++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

The Knight is looking fantastic so far. What color will the trim be again? Now you're seeing the issue I have with the FW Knight as well, it's almost impossible to add heraldry to anything but the tilt shield. Just too much going on and for me the decals were almost impossible to place. 

Love the nurgling bases! Been thinking of doing that with some of the extras myself. I'll likely be doing some reposing on the other bases to. Not sure if I love the "nurgling pyramid" of the standard bases.  That Pox bringer is dead sexy!! Great use of that model. I might have to loot that idea myself. The knight looks great so far as well.

Apologies it has been so long since I updated this thread, everyone. Life decided it would be a good time to put both I and my girlfriend on sick leave, so we've been holed up in the house for four weeks. Imagine being with your SO in the same house 24/7 for four weeks, when you're both not feeling all that well. I love her to death, but I really wanted to make that happen sometimes, lol. Luckily, this situation is now over, so...

Hidden Content
giphy.gif

But, when life gives you lemons, you build and paint a Renegade Knight, apparently. :biggrin.:

HERE HE IS!!

IeVUMwj.jpg

dSAtIb3.jpg

iehSfkS.jpg

FAIHMD0.jpg

Gd7GMHm.jpg

And some details:

ZVksLQA.jpg

mC4Vh69.jpg

Plus, of course, the interior!
uIb90sK.jpg

qcWTZVw.jpg

And, since he's magnetized, an alternative loadout!
QmtFpkR.jpg

Hurray!

Now, it took about six weeks to finish this thing from zero, so it's perfectly possible to finish the two Renegade Armiger Helverins I need to do before the GT the weekend after next, right? Right. 

Comments and feedback most welcome!

He'll get a name, as will his driver, but since I need to make dinner now, that'll have to wait.

Cheers!

Replies:

@ Maarten: 2020, it's a date! And thanks!

@ ElDuderino: Red and Bronze is the way to go, as long as there is something to break it up. Look at Kraut's Gilgamesh Knight - it has blues, blacks and steel parts. Also, with magnets, you don't have to decide on the loadout!

@ Biohazard: He's finished, let me know what you think! 

@ DuskRaider: There's actually not a single decal on there! 

@ KrautScientist: Morbäck/Plaguebones influence? Where? 

@ rednekkboss: Lots of nice things said about lots of models! Thanks, buddy!

@ Nemac Vradon: As it turned out, the horn-beard made the head not fit properly, so I had to cheat a little. Shhhh :wink:

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Dang, buddy, that Knight is a towering achievement indeed! Brilliant work!

I especially love how you have successfully countered the goofiness of those FW Renegade Knight armour plates by painting the remains of a fairly strict heraldry on top -- it's an effect I don't think I have seen used like that before, and it really works! Also, that cockpit is such a neat conversion, and even better when painted! The cast on the pilot does seem a bit dodgy, though, and I wonder if you could actually camouflage that with a few more painting tweaks.

If I have one issue with the model, it's that I think the head doesn't really read as a point of focus when looking at the entire piece -- weirdly enough, this problem kinda resembles a similar issue on your Nurglite Daemon Prince, and I think the solution would be the same as before: Maybe his head/facemask/helmet needs some red? Either as a red stripe running down the forehead, or some red on those side panels?

I also think the blue jewel/Eye of Horus ornament on his shin guard would work better if you were to take its centre to an even brighter colour: The very center should be almost white. Right now, it looks a bit too much like this big blue piece of candy.

Such minor issues notwithstanding, however, fantastic work all around! :)

@ KrautScientist: Morbäck/Plaguebones influence? Where?

The bone white and red look really resembles Morbäck's paintjob for his Plaguebone army, is what I meant. Plus I remember linking you to one of his Knights for inspiration, so maybe you did take some of that look onboard for your own model? A certain resemblance is certainly there.

What a beauty!

I agree with kraut about the heraldry, it is such a cool idea and strangely original. I can't seem to recall another chaos knight using it, most are fairly simple scheme wise. This of course makes sense if the knight is aligned with a certain warband, and makes for cohesive army, but now I really want to try something similar.

