Psychopomps (photos before farewell!)

Kierdale

Thanks, Xenith. That's the ones. See now that I didn't remember exactly how you had them: on too rather than just rotated horizontally. I'm sure I'll be making at least one more -probably two- NM squads, so I might try to remember to do that next time.

I'll have to have another look through your thread to see what else I can steal :D

Would you look at that!

New Mod and he's already bossing people around, swinging his authority about! :D

N-no, master. Will this mean a whipping?

But in all seriousness: I'm still busy with the IG/Tyranid diorama. Doing the bugs at work and the base at home. Once the base is done I can get back to my NM at home. All depends on my family and how much hobby time I can get.

Photos at last!

First up some WIPs of the tongue squad (as opposed to the horn squad. At the moment that's how I differentiate them. No names yet).

All but the blast master-wielder himself.

gallery_63428_9407_17833.jpg

Rotated the backpack vents as I had seen someone else on the B&C do it (who exactly...escapes me, sadly) and I like the look. Added some more spare vents to shoulder pads.

As yet backpackless boy.

gallery_63428_9407_3485.jpgmed_gallery_63428_9407_23357.jpg

Short tongue grumpyface.

gallery_63428_9407_16511.jpgmed_gallery_63428_9407_41828.jpg

Other.

gallery_63428_9407_3269.jpggallery_63428_9407_10797.jpggallery_63428_9407_27354.jpg

Champion

gallery_63428_9407_41835.jpggallery_63428_9407_21987.jpggallery_63428_9407_7233.jpg

Still some GS filling to do. Some have bells attached to their backpacks: I need to add them to the backpacks of the other members of this squad (it's likely to be a tongue-squad only feature) and GS some rope around where they attach to the backpack. At the moment the rope simply sprouts from the metalwork.

The champion will have a couple of spiritstones in his left hand. Perhaps one in the curve of his tongue.

Backpack will just be pinned in place.

And the champion of the second squad.

He will have a wounded Eldar guardian kneeling before him. The champion's left arm will be a (GS'd) tentacle holding the guardian's head. The guardian will be bleeding heavily from a inner thigh injury where the champion kneed that spike into him (I figure Eldar have femoral arteries too), and is about to have that kris knife driven into him. Yes, the champion's right hand will be bare skin (he likes to feel the vital fluids...).

The bolter sheath on his left leg will get GS straps going around his leg. I'll try to make it look like stitched skin.

med_gallery_63428_9407_33394.jpgmed_gallery_63428_9407_16686.jpg

Talking of skinning, I have a nice skin-sheathed knife from the Ungor kit which I intend to give to the champion of my third NM squad. Tongues and bells for one squad, horns for the second, skin for the third.

Aaand I'll be picking up my first two blast master sets this weekend.

looking gooood there brother kierdale

great knife on this guy though i wonder if the bolter would look better further up his thigh as to me at the moment it looks a little awkward

Thanks for the advice, Daemonclaw. I've already done the GS work and fixed it in place, so there's no going back now, but I think I did at first try it on his left thigh but the weapon and holster was longer than his thigh...

We'll see how it turns out when it's painted. Will mostly be hid behind the kneeling Guardian anyway.

Oh, is anyone knowledgeable about Eldar? I'm not but as I understand it they wear those soul stone thingies so that when they die Slaanesh doesn't get their soul. Ergo if that champion who is about to stab the guardian had removed the stone from the Eldar's armour before killing him ...then basically Slaanesh would be happier, right?

Edited by Kierdale

You're right on the button with the Soul Stones. Capturing those stones would be another good one. Smash them before they can get the souls back to the ship's and it's fun time for Slaanesh.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for that, Forte.

Got another NM 90% finished last night.

I'm still dithering deliberating over their colour scheme. I'm moving away from a black base as my Scythes have a fair bit of black on them.

Current thoughts:

[1] Light pink plate with clean & bright silver trim (and a few other plates here and there). Pastel green and blue for spot colours (topknots, etc.). Rather than Nuln Oil to shade the silver, how about purple?

[2] Light pink plate with pale blue trim.

[3] Light pink plate with pale green trim.

[4] Light pink plate with pale green and blue trim.I'll be getting some push-fits this weekend (hopefully!) and will test some schemes. I'm leaning toward the first one before even starting.

Have also thought up some more background and explanation why they're based/modelled fighting Eldar (aside from the whole Slaanesh thing). Eldar have emotions far more powerful/sensitive than humans...the Psychopomps seek to experience excess...all needs writing up sometime. Maybe a bit of background beyond their initial corruption.

Edited by Kierdale

Quote from the Warhammer 40'000 Compilation (1st ed yellow book), from a short story about a battle between Eldar and a Slaanesh warband. 

''Now the Keeper of Secrets emerged onto the ridge top, holding the shattered body of a Banshee over its head. It stood there silhouetted against the sunlight and roared its contempt of the enemy below. It plucked the brightly-glowing waystone from the woman's armour and popped it in its mouth like a sweetmeat. A look of obscene pleasure passed across its face a it consumed the soul contained within.''

so get swallowing them gems as the soul still goes to slaanesh, :D

Thanks, SlaveToDarkness!

There's a slim, slim chance my old copy of the Compilation can be found at my parents' place. Will have to have a look next time I'm back in Blighty.

I have a question of pose.

One of the NM has a trophy shuriken catapult.

