++ AUGUSTUS b'RAASS ++ pre-heresy BRASS SCORPION p.247

Gotta agree with the other guys, the bone worked a bit better. The full red feels comic bookey (perhaps appropriately from your inspiration) in that he's identified as the big bad guy. My suggestion for red on the faceplate would be osl eyes, in the style of kizzdougs or luthermax. You get the original bone colour, as well as a menacing badguy focal point.

I was actually fine with the old face plate but I always push the importence of contrast. These things are a work of art and you want people to appreciate the whole thing. The new faceplate does just that I reckon and although the coulour may seem extreme by comparison to a lot of your other projects I think it compliments the hereldry really well.

Thanks for the comments, guys!

I finished chaosifying the first Armiger Helverin, hurray! Lots of sculpting done :)

ok990mm.jpg

NQrqSIU.jpg

C96nDcv.jpg

dOSiNzk.jpg

gs4glh5.jpg

I also fixed the pilot's left arm, which was damaged in the process of trying to fit him inside...

bSpXJhy.jpg

That's it! I hope you like him as much as I enjoyed sculpting this 'little' guy. Let me know what you think!

I'm also far into sculpting the next guy, and I ran out of skulls from the citadel skull kit! I literally used all of them since I bought the kit in early December 2017... So lemme go and buy a new set and finish guy number two...

Thanks for looking. :tu:

Cheers

Replies!

@ teku: Hey that's great! I'm bringing the Knights, so look for them and you'll find me :) Beers will be consumed.

@ Pearson73: Thanks, mate! My girfriend says the same, she now knows where is face is. ;)

@ Atia: Weathering will be a thing - I'll just do it at the same time as the armigers so it'll look consistent. 

@ Biohazard: Look online for heraldry - there's so much stuff out there. I find the easier ones are best - so you can freehand them. 

@ DuskRaider: Ugh, I am also in two mindds about it. Perhaps I should go back to it - but that will be after the two GTs I'm attending this month. Re: Thermal Cannon: will do! ;)

@ SkimaskMohawk: That's an idea, although the eyes on these guys are blue.... You suggestions are most welcome, though, so please keep 'm coming. :)

@ Hungry Nostraman Lizard: Cheers!

@ Pandoras Bitz Box: Well, thanks for the kind words, buddy! You're too nice!

@ rednekkboss: DO IT!

That knight is out of this world buddy! I love it! I really like what you did with the red faceplate

And the Armiger is looking just as terrific. I might have to steal that toe spike idea for my renegade sentinel...

Cheers, guys. 

Lots of work today on the other Armiger Helverin (btw, St. Blank, Hell-verin is so apt, no? I think maybe heldrake and helbrute are of the same ilk?) after I bought a new Citadel Skull set today. I dreamt of some details, which the pictures will show translated into this miniature. He's finished and ready for the basecoat! 

6WNbJPo.jpg

dp964oO.jpg

bR4FicK.jpg

utrQy9d.jpg

I particularly love this detail - which came to me in a dream last night. Just add a lower Ork jaw to the face!

PRn1r8Y.jpg

And of course, with interior:

Q94QvFk.jpg

5efRAaW.jpg

Thanks for looking. Let me know what you think of this guy, and, if you haven;t already, of the last one. :)

Cheers!

Replies:

@ DuskRaider: Yeah... I kinda agree. I thought about actually getting the Helverin Rotary (mini)guns from Shapeways' Pop Goes The Monkey, but they're so expensive!

710x528_23412817_12945122_1526316733.jpg

@ Sgt. Blank: Nothing will be done about the arms - just like with the Questor Knight, the business end will be stock. 

@ Greenz: Steal away, buddy!

I've always been a fan of autocannons, both rules and aesthetics, and think they look great on the model. I mean, 8 autocannons on a dreadnought is why I got a Leviathan in the first place.  

These guys looks super cool. I actually don't mind how these guns look, I think they kind of look like Lance's, maybe that's me subconsciously justifying the aesthetic.

Nice greenstuffing! I wasn't to chaosify my friends Knight some more and I was thinking of adding some teeth to the edges of the armour. How do you make your teeth, do you have a little wire core in there to sculpt against?

Waitaminute, is that one of my Pestigor on the base?!

It looks great, man. And I know about those Miniguns, they're definitely way too expensive. Maybe it's the shields on the guns. I don't know.

Cant wait to see paint on these. I'm assuming the same scheme as the Knight, yeah?

@ BCK: I love autocannons too, actually. And the weird thing is, now that you've reminded me they're actually autocannons, the awkwardness I feel looking at them disappeared! So thanks :wink:

@ Pandoras Bitz Box: There's no core at all in the 'teeth/nails'. I use a mixture of 2:1 or 1:1 Greenstuff : Milliput, and just sculpt them with my sausage fingers, which are moist with spit. The Milliput makes the putty susceptible to moisture, making it super easy to wet-sculpt with the putty. 

@ DuskRaider: sorry, you ninja'd me on this reply. That is actually one of your Pestigors on the base! I love that you picked up on it - even though I expected it would only come up when they were finished. I thought it would be nice to give a nod to you on one of the bases of these Knights, as I pretty much followed your footsteps in making the army I'm bringing to the Amsterdam and Manchester GTs - Nurgle Death Guard/Daemons + Knights. :tu: 

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

Whew, seems like you're very much on a roll again, buddy! I like that! :)

Regarding the Knight's faceplate, it certainly does draw the eye and created the kind of focus point I was talking about. I would probably have painted the side panels of the helmet red, rather than the faceplate in the middle, personally speaking. Then again, maybe the side panels wouldn't have added that much pop in the first place? Anyway, it may take a bit of getting used to, but if nothing else, it unfailingly draws the eye now, and in a good way, methinks.

