++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

Thanks, gang, for all the replies!

Today saw me finish half of my unit of 10 Flesh Hounds. Unfrotunately I only had 5 oval 60mm bases on which to put them, so I have to wait until those arrive through mail order. For now, I really enjoyed painting these five dire wolves/flesh hounds. They're excellent models, allowing for a myriad of techniques. I love how they fit into my KDK colour scheme. :tu:

Pictures:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/World%20Eaters/temporary_zpsoz1gzttc.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/World%20Eaters/temporary_zpsbghk7zbr.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/World%20Eaters/temporary_zpsywqwu7wz.jpg

I hope you like them as I do! Thanks for visiting and commenting: feedback, C&C welcome, as always. :)

Replies!

@ KrautScientist: Another great suggestion: the transfers are on the Contemptor. I just have to take some pictures of them, but have just stashed away the photo botth. Tomorrow, maybe. :tu: The name is well-deserved. I owe you a debt of gratitude for your constant dedication to my improvement en for the constant inspiration i garner from your Eternal Hunt thread. 

@ Flint13: Thanks, flint! The chainblade is a chainsword from the MkV assault marines from FW.

@ infyrana: The idea behind the Nurgle variant? What do you mean? How I came up with the inspiration to build him? I guess I always wanted to make a contemptor with a distended nurgle belly. I posted some pretty crappy pictures of him over in my showcase thread. Perhaps I should revisit him and make some cool glamour shots?

@ MikhalLeNoir: Haha thanks, buddy!

@ kizzdougs: Thanks, kizz! High praise form you again. Might I suggest you replace the glaive on your recently acquired praetor with a hammer, and make him a warmisth?

@ Lord Thørn: Hahaha :)

@ Knight of the Ravm: Welll thanks! I'm glad you like the khornate colour scheme of the XII. :) 

@ The Psycho: Well, now that I've finsihed it, and can see it from more angles than the pretty limited FW stuff, I am slowly being charmed by the heat ray. ;)

@ Ada: Thanks you, Ada!

@ rednekboss: hahaha well, suit yourself. I'd hate to take models away from you, as you yourself are such an accomplished painter - and especially converter!

@ mechanist: How'd you like the flesh hounds finished?

@ Midnight Runner: Cheer's buddy! Thanks for your continued support!

Yeah, glamour shots would be great for the nurglenightlord :)  Why you made a 'nurgle' themed Night Lords contemptor was what had me questioning it, but yeah, the distended belly is a great addition and adds a lot of flavour (not sure if pun was intended here or not!).

Alright, update time. I've been very busy lately with work - rounding up things before I take a four week holiday. I'm not going away this year, but plan on doing a lot of training, exercise (sixpack is gone), catching up, getting a parachute course (hey, I've never jumped out of a plane before, and I need to keep crossing things off my list), and of course painting. 

So here's the second set of five build Dire Wolves (counts-as Felsh Hounds), and the Sicaran Tank in base paints. 

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/World%20Eaters/temporary_zps5hvfggj7.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Iron%20Warriors/temporary_zpsfipggvxq.jpg

Also, my local GW shop organized an Apocalypse battle this weekend. Now, I've never actually played an apocalypse battle before, so I had no idea what to expect.

The evil side was us four guys, a Khornate/Night Lords/Orks alliance, while our three opponents fielded Grey Knights, Space Marines, Mechanicum and a whole Knights house. We had all my super heavies (Kytan, Warhound, Typhon, Scorpion, Lord of Skulls), as well as two Stompas and a couple of Shadow Swords, plus hundreds of Boyz in trucks, the entire 47th Company, and all my daemons, including Scabeiathrax). They had 8 Knights, two Baneblades, a Reaver and a fricking Ordinatus, backed by 50 Grey Knights (plus two Inquisitor Coteaz's, the sneaky bastards), Space marines, 9 Robots, and a couple of those mech walkers i forgot the names of. We had about 22,000 points on the table, versus about 19,000 of the opponent. 

It was mayhem. My Warhound and Kytan were completely shot to pieces in the first turn, as we killed all eight of their Knights (Including one by Scabby). By the end of turn two, the Ordinatus' insane shootyness was made apparent by the enormous hole in our battle line, cut by its 7" wide, 96" long D-weapon through our lines. We only played three turns, after we had an exhausting day. Wow.

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/pbAugustus/temporary_zpsyyvsmxsn.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/pbAugustus/temporary_zpsvujwasb2.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/pbAugustus/temporary_zps4gcfzctz.jpg

Anyway, hope you like the update. Thanks for looking. :thumbsup:

Replies:

They look great. Just a shame there's no easy way of doing the webed 'frill' as I really like that part of flezh hound design but you've done a great job on those.