Do I pose him as if about to try a shot with it:

med_gallery_63428_9407_57982.jpgmed_gallery_63428_9407_35375.jpg

Or just posing with his trophy

med_gallery_63428_9407_63921.jpg

Which do you think looks better?

you need a diamond one

http://www.gifwave.com/media/554092/metalocalypse-dethklok-murderface-william-murderface-codpiece.gif

*ahem* http://pics.livejournal.com/zsomeone/pic/000b6pqr    Caution - Rude

• 2 weeks later...

First up some pink practice on the pushfits.
Paint's too thick in places, lining looks too thick but will be cleaned up after the other colours go on (and those paints are in the post). Basically used these three to experiment (with pinks, with freehand and with my wet palette and blending) before I attack the squads.

gallery_63428_9407_17232.jpg

gallery_63428_9407_5469.jpggallery_63428_9407_12021.jpggallery_63428_9407_1398.jpg

gallery_63428_9407_8503.jpggallery_63428_9407_12969.jpggallery_63428_9407_18794.jpg

gallery_63428_9407_45242.jpggallery_63428_9407_2027.jpggallery_63428_9407_43524.jpg

Tried a bit of a labyrinth on that last one's shoulderpad. Probably a bit too ambitious but one must experiment. Might try again on something larger like a tank panel.

Along with my blast masters it'll need hairdryer-straightening, but here's the WIP of my Dark Apostle (could double as a NM champion)'s backpack.

med_gallery_63428_9407_47877.jpgmed_gallery_63428_9407_19238.jpg

Faces are from Dark Elf Witches (as I'll instead be using the masked faces for daemonette conversions). Rather than painting them up as skin, I'll be doing them as if they're the hacked-off faces of Eldar statues. The Psychopomps have it in for the pointy-ears.

And the second NM squad's construction is complete.

Forgot to take a close up of the blast master wielder but he's got a Howling Banshee loincloth (or flag...it's a bit too wide for a loincloth) over his knee while he wails to the skies.

gallery_63428_9407_23914.jpg

Champion about to sacrifice a guardian.

Forgot to remove his spirit stone thingy and scar the armour around it. Must remember to do so before painting.

gallery_63428_9407_29670.jpggallery_63428_9407_14607.jpg

Not sure of his one's head pose yet. Either facing this way...

gallery_63428_9407_10009.jpg

Or this way...

gallery_63428_9407_20104.jpggallery_63428_9407_1062.jpg

Likewise: chain wrapped or lose to the ground.

Oh, and yes that's a boob....or armour over a boob. Depends how I paint it. Either way it's pierced.

Was not easy to do.

Wow man. You went ALL in. There's nothing left on the table.... you don't mess around. Those are some seriously pink figs!

I have dabbled in Emperor's Children because I love the background. I always, even from day one, saw them as martial perfectionists when most were playing them off as perverts and drug addicts.

But in all my experiments I kept a strong dose of black/silver with the pinks but you did a great job going all in. I really want to see more.

Champion about to sacrifice a guardian.

Forgot to remove his spirit stone thingy and scar the armour around it. Must remember to do so before painting.

gallery_63428_9407_29670.jpggallery_63428_9407_14607.jpg

You don't really have to do anything to the soul stone.

When the guardian is killed, their soul goes into the stone...which is then removed by the noise marine and then either:

A) Worn as a trinket, torturing the occupant forver, and enraging the eldar.

B ) Cracked and offered to Slaanesh

C) Eaten, to gain the power from the sacrifice.

D) Other.

Theyre coming along really nicely.

Edited by Xenith

Looking fantastic there Kierdale. As always your models look awesome, and full of detail. Really love the markings on the shoulderpads - I hadn't thought of using patterns for squad markings but I may have to now. Consider this idea officially yoinked. 

Looking forward to seeing how the scheme translates to the rest of your army. Looking great fella. 

Looking fantastic there Kierdale. As always your models look awesome, and full of detail. Really love the markings on the shoulderpads - I hadn't thought of using patterns for squad markings...

Wait-

I never said-

-squad marki-

Oh great, now I have to do labyrinths on five more guys too! :D

Yoink away, yoink away. :)

They do look extremely pink at the moment but I have the (Baharoth) blue, green and purple Edge paints on the way to add some more colour to them.

Makes me think of Blackadder lol.

I'd go for the second pose.

As for scheme...all of them...and more :wink:

Well, let's go for the Black Russian, shall we? It always terrifies the clergy!

Looking good so far, I love the Eldar idea as well!  Im planning a warband that uses soul stones as decoration.

edit - that codpiece sold for 850 pounds - bargain!

Edited by Emperors Immortals

Thanks, all!

The main reason I wanted to remove that guardian's stone was to use it for another 'Pomp, though I'm probably going to need a lot of those stones as the army goes along so I'd better just get used to GSing them.

Still waiting for the blue, green and purple paints, I did a bit of construction work on a biker, replacing the TL bolters with a meltagun and a cup holder made from a skull.

Have also decided to modify the backpacks of all non-noise marines in the army: remove the stalks and put the ball-vents back in a position similar to loyalist backpacks. The apostle's backpack a few posts up won't look so 'loyalist' either this way.

Hellstriders and Raptors inbound for my birthday at the end of the month. Those'll give me plenty of bitz to really get into the bikers.

Also had an idea today for Spawn from a box of Vamp Count ghouls...combining three or four into each spawn.