on alternates - the Raging Heroes Irina Vega mini being too big and the Escher Juves being slightly too small) I finally think I found the ideal miniature to represent Octavia.

Say hello to Sascha Dubois, Time Chaser of Reaper miniatures:

http://www.reapermini.com/graphics/gallery/4/50001_p_Haley_1.jpg

http://www.reapermini.com/graphics/gallery/4/50001_p_haley_2.jpg

I think she's perfect: wearing clothes that are both feminine, practical, and befitting her station as the ship's new Navigator. I also like the implied nod to the Rogue Trader style of both the original RT game, and the fact that she actually was employed by one before her capture by Talos. 

I also made some objective markers. We had a doubles tournament the weekend before last at my local GW and I realized I really needed them.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Showcase%20Night%20Lords/2015-03-26%2011.17.37_zps2fcu6d2o.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Showcase%20Night%20Lords/2015-03-26%2011.18.01_zpsezaf0wow.jpg

It was an awesome tourny actually, with two 500 points armies, built using the Allied Detachment force organization charts, combining to fight two other armies. My and my Ggerman buddy slaughtered everyone with our massive cheese lists: I had a Vindicator, a bare bones cultist squad, a Baledrake, and a Tzeentch Sorcerer on a Disc with a SoC, while he had four lvl 3 Tzeentch Heralds as an HQ and 13 pink horrors - for a total of 15 warp charges per turn in a 100 pts force. :ohmy.: :tongue.: My vindi popped two shots and soaked more, while his daemons hid behind walls and summoned others to grab objectives along my cultists. The sorcerer on disc was great fun too, as his disc had him coming out of cover, shooting his Tzeentch shooty powerz in the Psychic phase, and then turboboosting back behind cover in the shooting phase. Total cheese, but great fun! :biggrin.:

We both won a WD and couple of paint pots, the  Nihilakh Oxide I used in the markers. Interesting paint, but I still prefer my oil wash made from Turpentine and Van Gogh Turquoise Blue - if only because the gw paint dries way to fast.

http://www.games-workshop.com/resources/catalog/product/230x238/99189956006_NihilakhOxide.jpg

Replies:

@kizzdougs: Pale skin it is! I also love your idea of them being vat-grown clones. :thumbsup::thumbsup: Also, thanks on the base heads up. I checked and you're absolutely right. I'm basing them on 50mm centurion bases.

@veteran sergeant: cheers mate! It's been a humbling eperience.

@SalvationOfReason: Copy that, thanks. I heard some good things about the upcoming skitarii.

wooooooooow, that model is awesome :ohmy.: i may use her as rouge trader if she is in scale to "normal" Marines/Solar Auxilia °_°

oh, and the markers are cool too :P Nihilakh Oxide isn't bad, but i prefere Vallejo's 72.135 Verdigris :P

Edited by Atia

I own the Sascha Dubois model as well, and she's a wonderful piece! Almost looks like a mid-to-late 90s GW model, too. She should make for a pretty cool base model for Octavia alright!

Those markers are excellent! It's always the little things that really sell an army, and these are just as cool as the rest of your work. As for verdigris, for me it's a hevaily watered down mix of white and Vallejo Milenario Turquoise all the way ;)