Extremely Tenuous Lighting - Strategium Mode On

Honda

This is just a thought for those who are considering participating in the ETL this year.

For those that are unsure what ETL is about, it's an inter-forum painting competition, whereby participants commit to painting points for their chapter. There's usually a fixed number of times that you can vow, i.e. if you complete your first vow, you can commit to a second, etc. Last year you could commit to a maximum of 5 vows.

The key is, if you commit to a follow on vow and do not finish, then all your other vows points are wiped out, so there are consequences. The period to paint is multi-month and I want to say historically, it's around May 15th  - August 15th, so plenty of time to get things done.

Also, this is not to determine who is the best painter, you are only encouraged to paint to the level you are comfortable with, the real goal is to encourage people to get their armies painted in a fun setting, because that is what it's all about, having some fun.

The first year, I almost ended up not joining in as I wasn't a "real" Templar yet, just a lurker. I had so much fun, I ended up painting something like 1500 points. The next year, I got really fired up and painted 2500 or so points and this was in addition to all the other things I've been painting.

As a community exercise, it really strengthened the bond that we Templars share. We are unlike any other forum out there.

"Why are you bringing this up now Honda?"

It's very simple. This seems so obvious, but it is very true and can have a huge impact on your level of participation. So consider this one simple thing and reflect upon it.

"When you are building, you aren't painting."

Yeah, I know, Yoda said it better, but it is one of those universal hobbying truths. In a fixed period of time, you can build or you can paint, but you really can't do both. We don't do witches, so those Chaos tricks of stepping into another dimension to build, then popping back into reality to paint don't work with us.

We're the good guys, we play by the rules.

So, what does that mean?

"If" and I do mean "If" you are considering participating in ETL, consider building up your inventory of models to be painted. Short of a painting competition or some other sort of exercise that you've committed to, build, build, build. Build away.

Save the painting for later.

Also, from a strategy perspective, a lot of people find that vehicles return a larger points to the pool vs. something simple like a tactical squad. You can and should paint what you want to and/or what you need, but do keep that in mind. If you had a chance to paint either a Land Raider or a tactical squad, a Land Raider gives your vow more points.

So look at what you have going. Take pause, meditate on the words of wisdom,and prepare yourself to unleash your ZEAL!

I've got nearly 100 models of building to get through, and I've primed over 50 to get start painting.... not including the FW stuff, that might get included in ETL because of the new FW book. Then there's the rumored Knight Titans and I don't even know how to cope with all the mountainous hobby I have to go through...

Here's a few food for thought though... a 5-man Centurion Devastator Squad (even a counts as) is 330 pts. waaaay over the Land Raider mark....

We're the only one's in the C:SM that has access to a 20-man Crusader Squad... use it...

We always blame the Emperor's Champion for being overpriced for a single model without extra Equipment... well, in ETL he stays 140 pts... I say take that opportunity biggrin.png

Grimaldus with a 5-man Cenobyte Servitor Squad is the 2nd most expensive HQ unit in the Codex aside for customized HQ... best time to grab Grimaldus and some Servitors...

I know! It's totally bugging me that I've completed my Templars, and with the new IG codex coming up I'ts not looking like I'll be getting extra Templars to the ETL. Maybe, MAYBE I'll get that second Stormtalon and those Sternguard, but I'm holding off until later.

Another possible strategy: Jump Pack chaplains. Do five of them with various weapons.

"Honda, why on earth would I paint FIVE jump pack chaplains?"

"Because my young padawon, after the ETL, you could combine them into one awesome unit and make a Vanguard squad!"

Note: This will be one of my vows.

I do have a problem with the ETL, and that's the fact that my chapter is a DIY paint scheme, though, they are committed to Templar Tactics. Come to think of it, will that further divide the ETL, or have us consilidated in to Codex Marines?

That having been said, I do have 3 Typhoon Land Speeders, Predator, Jump Chaplain, and 8 Vanguards to paint. If I can find some treads for my second hand Phobos Land Raider, I could add that to the list, too.

I need/want at least one Devastator box to fill out my Archer squads and fill in as a Heavy Archer squad at need. We'll see what Uncle Sam and Wifey will allow in time. When does the ETL start again? I might even be able to get an Honor/Command Sqaud built in time, just some Grey Knights, Templar upgrade sprues, and the Mortificator upgrade set...

HMMMMmm My Over zealous kinsmen We of the codex will surpass you this year!!!!

Oh, smack talk so soon. Tsk, tsk. We shall see, won't we.

After all, many speak.

Few deliver.

@Kristoff: We do not judge a Templar by the color of his armor, but by the zeal* in his heart.

* I.e. Zeal = Chapter tactics. You're a Templar as far as we're concerned. Always have been.

Actually, and this is only an idea, we could make our own, little pre-ETL "assembly competition". We would just need someone able with some graphic processing software who has some time to spare to prepare a nice banner badge for the participants. That would be a great community project :)

Actually, and this is only an idea, we could make our own, little pre-ETL "assembly competition". We would just need someone able with some graphic processing software who has some time to spare to prepare a nice banner badge for the participants. That would be a great community project smile.png

I just finished base coating 200+ models, why do you torment me so!

