++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

Thanks everyone. It's weird being finished with the army - kinda like finishing a huge undertaking. This is the first time in my entire 'hobby career' that I've worked out a list and then collected and painted it. All my other stuff I did the other way around. Originally, I only wanted to do this 1250 list, but over the last six months working on it, I've bought quite a lot of stuff that I want to be yellow-and-black. The two metla tac squads (that still need drop pods), the Deredeo, the 'Thuddfire' cannon and the apothecary biker are all examples of this. I did them to get a little variation in the fairly monotonous job of going through eleven five-man squads and eight razorbacks. What helped me the most though, was the massive participation in the 'name a marine' thing I had going on. It pushed me to really give each and every marine some character. So massive thanks to all who participated in that!

Throughout the project, there's always been this voice in the back of my head that said "go Horus Heresy!", but I really didn't want to do another army of Space Marines. I considered doing Sons of Horus for a couple weeks, but I don't know. My aim for the coming months is to just do what I like in terms of the Imperial Fists, and prepare some Chaos miniatures for the ETL (gotta get that ETL Primus Inter Pares hat trick). I still have the six rapiers to do, a contemptor and a MkIV dread, as well as the terminators I've shown on the previous page, and their Caestus Assault ram ride. Perhaps I'll even paint the Typhon Siege tank I have lying around yellow! Although I originally bought it to join the midnight clad boys and be decorated in skulls, body parts, gore, and viscera....

I'm still planning on doing a month-long Arena event like last year. Still need to talk to Kurgan and Tyler for that.

For now, I'll show you the finished objective markers I prepared for the tournament. If I may say so myself, I'm extremely pleased with how they turned out. Especially the weird Angel-like servitor has turned out great - I always wanted to do it based on this picture, but wasn't sure how to fit it into my army - rules wise. Now it worked. 

So here they are! They have the numbers one to six on them, either in Gothic or Roman numerals - which comes in handy with objective markers. :wink:

Numbers one to three:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/1_zps8npu6ssb.jpg

Here's the individual pictures:

And numbers four to six:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/2_zpsftaw3ywz.jpg

Here's the individual pictures:

ALSO! I've started work on the Lucius Dreadnought Drop Pod. It's MASSIVE!

Closed doors:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/WP_20160214_007_zpspopzjx2l.jpg

Opened doors:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/WP_20160214_009_zpshz4qrvhc.jpg

And to show you how massive it actually is, here it is with Brother Dantula of III Tactical Squad

Thanks for looking! I hope you like them and appreciate all feedback. It really kept and will keep me going. :smile.:

Replies!

@Thrillhouse± Thanks buddy! I'll definitely write up some succinct batreps for them. I have my first match Saturday the 27th. :thumbsup:

@Scion of Ferrus: Haha my thanks!

@Kurama: No worries: temptation is not neccesary for that. 

@guardian21: Cheers, buddy!

@Lord Thorn: That's a great idea! Definitely will do. :smile.:

@War Angel: Are you kidding me? I'm like a diesel. I just keep going.

@Flint13: Definitely. That's 440 free points, right there. Makes the army a lot more survivable and - by extention - powerful.Thanks!

@Knight of the Raven: Then make additional room! 

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

How much do you cost?!? I need someone like you on my war staff... Lol

Edit, I love the way you did the objective markers. I'll be borrowing the numbering idea.

PSS, any advice to someone trying to pull off the same feat? Hell I don't even have a list.

Edited by War Angel

The army shot is awesome. I bet it's a great feeling having the army complete!

On a side note I never even noticed the Scout with my name on was completed. I'm such a numpty! He looks awesome, and his conversion is top-notch :thumbsup:

Several practical questions that warrant more pics:

:HQ: Atia requested scale shots compared to the different dreadnoughts:

VS Deredo

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/WP_20160214_013_zps9dcnsyfq.jpg

VS Contemptor

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/WP_20160214_011_zpsrgyvvjf2.jpg

VS Helbrute (as I have no built Castaferrum Dreadnought)

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/WP_20160214_012_zps5urspurr.jpg

And here's a scale shot of all of them next to one another:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/WP_20160214_014_zpsjy54c2kv.jpg

(I'll do one with the Leviathan Dreadnought when I start painting that thing, as it's in pieces and stored right now and I´m too lazy to get it. Besides, it´s almost bed-time. :sweat: )

The thing is, the Lucius drop pod has a circle in it's inner section which is slightly over 60mm. So, considering how a helbrute is a slightly higher miniature than the Castaferrum dreads, and that my helbrute stands atop at least 3 mm of additional cork, I think it is fair to say a Castaferrum dreadnought (or any Space Marine plastic dreadnought) which has its feet glued straight on the base and has no banners, could fit snugly inside the drop pod. :thumbsup:

