IHF's HH Designs [08/04 Ironwrought/Praevian Consul]

Oh and adding chevrons was a pain in the censored.gif

*pfft* Try painting them....

Well, you could always just not paint them on, but then again, your army might get confused with the best Legion in existence, and we wouldn't want that, would we? msn-wink.gif

Speaking of which, I really hope the rumors about the upcoming novel retconning the Battle of Tallarn to just be between Iron Warriors & Imperial Army aren't true - I needs a massive tank battle between the IV & X Legions to prove once and for all which is the superior armored force - after all, it'd be reasonable to say that there could still be between 40,000 & 70,000 Iron Hands left after the Massacre, and I'm sure they'd be pretty annoyed about Perturabo nicking their dad's hammer :P

Oh great, you lay down the fanwork standard for bloody scars now as well.

Brilliant scheme on an already lean and tidy colour cut. Just as I was sure of my damned loyalties...

This guy has been a long time coming, but here's the design for one of the Golem Heavy Assault Legionaries

gallery_53779_9225_456043.jpg

I've decided to break my original rule - not basing any design on one of the official X Legionaries, because I've realized that looking at Urza's recolours, toning down other schemes to greyscale doesn't replicate the X Legion's colours properly

Have you made any custom rules for the Golems? They look quite interesting and would make a unit much different from Gorgons or Immortals.

I've basically outlined all the rules I'd apply on another thread, but I will be making a full rules profile for them soon.

Anyway, continuing with those forces which had a significant impact on Clan Brannsar, we come to the 109th Grand Batallion of the Iron Warriors, under Warsmith Ozul, later known as 'The Twice Spurned'. The Grand Batallion & X Legion Clan developed a bitter rivalry (the causes of which will be detailed later), which was held most deeply of each formation's elite.

And therefore, here is a Veteran of Warsmith Ozul's Terminator Eilite, the 'Razrukhat':

gallery_53779_9225_128157.jpg

Hi IHF,

I put together a MK3 a while back, with the normal Helm. You're welcome to use it if you want.

The edges are bit rough, but it looks great on a light background.

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n64/UrzaTRi/MK3_ARMOUR_zps50f4c0cb.png

Right, this is something a bit new: colour?! :P

He's a member of a Veteran Tactical squad within the 5th Order, and is a high-ranking figure within the Lodge Incudem.

gallery_53779_9225_473871.jpg

He's the result of a load of thinking I've been doing on the Clan's cultural influences, and how each Clan has its own traditions & practices

Warrior Lodges:

Massacre states that in the X, Lodges were never really a big thing - they existed, but I'd imagine the strong cultural identity of each Clan removed the societal factors that made lodges popular in other Legions. I'd also imagine Lodges would generally be within a Clan, rather than across Clans, although having one or two more or less Legion-spanning Lodges would be a cool way of creating ties between factions which were usually pretty antagonistic.

Within Brannsar, lodges would likely have some controversy, and so it would be frowned upon for warriors of high rank to be active within Lodges, which might have an interesting role on power relationships - with Lodges having their own internal hierarchy, you might have a sergeant / line legionary of significant position within a Lodge regarded with equal respect to a Decurion / Centurion.

The Lodge Incudem:

The main lodge within Brannsar, it basically functions as a link between the Clan and the culture of the Mechanicum, with its customs centering around adapted Cult Mechanicus rituals, in a secular manner. Members of assigned Mechanicum forces might be offered honorary membership of the lodge, and its members would often be techmarines & their ilk, as well as Legionaries who had displayed particular curiosity in regards to the development of new technology.

This veteran and almost all of his squad are members of the Lodge because of the fact they bear the Exemplum Omnus [see below], and as such have an innate understanding of the Mechanicum's practices.

The circuitry patterns displayed on his plate originate with electoos common within Brannsar. Many of the Clan's warriors bear tattoos of ancient circuit designs originating with the Medusan Clan's genesis from the Mechanicum voyagers that formed a portion of the planet's population. Members of the Lodge bear variants of these tattoos, but in bright reds & copper. The highest ranking members of the Lodge may also display such designs upon their power armour, as above.

I'm planning on making the Clan-wide designs (in black / white ) feature relatively regularly across future pics, and I'll show them as facial tattoos on a few of my pencil illustrations.

Exemplum Omnus:

This Veteran's tactical squad was ceded for a decade to a Mechanicum Explorator Flotilla, a task assigned disproportionately to the X Legion. For their service, they have the right to paint their right arm red in recognition, and such warriors are well respected due to the esteem in which the Iron Hands hold the Mechanicum. Because they have been alongside the Mechanicum for so long, these guys are often very accustomed to the traditions of the Cult Mechanicus, and like Techmarines tend to be distanced slightly from the rest of their Clan when they return.

Great stuff as always. The Lodge sure makes things more interesting.

Am I allowed to say that I really like the look of the Iron Warrior? No X Legion hearts broken, eh? msn-wink.gif

Just so long as every time you see an Iron Warriors army, you go 'oh cool, Iron Hands!' wink.png

Here's the profile for the lodge fellah, officially Veteran Legionary Llythe - what does everyone think of the new style?

gallery_53779_9225_125815.jpg

aye the new style is good, the marine and text stand out, i quite enjoyed his fluff and the electoo designs on his armour are cool as funk. i think you would need to put them on a decal sheet, coz i couldn't see those being painted without a teeny tiny brush and lots of expletives :p

Plans for the future:

Upon re-designing & re-sizing the layout of the profiles, I've decided to actually add a semblance of structure to this stuff. What I will be doing next is detailing fluff around the 5th order, of which Llythe here is a part. Not only will that cover individual marine profiles and its structure, but also details of the defense of the Crudelis in the Isstvan system, details on the Ebon Vigil Titan Maniple, info on some of the Mechanicum forces they fought alongside, and some indistinct fluff on their XX Legion opponents. This will help me focus, and also enable me to write some stuff without having to outline previous background again.

There is however, one big question nagging me: should I include weaponry on the Legionary profiles? I can't really make the pages any larger, and fitting this stuff in is a real pain. Also, there is very little variation in the weaponry - most of that comes from the armour itself, and having the extra space allows me to flesh out each marine more. I'll probably still include weapon pics with the profiles for major characters, as they'll have 2 pages, but I don't really feel each Legionary displaying his equipment is useful or space-efficient.

What do you folks think?

In which case: here's that Iron Warrior for all you filthy traitors

Note: the text is really a placeholder to be honest, when I flesh out the details of Ozul & the 109th Grand Company, as well as the Razrukhat, I'll do specific fluff pages, and I'll change this fellah's page to be more in line with the other profiles' fluff, and far less about explaining his formation's history - but with me starting with the 5th Order & working backwards, that'll probably be a while whistlingW.gif

gallery_53779_9225_257235.jpg

Archived