Extremely Tenuous Lighting - Strategium Mode On

Honda

So Ive got a razorback, around 30 initiates, 2 chaplains, an emperors champion and a squad of Vanguard Sword Bretheren.

The emperors champion I'm planning to use is a kit bash, and I've included a shield as part of his Armour of Faith. Is this gonna be ok, or should I delve into magnet arms?

Well, I would have no problem with a shield on a templar, it's kind of our thing :P

It would also allow you to run your Champ as a marshal with storm shield etc too, should you choose to. Just always be clear for your opponent whether a shield is decorative or you've paid the points for one.

How is the team coming along?

I have not finished my LotD squad yet, but I have taken a side road to put together a Stormsword. I'll come back to the LotD shortly...well, not shortly, when the Stormsword is built. Those Baneblade chassis' are a load. :|

So a lgs near by where I just moved to is going out of business as the proprietor is in his mid 90's and can't handle running the store anymore...

Anyways... so um... due to close out pricing on even GW products I might have come into the possession of some more stuff...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/100304934@N04/13002031574/

So add to that the two storm talons that I mentioned earlier, the two rescue project LRCs, three other centurions with grav-cannons and amps, and an Imperial knight I also managed to pick up as well... I wonder what the Captain Semper will rule on those guys... and some other stuff I can't remember right now (all the rest of my stuff is still a few states away until I get the rest of my stuff mailed to me latter this month.)

So a lgs near by where I just moved to is going out of business as the proprietor is in his mid 90's and can't handle running the store anymore...

Anyways... so um... due to close out pricing on even GW products I might have come into the possession of some more stuff...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/100304934@N04/13002031574/

So add to that the two storm talons that I mentioned earlier, the two rescue project LRCs, three other centurions with grav-cannons and amps, and an Imperial knight I also managed to pick up as well... I wonder what the Captain Semper will rule on those guys... and some other stuff I can't remember right now (all the rest of my stuff is still a few states away until I get the rest of my stuff mailed to me latter this month.)

Sorry to hear that another local game store is closing- but congratulations on the treasure trove you've managed to pick up.

My guess is that Knights will count for the Mechanicum guys, or be a seperate entry, we probably won't be allowed to count them for BT. Which won't stop me from painting one anyway, assuming I get my hands on one in time for the challenge.unsure.png

So, assuming we've got the challenge in the same timeframe as last year, we'd start around May-June right?

Greggles list.

Hunter/Stalker

Stormtalon

Leviathan Crusader (15mm)

10x Snipers

10x Sternguard

Refit of stormraven and command rhino with forgeworld doors.

(Depending on when ETL starts)

Imperial Knight

Contemptor Dread

Sicarian Legion Tank

Master of the Forge

Terminator Chaplain

Greggles list.

Hunter/Stalker

Stormtalon

Leviathan Crusader (15mm)

10x Snipers

10x Sternguard

Refit of stormraven and command rhino with forgeworld doors.

(Depending on when ETL starts)

Imperial Knight

Contemptor Dread

Sicarian Legion Tank

Master of the Forge

Terminator Chaplain

And suddenly, I feel like a mere neophyte with my own sad and small to do-list. sad.png

So while we are here planning, let's think about a little strategy.

In the first year, we pledged a decent amount of slightly lower point pledges, focusing on getting as many Templars as we could to participate. Also, during the "enrollment" period, we started adding to our pile of finished efforts. Although we didn't have as many participants as other chapters, the fact that we were close enough, but were turning out multiple vow, meant that at the end, our moderate number + zealous number of additional vows really through us over the finish line.

Last year, we didn't get many, if any at all, during the enrollment period. The Men in Skirts did. We went for slightly larger vows compared to the previous year, whereas the DA followed our previous year's strategy. Although we were staying mostly on target (excluding the crash in Week 9), the fact that it was taking us longer to finish a vow, meant that we weren't able to capitalize on any momentum. The DA did very well in this area.

Also towards the end of contest, the DA because they had more people and had more completions were also able to surge at the end to overwhelm everyone. We surged too, to the tune of around 20K points. The DA still beat us by 10K points. Think about that.

So it makes sense to now, look at what you have, parcel it out in reasonable sized chunks and be ready. Yes, the "super" vows (i.e. multi-thousand vows) are exciting when they come in, but sometimes they don't. That hurts the team. Also, only vow what you are sure you can do. This isn't a case of who can puff out their chest the furthest, let somebody else run with that. We dusted everyone the first year because we were the most focused and the most consistent.

Now having said all that, this is really about having some fun and painting some figs. This is not supposed to be intense or something that you dread. If you're not the kind of person that likes to paint to deadlines, then just be here and cheer the Templars on. No matter who finishes with the most points, we all win. We all get stuff painted that we can play with. So don't get all twisted up about what you're going to contribute because at the end of the day, no one person "wins" this. It takes a team. The first year, we were the most effective team. It was really fun for us because nobody expected us to finish ahead of the Art students (BA) or the Skirts (DA). But we did and that was a great victory.