Cheers, yeah I like that frill too, but couldn't for the life of me think of a way how. perhaps with the GW Night Lords upgrade helmet's wings? 

Yeah, glamour shots would be great for the nurglenightlord :smile.:  Why you made a 'nurgle' themed Night Lords contemptor was what had me questioning it, but yeah, the distended belly is a great addition and adds a lot of flavour (not sure if pun was intended here or not!).

Nurgle Night Lord Comtemptor coming up. And why the Nurgle theme in my Night Lords? Easy: I lay Night Lords, but also Chaos competitively on a 1250 points level (which is the standard in my meta). And Nurgle biker lords are the only viable HQ option when you play Chaos competitively in my style of play, so I integrated a Nurgle theme into my Night Lords. As I love contemptors and had always had the idea to make a Nurgle one with a burst rotten belly, the idea was a natural one. :biggrin.:

Loving the Khornetemptor! I almost want to paint one up now..... I shall match your 5 dreadnaughts sir......

DO it! And share the pictures!

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Does anyone get to move in games like that? Models, models everywhere! I guess you'd need a turn or two just to have room to go anywhere.... unless you are a flyer.  Still looks like fun though.... exhausting, but fun.

that definitely looks an impressive game, having played about 6k a side the other week that was tiring enough between the 6 of us. Next batch of flesh hounds are coming along nicely, I'm lucky enough to have a batch of the older metal ones from around 2nd/3rd ed so a bit of press moulding frills may occur when it comes to bulking out the numbers. Ether that or I may look round at plastic dinos. 

@ MrBear: Haha yes! The IV and the VII are not on good terms, to say the least. I also started a Khorne Daemonkin army - did you know?

Well... I knew you were doing some Khorne stuff, the bit about a whole army probably went over my head when I wasn't active. Knowing you it's going to be a smashing army though, the Hounds look great for example.

That battle seems to have been one heck of a bloodbath though! Quite understandable that you only played 3 turns, can't have been much left on the table by then with all that firepower!

That surely looks like a massive game! It's brilliant to see a table like that, although I have to admit there mere logistics of such an endeavour seem off-putting to me ;)

The paintjob on the hounds is really excellent, but I just cannot bring myself to like those models: The bodies are excellent, with incredible detail, but those lumpy heads are just terrible. That has nothing to do with your work on them, though! Regarding the matter of kitbashing/converting the typical neck frills, the one way that seems reasonably easy is to use that one pair of vestigial wings from the Vargheist kit. I've used that on my own plastic flesh hound conversion, and it really looks the part. Unfortunately, it would probably be rather difficult to source those wings in suitable quantities, but the option is there, theoretically speaking.

I have two small requests regarding that Khornetemptor, by the way (it shouldn't surprise you one bit that I now have a vested interest in that fellow's fate ;) ):

• any chance of some new pictures with the decals on show? Pretty please?
  • what exactly do those Latin...erm High Gothic inscriptions say? I can make out a part of it, but I cannot be sure what you wanted it to mean. Or is it just awesome sounding gibberish? ;)

As always, keep up the excellent work, mate!

Hi gang! Sorry for my being quiete the last week - I'm experiencing a bot of a hobby burnout. My holiday has started and I'm far more interested in getting fit, enjoying friends and the sun - plus the occasional game of Watch Dogs, than actually getting some painting done. I have build the second set of five Flesh Hounds, though, and have today finished the Sicaran tank. I´m looking forward to reading your replies, because they have brought me back into the painting fold in the past!

Pics:

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Iron%20Warriors/temporary_zpscfrkmk7p.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Iron%20Warriors/temporary_zpszxaelejj.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Iron%20Warriors/temporary_zpsariyy4rb.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Iron%20Warriors/temporary_zpsalxzxjya.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Iron%20Warriors/temporary_zpsma4uselt.jpg

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d185/mkruijff/Iron%20Warriors/temporary_zpspbo3fws8.jpg

Hope you like! Thanks for looking and your comments,

Replies:

@ rednekkboss: Sure they do! Movement is pivotal in getting in combat, and that's where most of the casualties get riled up. I managed to kill three Knights in close combat in turn two, for example.

@ The Hydra: Thank you, Hydra! :)

@ Mechanist: That's a great option. Let me know when you have picutres up, I'll be interested to see them!

@ MrBear: Haha thanks, MrBear. I'll do my best! 