:HQ: War Angel asked about how I pulled off the objective markers 'feat':

Super easy, actually. The objective markers are simply the Space Marine Casualties set, plus some gubbins that I felt matched the theme of my arm. Just put them on a base with some basing material (in this case, Vallejo basing paste and some slate). 

http://www.games-workshop.com/resources/catalog/product/600x620/99800101090_SpaceMarinesCasualtiesNEW01.jpg

:HQ: Knight of the raven asked about the warpage on the Lucius Drop Pod:

There was some minor warpage, on all pieces except the upper 'engine block', but nothing too serious. I pinned the crap out of it - two pins for each vertical strut to the engine blocks and one pin for each vertical strut to the upper base plate. I could then just assemble it without glueing (in fact, no glue was used on the Drop pod as it was in the pictures. It's all held together with those six pins and gravity). Nothing fit perfectly, so what I did was take out my 10l pasta pot, filled it with water and boiled that. I then put the drop pod in the pasta pot's colander with the doors open (so the doors leaned against the sides of the colander), slowly lowered the colander into the boiling water, and left it there for a couple minutes. I then took it out, and just formed the resin to make everything fit perfectly. So the struts perfectly vertical, the doors perefectly snug between the doors, and the two base plates perfectly on top of one another - hey presto!

@Kobrakei: DOH! Dude I think your scout is the coolest of them all - as I'm most pleased with how his conversion turned out. :smile.:

Awesome work as ever! And speaking of the Heresy Train, don't forget, there's options besides Astartes like the Solar Auxilia, Imperial Army, Mechanicum or Knights. I for one think it'd be interesting seeing you work your magic on one of those.

@Viridia: That's a good idea, actually. I'd be interested in a Knight army. The thing is, what appeals to me in the HH is actually the 'new' way of playing power armoured guys. It'd just be an extra army. Right now I have one unpainted Typhon siege tank, and I can't decided whether to paint it yellow or midnight blue. I'm afraid I'll be even more torn of I'd add deep sea green to the equation! ;)

@War Angel: Yeah I got that, of course :D But because you asked about how I managed to "pull of that feat" right after commenting on the objective markers, I thought you were asking about them. I now realize you were talking about the army as a whole. To answer that: make a plan and stick to it with tenacity. Write a list you're sure will work and/or that you'd love to play, and then make a plan to paint it. Set short and long term goals and create a schedule: "I'll paint one tank and two squads in January", "the army should be finished by the tournament in March", and "I'll have three full painting days around the Christmas holidays".) Allow for variety in painting - so don't try to paint the same models in a row, but do a vehicle, then a squad, then a character or support weapon, then back to the vehicles, etc. Does that help? :tu:  

@hushrong: Cheers, bro :tu:

@Lord Thørn: Go for it! Making army-specific objective markers is fun, satisfying, and will definitely earn you points (if not kudo´s) in the tournament scene. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi gang! Over two weeks without an update. It's because I've moved house, and my weeks have been filled with settling in the new place, work, and a nasty flu. We're now mostly done with the place - and I have half a room completely dedicated to the hobby. Mythbuster's Adam Savage recommended Ikea Billy  bookcases as the cheapest form of showcase, and I managed to find two identical black ones second hand - which now proudly hold my collection. It looks pretty awesome. On top of that, I have an entire table dedicated solely to painting and modelling. Which I did, extensively, in the last two days.

So here's what I managed to finish!

A while back, when I bought two BaC boxes, I hinted to the possibility of trading one of the plastic contemptors. Frater 'the emperor is scottish' was quick to offer the body of a FW Black Templars Venerable MKIV Dreadnought - a trade which I happily agreed to. We made the trade, and I bought two dreadnought arms for the dreadnought - and over the last couple of days I had a blast painting it for my M32 Imperial Fists. 

Of course, I had the emperor is scottish name the eddy. So here he is:

Venerable Dreadnought Ivor Adlhaerd - the emperor is scottish

++++++++

Brother Adlhaerd was part of a devastator contingent in the Imperial Fist's First Company, and became a Company Champion during the onset of the Heresy. During the Siege of Terra, Brother-Champion Adlhaerd led several squads of breachers in a countercharge against Iron Warriors attacking the Western parts of the Eternal Gate. He was mortally wounded when an Iron Warriors terminator champion grabbed his relic sword with his power fist and snapped it in twine, while gutting him with his other-handed chainfist. Adlhaerd was recovered by his brothers and, being mortally wounded, was entombed in a MKIV dreadnought casing by the company's medicae and techmarines. In this new form, he continued to serve Sigismund and Dorn. During the Siege of Terra, his dreadnought was again heavily damaged, but recovered and repaired when the Traitors fled the planet.