However, in the immortal words of Castellan David Lee Roth, M2, "Success is never permanent and failure is never final". The DA took that to heart and whipped everyone. Bad. They did a great job of getting a lot of numbers, turning in multiple vows, and they had a few super vows that really put them over the top. More importantly, they were the most effective team. So we learn from that.

So we put on our helmets, build up our inventory, strap our swords to our sides, and get ready to charge out the ramps and kick some butt.

And then we go out and have some fun!

SO just to be clear, I can make a single vow which is multiple choices from the codex, right?

For example, for a single vow:

Captain with Powermaul and Power Sword; 140

Crusade Squad - 7 Initiates, 1 Sergeant; 133

Rhino APC; 50

Total Vow = 327 points?

Yup, and then once you're done that first vow (you will complete it, right?), you can make another, up to a certain number. Plan carefully, in sizable but manageable chunks, so you produce enough but also are safe in case of real life emergencies.

For example, for a single vow:

Captain with Powermaul and Power Sword; 140

Crusade Squad - 7 Initiates, 1 Sergeant; 133

Rhino APC; 50

Total Vow = 327 points?

That's a great size for a first vow. First off, it helps you get your pace established. Once you know how long that takes to complete, then you can get a feel for how much you might accomplish with any follow on vows.

I would expect that the 5 vow limit to be in place again. Apparently, the unlimited number of vows, though cool, was a logistical nightmare.

We'll be able to talk more tactics once we see what all the rules are and how close we are to kicking off.

Since I missed last years due to having twins I am super prepped and have a back log of models.

Question is since we are space marines now are we allowed to paint:

A) secondary detachments, say LotD?

B ) imperial knights?

C) escalation units? ie thawks, war hounds, reavers?

D) stronghold assault units?

E) apoc units?

F) kill team units?

Curious as I will hold off painting many of these new units if these can qualify. Reason I ask with all the rapid rules changes I am hoping to see the ETL this year accommodate more of these new models than in previous years since all of these are legal units in standard games with the exception of the apoc units.

I'm pretty sure Capt. Semper and his secretive Chapter are discussing the same thing now....

I pity the poor Captain sometimes, the amount of things that GW has changed since last year to this year must putting a wrench in his pipe works...

But then... the DA did win last year so.........

STEEL THY SELVES AND PREPARE BROTHERS!

A STORM OF PAINTS, MODELS AND CONVERSIONS ARE COMING!

HOLD FAST AND WET YOUR BRUSHES!

SOON VICTORY WILL BE OURS ONCE AGAIN!

Pep talk shenanigans :p

Well I've never actually participated only having done the Crusade Expansion vows so I definitely want to this year. As you've probably seen I'm currently building some new Sternguard Tactical Sword Brethren so they will definitely be in(a full 10 man too!)  I've also got various unpainted and unassembled vehicles including a LRC.  So that might be a possibility. Plus I have a bunch of assault marines that I'm going to make into both assault squads and vanguard.

Here's a list of what I can think of off the top of my head

Definitely doing

Sternguard - Full 10 man, w/Melta, HF, and several combis

Assault squad - Probably just a 5 man with a PW and two flamers

Vanguard - Between 5-8 with a few PW's and jump packs

Rhino - at least 1, I think I might have another

Maybe doing

LRC

TDA of some sort

Neophyte's - probably as a squad unless I also do some crusaders

That's about all  can think of atm. I'll look this weekend at my boxes of stuff and see what else I've got.

Mood music...I love red...

As the good Marshal stated, all will be revealed by the Good Captain. It is a safe bet that anything currently in the C:SM is fair game. What we are waiting to hear is how far beyond the base codex will valid entries go.

@Ace: This is up to you, but you might consider getting a ruling from the Captain as to whether or not your Eagle could be considered. Assuming it's not at the point where you're just painting on crosses, send him a pic and ask for a ruling.

@MR: That is quite a first vow. You know yourself better than  anyone, but do also keep in mind one of our "weapons" is the multiplier of ZEAL, which gets generated when brothers turn in multiple vows, regularly spaced. I think that last year, that was one of the things that marked us out over the previous year. Last year, people jumped on these larger vows and then you'd never hear from them again until the end. So the rest of the community didn't benefit from the psychological value of seeing "something" get done each week. It takes a fair number of people, given their different work habits, to have a completion each week. Also keep in mind that we're going to have quite a few people who have never participated in an ETL this year, so a lot of the veteran's performance is in showing how you do this. Just something to consider.

Cheers,

Archived