The tweaked blues are quite delightful now!

As for the Armigers, you definitely haven't skimped on converting these, in spite of the tight deadline! Fantastic work all around -- I love how their armour now matches the design of the FW pieces (and, by extension, of your bigger Knight). I think you could (and should) do more with the faceplates, though: Adding the lower jaw to the cyclopean one already works really well! Maybe a suggestion of an upper jaw/snout just below the eye might work? And the other guy definitely needs some jaws/forehead spikes/whatever to make him look a bit more evil and a bit less vanilla. And why didn't you do anything to make the cannons look a bit more chaotic? Is it because you are still considering replacing them with those chainguns? I will say that it has taken me a while to warm up to the Helverin guns, but there is something pretty cool and fitting about their lance-like look.

Anyway, brilliant work all around, buddy! :)

P.S. Will reply to your PM later today or tomorrow at the latest, but I do want to give it the time it deserves!

Wow, these armigers are amazing! Such cool work on all the trim and teeth and stuff, it really ties them together with their bigger cousin. I might be biases, but your work looks better than the official FW knight armor. The horns framing the head on the last one is particularly awesome.

Regarding autocannons, i dont really dislike the armigers' guns, never really understood what people have against them. Those gatling guns look mighty brutal though...:wink:

The Armigers are about 70% finished. I will finish them today, but here's an update. 

0rFusDK.jpg

Cheers

Replies:

@ DuskRaider: He'll bite you! ;)

@ KrautScientist: Still thinking about going back to the bone faceplate - with blue OSL. About the faceplates of the Armigers, I really want those to be as unaltered as possible, for I need to do five more and need as many ideas as I can - which I have a limited amount of - ie I'm going to safe weird faces for the other three ;) The cannons... well, these are corrupted, but not completely daemonic - so I'm going to leave the cannons as they are as well. 

@ wiqid: The GS is very elementary - I've only been able to do this after seeing KBC's tutorial. :D

@ ElDuderino: Cheers! That's high praise indeed!

These look wicked, will be cool to see them all together. And thanks inspiring me to try out the trim claws on my friends Knight, I think they are going quite well!

Hmmm... I see what dusk raider is talking about, if you have accidentally glued that one on upside down and can't get it off without damaging it, maybe you could just carefully cut the skull off and turn it the right way up? Hopefully you can just turn the armour plate though.

Edited by Pandoras Bitz Box

I finished the first Armiger! After doing the base colours, I split working on them, as I wanted to give each my undivided attention. So here's pictures!!

4zYlSpN.jpg

g7bfDfg.jpg

r46yhBc.jpg

LRugsqr.jpg

rZpnQmG.jpg

kjaHRFc.jpg

D6r26Nu.jpg

I hope you like them and appreciate your comments and feedback!

Going out to the gym now, after which I'll finish the second one. :D :tu:

Cheers

Replies:

@ teku: I've heard the first round was published but haven't looked at it yet. Good luck and have fun against the soup. 

@ DuskRaider: I didn't glue thse plates, of course - I always paint in sub-assemblies! It was all blutacked on fr a quick snap, which would explain the upside-down thigh plate ;)

@ Pandoras Bitz Box: You're doing your own (or a friend's at least)? Pictures! Show us! Do you have a WIP thread yet? 

@ noigrim: Cheers and welcome to my thread - I haven't seen you comment here before, I think. :D 

The first Armiger is looking fantastic, buddy! You've really come up with an excellent colour scheme for your Knight House, and I am still in awe of that super elegant cockpit assembly. Brilliant job all around! :smile.:

Then again, it wouldn't be me if I didn't have something to complain about, so here goes:

• I think you should swap those heads around again, if that is still possible: The mostly unchanged vanilla faceplate really worked well being framed by those vicious, curved horns, looking more evil and chaotic, whereas the slightly more openly evil looking cyclopean head with the jaw already looks mean enough to get away with the less ostentatious teeth decoration (also, the more regular looking head might work really well with a red stripe down its forehead -- just sayin'...)
  • I noticed that you seem to be adding the decals as the very last step, which leads to them looking squeaky clean and a bit like foreign objects. Therefore, I'd at least suggest a wash of thinned-down Agrax (or, maybe even better, Gryphonne Sepia), to tie them into the rest of the paintjob. Ideally, though, you may want to think about adding decals at an earlier stage and then weather them along with the rest of the carapace, for that extra bit of "realism".
Edited by KrautScientist

Totally agree with Krautscientist on decals, I actually don't like using them at all but when I have in the past I always paint over them so that they don't look perfect.

The Armiger looks fantastic though man, I have two of my own destined to be part of my Ad Mech contingent, very excited to do them now.

The Knight ive been working on is for my friend for christmas and it's the most recent thing in my Thousand Sons WIP Thread. I've been it itching for you to join in and lending your experience! I did mention it waaaaay back when I started it but it was only an off hand comment so I'm not surprised you missed it. Your obviously still more than welcome over there any time!

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/347515-pbbs-thousand-sons-and-daemons-khornate-khristmas/page-7?do=findComment&comment=5190048

Edited by Pandoras Bitz Box