With Horus slain and the Emperor now seated in the Golden Throne, the Imperial Fists continue to fortify Terra. After a renewed period of strive, Rogal Dorn finally acquiesced to Guilliman's proposed Codex Astartes. As his Legion was split into Chapters, Ivor Adlhaerd chose to not join Sigismund's newly formed Black Templar Chapter and to remain with the Imperial Fists proper. He has forever stayed silent on his reasons behind this decision. Many among his brethren believe it has something to do with his immediate denouncement of verses in the Lectitio Divinitatus pamphlet, which had surfaced among the Legion in the later aftermath of the Horus Heresy. Adlhaerd once voiced his disappointment in the Emperor's later actions as being a reason to disbelieve his Divinity.

Now, with over two millennia having passed, Adlheard continues to serve the Imperial Fists. He has been attached to the chapter´s Fifth Company, of which he proudly bears the iconography. He still bears his broken relic sword as a sign of penance and a reminder of the need to continue to serve the Emperor and to defend Holy Terra. Ancient Adlhaerd is greatly respected by the company's warriors, who frequently come to him for advice and succor. He has risen to an informal role of leadership among Fifth Company's dreadnought arsenal. His weapons of choice remain the Siege Drill and Multi Melta, which he wielded during Terra's Siege. 

++++++++

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/WP_20160306_001_zpsfepirjpm.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/WP_20160306_002_zps6kq2nh3d.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/WP_20160306_003_zpssa8l2brd.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/WP_20160306_004_zpsczaczlln.jpg

Additionally, I finished the Lucius Pattern Dreadnought Drop Pod! Behold: 

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/WP_20160306_005_zpsw92nwqjc.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/WP_20160306_006_zpsmfvcu6jr.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/WP_20160306_011_zpsjouofozx.jpg

I magnetized Ivor Adlheard's banner with quite a strong magnet, so I can remove it. The cool thing is, the MkIV dreadnought (and by extent of their size, I guess MkV eddies as well) really does fit snugly in the Drop Pod.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Imperial%20Fists/WP_20160306_010_zpstb288dlh.jpg

I hope you like! Feedback, as always, very welcome!

Thanks for looking. Cheers.

Replies:

@ Thousand Eyes: Thanks buddy. Yeah, they're quite popular in my local shop too. :smile.:

@ anselneo: I hope to face you in battle soon! Love to crush those red Admech duders of yours. 

@ War Angel: Good luck with that, mate! Hope it works out. :smile.:

@ Knight of the Raven: Yeah why not a bare bones Captain? They're decent in a fight against regular guys, have decent staying power with their 4++ save, and I'm counting on the rest of my army shooting to smithereens whatever CC unit(s) my opponent throws at me, before it/they get(s) into combat. The Captain tag-teamed with the Chaplain and a tactical squad against a unit of ten necrons in a game last weekend, and they absolutely destroyed them in one round (Assault Doctire was on, which admittedly helped).

Finally, an update. That Dreadnought looks very menacing and I like his transport, though I honestly think that you should do the soot around the exhausts with a brush and not an airbrush. It doesn't look right, in my opinion.

Anyway, glad to see you back among us and I look forward to seeing more!

Dude :cussing brilliant update! Gotta love that dred definitely a piece of art, also the idea bookcases are great but for your masterpieces you should get the glass idea display case it looks great!

I hope to god once these armies are done you go to some auxiliary allies like Traitor Guard or Imperial guard Scion militia etc.

But great stuff all around

Awesome!

The BT dread worked surprisingly well!! Might have to steal that hehe :)

Also cool to see him inside the drop pod, look pretty awesome :thumbsup:

Damn, mate. Now you have me wanting to steal that idea for a Dread supporting a unit of Templar Brethren for my army, despite the fact that I didnt want purely melee oriented infantry in it. Now you've got me doubting myself! :P

Also, glad to hear you got a nice display set up. I just purchased a china cabinet for my models this week, and actually being able to see my finished models is a great motivator!

Edited by The Psycho

Holy tap-dancing Templars Batman! Adllhaerd and his ride both look great and it's nice to have you back in hobby business again.  :thumbsup:

'Funny' fact regarding your Billy book cases though, the guy who designed them died just the other day.  With IKEA being swedish and all it got some mention in the newspapers...