The conversion work is of course cool as hell too, but this is one of the few cases where a paintjob steals the show for me.

Absolutely immense, I love this thing and the echo the thoughts of the others, the colour scheme and execution are fantastic. It's really making me try to figure out how to do mine well. Such a wicked model, I only wish I could see it live and examine it for ages like I do with the mini"s in the cases at Warhammer World.

I really really like it. It's suitably corrupted and twisted, yet still is recognizably knightly. The heraldry, tilt shield and helmet go a really long way in retaining that classic aesthetic. Sort of like Nightmare from Soul Calibur; a monster, but with a recognizable foundation.

Fantastically well done, as the others have said, it's refreshing to see the adherence to heraldry even with all the corruption.

I would agree with Kraut regarding the eye and head, however.

Thanks for the fantastic feedback on the Knight, guys. I guzzled it up and spat out this new and improved version, with a more pronounced face. The reason I did the armour plates of the face in relatively dark brown and the skull in bone was that, well, skulls are bone-coloured. As I didn't want the faceplate to be red completely, I decided for the other primary colour on the Knight: Dryad Bark. But I totally agreed with your critique - so I milled it over and considered a ton of options: alternating red and brown stripes on one side, making the entire faceplate bone, etc. But none were satisfactory. Then I wanted to comment on a whatsapp discussion with a Skeletor Gif, and lo and behold in my search appeared an image of the Marvel villain Red Skull! That opened things up and here is the result (oh and I also added some transfers here and there):

jKKLU5c.jpg

0waSIaN.jpg

Note the three sword heraldry for House Atrax :)

82HDM3N.jpg

tPZuxLx.jpg

Additionally, I heared you, Krauty, on the blue on the Eye of Horus. So I improved that too:

a9Eqxnz.jpg

He immediately feels better!! Thanks guys!

Let me know what you think?

Cheers

Replies!

@ KrautScientist: well, this entire post is a reply to your much appreciated feedback, so there ;) About the Mörbeck influence, that really isn't there: the bone+red of the Knight is chosen because I want the Knight to look good next to both my 30K-coloured Death Guard and my 40K-coloured World Eaters :) I understand the comment and acknowledge the similarity between my and his colour scheme, though - but the reason for mine isn't his :)

@ BCK: Thanks, I hope you like the changes I made!

@ Sgt. Blank: Cheers! Yes, that was a chore, but well worth it. 

@ Nemac Vradon: It's hidden! ;)

@ ElDuderino: I never considered the heraldric colours not applying to Chaos Knights, really - I only realize it's something  not seen often now that you guys have pointed it out. Renegade houses have livery too, no?

@ Maarten: Eye of Horus altered too! :tu:

@ Bjorn Firewalker: It's undivided, but there is a Nurgle symbol hidden somewhere. I didn;t want to do it, but I had to hide the Cog Mechanicus and I didn;t have Chaos Stars left in my bits box... :(

@ Kizzdougs: Thanks  a bunch, Kizzy!

@ Pandoras Bitz Box: You're more than welcome to if you ever visit Amsterdam :)

@ Hungry Nostraman Lizard: Ha! 'Hell Season' That sounds a bout right, yes. Take care, brother. 

@ SkimaskMohawk: Cheers, I'll have to research that thing, but I appreciate the intent!

@ Pearson73: Thanks, and alterations made!

@ Freakshow668: Wow, thanks!

Knight looks amazing!  And awesome you are going to the Alliance Open GT? Looking forward to meet you there!

Lets have a beer or two!

Edited by teku

Love the finished product, I like the previous bone faceplate as well but the red still works really well. Great job with the Heraldry it’s something I’ve been struggling to come up with for my own Knight household.

Yeah, it turned out alright I guess..

... no really, it looks great. I love the striping and the way you've mixed in the heraldry throughout the entire model.

I actually liked the face more when it was bone colored, all you really needed was either a large red stripe or two thin ones on either side. In any case, it definitely draws attention to it now.

Also, make sure you got that Thermal Cannon(s) painted up too, they're insidious against other Knights.