@ KrautScientist: Your own fleshound conversion? Where can I find pictures!? I'll make some pics of the Khornetemptor with Decals. The High Gothic inscriptions say something along the lines of Ultima Occisisio Rex. Make of that what you will. It's totally faux latin for Ultimate Slaughter Kind, but it sounded cool. ;)

The tank is fine, although I will say that it seems a bit too "no-nonsense" for my taste -- I am more the baroque type when it comes to Traitor Legion vehicles :wink: That being said, it has probably been painted with 30k very firmly in mind, right?

As for my Fleshhound conversion, here it is --snugly nestled away inside spoiler tags, just the way you like it :wink:

Really looking forward to some new pictured of the Contemptor! :)

Edited by KrautScientist

@ Teetengee: Hmmm "inconsistently weathered" is actually very good feedback. I totes admit that I've been a bit low on the hobby mojo recently, and painting this tank has been a bit of a 'going through the motions' kind of thing. Normally I really 'feel' the miniature -moreso with infantry than with tanks, truthfully- as I paint it... But this tank has left me feeling a bit null, so to speak. Dunno what it is, but after my abandonment of the Night Lords and the Imperial Fist project, I'm not feeling the mini's as I used to. I'll go through them soon, thoygh... promise.

@ KrautScienist: You're absolutely right. This tank (as well as the titan) are intended for a 30K IW force - they're traitors, and are 'no-nonsense' as all IV forces, but even then this tank is slick as an eel. Should I have added a couple of skulls on spikes, as I did with the Typhon?

Edit: wrote this reply on a ferry to my house on my phone... Came home and checked spelling. ;)

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

@ Teetengee: Hmmm "inconsistently weathered" is actually very good feedback. I totes admit that I've been a bit low on the hobby mojo recently, and painting this tank has been a bit of a 'going through the motions' kind of thing. Normally I really 'feel' the miniature -moreso with infantry than with tanks, truthfully- as I paint it... But this tank has left me feeling a bit null, so to speak. Dunno what it is, but after my abandonment of the Night Lords and the Imperial Fist project, I'm not feeling the mini's as I used to. I'll go through them soon, thoygh... promise.

@ KrautScienist: You're absolutely right. This tank (as well as the titan) are intended for a 30K IW force - they're traitors, and are 'no-nonsense' as all IV forces, but even then this tank is slick as an eel. Should I have added a couple of skulls on spikes, as I did with the Typhon?

Edit: wrote this reply on a ferry to my house on my phone... Came home and checked spelling. :wink:

I can definitely relate to the hobby mojo issues, I've had those issues lately myself (plus life has been a bit complicated the last couple weeks- not alot of extra time)  As for the tank, that is a mean looking brute. It has that "I really don't want to be in front of it look"  Paint job is beautiful, but I'll go along with Teetengee on the weathering.

The Sicaran is looking to clean for me, great start on the weathering but I think if you put it next to the Typhon there's a marked difference in the amount of staining on the metalwork and paint damage on the chevrons. Maybe try having them next to each other and doing a comparison will spark some ideas.

I totally get the hobby mojo thing by the time the kids are in bed I just don't have the energy to get on with anything let along sculpting work on the knight. I should really as I can do very small 10 min steps as I work up the layers of detail. As for flesh hounds I have a sizeable list before that happens but will try to remember when it does. 

Hmm, yeah, I think you should have. Some skulls, or some Imperial Fist helmets on a length of chain, rattling against the hull (this would be a great way of creating a bit of a shout out to your IF army): While the Iron Warriors are a no nonsense kind of legion, I think that, even during the Heresy, they were already bitter enough to present the skulls of their fallen enemies like that -- just take a look of the lenghts Perturabo would go to if it meant he could humiliate the Fists.

Besides, a carefully place trophy or two would also make it easier to use the tank in 40k as well.

I also can't help noticing that, unlike your last IW tank ith the beautifully faded decals on the doors, this tank seems to lack that kind of "special effect", for lack of a better word. So I think one more pass of detail work would really go a log way here (*cough* as is also the case with your Bloodthirster *cough*). But in terms of the ETL, this is certainly more than sufficient! Maybe you should just get back to it at a later point, when you are more motivated.

@ Pyroclast91: Erm...wouldn't this be a more appropriate subject for the Chaos Strategium? Or are you asking Augustus, specifically?

For what it's worth, I think you should maybe go small, in spite of everything. A Knight is a massive undertaking if you really want to paint it well, and unless you are really psyched for it, the HQs and/or Dreadnought seem like the safer bet.

I posted the wrong post in the wrong page oops ;)

I thought I had the stratageum open bit forgot I had been reading through this thread in a different window...man do I feel dumb lol

Edited by Pyroclast91