Maybe a consolation banner for those people like Tek over here, who just finished their stuff a few days prior to the announcement of the competition? Just to show we don't discriminate against hard working hobby-ists who, unlike many of us, don't need social pressure and incentives in the shape of fancy banners to complete our army?teehee.gif

Yeah, last year I painted three Storm Ravens and two Caestus "just" before the ETL kick off.

The timing is what it is and we can't always work our schedules and needs around the ETL.

However, we are still Templars and that means we do the best we can with what we do have.

That's what hacks everybody else off about us.

We don't care about the details.

We have zeal.

So I am thinking about participating in this ETL. I finally have some BT models, and have a few games under my belt and am excited to get this stuff going. I have already painted up quite a bit of my army already, but still have the LRC, honor guard, a ven. dread, stormtalon, dev squad and crusader squad yet to paint. So you can look forward to my submissions.

Definitely will be participating again, last year's event was fun and it forced myself to get a lot of models built and painted.

Maybe we should have our own pre-ETL challenge where we vow to have certain models built and ready to be painted by May?

Also with regards to strategy of what to paint up for the ETL. Everyone should paint up a chapter master with artificer armour, thunder hammer/fist, and shield on bike. Easy 200+ points!

hrm.... I still have many models that I had during last year's ETL that still aren't painted... Although I am working on getting a very large model painted atm. Very hard to do when working full time =(

This year I have to participate and redeem myself of the failure that was last year, right now Im in the slow process of repainting my crusade which hasnt really begun because I want to give everyone tabards and new chainswords but I will have stuff to paint come the new ETL hopefully we wont get rolled into a single faction with the rest of the Angels of Death chapters because one, it'd be boring and two it'd be way too one sided unless the BT zeal has died down from the past 2 years which I hope hasnt.

I hope that the Angels of Death Chapters actually get divided... each one gets a Chapter Tactic now anyway, not to mention that nearly every Chapter could actually have a Chapter Successor... so why not divide the old Angels of Death to their own Chapter Tactics?

Aside for the FW Chapter Tactics ofcourse...

I've finished priming nearly 80 various sword Bretheren, initiates,

honor guard and emperors champion... do this count as a head start?

Priming is fine, but hold the line there.

Regarding whether or not we get put in with all the SM chapters, I'm inclined to say, we're all one happy codex now, let's rock. My reasoning is that if you single a chapter out (for whatever reason), you move from the realm of objective grouping (by codex) to subjective (executive order). So being from the KISS school of thought, I say let's all party together.

After all, we're just trying to have some fun.

The other thing to keep in mind is the logistics associated with this effort. We only have to paint.Think about what Captain Semper has to do.

...and "No" he hasn't been that bad. :)

Pff.. Templars with support from the codex marines? Never gonna happen. They'll be way too scared of that over in the green skirt wearing boards ;)

I got loads of stuff ready to be painted. Two LRs, a storm raven (that I need to build), two storm talons (working on those, shameless plug to my WIP) and more infantry than I know what to so with.

I missed last year's ETL but I am looking forward to this one. I sure hope to be able to get some stuff painted.

No Pity! No Remorse! No Fear!

Since I am unable to paint for less than a couple of hours at a stretch, I haven't been able to paint at all lately, which means I've been doing exactly this -- building. I'd rather be painting, but the Stones have a song about always getting what you want. I had the ETL in mind anyway.

Here's a link to the gallery containing the things I've built lately. There's quite a hoard (or horde -- take your pick): http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/gallery/album/9285-overwhelmed/

In addition to these, I have another 12 jump assault troops primed, a stormtalon unprimed, 3 devastator squads primed but which may never see a paintbrush, a primed predator and rhino ... I think that's it. Whether or not any of these see a paintbrush for the ETL depends on how much time my wife allows me in the short period after the Very Large and Important Exam on 6Jun this year and before rotations begin on 7Jul. If I paint anything in the meantime, I'll try to keep it to the low point-value items. I wonder if the ETL will allow Forge World units this year?

Enough babbling. Back to the books.

~K

Pff.. Templars with support from the codex marines? Never gonna happen.

They'll be way too scared of that over in the green skirt wearing boards

Before we get on our high horses :) , may I remind you that we lost ETL2 by over 10,000 points. Yes, that's "ten" with a "thousand" behind it.

Did we turn in an amazing amount of points last year? Yes.

It was still less than the year before and as stated above, the "men in skirts" dominated the contest throughout, especially at the end. We surprised a lot of people by zealously coming out of the distance to snag second, but realistically, first place was never in doubt after about the third week or so.

So do think about that as well.

Pff.. Templars with support from the codex marines? Never gonna happen.

They'll be way too scared of that over in the green skirt wearing boards

Before we get on our high horses smile.png , may I remind you that we lost ETL2 by over 10,000 points. Yes, that's "ten" with a "thousand" behind it.

Did we turn in an amazing amount of points last year? Yes.

It was still less than the year before and as stated above, the "men in skirts" dominated the contest throughout, especially at the end. We surprised a lot of people by zealously coming out of the distance to snag second, but realistically, first place was never in doubt after about the third week or so.

So do think about that as well.

Still, their codex had just come out, and a lot of new players with Dark Vengeance kits were adding their 2 bits in to the fray. We'll have to see how it works this year.

Archived